Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552757 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12825 on: July 06, 2018, 01:32:03 pm »
does this count as a fluke scope?

bought it new over 25 years ago.

its a real dog and only comes out of the tool box on the very rare occasion when there is a need for a floating isolated measurement.

one of those things with which I never really bonded.  would dump it on ebay in a new york heartbeat.

ps  the probes they supplied with it were total POS.
No I don't think it comes close, but it does however have a use occasionally. If it was on ebay UK then I might consider it but because of its occasional use, the value is lower of course.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12826 on: July 06, 2018, 01:32:57 pm »
That screen would kill me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12827 on: July 06, 2018, 01:34:20 pm »
That screen would kill me.
It's crap really but it is old, screens have got much better since
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12828 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:38 pm »
They have. In fact that was the naff period for dot matrix LCDs. I'm not sure why they did it. I think it was cost related. I had something much worse though; the Casio colour graphic calculators. Yes it was this dire:

Edit: because I can't be arsed this year, a quick profitable enterprise based on supply and demand for you:

1. Buy TI 8x calculators which are being dumped on ebay now at end of school and university terms. £6-15.
2. Wait until September to October and sell them for £40 a pop buy it now.

I did this a couple of years back and made nearly £500 in a week  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:43:31 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12829 on: July 06, 2018, 01:39:53 pm »
one of those things with which I never really bonded.  would dump it on ebay in a new york heartbeat.

No Sir, it's a "New York Minute"....not heartbeat. A New York Minute in elapsed time is actually about 10 seconds, 15 at the most.  :-DD

Example of a New York Minute....if your vehicle is not starting to move while the traffic light is transitioning from red to green you're gonna get honked and perhaps a bumper up your ass.  >:D :P 

Edit...and unlike the UK our traffic lights do not go red, yellow, then green. Ours go directly from red to green. If we had that yellow in between it would cause absolute chaos.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 01:51:14 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12830 on: July 06, 2018, 01:58:06 pm »

No Sir, it's a "New York Minute"....not heartbeat. A New York Minute in elapsed time is actually about 10 seconds, 15 at the most.  :-DD

am not very familiar with NY.   as such, i stand corrected.

swmbo grew up in plattsburg.   but maybe that makes her canadian?
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12831 on: July 06, 2018, 02:03:37 pm »

am not very familiar with NY.   as such, i stand corrected.

swmbo grew up in plattsburg.   but maybe that makes her canadian?

There's a big difference between a New York City resident and a New York State resident, although NYC is part of NYS. Sort of a mutual love/hate relationship.  ::) And yes, Plattsburg is right on the Canadian border.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12832 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:15 pm »

Example of a New York Minute....if your vehicle is not starting to move while the traffic light is transitioning from red to green you're gonna get honked and perhaps a bumper up your ass.  >:D [emoji14] 

Edit...and unlike the UK our traffic lights do not go red, yellow, then green. Ours go directly from red to green. If we had that yellow in between it would cause absolute chaos.  :-DD
Please don't give our government any ideas about adopting your insane traffic lights, they make enough in red light camera fines as it is. Taking away the Amber light would just increase their revenue massively.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12833 on: July 06, 2018, 02:19:48 pm »
They have. In fact that was the naff period for dot matrix LCDs. I'm not sure why they did it. I think it was cost related. I had something much worse though; the Casio colour graphic calculators. Yes it was this dire:

Edit: because I can't be arsed this year, a quick profitable enterprise based on supply and demand for you:

1. Buy TI 8x calculators which are being dumped on ebay now at end of school and university terms. £6-15.
2. Wait until September to October and sell them for £40 a pop buy it now.

I did this a couple of years back and made nearly £500 in a week  :-DD
Yep those casio screens are better then the ones on the amstrad ppc1640 portable computers, they were terrible to read.

Calculators is an idea.. I bet that there will be others doing it now after reading about it. I've done almost £900 in just over 2 weeks now. [emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12834 on: July 06, 2018, 02:25:00 pm »
I’d forgotten about those. Orange or greeen and neither any good :)

Good good. It’s amazing how profitable eBay can be. Shame about the fees :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12835 on: July 06, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »
Later Toshiba laptops used a red screen which was shit as well. To make a character bold it would invert the whole cell.
I’d forgotten about those. Orange or greeen and neither any good :)

Good good. It’s amazing how profitable eBay can be. Shame about the fees :(
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12836 on: July 06, 2018, 02:51:12 pm »
Ugh never saw one of them. I was using an Acorn A420 desktop then. Still the best machine I ever had.

Hmm ebay :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12837 on: July 06, 2018, 02:54:23 pm »

Example of a New York Minute....if your vehicle is not starting to move while the traffic light is transitioning from red to green you're gonna get honked and perhaps a bumper up your ass.  >:D [emoji14] 

Please don't give our government any ideas about adopting your insane traffic lights, they make enough in red light camera fines as it is. Taking away the Amber light would just increase their revenue massively.

We have red light cameras here too. And just for clarification. If the traffic light is green it DOES transition to yellow (amber) and then red. But when I was in the UK I noticed that your traffic lights also transition red, then yellow, then green. Ours don't. Red to green. So yours are "stop", then "get ready", then "go". Ours are "stop", then "go like hell"  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12838 on: July 06, 2018, 02:59:06 pm »
Just remember if you collect this stuff; when you inevitably drop dead someone is going to have to clear your house out ;)

I'm gradually educating the sproglet.

Neatest trick so far is to get her to value a couple of small blue boxes: "a couple of quid each". Unfortunately I didn't have a camera on her eyebrows when I showed her:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382498722260?ViewItem=&item=382498722260

I got them for £30 each at Dunstable hamfest.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12839 on: July 06, 2018, 03:01:29 pm »
We have red light cameras here too. And just for clarification. If the traffic light is green it DOES transition to yellow (amber) and then red. But when I was in the UK I noticed that your traffic lights also transition red, then yellow, then green. Ours don't. Red to green. So yours are "stop", then "get ready", then "go". Ours are "stop", then "go like hell"  :-DD

Decades ago, when traffic lights tended to be electromechanically controlled, there were fewer state in the FSM implementation. That lead to the government information "adverts" promulgating "don't be an amber gambler".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12840 on: July 06, 2018, 03:20:02 pm »
i can report a pretty steady rate of canon fire with occasional volleys of muskets off to my west.

guess gettysburg has been invaded by our annual horde of old fat guys in wool uniforms.

marching around in the blazing july heat and humidity has never made sense to me. 

every couple of years some goober loads a live round by mistake.  some fun hey?

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12841 on: July 06, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »
i can report a pretty steady rate of canon fire with occasional volleys of muskets off to my west.

guess gettysburg has been invaded by our annual horde of old fat guys in wool uniforms.

marching around in the blazing july heat and humidity has never made sense to me. 

A surefire recipe for heatstroke I reckon. Should be chilling not killing or reenactment of killing.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12842 on: July 06, 2018, 04:00:43 pm »

Example of a New York Minute....if your vehicle is not starting to move while the traffic light is transitioning from red to green you're gonna get honked and perhaps a bumper up your ass.  >:D :P 

I would beg to differ. Based on observation in Manhattan, that time interval is 200ms - 800ms, 1.2s at most.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12843 on: July 06, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »

In the interests of mindless pedantry the UK sequence is - Green - Amber - Red - Red and Amber together - Green.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12844 on: July 06, 2018, 04:17:44 pm »

A surefire recipe for heatstroke I reckon. Should be chilling not killing or reenactment of killing.
[/quote]

have a great great grandfather who was in the 149th pa volunteer infantry and another who was a corporal in the 187th.  they got caught up in lincolns draft of 1863.  never saw any reason to go pretend to be them.

but the local hotels and campgrounds sure do like the reenactor invasion.  in fact, it will be impossible to get seated in a restaurant this weekend because the tables will be full of generals.

free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12845 on: July 06, 2018, 04:23:53 pm »

In the interests of mindless pedantry the UK sequence is - Green - Amber - Red - Red and Amber together - Green.

Or in London: Go - Go faster - Ooops - Go - Go.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12846 on: July 06, 2018, 05:51:29 pm »

I was to Gettysburg once. That place is creepy. It gave me the heebie jeebies. All that death. And I'm not a superstitious person but I guess I inherited some of that trait from my Irish ancestors.

Sort of like visiting ground zero. I got within a block of the place about 5 years ago and I had no desire to go any further. Saw the then under construction Freedom tower from that distance. Didn't go anywhere near the twin pools or the museum. No thank you.  :scared: 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12847 on: July 06, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »
The house I lived in before this, the previous occupant was murdered in. It’s why we got it cheap. Death keeps the price down.

Finally got something on the watch list :)

Now I will be outbid :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12848 on: July 06, 2018, 06:01:24 pm »

I would beg to differ. Based on observation in Manhattan, that time interval is 200ms - 800ms, 1.2s at most.

See, he knows!  :-DD When you include all 5 NYC boroughs (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, Staten Island) in the mix you can (sometimes) extend it to the mentioned 10 seconds. But don't bet on it.  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12849 on: July 06, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »
The house I lived in before this, the previous occupant was murdered in. It’s why we got it cheap. Death keeps the price down.

Finally got something on the watch list :)

Now I will be outbid :(

Sometimes you gotta wonder about things. My Supervisor recently picked up a beautiful 2016 Yellow Z06 Corvette liked the one attached. The car was purchased 2 years ago by a middle age guy. The day he went to pick up the car the minute he sat in the car he suffered a stroke. Never drove it. Died 2 years later and in the meantime the car sat on the dealer's lot until all the assets were taken care of. My supervisor bid on the car and won. He drove it to work once. It is absolutely stunning. Guess what? 3 weeks ago he suffered a stroke and nearly died. He's currently in re-hab. We don't know if he'll ever return to work.

That car is cursed.  :scared: :scared: :scared:   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf