Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551872 times)

marcumr, ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #19275 on: November 07, 2018, 12:59:10 pm »
Haha yea I was referring to the "IMPUT" not sure what that is LOL.

Oh but look at the CAL Output BNC - the center pin seems to be sticking way out without the plastic ferrule around it. Doesn't that look odd?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Offline scl

• Contributor
« Reply #19276 on: November 07, 2018, 02:21:11 pm »

I think the CAL Output connector is a normal 75 Ohm BNC.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #19277 on: November 07, 2018, 03:16:38 pm »
Fuck... first bite of breakfast, and a spot of egg yolk on my keyboard. Put my plate down to clean it up real quick, and knock eggy fork off onto the floor.    :palm:

I can see what kind of day this is shaping up to be already; I'm going back to bed.

mnem
Verticalness is highly overrated.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19278 on: November 07, 2018, 03:26:09 pm »
My youngest poured 1kg of glitter in the carpet this morning. Swap?  :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #19279 on: November 07, 2018, 04:22:17 pm »

With Dyson vacuum cleaners they can (be forced to) see it disappearing, never to be returned. That might stick in their mind :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19280 on: November 07, 2018, 04:36:10 pm »
Unfortunately my DC07 snuffed it about 2 years ago otherwise I would have done exactly that. Henry does a good job though

Edit to keep it TEA related. I need a decade box. Thinking about grabbing one of these from CPC as it's relatively cheap, has a decent range unlike some of the other ones and looks like it might be easy enough to repair when I inevitably smoke it.

https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/72-7270/resistance-decade-box/dp/IN04175

Any thoughts?

Use cases are mainly small signal impedance measurement, tuning opamp circuits, measurement bridges.

I can't be arsed to build one before anyone suggests that :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:42:32 pm by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19281 on: November 07, 2018, 05:36:28 pm »
Edit to keep it TEA related. I need a decade box. Thinking about grabbing one of these from CPC as it's relatively cheap, has a decent range unlike some of the other ones and looks like it might be easy enough to repair when I inevitably smoke it.

Any thoughts?

Use cases are mainly small signal impedance measurement, tuning opamp circuits, measurement bridges.

I've never seen the point in them, doubly so when considering their fragility when you change 1001 to 999 "the wrong way".
Long leads are a problem in many circuits; interference , inductance.
Adding a 1ohm resistor to a 1kohm resistor doesn't result in a 1.001kohm resistor[1].
For opamp circuits, first calculate, then build manhattan, then add/subtract resistors on judiciously placed pads.

OTOH, one type of "bridge" is invaluable and difficult to replace: a KVD. Especially if it is a 7decade device, which also gets you bragging rights, e.g.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/teardownjulie_reasearch_labs_vdr1067_vdr307_kelvin_varley_voltage_divider/msg1103686/#msg1103686

[1] exception: precision devices such as 121.1ohm (+20mohm!) Dekastats:

Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19282 on: November 07, 2018, 05:48:12 pm »
Certainly don’t need anything that nice of accurate or down to that resolution. 1% over the range is fine.

Have been using that approach so far. I would like however to be able to change some circuit parameters a little easier. I usually solder a trimmer in (I got a bourns trimmer dev kit ages ago), do the measurement, desolder it and measure with DMM. It’s just inconvenient.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #19283 on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:06 pm »
Received my second P6201 FET probe. It appears to be practically brand new with all accessories present (unlike the Boeing one above)! The ground clip and accessories are sealed in a bag and it has a Tektronix inspection tag tied to the leads. Now to wait on the Tek 1101 accessory power supply I got.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19284 on: November 07, 2018, 06:00:50 pm »
Certainly don’t need anything that nice of accurate or down to that resolution. 1% over the range is fine.

Yes, but that CPC decade box is 5%, building one is a piece of piss after the thing you've been building lately, once you have the parts its about an hours work and its done.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19285 on: November 07, 2018, 06:06:05 pm »

Have been using that approach so far. I would like however to be able to change some circuit parameters a little easier. I usually solder a trimmer in (I got a bourns trimmer dev kit ages ago), do the measurement, desolder it and measure with DMM. It’s just inconvenient.

Trimmer is perfectly respectable, of course.

I suppose I associate resistance boxes with solderless breadboards, and I hate the latter with a vengence! I believe I would come to hate the former, if I ever used them.

Of course I don't need the KVD and Dekastat - but you should be expunged from this thread for even raising that concept!

I've just thought of a use for a resistance box: to sell at a hamfest. Second hand ones are ideal, since they are cheap and an impulse purchase: everybody thinks "oooh, I'm sure one of those will com in handy".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19286 on: November 07, 2018, 06:52:51 pm »
Fuck... first bite of breakfast, and a spot of egg yolk on my keyboard. Put my plate down to clean it up real quick, and knock eggy fork off onto the floor.    :palm:

I can see what kind of day this is shaping up to be already; I'm going back to bed.

mnem
Verticalness is highly overrated.
In a heartbeat. THAT has epic comedic value; you'll be telling that story to embarrass them in front of their prom dates.   >:D

My oldest wet the bed this morning. AGAIN. Trade? :-DD

mnem
And yet, I STILL put both feet on the ground every morning.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19287 on: November 07, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
I need a decade box. Thinking about grabbing one of these from CPC as it's relatively cheap, has a decent range unlike some of the other ones and looks like it might be easy enough to repair when I inevitably smoke it.

Any thoughts?

I fixed and use a couple of old IET RCS-500 boxes (R: 7 decades, 1Ω resolution, 1%; C: 6 decades, 100pF resolution, 4%). They use thumb wheel switches, which are still working OK, but of course don't compare to the big self-cleaning switches in the old GenRad 1432/1433 or similar.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19288 on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:12 pm »

The only people I know who buy glitter by the kilogram are infant school art teachers and drag queens. We know you aren't an infant school art teacher. Is there something you need to tell us?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19289 on: November 07, 2018, 10:24:27 pm »
Henry the Hoover!!!

Laughed my butt off!!
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19290 on: November 07, 2018, 10:33:55 pm »
The only people I know who buy glitter by the kilogram are infant school art teachers and drag queens. We know you aren't an infant school art teacher. Is there something you need to tell us?

Inlaws that hate me is the secret here :)

Still no resistance substitution box solution yet. I am now considering building my own but as usual the problem is with finishing off the unit i.e. knobs/legends etc. Turns out that knobs with 0-9 skirts are bloody expensive.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19291 on: November 07, 2018, 10:38:20 pm »

Inlaws that hate me is the secret here :)

Still no resistance substitution box solution yet. I am now considering building my own but as usual the problem is with finishing off the unit i.e. knobs/legends etc. Turns out that knobs with 0-9 skirts are bloody expensive.
You could use thumbwheel switches, much cheaper and also smaller and you can even use your beloved SMD resistors soldered directly onto each switch?

Heres one I made last year using TH 1% resistors .25w rated IIRC. It can in theory provide 9,999,999 ohms +/- 1% but you can take higher if required as the switches come in groups of 10

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:09:49 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19292 on: November 07, 2018, 10:56:48 pm »
Possibility. That is up for consideration. Finding some reliable thumbwheel switches isn't as easy as it looks sometimes though :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19293 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »
Depends on just how much you will be using it and also the power you intend to pump through, I used some cheap ones of ebay, 1% resistors rated at either .25 or .5W IIRC. Obviously they are not that accurate at very low ohms due to contact resistance but it gets remarkably accurate the higher up the scale you go.

It reads about 2 ohms higher throughout and unless you really need to be that precise at the low end it is fine.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19294 on: November 07, 2018, 11:30:22 pm »

SO feeling this today.

mnem
Did I mention that I'm self-employed?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19295 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:01 am »
err let me think about for a minute.....YES  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19296 on: November 08, 2018, 12:17:57 am »
Depends on just how much you will be using it and also the power you intend to pump through, I used some cheap ones of ebay, 1% resistors rated at either .25 or .5W IIRC. Obviously they are not that accurate at very low ohms due to contact resistance but it gets remarkably accurate the higher up the scale you go.

It reads about 2 ohms higher throughout and unless you really need to be that precise at the low end it is fine.

Usual range is around 200R - 5M or so. Nothing more either way. Accuracy isn't a big deal at low end. Not a lot of power either. Most of the time it'll be used to find a close resistor substitution within a few percent.

I may build one. I have found some reasonable switches (low contact resistance MBB) and some knobs now. Looking to cost about the same as a Tenma one though...

Anyway I stayed up late so I could escalate my Fluke 87IV claim (bastard!) so I'm going to bed now.

Edit: well that was quick. Refunded already due to no tracking provided. Well done eBay.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 12:38:51 am by bd139 »

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19297 on: November 08, 2018, 02:37:31 am »
Anyway I stayed up late so I could escalate my Fluke 87IV claim (bastard!) so I'm going to bed now.

Edit: well that was quick. Refunded already due to no tracking provided. Well done eBay.

And then it shows up tomorrow. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #19298 on: November 08, 2018, 03:02:45 am »
So I reviewed the list of abbreviations in the first message of this thread and I can't find one that applies to my situation.

The situation where you know you have a piece of test equipment but you can't find it.  You've looked everywhere, you know you have it, you know it exists somewhere within a finite distance of where you are now, but you can't figure out where the dang thing is.

Specifically, after giving up on repairing my first multimeter, the little pocket meter that I said would work only when I pushed hard on the case in one spot, I decided to move on to fixing my second meter.  A vintage Radio Shack meter.  I quit using it many years ago when it started doing strange things on some functions.  Don't remember the details over 20 years later.  I used it's malfunction as an excuse to get a better meter.   But now I'm curious if I can repar it, and it's no where to be found...

Edit:  Update - As soon as I post this, a thought occurs to me, "I know one more place where it might be."  I found it in a box of stuff in the hall closet.  Where coats and shoes and stuff go.  Not test equipment....   The problem is that a couple decades of storage in it's retail box, in a moving box full of other junk, it hasn't fared well.  Pictures and more story may be forthcoming, but I have to go cram the rest of the junk back into the closet.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 04:23:23 am by Carl_Smith »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #19299 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:19 am »
So I reviewed the list of abbreviations in the first message of this thread and I can't find one that applies to my situation.

The situation where you know you have a piece of test equipment but you can't find it.  You've looked everywhere, you know you have it, you know it exists somewhere within a finite distance of where you are now, but you can't figure out where the dang thing is.

Specifically, after giving up on repairing my first multimeter, the little pocket meter that I said would work only when I pushed hard on the case in one spot, I decided to move on to fixing my second meter.  A vintage Radio Shack Micronta meter, if I remember right.  I quit using it many years ago when it started doing strange things on some functions.  Don't remember the details over 20 years later.  I used it's malfunction as an excuse to get a better meter.   But now I'm curious if I can repar it, and it's no where to be found...
An appropriate one is on the posting page:  :rant:
Perfect when things don't go right.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf