Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15462966 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14200 on: August 06, 2018, 10:57:39 am »
EDIT: Maybe i should get a basement lab instead.

Highly recommended :)

Edit: but you will in many cases have to fight high humidity levels - especially in summer: :palm:
Very few house here in the UK have basements and I'm not aware of any new houses being built with basements, they seem to be the domain of many of the older very small houses in inner city areas.  (unless you know differently)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #14201 on: August 06, 2018, 11:17:14 am »
To you Brits and others in Europe suffering from the heat and the lack of residential A/C I present to you yesterday's conditions on this side of the pond.

None of the numbers your instruments shows is readable by continental Europeans.

This is what a proper instrument would show here:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:21:25 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14202 on: August 06, 2018, 11:39:35 am »
Why over complicate things, there are just 3 items that interest us and they are the important ones, 1) Time, 2) Inside temp, and 3) Outside temp a quick glance at the device tells us all we need to know so that we can back on with the real task of all things TEA related and wasting valuable time studying that mass of useless information to filter out what we need from it.  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14203 on: August 06, 2018, 11:47:02 am »
Actually the thing that interests me is when it's next going to be below "horrible".

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14204 on: August 06, 2018, 11:51:14 am »

Oh look, the Lady Heather for weather stations  :-+
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #14205 on: August 06, 2018, 12:16:53 pm »

Looks so F great! More info please... What is that?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #14206 on: August 06, 2018, 12:30:35 pm »
It's not up to date anymore, but for some basic info:
http://wunderkis.de/datenkrake/

The "screen" is a Friendy ARM module (I think, one cannot buy it anymore), running some homebrew software doing all that stuff. The screen has ethernet connection only, so all the data collection is done by some other stuff, basically an instrument for measuring electric power and related stuff that I've developed some 15 years ago, acting as a gateway from Modbus based data loggers to Ethernet. I'm still modifying and expanding this whole installation.
The internal (non-Ethernet) data communication switches slowly from Modbus to CAN, running on STM32 based HW:
http://wunderkis.de/homebus/index.html

And some public live data:
http://wc.wunderkis.de/webcam1.php
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14207 on: August 06, 2018, 12:34:33 pm »
Well since we're talking ac ... I just had a new Lennox two stage system installed to remove my old crappy Frankenstein lashup that was sucking big time. I'm really blown away with it's performance. I wasn't able to get my house to 82 deg even running the old system 24/7 on very hot days (95 - 100deg F). This one doesn't even blink and I could freeze myself out if I wanted to.  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14208 on: August 06, 2018, 12:58:29 pm »
Hahaha only a few by accident :)

I had 8000.  Sold 4000. Used 500. Got 3500 left. Should be good ‘til I’m dead.

Most of the used ones ended up being convenient leg donors for other things.

Ah yes i always keep snipped off resistor pins around.

Someone should find where one can buy a whole spool of the wire that they make them out of because they are perfect for making short sturdy connections.

That's easy enough to do, reels of tinned solid copper wire are widely available. However, even though I've got reeled tinned copper wire that's the equivalent I find that I'll use resistor tails more often than I'll use the reeled wire. Why? It's properly straight rather than having the residual curve that reeled wire has, even after you've straightened it, and it's a little stiffer, probably from a little work hardening as the resistors are processed.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #14209 on: August 06, 2018, 01:05:17 pm »
The internal (non-Ethernet) data communication switches slowly from Modbus to CAN, running on STM32 based HW:

Thanks Bullshot. I had in my mind some CAN bus for my home, but I think I will go on the Ethernet and raspi everywhere...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14210 on: August 06, 2018, 01:17:50 pm »
Very few house here in the UK have basements and I'm not aware of any new houses being built with basements, they seem to be the domain of many of the older very small houses in inner city areas.  (unless you know differently)

In Brighton and Hove (where I lived for much of my childhood) almost all the pre-WWII housing stock has basements (or basement flats/rooms), which tend to be very damp as the water from the chalk Downs percolates down to the shoreline through everything. Conversely, almost nothing built there after the war has a basement unless it was a re-build over an existing site that was already excavated for it (when presumably it would have been more expensive to fill the hole than slap in a basement).

I suspect that pre-war/post-war dividing line is true for a lot of urban Britain as it coincides with the widespread adoption of domestic refrigeration (somewhere cool for food storage) and the decline in use of coal for domestic heating (coal cellar, obviously). However, that's probably only true for what, for want of a better phrase, I'm going to call non-working class homes. Tenements and terrace housing, of whatever age, typically don't have cellars in most towns. However, as I've implied, that's not true for Brighton where much of the terraced housing stock does seem to have a basement/sub-street level, but it's usually originally divided up as typical living quarters not storage.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14211 on: August 06, 2018, 01:52:19 pm »
Everything on the South Coast is rusty, damp and/or dying, including the local population :)

Don't get them here now much because of three considerations: cost, flooding, requires way more difficult planning permission hurdles. Plus it's much easier to dig a light foundation out and pour concrete in it than excavation.

My house is early 1960s build I think (ex local authority). It's basically concrete foudnation with prefab poured concrete walls with bricks around it and a roof lowered on top. Doesn't get terribly hot compared to some places. Always 5-8 degrees lower than outside. 25 inside 31 outside at moment. Nice big rooms. One of the joys is that there is literally no problem with damp, structure or roofing on these types of houses. They are rock solid!

Also nice solid floors for stacking TEA acquisitions and floor standing racks on :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 01:54:41 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14212 on: August 06, 2018, 02:07:35 pm »
Yep, that one advantage of having an ex local authority property, there are generally better built because they will still be liable for the repairs as long as it remains in their hands so they tend to be better designed and they employ a clerk of the works to oversee the build to ensure that as few corners are cut by the builders which would cause the authority issues further down the line.

In my lab it is currently a sweltering 30.4C with the fan on strewth I ought to be as skinny as a bleeding rake with that kind of heat.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14213 on: August 06, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »
Yes indeed. Also mine was built just before the influx of cheap prefab materials.

I lived in one 1990s build which was nasty. I assume you are a victim of good insulation too :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14214 on: August 06, 2018, 02:57:29 pm »
Yep, this is one from around the 1990's as well, built with traditional materials, proper bricks, no concrete apart from the ground floor which has concrete beams and the lab temp is 31C right now and all I have one is computer tower and LCD monitor with a 11" box fan flowing warm over me, phew.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14215 on: August 06, 2018, 03:13:13 pm »
Just looked at weather. We're saved in a couple of days. Down to 22  :-+

Hoping it's going to not piss it down on Sat/Sun though as I am going on a jaunt to a radio rally to see if I can collect more TEA goodies.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14216 on: August 06, 2018, 03:18:54 pm »
I love driving in the rain and beside it'll take the temp right down. That's assuming I have a car then, mine is going in tomorrow to have the cambelt changed which on mine is a big job and they also have to fit a new water pump at the same time, so I'll a quite a few pounds lighter in the old wallet pocket after that. Then another couple of months, it's MOT time, Tax and insurance dipping into my pocket again so not much TEA activity for a while then  :--
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14217 on: August 06, 2018, 03:20:33 pm »

None of the numbers your instruments shows is readable by continental Europeans.

Now that is a sweet looking data collection system. Engineers love data after all.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14218 on: August 06, 2018, 03:26:02 pm »
I love driving in the rain and beside it'll take the temp right down. That's assuming I have a car then, mine is going in tomorrow to have the cambelt changed which on mine is a big job and they also have to fit a new water pump at the same time, so I'll a quite a few pounds lighter in the old wallet pocket after that. Then another couple of months, it's MOT time, Tax and insurance dipping into my pocket again so not much TEA activity for a while then  :--

Good luck with that. Mine needs a new DPF so I'm with you on the TEA budget issues. Also why I have listed a load of shit today due to £3 max fee listings (need to pay for that FT-818 too!)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14219 on: August 06, 2018, 03:28:29 pm »

Good luck with that. Mine needs a new DPF so I'm with you on the TEA budget issues. Also why I have listed a load of shit today due to £3 max fee listings (need to pay for that FT-818 too!)

Yeah, I have a list of stuff to pop on, may do it later if I can be bothered in this heat or wait till another offer comes from the Bay, they do come pretty often.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14220 on: August 06, 2018, 03:37:54 pm »
Yeah I only list what I can be bothered to take to the post office at any point  :-DD

Sold the HP 6237B this morning. Keeping the Thurlby PL's - they also make a neat shelf for the TDS210 :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14221 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »
Oh, I thought you liked the 6237B better than the PL's because it was a tracking unit?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14222 on: August 06, 2018, 03:47:09 pm »
Yeah that was until I smoked £12 of AD9834 DDS IC with it.

TBH it's a really nice power supply and I mean really nice but I'm mainly using single rail low current stuff at the moment which is the domain of the PL310 with current limit instead of "insta-smoke" hard 1A limit. The PL154 also happens to be a rather nice power supply to charge and operate the FT-818ND. And you can turn them on and off independently unlike the triple rail output of the 6237B.

Edit to note the futility of build vs buy vs productising an idea, I've spent nearly £400 so far on developing a low cost low power pocket SNA for amateur radio use.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 03:49:45 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14223 on: August 06, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »
Is the FT-818ND working then? I sort had the impression that it was a lame one.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14224 on: August 06, 2018, 03:50:31 pm »
No working fine. Absolutely amazing bit of kit. Really is a wonderful little radio. Got me a QSO with Radio Caroline on a bit of wire around the living room the other day!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf