Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552515 times)

TizianoHV, Vince and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
OT: Of Aardvarks and Prime Ministers, Part 3: The Walrus and Carpenter Gambit
« Reply #15775 on: September 02, 2018, 06:24:29 pm »
Part 3: The Walrus and Carpenter Gambit

"It seems a shame," the Walrus said "To play them such a trick;
After we've brought them out so far, and made them trot so quick!"
The Carpenter said nothing but "The butter's spread too thick."

The second Magician card just lie there on the table; its penciled eyes glared accusingly at the four, demanding to know what blasphemer had put it in play.
The four stared back uncomprehendingly at first; this sight was not meant to be, for there could only be one Mage in any Diamondback deck.

"Don't look at me!" the Scarran cried out; "You just dealt that card to me. You all saw me flip it over right where you placed it." All eyes fell on the Serrean dealer, whose hand already had a Magician face-up.

"I just dealt the cards; you shuffled! And YOU cut the deck!" the dealer retorted, eyeing the other players as he spoke.

"Yeah, so why'd ya hide that one up your sleeve?" the third player, a stout dwarf of indeterminate clan interjected.

"I couldn't have... I don't have any sleeves!" Which was plain to see, as practicing Serreans were prohibited from clothing any part of their upper bodies anywhere but in the confines of their own homes.

"Well, I don't even have HANDS!" the serpentine Scarran answered; poking the offending card with the tip of his tail. "How would I hide it?"

"It is clear..." said the fourth player, a certain furry warlord wearing a Scarran-hide vest "...that you've been working together. Cerebus doesn't know for how long, but it looks like one of you just fouled up."

"Don't think I didn't notice what you're wearing..." hissed the Scarran, his eyes now thin slits as his tail wrapped around a heavy metal vessel from the table.

"Tarim, save us all from the slithery hordes..." the warlord snorted his derision, dodging the thrown goblet as it bounced off the Serrean's shaved head. "...was this your cousin?"

Even as he deftly avoids the attack, Cerebus calmly calculates just how much more he'll have to antagonize the others before an all-out brawl ensues. He gauges that the clash of swords and armor from the mercenary attack his personal guard are fending off outside will soon be loud enough inside the hall that even those without his acute sense of hearing will notice. It is time. Unseen, his tail darts out, crashing a chair into the dwarf.

Critical mass has been achieved, and chaos ensues.

"I shall break thee in half!!!" the short, thick warrior shouts, lowering his helmed head and charging like a battering ram at the Serrean. The table flies in his wake, showering them all with spirits and playing chips as he does. The Scarran hisses; feeling around on the floor, he finds a chairleg to use as a club.

"I don't know what game you're playing... but I'll see you all hanged!" the bald courtisan screeches, waving frenetically to his countryman playing a couple tables over. Soon the fight is joined; just as the Scarran swings.

Cerebus slips away to speak with the Seargeant-at-Arms by the doorway, giving explicit instructions that he and his men should observe carefully but allow the brawl to continue, only interrupting where serious injury is imminent. He nods to the manager of the dining hall to engage full damage control mode before bolting down the hallway and outside to join the fray; he really needed to wrap it up before everyone in the dining hall notices...

mnem
Yeah, yeah... I know.  :palm:

End Part 3; Concluded Tomorrow with Part 3.1: You Don't Bring Me Flowers
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:43:32 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #15776 on: September 02, 2018, 06:27:35 pm »
Oh that.

That’s slowly going along. I am having motivational and time difficulties. Motivation because theres no envelope of cash dangling at the end and time because I keep buying broken test gear  :-DD

Once I’ve shifted this lot of gear I going on a TEA holiday for a bit to get somewhere. I did think about using Kickstarter but that’s too much responsibility :)
I'll believe it when I see it, you know that you cannot stop TEA because our meetings aren't in the pub[emoji6]

Edit What you need is a red head around to kick your butt and keep you motivated  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:18:36 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15777 on: September 02, 2018, 11:40:11 pm »
Specmaster wrote: "...you cannot stop TEA because our meetings aren't in the pub..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently so.

Yes, brothers and sisters.  I confess.  I have sinned.  Again.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15778 on: September 03, 2018, 01:03:13 am »
Specmaster wrote: "...you cannot stop TEA because our meetings aren't in the pub..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently so.

A confession without proof cannot be accepted. So for your penance you must post pictures.....preferably internal pron....before we can pass judgement on your transgressions.

We are waiting.  :popcorn:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #15779 on: September 03, 2018, 01:21:32 am »

I think we need a confessional booth such as they had in THX1138 - or perhaps we are serving that function LOL.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #15780 on: September 03, 2018, 03:54:07 am »
Damn you...

That video rolled over to an episode of Jay Leno's Garage... and now I've spent over 4 hours listening to him yammer with folks about weird cars.   :palm:

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #15781 on: September 03, 2018, 03:58:07 am »
Jay's garage is like TEA++ for cars.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15782 on: September 03, 2018, 04:00:40 am »
Damn you...

I wanted to buy another frequency counter today. I don't understand why - I feel like I need more sedatives.

"Yes, excellent"

I don't know, it just seems like I want more and more for no reason. My mate doesn't understand. She is acting very strange.

"Yes, proceed ..."

I feel I am being selfish wanting so many oscilloscopes. But these forum members keep egging me on.

"Can you be more ... specific?"

It's members like Cubdriver and bitseeker - they never tell me to hold back.

"Yes, fine."

Please forgive me.

"You are a True Believer - Blessings of the Forum, Blessings of Ebay"
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15783 on: September 03, 2018, 04:53:21 am »
msd6753 wrote: ..."A confession without proof cannot be accepted. So for your penance you must post pictures.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK.  Here is an assemblage of ...um... multiple transgressions.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #15784 on: September 03, 2018, 04:53:38 am »
Damn you...

I wanted to buy another frequency counter today. I don't understand why - I feel like I need more sedatives.

"Yes, excellent"

I don't know, it just seems like I want more and more for no reason. My mate doesn't understand. She is acting very strange.

"Yes, proceed ..."

I feel I am being selfish wanting so many oscilloscopes. But these forum members keep egging me on.

"Can you be more ... specific?"

"Yes, fine."

Please forgive me.

You're welcome.   ;D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #15785 on: September 03, 2018, 05:15:02 am »
msd6753 wrote: ..."A confession without proof cannot be accepted. So for your penance you must post pictures.."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a kitchen, but you've got strange food processors there?
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15786 on: September 03, 2018, 05:17:08 am »

Oooh, that's a whole lotta sofisticated RF TE.   :-+
Ok, I vote for "confession accepted".

But where's the more basic stuff?
Voltmeters, multimeters, counters, generators, oscilloscopes, power supplies, ... ?    >:D
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15787 on: September 03, 2018, 05:25:36 am »

Now THAT is a RF bench alright. Why settle for a network analyzer when you can have three network analyzers.

And with all that gear i bet there is also a more generic workbench close by with the non RF stuff.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15788 on: September 03, 2018, 05:28:19 am »

"Yes, fine."

Please forgive me.

You're welcome.   ;D

-Pat

I second that commotion. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15789 on: September 03, 2018, 05:29:39 am »

Very nice, indeed! Played a lot of Tetris, did you? Hehe.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15790 on: September 03, 2018, 05:47:12 am »

Oooh, that's a whole lotta sofisticated RF TE.   :-+
Ok, I vote for "confession accepted".

But where's the more basic stuff?
Voltmeters, multimeters, counters, generators, oscilloscopes, power supplies, ... ?    >:D

Holy shitballs!  :-DD I agree, confession accepted.  :-+ Carry on!  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #15791 on: September 03, 2018, 05:49:02 am »
Damn you...

That video rolled over to an episode of Jay Leno's Garage... and now I've spent over 4 hours listening to him yammer with folks about weird cars.   :palm:

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...

I have fallen into Jay Leno's trap too on numerous occasions.   :o

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15792 on: September 03, 2018, 07:40:08 am »
I have fallen into Jay Leno's trap too on numerous occasions.   :o

I'm saying nothing.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #15793 on: September 03, 2018, 08:04:32 am »

Very nice, indeed! Played a lot of Tetris, did you? Hehe.

Mmmmmmmmm, quality and quantity TEA, We are in the presence of a TEA Jedi,
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15794 on: September 03, 2018, 08:08:30 am »
Well damn that's an RF bench and a half. I'd kill for just the CMU200 :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15795 on: September 03, 2018, 11:16:45 am »
Hmm, that may explain why some of us are having difficulty finding a VNA when someone else is snapping up more than their fair share.

It comes to something when an unreconstructed TEA addict feels it's necessary to say: "Son — you've got a problem..."
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15796 on: September 03, 2018, 12:23:59 pm »

Ugh! That kicked me off my chair! Looks like the equivalent of several luxury cars.

I'm green with envy.  ;) [Is there an appropriate emoji?]

Lucky me, I'm not into RF.  :phew:

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #15797 on: September 03, 2018, 01:18:13 pm »

Boom, that telephone on the left looks like a primitive stone age device.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:21:56 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15798 on: September 03, 2018, 01:57:46 pm »
URI wrote: "...But where's the more basic stuff? Voltmeters, multimeters, counters, generators, oscilloscopes, power supplies, ... ? "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the bench pictured above is for RF.  I do have a general purpose bench as well.  I also have a new "flex" bench which I can reconfigure as needed - currently it is set up for audio work.    I will post pictures of these to illustrate the depth of my affliction....

Obviously, I have been at this for some time.  I also do some woodworking.  Through the years I have read many books and articles on setting up workshops.  Most of these are focused on woodworking shops but there is no reason why the principles can't be applied to electronics work areas.  Going beyond selection of equipment and tools to layout, ergonomics, workflow, storage of parts & equipment, etc.

So that's what I have tried to do - create a workshop / lab where I can comfortably and efficiently do any of the things that interest me.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15799 on: September 03, 2018, 01:59:53 pm »
Those are the cleanest neatest benches I've ever seen.

Ever.

Anywhere.

:o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf