Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407303 times)

Robert763, salvagedcircuitry, Vince and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14300 on: August 07, 2018, 08:43:13 pm »
Unless you had a heavy night before  :-DD
Speaking of which, how did you come to bust your ankle then, dropped a rad on it did you? Are you in hospital or just visited A&E?

Lego. Don’t ask :)

Waiting in A&E now. Joy.
Day out in Legoland eh? Well in this heat, I don't suppose sitting in A&E is too bad, at least you get massive benefit from their AC as long as the pain is under control while you wait.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14301 on: August 07, 2018, 08:44:46 pm »
Not even that exciting. Stood on some.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14302 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:15 pm »
Not even that exciting. Stood on some.
Oh well, it does show just how tough those little bits of plastic are. Man v Lego, Lego wins. [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #14303 on: August 07, 2018, 08:56:05 pm »

mnem
"The road to Hell is paved with Legos."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14304 on: August 07, 2018, 09:05:59 pm »
Do Danish fakirs exhibit their asceticism by walking barefoot on a bed of Lego bricks?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14305 on: August 07, 2018, 09:24:23 pm »
Geez.....I go to sleep just for a few hours and bd139 breaks his ankle dancing around legos and mnem raids the frig and eats all the bacon. I'm gonna have to hire a nanny to keep an eye on you guys. I'm calling Mrs. Doubtfire right now.  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14307 on: August 07, 2018, 09:46:49 pm »

mnem

So much truth :)

Fortunately ot sprained it. Well there goes my exercise regime for 4-6 weeks :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14309 on: August 07, 2018, 09:52:45 pm »

mnem

So much truth :)

Fortunately ot sprained it. Well there goes my exercise regime for 4-6 weeks :-DD
I'll join the club, while helping my son move, he was on a pair of wobbly step ladders in his garage unloading the rafters when they collapsed right onto my foot and he weighs 20plus stones. I've been in agony with that foot since, good news is its slowly effing slowly getting better. So I can't walk far or stand for long so exercise is not an option. [emoji41]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14310 on: August 07, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »
Got this little guy today - little two channel temp meter, only $17. It's cheap but it's OK for my needs.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14311 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:36 pm »
Oh that’s neat. You can do differential measurements too.  :-+
I’ll join the club, while helping my son move, he was on a pair of wobbly step ladders in his garage unloading the rafters when they collapsed right onto my foot and he weighs 20plus stones. I've been in agony with that foot since, good news is its slowly effing slowly getting better. So I can't walk far or stand for long so exercise is not an option. [emoji41]

It’s children that do it. Came back home and my living room looks like we’ve been burgled so it hasn’t got any less dangerous. Feet and teeth are the worst things to hurt.

On a positive note if we’re both injured lots of time to play with toys :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 11:31:16 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14312 on: August 07, 2018, 11:42:34 pm »
I’ll join the club, while helping my son move, he was on a pair of wobbly step ladders in his garage unloading the rafters when they collapsed right onto my foot and he weighs 20plus stones. I've been in agony with that foot since, good news is its slowly effing slowly getting better. So I can't walk far or stand for long so exercise is not an option. [emoji41]

It’s children that do it. Came back home and my living room looks like we’ve been burgled so it hasn’t got any less dangerous. Feet and teeth are the worst things to hurt.

On a positive note if we’re both injured lots of time to play with toys :)
Yeah, I'm hoping that my 210 arrives tomorrow but something tells me it won't get here till Thursday. If I sell things I try to post them same day or next day, they had 3 days last week they could have sent it, why leave it till Monday? [emoji83] So if it does get here tomorrow I'll be playing around and getting that Tek experience at last [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14313 on: August 08, 2018, 12:14:30 am »

Those are surprisingly common for the highly prosaic reason that you need one to set up the radiators in a central heating system properly by measuring the temperature drop between feed and outlet water to/from the radiator. You tweak the 2nd shield valve to get the radiator to its proper operating point and balance all the radiators on a given pipe loop. However, you and I will never have seen one used to do that because we'll only ever have seen a British plumber in action.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14314 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:13 am »
I just improved my Hitachi scope frequency counter accuracy and I think I just defined a new disorder in the process, a new meaning for OCD... Oscilloscope Compulsive Disorder.  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-hitachi-v1065/50/
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Miti

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14315 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:43 am »
Got this little guy today - little two channel temp meter, only $17. It's cheap but it's OK for my needs.  :)

Thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about my Fluke 52-II. I have to sell that one, I really have no use for it. But I'm afraid of withdrawal...
Fear does not stop death, it stops life.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14316 on: August 08, 2018, 01:25:39 am »
Those are surprisingly common for the highly prosaic reason that you need one to set up the radiators in a central heating system properly by measuring the temperature drop between feed and outlet water to/from the radiator.

Ya I'm looking at temp drop of my new AC system from supply to return, just for kicks. Looks really good though.

I just improved my Hitachi scope frequency counter accuracy and I think I just defined a new disorder in the process, a new meaning for OCD... Oscilloscope Compulsive Disorder.  :-

Might be added to the master list on page one - check with bitseeker.   :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14317 on: August 08, 2018, 01:51:35 am »
I just improved my Hitachi scope frequency counter accuracy and I think I just defined a new disorder in the process, a new meaning for OCD... Oscilloscope Compulsive Disorder.  :-DD

Good job!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Miti

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14318 on: August 08, 2018, 03:47:14 am »

Cool. I have one of those, too. Its Flukeness is quite amusing. It'd be even nicer if it had USB for logging.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14319 on: August 08, 2018, 03:49:08 am »
I just improved my Hitachi scope frequency counter accuracy and I think I just defined a new disorder in the process, a new meaning for OCD... Oscilloscope Compulsive Disorder.  :-

Might be added to the master list on page one - check with bitseeker.   :popcorn:

Duly added to the glossary. Let me know of any changes you'd like to the definition. I tried to keep it broad and inclusive (how PC is that?).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14320 on: August 08, 2018, 05:16:26 am »

Well-sleuthed, and good on yer for undoing the damage wrought by bean-counters in their never-ending quest for the lowest common BOM-inator.  :-DD

Do Danish fakirs exhibit their asceticism by walking barefoot on a bed of Lego bricks?

Well, there's something I never thought I'd hear... "Danish" and "fakir" in the same sentence.  :o

mnem
"In the middle of his ascetic journey, the fakir paused to warm his coffee and Danish over the heat of the coals from a million and one smouldering Legos."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14321 on: August 08, 2018, 06:16:13 am »
    (SNIP)  Keyboard ordered, received, tested and returned defective, and new keyboard ordered BEFORE THE CHARGE EVEN CLEARED MY ACCOUNT.  :palm:

mnem
"Electrolytic caps are the devils's footsoldiers!" ~ me
I wanted a KBD backlit with plain white and never could find one.  :(

In other news...

My new keyboard arrived, and it's effing awesome. The complete opposite of the last one; maybe even the inverse function of it. In short, it appears to be pretty much made of "WIN!", especially for US$27 shipped.

The top deck is made of 1.5mm thick epoxy or powder-coated steel, so the feel is VERY solid with no flex whatsoever. While the bottom is the usual molded plastic with plastic flip-up feet, they're pretty stout with thick rubber pads opposite large grippy pads on the main body. It weighs approx 1.1kg, so it stays put. It has 3 rows of black-chrome plated Philips screws visible spaced approx 100mm apart, which complements the overall moderately industrial look of the keyboard. Those of you with a modding fetish could certainly replace them with hex socket flat or button head screws in whatever color you like.

It has what might be the best membrane key board I've ever owned; firm, yet positive detent action and while it does have a distinct tap if you are typing quickly, it is nearly silent compared to my old IBM/Lexmark keyboard.

The backlighting isn't perfect, but it's very good considering the LEDs appear to be spaced approx 30mm apart and light-piped, instead of one under every key. I guess they had to bring the price down somehow.  :o

It does the rainbow effect I showed you before, plus solid colors in 9 brightness levels in Red, Purple, Yellow, Cyan, White, Blue and a rich Emerald Green the pictures above just don't do justice to; it's my current fave and the mouse can be set to match everything EXCEPT White.  :o The brightness is plenty for typing in a home setting; however it may not be bright enough for a well-lit office or direct sunlight, even on the highest setting. It has various blinking and color-cycling lighting effects, including "breathing" and rainbow shift all with variable speed.

I find myself wanting it to do the "breathing" effect whenever the computer is in "Sleep" mode; I haven't found a setting for it, but I gotta imagine there's SOME way...

mnem
I love the smell of angry pixies in the morning! ~ me
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:26:06 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14322 on: August 08, 2018, 06:40:12 am »

Thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about my Fluke 52-II. I have to sell that one, I really have no use for it. But I'm afraid of withdrawal...
Use the revenue gained the sale to help fund something else that want /desire /need then your withdrawal symptoms will go away.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14323 on: August 08, 2018, 06:53:00 am »
Surely the purpose of a lighted keyboard is to assist game players in locating keys in the dark or semi dark at night and typists like me who still haven't mastered touch typing. In a well lit room that's not a problem as key and legend are clearly visible?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14324 on: August 08, 2018, 07:42:13 am »
Yeah, I'm hoping that my 210 arrives tomorrow but something tells me it won't get here till Thursday. If I sell things I try to post them same day or next day, they had 3 days last week they could have sent it, why leave it till Monday? [emoji83] So if it does get here tomorrow I'll be playing around and getting that Tek experience at last [emoji6]

Good luck. Hope it hasn’t been “Hermes’ed”.

Surely the purpose of a lighted keyboard is to assist game players in locating keys in the dark or semi dark at night and typists like me who still haven't mastered touch typing. In a well lit room that's not a problem as key and legend are clearly visible?

As a former somewhat heavy gamer, albeit nearly 20 years ago now, back before I got married and had kids, it’s mostly about the cool factor. And there’s nothing wrong with that  :-+

My current “actually doing stuff” keyboard is a Cherry G83 business line unit in boring “white with crud” scheme.

Use the revenue gained the sale to help fund something else that want /desire /need then your withdrawal symptoms will go away.

I have solved this. What I do is buy something cool on the credit card (zero interest of course) and then get rid of things to reduce the balance. Have got rid of that HP 54645D and Hp 6237B this week so far and a couple of books. That has made a significant dent in the FT-818 cost :)

Good job!  :-+

Yes excellent work there. Quite surprised they used a resonator though. Terrible things. I use them as a VXO as you can drag them quite far away from the marked frequency.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf