Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830407 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #16750 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:54 am »
The DSO_X 3034A arrived.
Well padded, undamaged and with four probes with all probe accessories.   :-+

But I can't get it to work.  :palm:
Luckily, SWMBO didn't even ask what I received yet.   :phew:

I wished that it could be an issue with the switching power supply as this is reported (ok, rarely..).
It's not. It might be the NAND corruption issue some DSO-X 3034A-Models suffer from.
Have issued a repair request to Keysight. Don't know what the cost could be but it's HP.. Agil.. ehh Keysight.   :scared:
Is there any possibility that it might be a  known defect that there has been a recall issued but yours never got returned for the repair? If so you might be pleasantly surprised?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #16751 on: September 23, 2018, 08:17:05 am »
BTW...you Brits keep using the term "fortnight" and I had no idea what length of time it was. Google is your friend. 2 weeks.

Often combined with furlongs as a unit of velocity, i.e. furlongs/fortnight. 1furlong/fortnight is just about 1cm/minute. Of course the VAX/VMS used microfortnights: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system

Personally I rather like nanocenturies, as in "I'll only be 20 nanocenturies, dear".

Damn, you beat me to the furlongs/fortnight thing.  I often use that as a test of online unit conversion sites.  :) 

Another favorite unit of mine is the "attoparsec."   There are other interesting units such as the Beard-Second, the Smoot, and the nanoacre.

I'd forgotten the attoparsec; thanks.

The Beard-second is amusing but I'm unlikely to use it, the Smoot and nanoacre don't match on to SI units well enough to remember.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16752 on: September 23, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
Hmmmm.... an amusing morning's diversion; rummaging around the wikis on obscure measurements.

I knew about the Jimmy Griffin Index, having grown up just south of Buffalo, and seeing "6-Pack Jimmy" on TV all the time. I always thought it was a unit of "wasted time", however; approximately the length of a "nor'easter" (about 4-6 hours, and 12-14 hours before you could expect to drive anywhere).

I did NOT know about the Wiffle; it never occurred to me (probably due to having grown up with cheap Asian import toy goods) that Wiffle Balls were standardized at 89mm/3.5" in diameter. THAT is actually a pretty useful measure of scale and volume.

I like nC as well, particularly since it is easily remembered as π seconds, one of very few mathematically significant numbers I was strangely able to memorize as a small child.

mnem
*Almost feeling human, which is strange for a dwagon*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:44:30 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16753 on: September 23, 2018, 12:55:43 pm »
Are 3D printer files transportable between different 3D printers? I have a need for a small knob to be printed to fit a Tektronics TDS210 for trigger control and I have a the files that some university has developed for their own population of printers which have disappearing knobs and have made it public. Is anyone able to assist me in printing a knob for me?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16754 on: September 23, 2018, 01:00:56 pm »
Yes. there are three steps:

1. CAD native format. This is the modelling language. Depends on the package.
2. STL file. This is generated from the above and is basically the above turned into a fuck load of triangles.
3. G-Code file. This is generated from the above and consists of machine level movements.

You usually, from my knowledge throw the STL file at the company doing the prints. That is the last "portable" format. They turn that into G-code optimised for their printers.

Lots of companies will do STL prints to order on decent printers. Cheapest ones of course are in China. So if you have an STL file, find somewhere that will take it uploaded and show you a preview and a price and job done. This is all we do with PCB services but the portable format is gerber files.

This looks like the thing: https://www.3dhubs.com/3dprint

I uploaded a TDS220 knob I found as an STL and it came up with £5.28 to print in ABS with 200um layer height. Says 2 day turnaround as well so probably local
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 01:06:06 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16755 on: September 23, 2018, 01:45:40 pm »
Here's another one local to me. About 5 miles.

$100 USD for a 20Mhz scope??? :wtf: Pfffft.....even if it is an Hitachi. I wouldn't pay more than $50 and even that's generous.  :--

I'll watch it and if it stays posted for weeks I'll low ball him. But as of right now....forget it.    :-//
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16756 on: September 23, 2018, 02:10:59 pm »
I always email them and tell them they’re fucking crazy.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16757 on: September 23, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »
If it does stay unsold....and I suspect it will.....I'll e-mail him and tell him that generally scopes of that vintage sell for $1 USD/Mhz. That will make him think. Then I'll offer to double it at no more than $40 USD.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16758 on: September 23, 2018, 02:26:48 pm »
It might be the NAND corruption issue some DSO-X 3034A-Models suffer from.
Have issued a repair request to Keysight. Don't know what the cost could be but it's HP.. Agil.. ehh Keysight.   :scared:

Does it show any signs of life? If so you can hook up to the serial port to find out what the problem is.

I checked all voltages and they're all ok.
And yes, it flashes its LEDs two times and then lits up the four LEDs pointing to Ref, Math, Digital and Serial in a sequence and stays there. Run/Stop and Single remain dark and the display doesn't show anything.
Haven't tried to read out the internal serial port yet.
Is it equipped with a header or do I have to bodge one in?    :-//
If the latter is true I won't try before the scope visits Keysight..

Is there any possibility that it might be a  known defect that there has been a recall issued but yours never got returned for the repair? If so you might be pleasantly surprised?

I desperately hope that its fault might be covered by a known recall issue and that it'll be repaired for no/low cost.   :-BROKE
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:32:54 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16759 on: September 23, 2018, 02:29:59 pm »
Never emailed me like that [emoji1787]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16760 on: September 23, 2018, 02:35:18 pm »

2. STL file. This is generated from the above and is basically the above turned into a fuck load of triangles.
3. G-Code file. This is generated from the above and consists of machine level movements.

You usually, from my knowledge throw the STL file at the company doing the prints. That is the last "portable" format. They turn that into G-code optimised for their printers.

Lots of companies will do STL prints to order on decent printers. Cheapest ones of course are in China. So if you have an STL file, find somewhere that will take it uploaded and show you a preview and a price and job done. This is all we do with PCB services but the portable format is gerber files.

I uploaded a TDS220 knob I found as an STL and it came up with £5.28 to print in ABS with 200um layer height. Says 2 day turnaround as well so probably local
Thanks for the info and link, uploaded the file and it came back as unprintable. Need to do some investigation as to why and what if anything I can do about it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16761 on: September 23, 2018, 02:36:01 pm »
I desperately hope that its fault might be covered by a known recall issue and that it'll be repaired for no/low cost.   :-BROKE

Wave this at them: http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/DSOX2002A-05.pdf

Also there's a comment here which points to possibly being able to reflash it from the USB port on boot.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg642279/#msg642279

It might get far enough through the boot sequence to do that.

I'd be pooping my pants with that purchase.

Worked for someone! https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dsox2000-and-3000-series-licence-have-anyone-tried-to-hack-that-scope/msg676455/#msg676455
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 02:38:22 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: URI

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16762 on: September 23, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »
Thanks for the info and link, uploaded the file and it came back as unprintable. Need to do some investigation as to why and what if anything I can do about it.

I did one from here and it worked fine: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1733833/files

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16763 on: September 23, 2018, 02:37:39 pm »

$100 USD for a 20Mhz scope??? :wtf: Pfffft.....even if it is an Hitachi. I wouldn't pay more than $50 and even that's generous.  :--

I'll watch it and if it stays posted for weeks I'll low ball him. But as of right now....forget it.    :-//

Do you actually want that, even if it was free? I find that question is a useful way for me avoiding buying crap :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16764 on: September 23, 2018, 02:40:32 pm »

I'm frequently tempted to, but life is too short and too full of psychos who will threaten to slash me for imagined insults.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16765 on: September 23, 2018, 02:41:30 pm »
I'm frequently tempted to, but life is too short and too full of psychos who will threaten to slash me for imagined insults.

I am the psycho so that eliminates that problem.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16766 on: September 23, 2018, 02:42:00 pm »

I guess he presumes by now that you know he thinks you're crazy!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16767 on: September 23, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »

Try uploading to shapeways and seeing if their sanity checks indicate anything.

Download netfabb basic (runs under wine) and see if that shown problems. It can also repair some problems related to "near misses" with the triangles.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #16768 on: September 23, 2018, 03:06:51 pm »
They may not be crazy at all.  They may simply be waiting for the one punter that doesn't understand and throws the money at them.

Errrr.... on second thought - nah.  They be crazy.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16769 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:33 pm »

I did one from here and it worked fine: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1733833/files
That's where I got the file from but for the 210, the 220 looks a bit better so I'll have a squiss at it when I get back, currently out at North Weald with the Knat display team getting ready for Duxford show.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16770 on: September 23, 2018, 03:18:23 pm »

I guess he presumes by now that you know he thinks you're crazy!
Hahaha you might well be right at that [emoji6]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #16771 on: September 23, 2018, 04:33:38 pm »

Do you actually want that, even if it was free? I find that question is a useful way for me avoiding buying crap :)

It's sort of "meh".  :-// It's not on a "must have" list but it's not on the "don't want" list.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #16772 on: September 23, 2018, 04:57:52 pm »

A part that small, I wouldn't print at more than .1mm layer height; preferably .06 to .08mm. Most not-absolutely-cheap-as-possible printers made in the last 3-4 years will do that.

US$7 seems about right; probably a dime's worth of filament, but 30 min file/printer prep and 20-60 min print time depending on layer height.

*Does quick slice*

Cura sez 48 min print time on the TDS220 LARGE KNOB  at .08mm layer height, ultra fine detail profile and 3¢ worth of filament. I just started it printing to see what it looks like; I need to figure out  something anyways as my platen keeps moving. This'll be a good test scenario for the easiest fix, which is just to use binder clips.

It's sort of "meh".  :-// It's not on a "must have" list but it's not on the "don't want" list.
$100 IS a bit steep for a V-212, even if it included probes. OTOH, they HAVE developed a bit of a cult following for a couple reasons: A) They were on nearly EVERY Tech/College/Trade School Electronics Lab workbench for nearly 2 decades, so nostalgia; and 2) they just plain WORK.

Case in Point: My poor "red-headed stepchild" V-212 that spent more than a decade on the back-back of my back bench with a cheezy home-mad junction tester attached to it.  :palm:

mnem
*Sorting junk-ily*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:52:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16773 on: September 23, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »

There is a header so if it already has been opened you can do it without leaving any traces ;) Anyway, first let's see what Keysight has to say about it, good chance that it will be the known problem and they will fix it for you for free. If not let me know and we can explore other options.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16774 on: September 23, 2018, 07:08:03 pm »

There is a header so if it already has been opened you can do it without leaving any traces ;) Anyway, first let's see what Keysight has to say about it, good chance that it will be the known problem and they will fix it for you for free. If not let me know and we can explore other options.

Ah, ok. Then I know what header it is.  :-+
Was in there already.   :)
I'm waiting for Keysights reaction and will report then.

*Looking for universal USB to Serial, TTL/RS232-level -adapter*

EDIT: Meanwhile I followed the links bd139 pointed me to (thanks!) and also thanks to FrankBuss (see his posting) I now know the pin out of that serial pin header.  :-+
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:13:31 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf