Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550116 times)

BILLPOD, factory, Vince and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12850 on: July 06, 2018, 06:26:57 pm »
That's just freaky. :scared: If it happens a third time, it's off to the crusher with that thing. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12851 on: July 06, 2018, 06:27:37 pm »
Just remember if you collect this stuff; when you inevitably drop dead someone is going to have to clear your house out ;)

BTW I actually prefer the Philips stuff to the Tek stuff. Rationale:

1. It's almost almost entirely made of bog standard bits.
2. You can still get all of those bits easily here in the EU.
3. The person who designed most of it, other than the plastic enclosures, doesn't hate the human race :)
4. Most of the service manuals are better than the Tek ones!

Talking of which, I was tempted to have a bash at this. Then I noticed it looks like someone dropped it on the CRT which has outgassed looking at the awful state of the phosphor. Idiots: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232834138143
Take a look at this one then, it looks very similar to me but it works https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-PM-3233-Oscilloscope-0-10MHz/263791426347
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12852 on: July 06, 2018, 06:28:50 pm »
That's just freaky. :scared: If it happens a third time, it's off to the crusher with that thing. :-DD
Given its history, would you risk it?  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12853 on: July 06, 2018, 06:31:41 pm »
Given its history, would you risk it?  :scared:

I would love to have that car. But no freakin way. The day he brought it into work I looked inside but didn't sit in it. I'm glad I didn't!  :phew: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12854 on: July 06, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »
I’d buy it in a flash.

Conversely a lot of my old test gear came from silent key sales and I’m not dead yet  :-DD

I’ve only seen one cursed car and that’s the driver’s fault. My mother. She actually wrote that car off in Asda (UK walmart) car park the other day  :palm: she needs to give up driving.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12855 on: July 06, 2018, 06:32:58 pm »
Just remember if you collect this stuff; when you inevitably drop dead someone is going to have to clear your house out ;)

3. The person who designed most of it, other than the plastic enclosures, doesn't hate the human race :)

Talking of which, I was tempted to have a bash at this. Then I noticed it looks like someone dropped it on the CRT which has outgassed looking at the awful state of the phosphor. Idiots: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232834138143
Take a look at this one then, it looks very similar to me but it works https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-PM-3233-Oscilloscope-0-10MHz/263791426347

Hahaha that’s just junk that one.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12856 on: July 06, 2018, 06:34:15 pm »

Hahaha that’s just junk that one.
True, some of the prices people are asking for utter rubbish is laughable.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12857 on: July 06, 2018, 06:46:43 pm »
The house I lived in before this, the previous occupant was murdered in. It’s why we got it cheap. Death keeps the price down.

Finally got something on the watch list :)

Now I will be outbid :(
I think I know what it is but I'm not saying or there might well be a stampede for it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12858 on: July 06, 2018, 06:53:40 pm »

Cue George Thorogood and the Destroyers: Bbbbbbbad to the bone.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12859 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:46 pm »
Ugh never saw one of them. I was using an Acorn A420 desktop then. Still the best machine I ever had.

Hmm ebay :D
Came across this photo of the old Toshiba Laptop with the red screen (orange really) it was the first IBM compatible laptop that Japan produced and the spec on it was so high for the time that it earned Toshiba the nickname of "King of the Laptops". The screen was shit really.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #12860 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:31 am »
Plasma screen.  Bet it ate the batteries pretty quickly!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12861 on: July 07, 2018, 12:56:42 am »
Plasma screen.  Bet it ate the batteries pretty quickly!

-Pat
I couldn't tell you, it belonged to a customer of mine.
Who let Murphy in?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12862 on: July 07, 2018, 04:31:26 am »

Ditto not rubbish, e.g. a 2465B for a mere £1219 ($1600)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2465B-400MHz-Oscilloscope/153076168039
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #12863 on: July 07, 2018, 05:17:01 am »

I'm gradually educating the sproglet.

Neatest trick so far is to get her to value a couple of small blue boxes: "a couple of quid each". Unfortunately I didn't have a camera on her eyebrows when I showed her:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382498722260?ViewItem=&item=382498722260

I got them for £30 each at Dunstable hamfest.

I'd have thrown down with you  :box: for a chance to get 'em at that price if I'd been there...  jammy git.  :-DD

The house I lived in before this, the previous occupant was murdered in. It’s why we got it cheap. Death keeps the price down.

Finally got something on the watch list :)

Now I will be outbid :(

Sometimes you gotta wonder about things. My Supervisor recently picked up a beautiful 2016 Yellow Z06 Corvette liked the one attached. The car was purchased 2 years ago by a middle age guy. The day he went to pick up the car the minute he sat in the car he suffered a stroke. Never drove it. Died 2 years later and in the meantime the car sat on the dealer's lot until all the assets were taken care of. My supervisor bid on the car and won. He drove it to work once. It is absolutely stunning. Guess what? 3 weeks ago he suffered a stroke and nearly died. He's currently in re-hab. We don't know if he'll ever return to work.

That car is cursed.  :scared: :scared: :scared:   

"Law of Irony" is a thing; it's a fact of probability that once something happens, it's likelier to happen again. Some people/things have a negative probability vortex that surrounds them. My grandmother had a pristine '66 Fleetwood when I was 14-ish that belonged to a preacher; supposedly he had a heart attack in the thing. But my grandmomma didn't drive it long; every time she went somewhere it never got her back home. Something different broke on it every flipping time to leave her stranded. Eventually grand father drove it to the classic car show down in Hershey and ran it through the auction. No idea if it got the new owner home or not.  :P

mnem
*Currently looking at 3DPrinter Spaghetti & trying to decide what to do with it*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12864 on: July 07, 2018, 05:31:23 am »

Neatest trick so far is to get her to value a couple of small blue boxes: "a couple of quid each". Unfortunately I didn't have a camera on her eyebrows when I showed her:

I'd have thrown down with you  :box: for a chance to get 'em at that price if I'd been there...  jammy git.  :-DD

I picked one up a couple of years ago, another last year, and would have picked up one this year but they had run out :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12865 on: July 07, 2018, 07:19:09 am »

Ditto not rubbish, e.g. a 2465B for a mere £1219 ($1600)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-2465B-400MHz-Oscilloscope/153076168039
Yes but that is Microlease all over, they charge silly prices for their items so that they can justify the high leasing costs. They couldn't even photograph the actual unit for sale, instead used a stock photo and a small at that. :--
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12866 on: July 07, 2018, 07:23:27 am »

I picked one up a couple of years ago, another last year, and would have picked up one this year but they had run out :)
Haha, as the current holder of the title I hereby do pass onto you the title of "Jammy Git:-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12867 on: July 07, 2018, 07:42:45 am »

Conversely a lot of my old test gear came from silent key sales and I’m not dead yet  :-DD

I have no issue with purchasing gear from a silent key. That equipment has a legacy and is meant to be used and enjoyed.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12868 on: July 07, 2018, 07:54:13 am »
This is tempting. Cortland Manor is in Westchester County just above NYC. About 1.5 hours away...give or take traffic which usually sucks down there.

But a close up of the photo shows the LCD for the DMM to be fubar and probably unobtanium. And why would a friend just "give it to you"? Sounds fishy like it's stolen or something shady. But it would be a nice piece and they are not very common.

Gonna pass.  :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12869 on: July 07, 2018, 08:03:26 am »
Gah I wouldn’t buy one of them. That lid arrangement looks like a dick.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12870 on: July 07, 2018, 08:04:28 am »
This is tempting. Cortland Manor is in Westchester County just above NYC. About 1.5 hours away...give or take traffic which usually sucks down there.

But a close up of the photo shows the LCD for the DMM to be fubar and probably unobtanium. And why would a friend just "give it to you"? Sounds fishy like it's stolen or something shady. But it would be a nice piece and they are not very common.

Comes with lots of probes............

You'd kick yourself if there were some current probes amongst them !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12871 on: July 07, 2018, 08:07:28 am »

Yep, looks like a clumsy arrangement. Not one of Tek's better ideas.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12872 on: July 07, 2018, 08:08:57 am »

Comes with lots of probes............

You'd kick yourself if there were some current probes amongst them !

Stop! I don't wanna know!  :-DD :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12873 on: July 07, 2018, 12:14:13 pm »

I don't know, ten sawbucks (about 4 cases of beer) is probably worth it just for the novelty value, you don't see many of those around.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12874 on: July 07, 2018, 12:46:07 pm »
Think I'd rather have the beer today :D

Playing with WSPR today. This is the lazy test gear obsessed side of ham radio. Two things are important: (1) doesn't require any human intervention due to beacon mode operation thus is lazy as hell and it's too hot to move today and (2) requires time nuttery as frequency accuracy and stability is important. The latter is starting to get pretty heavy for me. A proper, non hacked up OCXO frequency standard is now required.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf