Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14548613 times)

Ice-Tea, Harrow, Robert763 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12875 on: July 07, 2018, 03:37:23 pm »
I don't give up easy. Channel 1 now working. Twas a cold solder joint right at the input BNC. D'OH!!!  :palm: :palm:

The DM44 is working too. I had to disassemble that to remove the vertical board...or so I thought. In reality it can remain in place..

Channel 2 is still fubar. Don't have time to work on it further this afternoon. I'll start fresh in the AM. But I think I know what the problem might be. Stay tuned.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12876 on: July 07, 2018, 03:48:26 pm »
Nice one  :-+

Never give up!

Edit: talking of which I better get on with these d83’s :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:56:33 pm by bd139 »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12877 on: July 07, 2018, 04:01:49 pm »
Comes with lots of probes............

You'd kick yourself if there were some current probes amongst them !

Yep.

The probe pocket on top is literally bulging.
It could be filled with multiple probes or just a few big ones.
Either that or it’s just glad to see ya...

This is TEA - you know we’re all Jones’n to see what’s in there! >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12878 on: July 07, 2018, 04:06:32 pm »
My tek 465 came with lots of probes. As in at least 8. I got two good ones after spending three hours swapping bits of them until they (a) actually worked and (b) met their specification.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12879 on: July 07, 2018, 04:28:41 pm »
This is tempting. Cortland Manor is in Westchester County just above NYC. About 1.5 hours away...give or take traffic which usually sucks down there.

But a close up of the photo shows the LCD for the DMM to be fubar and probably unobtanium. And why would a friend just "give it to you"? Sounds fishy like it's stolen or something shady. But it would be a nice piece and they are not very common.

Gonna pass.  :--
Comes with lots of probes............

You'd kick yourself if there were some current probes amongst them !

Stop! I don't wanna know!  :-DD :-DD

OK, been thinking about this one all morning. I'm gonna play it like I did with the recent 2465 purchase. Let it sit for 2 weeks and see if he sells it. If he does, my loss. If he doesn't, toss a low ball bid. If he accepts then see if he'll meet me halfway distance.

I want to see what's in that probe bag too.  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12880 on: July 07, 2018, 04:37:39 pm »
Another probe bag story to put you off.  A few years back I was talking to someone at work who’s father had some electronic stuff to get rid of, to quote him. So I went over there one fine Saturday afternoon to a rotten house in Sandhurst and had a look.

There was a 465B sitting there looking in pristine condition. Seemed to have intact feet. So I asked about it and he said to take it and the rest of the stuff for £20 for some beer money.

So I go over to the 465B looking rather excited completely unaware I could only see one side of it. Turned
It round and the probe bag was black and green. It had been stored in the shed which had leaked on top of the probe bag and had run down the back. We opened the bag and it and it was full of mouse shit. There were once probes in there but they had combined with the instructions and turned into mush.

I left everything there. It was all wrecked. The shed roof had a leak in it which hadn’t been looked at for 20 years. Didn’t fancy carting back several kg of mouse shit and mould.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12881 on: July 07, 2018, 04:47:31 pm »
Crap bd139, you sure know how to ruin a TEA members day.. :'(

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12882 on: July 07, 2018, 07:11:22 pm »
Crap...

Quite the appropriate exclamation given the circumstances, I must say. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #12883 on: July 07, 2018, 07:16:43 pm »
Great job with the progress on that 465, med.

OK, so with all the recent Tek talk, for long term use and maintenance, which is the better option, a 465 or a 475 (or no difference in this series)? Of course, more bandwidth is nice with the 475, but at some point the number of unobtanium parts makes old scopes less desirable. I'm just not sure at what point that occurs with the good ol' Teks.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12884 on: July 07, 2018, 07:28:54 pm »

OK, so with all the recent Tek talk, for long term use and maintenance, which is the better option, a 465 or a 475 (or no difference in this series)? Of course, more bandwidth is nice with the 475, but at some point the number of unobtanium parts makes old scopes less desirable. I'm just not sure at what point that occurs with the good ol' Teks.
Maybe it's time to start looking at Philips then as they use more standard parts and thus should be able to be kept running correctly with ease?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12885 on: July 07, 2018, 07:35:29 pm »
"Mouseshit & Mould"

read it too quick and thought you were refering to a law firm I once dealt with in philadelphia.

free range primate

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #12886 on: July 07, 2018, 07:36:48 pm »
After partially convincing the wife that the extra 9 at the end of the string of 9's is important, and with a 15% ebay coupon I decided to buy it.       

I saw a couple of mentions of this coupon, but I guess it was a short-lived promo as I never saw it. Do update us on the outcome of your DMM score.

It wasn't an ebay seller scam after all.  I was pleasantly surprised this morning when an actual new-in-box, perfectly functioning, Siglent SDM3055 that I got at a discount plus with an eBay coupon arrived on my doorstep.  A rare win for me!  :-+

The problem now is that while I justified the purchase by saying I'd sell the other meter, the TEA in me believes I should keep it as well.  >:D

I think I have enough stuff on the bench now, that she won't know the actual equipment count anymore.  :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12887 on: July 07, 2018, 07:39:34 pm »

465B is the better scope in the series.

You’re already at the point of no return with 4xx scope parts. You need two scopes to keep one alive. Possibly even three.

I would agree with Philips if you want something old that works. PM3267 is a nice bit of kit. Unfortunately Europe is where you win with these.

Actually thinking about it, if you’re in the US, 465B is better. If you’re in Europe PM3267 is better.

Edit: tek 2235/2236 is better than both though if you can find one.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:41:44 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12888 on: July 07, 2018, 07:40:19 pm »
After partially convincing the wife that the extra 9 at the end of the string of 9's is important, and with a 15% ebay coupon I decided to buy it.       

I saw a couple of mentions of this coupon, but I guess it was a short-lived promo as I never saw it. Do update us on the outcome of your DMM score.

It wasn't an ebay seller scam after all.  I was pleasantly surprised this morning when an actual new-in-box, perfectly functioning, Siglent SDM3055 that I got at a discount plus with an eBay coupon arrived on my doorstep.  A rare win for me!  :-+

The problem now is that while I justified the purchase by saying I'd sell the other meter, the TEA in me believes I should keep it as well.  >:D

I think I have enough stuff on the bench now, that she won't know the actual equipment count anymore.  :)

Nice win  :-+

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12889 on: July 07, 2018, 07:45:26 pm »

Forget the TEA rabbit hole you're already in.....the volt nuttery rabbit hole awaits.........  :scared:
SDM3065X next ?

For a while I had all three models but took the plunge and got a 3065X with the 16ch logging card so I think I'm set for a bit.....unless they bring out a 7.5 digit one !  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12890 on: July 07, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »

Forget the TEA rabbit hole you're already in.....the volt nuttery rabbit hole awaits.........  :scared:
SDM3065X next ?

For a while I had all three models but took the plunge and got a 3065X with the 16ch logging card so I think I'm set for a bit.....unless they bring out a 7.5 digit one !  :rant:
I'd love a 6.5 digit, even though I have no need for one so I'll have to wait for a steal like my Fluke 8840A to come along I think. It's not voltnuttery, I love seeing digits, especially ones that glow [emoji48]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #12891 on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:27 pm »

Oh, have little ambition! You know you want at least 8 digits
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12892 on: July 07, 2018, 08:08:39 pm »
...even though I have no need for one...

Ahem. Consider the company you are in, and whether you might lose the respect of you peers.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12893 on: July 07, 2018, 08:11:30 pm »

Oh, have little ambition!
I have, a new SVA on the way.....and a couple of their new 8A PSU's as I have thoughts of joining the bd139 club of blowing shit up !  >:D

You know you want at least 8 digits
Not if the buggers won't keep still !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12894 on: July 07, 2018, 08:14:21 pm »
Edit: tek 2235/2236 is better than both though if you can find one.

Why is that ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12895 on: July 07, 2018, 08:24:12 pm »
Mainly less likely to be dicky and a whole generation of hardware design newer and a lot lighter. Annoyingly short of graticule illumination but that’s it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12896 on: July 07, 2018, 08:34:53 pm »
Mainly less likely to be dicky and a whole generation of hardware design newer and a lot lighter. Annoyingly short of graticule illumination but that’s it.

I have offers locally here and also a pristine working 485 that I keep ignoring for quite sometimes now ... both prices are reasonable.  :'(

Restraint ... restraint.  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12897 on: July 07, 2018, 08:40:31 pm »
I’d take a 485. That’s a special one.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12898 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:39 pm »

I have offers locally here and also a pristine working 485 that I keep ignoring for quite sometimes now ... both prices are reasonable.  :'(

Restraint ... restraint.  :palm:
Have you still got your 2465 ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12899 on: July 07, 2018, 08:46:32 pm »
...and also a pristine working 485 that I keep ignoring for quite sometimes now ...
Mistake. Just get it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf