Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551963 times)

TizianoHV, tautech, Vince, marcumr, ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #13200 on: July 14, 2018, 07:43:37 am »
I really should go to those [hamfests in the boondocks]. I struggle with the motivation to haul my arse to one though sometimes.

I filter them by a 1 hour travel time limit; that probably means I can go further than you :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13201 on: July 14, 2018, 07:51:17 am »
I’m ok as long as it’s not Kent or east anglia here :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13202 on: July 14, 2018, 08:27:07 am »
I think the Ebay scammer is back or another one, just spotted this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253751351951

bd139, did your script pick this one up??
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13203 on: July 14, 2018, 08:44:12 am »
Yeah it did. It’s not auto reporting yet as I’m still waiting to make sure it doesn’t do any false positives.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13204 on: July 14, 2018, 09:16:31 am »
I’m ok as long as it’s not Kent or east anglia here :)

Thus spake a Londoner!

I presume you are happy to go to, for example, Truro tomorrow, Doncaster next weekend, or Crianliarch/Wimbourne/Newton Abbot later on :)

I can assure you that you won't find anything interesting in the Kington Langley village hall ;}
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13205 on: July 14, 2018, 09:32:38 am »
To be honest it’d take less time to get to Wimbourne than Margate from here :)

I’m currently slaving at the school summer fete today so tomorrow I’m staying at home and being an unsociable bastard. By that time I will have had more than enough of the human race. It’s not the kids; they’re fine. It’s the parents :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13206 on: July 14, 2018, 09:36:19 am »

I’m currently slaving at the school summer fete today so tomorrow I’m staying at home and being an unsociable bastard. By that time I will have had more than enough of the human race. It’s not the kids; they’re fine. It’s the parents :)
Yeh, the parents can be real bastards at times.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13207 on: July 14, 2018, 09:52:57 am »
Yes they didn’t like my event suggestion which involved digging a hole and pushing the horrible ones into it.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13208 on: July 14, 2018, 09:55:54 am »

Well, according to google maps.... you're right. But that begs the question as to why anybody would want to go to Margate. I'll go to the Weston-super-Mad fest or to see Catalinas etc, but only because it is nearby.

The little people usually are fun, because everything is new and interesting to them. I can't remember the last time I came across an obnoxious little person.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13209 on: July 14, 2018, 10:20:17 am »

Hmm I meant to go to the Wimborne one but on the morning it was dismal and so I couldn't be arsed to go, wish I had now [emoji852]️
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13210 on: July 14, 2018, 10:44:59 am »

I’m currently slaving at the school summer fete today so tomorrow I’m staying at home and being an unsociable bastard. By that time I will have had more than enough of the human race.

I'm an unsociable bastard everyday and it is so refreshing.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13211 on: July 14, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
Yes so am I. Unfortunately my other half isn’t so sometimes I have to show up (apparently) even though I’d rather be at home. Personally I’d establish a colony on the moon. As long as Ocado, RS and eBay deliver.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13212 on: July 14, 2018, 11:23:03 am »
My other half is a cop. So the last thing she wants to deal with when she's off duty is people. I can hardly blame her. So when we get together on our weekends once or twice a month it is considered "downtime" for her. We'll do things together such as dinner, shopping, etc but most of the time she takes over my recliner chair and relaxes. And I don't mind at all.   

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #13213 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:39 am »
I know the feeling lads, I have two high functioning artistic children and the wife and our paediatrician both think I'm in the same category - as a result I quite enjoy the rare quiet quiet time you get as a parent. My wife is currently out with her girlfriend's and I'm at home watching a playboy documentary on prime and downing some Canadian club.  :-+ a perfect evening imo (although I do enjoy date night with my beautiful wife - no idea how I won her heart but I'm not complaining).

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13214 on: July 14, 2018, 11:58:03 am »
This past week I was off work due to a mandated furlough. It was wonderful. Not only did I get a lot done around the place but I didn't have to go out and deal with....people. Except yesterday. Grocery shopping and then some other errands. Do you know how many stupid people I had to deal with in that short of time?  :scared:

I've worked graveyard shift for the past 9 years and it's great. Up at night when the bimbos are sleeping vs I sleep during the day. And phone ringer off. And luckily our night crew at work is a great group and not one jerk in the bunch.   

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13215 on: July 14, 2018, 12:08:06 pm »
I can’t stand grocery shopping. Get it delivered now! It annoys me that no one reverses into the parking spaces which means it turns into a pinball machine full of blind idiots. I’m hoping this software venture pays off. I’m done then. Going to hide somewhere and develop a super villain lair with laser sharks and a helicopter landing pad (no helicopter - can’t afford one!)

On the subject of TEA I’m sure this is the sun but I’m staring at the cheap end Rigol SA’s with TG and thinking I can just pop it on the credit card and put getting a new car off for another year. I hate buying cars anyway. Hmm. I suspect that’s “murder money” from SWMBO.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13216 on: July 14, 2018, 12:31:25 pm »
I can’t stand grocery shopping. Get it delivered now! It annoys me that no one reverses into the parking spaces which means it turns into a pinball machine full of blind idiots. I’m hoping this software venture pays off. I’m done then. Going to hide somewhere and develop a super villain lair with laser sharks and a helicopter landing pad (no helicopter - can’t afford one!)

On the subject of TEA I’m sure this is the sun but I’m staring at the cheap end Rigol SA’s with TG and thinking I can just pop it on the credit card and put getting a new car off for another year. I hate buying cars anyway. Hmm. I suspect that’s “murder money” from SWMBO.

Unfortunately the grocery chain I shop at does not have home delivery. Not sure if they plan on implementing it but it is a trend among other chains. They used to be open 24/7 and I would do my shopping at 5 AM when the store was empty. But they stopped that and now open at 6 AM, after I'm already home from work.  :--

Parking lot idiocy? I have a simple solution to that. Park WAY out away from the crowd. Besides, the walk will do me good. Drives the other half nuts when she's with me but she also understands that my cars are my other women. One of the cars is 14 years old with NO door dings.

Good luck convincing the SWMBO of your idea.  :phew:   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 12:54:01 pm by med6753 »

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #13217 on: July 14, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »

Unfortunately the grocery chain I shop at does not have home delivery. Not sure if they plan on implementing it but it is a trend among other chains. They used to be open 24/7 and I would do my shopping at 5 AM when the store was empty. But they stopped that and now open at 6 AM, after I'm already home from work.  :--

Parking lot idiocy? I have a simple solution to that. Park WAY out away from the crowd. Besides, the walk with do me good. Drives the other half nuts when she's with me but she also understands that my cars are my other women. One of the cars is 14 years old with NO door dings.

Good luck convincing the SWMBO of your idea.  :phew:

Luckily despite being on the very edge of suburbia, we can do most of our grocery shopping online and have it delivered. Don't know how we'd manage otherwise!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13218 on: July 14, 2018, 12:54:12 pm »
We’ve got quite good deliveries here in the U.K. what with being a relatively small country. I rather like Ocado though. They are almost fully automated. The Tesla of shopping:

https://youtu.be/4DKrcpa8Z_E

SWMBO gave me the look so that’s not happening :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13219 on: July 14, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »
SWMBO gave me the look so that’s not happening :(

The look is always the killjoy.  ::)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13220 on: July 14, 2018, 01:55:25 pm »
On the subject of TEA I’m sure this is the sun but I’m staring at the cheap end Rigol SA’s with TG and thinking I can just pop it on the credit card and put getting a new car off for another year.
And the new SVA doesn't interest you ?  :-//
Same BW but it can do much more.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13221 on: July 14, 2018, 02:03:48 pm »
Neat but TG starts at 5Mhz which is too high and as always with Siglent, no UK reseller.

Moot now though anyway :(

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13222 on: July 14, 2018, 02:09:17 pm »
Neat but TG starts at 5Mhz which is too high and as always with Siglent, no UK reseller.

Moot now though anyway :(
Labtronix and PASS are the UK agents.
LF sweep can be managed with an AWG.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13223 on: July 14, 2018, 02:18:56 pm »
I won’t go near PASShole as I call them. Haven’t used Labtronix. Will take a look. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah I’m already doing that with the DG1022Z. I’ve got a return loss bridge and power sensor which I have been using with it as an antenna analyser for low HF. Does the job but I’ve got some VHF cavity filters to design. Would rather like something that will sweep VHF and low HF as it’s a pain in the ass using the AWG for sweeping crystal filters as well. Main problem is it’s difficult to calibrate out the fixture insertion loss. Much easier with an SA with TG.

SVA is interesting as it is a VNA too.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13224 on: July 14, 2018, 02:34:13 pm »
I won’t go near PASShole as I call them. Haven’t used Labtronix. Will take a look. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah I’m already doing that with the DG1022Z. I’ve got a return loss bridge and power sensor which I have been using with it as an antenna analyser for low HF. Does the job but I’ve got some VHF cavity filters to design. Would rather like something that will sweep VHF and low HF as it’s a pain in the ass using the AWG for sweeping crystal filters as well. Main problem is it’s difficult to calibrate out the fixture insertion loss. Much easier with an SA with TG.

SVA is interesting as it is a VNA too.
What frequency range/limits are you working with ?
The Bode plot function in the 4ch X-E's will work at least to the BW of the scope.....if you have a high enough frequency AWG. Oh and BTW a member cracked the coms protocol for Siglent AWG's and with the help of a bit of code uses a Rigol Feeltech AWG for the Bode plots sweeps......controlled by the X-E.  :scared:
Mentioned in the 4ch X-E thread a little while back.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1520452/#msg1520452

SVA......grrrrrr, mines held up at an airport in China......it's already missed 3 scheduled flights and the next one is Tuesday !  :rant:
Plus a stock shipment as well......would've been faster to send them by sea !
Yeah, real keen to get it and have a quick fiddle before I pass it onto member hendorog for a proper workout against Agilent and SH VNA's he has. Should be fun !
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 02:45:01 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf