Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549702 times)

magicmastja, ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16500 on: September 18, 2018, 02:18:59 pm »
And when it does, the skeevoids reach in through the doggie door and steal your Christmas cards full of money. And the packages off your porch.  :-DD

mnem
There's always another way to skin a rat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:30:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16501 on: September 18, 2018, 02:29:21 pm »
And when it does, the skeevoids reach in through the doggie door and steal your Christmas cards full of money. And the packages off your porch.  :-DD

mnem
Don't have a doggie door, we have cat flaps though but not usually in the front door where the mail goes but in the back door where the cats can go and play safely, we put our brains to good use over here, doggie door is like putting sing up saying, "Here please help yourself".

I take it with that outpouring then that your DE-5000 still has not materialised? Go and plonk yourself in front of the customer support person and have a ding dong about it, I'm waiting to find out what your findings and thoughts are about the meter  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16502 on: September 18, 2018, 02:30:34 pm »
There was a story a few years ago about a pikey who got stuck in a doggie door. They are effective scum traps :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16503 on: September 18, 2018, 02:33:20 pm »

mnem
Don't have a doggie door, we have cat flaps though but not usually in the front door where the mail goes but in the back door where the cats can go and play safely, we put our brains to good use over here, doggie door is like putting sing up saying, "Here please help yourself".

I take it with that outpouring then that your DE-5000 still has not materialised? Go and plonk yourself in front of the customer support person and have a ding dong about it, I'm waiting to find out what your findings and thoughts are about the meter  :palm:
Oh, even if I'm lucky and it hasn't been mis-delivered, it won't actually be delivered til evening.  ::)

Do you guys still get morning and evening  mail deliveries over there? Anywhere?

mnem
*Listening to stupid elevator music for the next 46-66 minutes*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16504 on: September 18, 2018, 02:36:55 pm »
What's with the christmas cards full of cash being stolen, nah, cash tends to get sent via PayPal, sounds like Texas is still living in the past, unsecure outside mailboxes, popping cash into cards, doggie doors in their front doors, whatever next, outside dunnies? :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16505 on: September 18, 2018, 02:39:57 pm »
Oh, even if I'm lucky and it hasn't been mis-delivered, it won't actually be delivered til evening.  ::)

Do you guys still get morning and evening  mail deliveries over there? Anywhere?

mnem
No, sadly we don't my post can literally turn up anytime from about 9am till about 5pm, depending on how many posties are on holiday / off sick or whatever.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:08:57 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #16506 on: September 18, 2018, 05:05:52 pm »
My mail usually arrives later in the day and sometimes after dark. Like mnem said, our postal carriers have to work late now. Lots of mixed up and late-arriving mail in my neighborhood, too. But, at least the mail comes to the door — no need to go out in the cold, rain, etc. to fetch it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16507 on: September 18, 2018, 05:14:30 pm »
What's with the christmas cards full of cash being stolen, nah, cash tends to get sent via PayPal, sounds like Texas is still living in the past, unsecure outside mailboxes, popping cash into cards, doggie doors in their front doors, whatever next, outside dunnies? :-//
Dude... someday, we will have the Jetsons' flying car, a capitol on the moon and colonies on Mars, but I promise you... there will STILL be outhouses in Texas.  :-DD

mnem
No, sadly we don't my post can literally turn up anytime from about 9am till about 5pm, depending on how many posties are on holiday / off sick or whatever.

I stopped at the PO on my way home from giving bro-in-law a ride... (yes, I was STILL on hold) There was a new, young lady postal clerk there, who was actually cheerful and helpful. (cue Twilight Zone music) She went right back and checked my address; when she came back she said my address was one whose mail "had come back". She said the package was in her truck and out for delivery today, and that they should be making an early run on our street.

*Goes out and checks again*

I caught the alternate carrier delivering the other side of the street just now; she was kind enough to serve me out of turn. I have it in my sweaty little hands even as I write this.

I'll be back in a few. (Still hearing that doot-dee-doot-dooo-doot-dee-doot-dooo-doot-dee-doot-dooo music though)

mnem
SQWEEEEEEE!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:33:15 pm by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16508 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:04 pm »
*Goes out and checks again*

I caught the alternate carrier delivering the other side of the street just now; she was kind enough to serve me out of turn. I have it in my sweaty little hands even as I write this.

I'll be back in a few. (Still hearing that doot-dee-doot-dooo-doot-dee-doot-dooo-doot-dee-doot-dooo music though)

The suspense continues to build!

Meanwhile, in other (less down to Earth) news, check out what Shahriar got his hands on:

110 GHz, 256 GSa/s, 4 channels ... $1.3 million. I think I need to buy/repair/sell a lot more TE. :palm: :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16509 on: September 18, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »
Yeah, actually, as weird as it is to say... the timing turned out to be a little inconvenient.

I have the compressor from Franken-Cruiser's air horns tore apart all over my bench; it and my hands are covered with carbon and grease motor grunge. I really need to clean this mess up (and myself) before I go handling my new toy.  |O

I'd be afraid to breathe the air that UXR-110 sucks in, for fear my dwagon breath would contaminate the thing...  :-DD

mnem
*dirrrty... dirrrty widdle tinkerdwagon*

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16510 on: September 18, 2018, 05:40:23 pm »
Post, what is that? The post office here was on strike for a month, and nobody actually noticed it. Then again, I did get a parcel last week, sent in ( reaches down and looks at it) mid March this year. Only 6 months, the other half might be here this year still.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16511 on: September 18, 2018, 05:45:24 pm »
Wasn’t it SAPO that said that “99% of packages delivered” which only accounts to a few tens of millions missing?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16512 on: September 18, 2018, 05:59:11 pm »
Your mailbox is solar?

It's a black metal box, outside in the Texas sun. It is by definition VERY solar.  :phew:

HOT SHINY BALLS!!!

mnem
*sizzle*

On that note, the pictured thermometer that Mnem recommended to me a few pages back has turned up in the post. Nice quick response, works as advised. I haven't had an opportunity to try it for real yet, but it looks very promising. Thanks for the steer Mnem.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16513 on: September 18, 2018, 06:03:53 pm »
DU-U-UCK ME!!!

I need to replace ONE freaking 1/4" spade connector and I'm finished with these air horns, then I can go play with my new toy. You know I can find 99 different kinds of connectors in my stuff, but THAT ain't one of 'em.  |O

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16514 on: September 18, 2018, 06:05:20 pm »
On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of old meters, rising up through the air

... it's a work in progress.

That's dangerously close to Filk. Let me send you something to help. Just enter your GPS co-ordinates on this form https://suborbital-delivery.net/targetting.cgi.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16515 on: September 18, 2018, 06:54:45 pm »
My mail usually arrives later in the day and sometimes after dark. Like mnem said, our postal carriers have to work late now. Lots of mixed up and late-arriving mail in my neighborhood, too. But, at least the mail comes to the door — no need to go out in the cold, rain, etc. to fetch it.

I now get one delivery a day, at a largely random time between 11am and 4pm, . When ah were a lad the first post would be on the doormat in time for breakfast, the second post in time for lunch.

In Victorian London there were seven deliveries a day, and a letter posted by 6PM would arrive in town (3 mile radius of St Martins)  in the seventh delivery of same day or if for the country (12 mile radius) would arrive in the first post the next morning. It wasn't uncommon for Londoners to arrange their plans for the evening with friends on the day, exchanging several letters the way we would exchange text messages.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16516 on: September 18, 2018, 07:11:59 pm »

I have just enough time to post this before I have to go pick up the kids from school. Yes, it really is here, yes it really is a DE-5000, and yes all parts do appear to brand-new and unsullied by human hands. Other primate hands, I cannot say for certain.  :-DD

I'll report back once I have a chance to actually play with it a little.

mnem
"Corn-TACT!!!"

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16517 on: September 18, 2018, 07:54:37 pm »
Fleabay customer help have replied with a magic number for the 13ten website. The number is nothing like any of the other magic numbers supplied by fleabay.

The current status is "12/09/2018 10:50:57    Awaiting parcel (DATA received) 13ten", which doesn't match fleabay's email (5 days ago) stating
"We are writing to inform you that your recent purchase through the Global Shipping Programme has cleared customs and is now out for delivery with the courier."

Sigh. Victor Meldrew is becoming my hero, or at least I'm beginning to emulate him.
Arh yes, I understand, that means that as far as Ebay are concerned, it has landed here on UK soil and been processed through customs and that it now technically with the courier for delivery. What that actually means is that it has cleared customs and the paperwork work has been electronically sent to the courier (13ten) but is physically waiting to be collected from the airport and transported to their depot in South Normanton. From their it will be allocated to another courier like DPD, Hermes or Yodel, who will then again receive notification electronically, and then they will have to collect it, take to their national sorting hub, who will then send it your local depot and then it will be sent to you.

The good news is that once it reaches the final couriers national hub, its usually 24 hours or less before you receive it.  :phew:

The magic tracking number is still nowhere in my order.
The after asking and waiting two days, fleabay GSP CSR gave me a magic number for the 13ten site.
The 13ten website has a little information and a link to the Yodel website.
The Yodel (oh my joy is unbounded) website, actually appears to be useful: it says they have it and it will be a day late arriving.

That chain of links, especially the "ask and wait" manual link, is a blood disgrace; fleabay ought to be ashamed of the GSP.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16518 on: September 18, 2018, 07:55:40 pm »

You tease! :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16519 on: September 18, 2018, 08:08:33 pm »
The magic tracking number is still nowhere in my order.
The after asking and waiting two days, fleabay GSP CSR gave me a magic number for the 13ten site.
The 13ten website has a little information and a link to the Yodel website.
The Yodel (oh my joy is unbounded) website, actually appears to be useful: it says they have it and it will be a day late arriving.

That chain of links, especially the "ask and wait" manual link, is a blood disgrace; fleabay ought to be ashamed of the GSP.
In my case the tracking number used by 13ten and Yodel also did not appear anywhere on the order but by pure deduction and spotting the clickable links which are by no means obvious (only discovered by desperation and mad clicking on things to see what happened did it work for me.

Oh well at least you now have conformation that its on its way.

Yes I agree the GSP website and links are in need of some serious attention.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16520 on: September 18, 2018, 08:31:10 pm »
Meanwhile, in other (less down to Earth) news, check out what Shahriar got his hands on:

110 GHz, 256 GSa/s, 4 channels ... $1.3 million. I think I need to buy/repair/sell a lot more TE. :palm: :-DD

Wow!  :-+

The real boatanchors are back in the oscilloscope market!   ;)

*watching video*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:33:28 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16521 on: September 18, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »

Wow!  :-+

The real boatanchors are back in the oscilloscope market!   ;)

*watching video*
One thing for sure is certain, thats not going to be a DIY repair anytime soon  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16522 on: September 18, 2018, 08:54:03 pm »

HOT SHINY BALLS!!!

mnem
*sizzle*

On that note, the pictured thermometer that Mnem recommended to me a few pages back has turned up in the post. Nice quick response, works as advised. I haven't had an opportunity to try it for real yet, but it looks very promising. Thanks for the steer Mnem.
Glad to help! Now you have a conversational... ummm... probulator? to go along with your conversational cutlery. You know, for when you really need to zero in on a point.   ;)

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of old meters, rising up through the air

... it's a work in progress.
That's dangerously close to Filk. Let me send you something to help. Just enter your GPS co-ordinates on this form https://suborbital-delivery.net/targetting.cgi.
Now I know what happened to my crowbar-launcher remote...  :-DD  So conversational vapor trail as well then? That's one way to get their undivided attention...   :P

You tease! :-DD
*Frantically rummaging around for a 9V battery*

mnem
*Un-juicy*

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16523 on: September 18, 2018, 09:53:53 pm »

*Frantically rummaging around for a 9V battery*

Alternatively, you can rummage around for a compatible AC adapter.

Offline neo

• Super Contributor
  • The specialist.
« Reply #16524 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:31 pm »
Little bit of TEA news from me. With my server rack mounter 608C it always was missing the frequency knob, finally i tried to find a knob. HP orignal, 50 bucks  :palm:, chinese "industrial control switch rotary  knob" (trying to hit all the keywords me thinks) 5 bucks. I try the chinese option and it is ugly, worked though until it feel off due to lack of access to set screws. Just recently i ordered a shaft coupler and a brass shaft from china and just now i got them. I made a little adapter to turn a 3/8 shaft into a 1/4 inch shaft, or at least close enough to fractional inches with metric and with it i attached the spinner knob i got thrown in with the Joplin tube tester to it.

Works and looks so much better than the clunker of a knob i tried first.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:14:26 pm by neo »
A hopeless addict (and slave) to TEA and a firm believer that high frequency is little more than modern hoodoo.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf