Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14916617 times)

Wolfgang and 256 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #19600 on: November 13, 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
Good lord... I've given away more than that; first when I went down the "Tiny Whoop" rabbit hole, then again when I crawled out and found everything I had saved was 3 generations out of date. Pretty much all I kept last go around was some unbuilt "antiques" and some custom frames made by friends in the biz. And I STILL have more than that left...  :-DD    :palm:    |O

Thankfully, I never got into the worst of the miniature quad addiction. When the largest room in your apartment is no larger than 20 m2, even the smallest craft spend more time on the floor than they do in the air. As Stockholm is coastal and has permanent winds, flying anything without any weight outside is merely a good way to dispose of it!

I love the design ethic of that thing... "Fuck making a custom box for our dual supply; we'll just glue two single supplies together. We'd have to pay somebody to design something we already designed, then pay somebody to make it, then horror of horrors, we'd have to keep paying people to warehouse and track a part the size of two whole PSUs in inventory. Awww, HELL no!"   :-DD

Yeah, I love the way that the "Quad Mode" switch unit in the middle doesn't align with the rest of the unit. It sticks out a bit, for no good reason, the black bar doesn't line up with the black bar on the supplies and it contains almost nothing which hardly justifies the width it takes up. Using the decimals on the current meters to indicate set, measure and limit is equally off the wall.

The entire supply has "idiosyncratic" stamped all over it, but to my eye, that's good reason to like it!

Yeah... I have a few "Doc Brown" looking bits of gear... particularly power supplies... that just keep working.

But that "decimals" thing... I'd HAVE to customize that bitch and pronto; I have the attention span of a ferret on crack and would for sure not notice I have the wrong mode set... "TZZZZZZT!"

As for the quadcopter addiction... I have more in bins than would fit in that space.  :-DD   That said... good luck with keeping it that small.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #19601 on: November 13, 2018, 07:39:47 pm »
Man I TEAd so hard this morning...found a really nice packaged deal on an HP 5335A universal counter (with ALL options, including the high precision oven timebase!) and a 5350B microwave counter for $500 or so for the both. Both clean and calibrated too. I've decided that I want to focus on microwave for my ham activities, so this is a great find for me.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19602 on: November 13, 2018, 07:50:52 pm »
Hey, 0culus,

nice catch!

Will you do a teardown with pictures here?   :-/O    :)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19603 on: November 13, 2018, 08:00:16 pm »
Man I TEAd so hard this morning...found a really nice packaged deal on an HP 5335A universal counter (with ALL options, including the high precision oven timebase!) and a 5350B microwave counter for $500 or so for the both. Both clean and calibrated too. I've decided that I want to focus on microwave for my ham activities, so this is a great find for me.

Also got a HP 5350B. It's really a nice instrument.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19604 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »
I found it on ebay.com and bought it right away eight ours after being listed.  :)
Yes the keys are standard rubber keys. But since everyone uses them since the '90s even for Test Equipment costing 10s of k$ they can't be too bad, can they?
In fact, even the classic HP keys do get defective/inoperable..     :popcorn:
Personally I like cherry keys but I haven't found those in Test Equipment yet.   :-DD

Mentioning the high prices of HP 53132A's the PM6690's are even worse in that field. Yes, in fact they are a class up the HP 53132A, but I would only go for a Jammy Git awarding price.  :-DD
What's with the universal counters being so stupidly expensive? What are people doing that makes them so desirable?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19605 on: November 13, 2018, 08:09:31 pm »
It's a good question. I suppose it's much like the 6.5 digit DMM really. It's a primary reference of some kind in this case time or frequency.

Or in the case of the Rigol, jitter  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #19606 on: November 13, 2018, 08:17:16 pm »
It's a good question. I suppose it's much like the 6.5 digit DMM really. It's a primary reference of some kind in this case time or frequency.

Or in the case of the Rigol, jitter  :-DD
A good 6,5 digit DMM is actually a whole lot cheaper than these frequency counters. If you push it you may even buy two or a 7,5 digit one for that kind of money.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19607 on: November 13, 2018, 08:22:31 pm »
That's a good point. Counters have a lot more digits. Wonder if there's a correlation.

cost = ndigits!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19608 on: November 13, 2018, 08:58:51 pm »
Hey, 0culus,

nice catch!

Will you do a teardown with pictures here?   :-/O    :)

Maybe! It will have to be in December though due to other obligations. :)

Also got a HP 5350B. It's really a nice instrument.

Very good! Looking forward to getting mine!

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #19609 on: November 14, 2018, 12:44:16 am »
TEA again.
Just bought my second Fluke PM6681 universal timer (read here). I don't really have the space for it.  :palm:
But for the overall price I really couldn't stand it.

Ah, so you got that one. I saw that there was one other watcher and I had asked the seller what he did to "refurbish" it as well as photos of the rest of the unit. After he replied, you bought it.

I'm very curious about its true condition, when you get it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19610 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:39 am »
In other news...

Committed a little retail therapy at HobbyKing last week; it arrived today. I had a Revolt build half-finished from before I went down the rabbit-hole, and they have the V2 on sale for $27. Added the rest to fill some holes in my wiring cabinet and get just over $50 for free shipping from the US warehouse. That's 2 oz CA accelerant & Gel CA, enough epoxy to build a real boat, and 50m of 3mm copper foil for random repair work among other stuff.

*Sigh* Now to start on the Helio build... or should I just jump straight to the Strix "F10"...  :palm:

mnem
Too... much... junk... *CRAAAASSHH!!!* *~help me...~*

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:51:02 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19611 on: November 14, 2018, 01:07:42 am »
Still expensive. I will quite happily pay £350 for one with bumpers that is working and shipped from UK via respectable courier. None have appeared with that characteristic yet.
Even the beat up 34401As seem to be pricy, indeed. Though I tend to gravitate towards good cosmetic condition gear. I'd rather ruin it myself!

Makes me wish I had bought a bunch of them a few years ago when nice ones could be had for $200 with some patience. Ah, well.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19612 on: November 14, 2018, 01:26:43 am »
I have not words to express my pleasure right now...   >:D

mnem
*Stack... bin... stack... bin... stack... bin...*
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:07:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19613 on: November 14, 2018, 01:32:47 am »
mnem you have a lot of toys there...what's the project (sorry if I missed it above..  :-BROKE )?  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #19614 on: November 14, 2018, 01:34:02 am »
mnem you have a lot of toys there...what's the project (sorry if I missed it above..  :-BROKE )?  :-DD
The Dwagon wants to fly !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19615 on: November 14, 2018, 02:19:12 am »

Wow, nice catch, indeed! Congrats, 0culus.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #19616 on: November 14, 2018, 02:21:28 am »
Delivery tomorrow. It's at my local UPS Office.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19617 on: November 14, 2018, 02:22:36 am »
Mentioning the high prices of HP 53132A's the PM6690's are even worse in that field. Yes, in fact they are a class up the HP 53132A, but I would only go for a Jammy Git awarding price.  :-DD
What's with the universal counters being so stupidly expensive? What are people doing that makes them so desirable?

I don't know. A couple years ago, they weren't so expensive and especially the 53181A were going for pretty cheap. The market...she's finicky.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19618 on: November 14, 2018, 02:24:04 am »
The Dwagon wants to fly !

LOLOL...  :-DD Yeah, sortof. Getting back into my previous addiction.

Not sure I'm ready yet... but at least getting started at pulling the puzzle pieces together. I have a couple nanos that never got built... and I started a Bulldawg (Custom frame by a friend of mine) RaceFlight build I need to finish just for the sake of my own OCD nature. I may go straight to ButterFlight on that one tho...

mnem
No, the irony is not lost on me. };=)~~~~<
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:30:22 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19619 on: November 14, 2018, 03:44:27 am »
Oh fun! Now you need to make one big enough to ride and you'll have a hoverbike!  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19620 on: November 14, 2018, 04:57:50 am »
Oh fun! Now you need to make one big enough to ride and you'll have a hoverbike!  :-DD

Thanks, no... my name is not Colin Furze.:-DD  I'll gladly let that nutcase take it one toke over the line in the name of bombast and testosterone so I don't have to. ;)

mnem
"When Liverpool filled up, all the nuts rolled downhill to Stamford." ~ Random FB conversation

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19621 on: November 14, 2018, 06:14:48 am »
TEA again.
Just bought my second Fluke PM6681 universal timer (read here). I don't really have the space for it.  :palm:

Ah, so you got that one. I saw that there was one other watcher and I had asked the seller what he did to "refurbish" it as well as photos of the rest of the unit. After he replied, you bought it.

Errm. Yes.  :o

Didn't take that route asking questions -because I've also been there: Asked a seller details about the item and before he answered it was sold.
In this case (I was looking for one since almost two years) -meaning: at that price*- I knew I had to act real quick.  8)

Just checked the feedback profile, saw that the seller had good feedback also for Test gear >$1k and only one marginal bad feedback and jumped right in.

It's a bit of a risk I admit. I'm also curious.   :)
I'll let you know if it's  :-BROKE or  :-+ -be sure.   :popcorn:

*-Shipping was also reasonable low for shipping over the pond.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19622 on: November 14, 2018, 07:49:21 am »
TEA again.

Errm. Yes.  :o

Didn't take that route asking questions -because I've also been there: Asked a seller details about the item and before he answered it was sold.
In this case (I was looking for one since almost two years) -meaning: at that price*- I knew I had to act real quick.  8)

Just checked the feedback profile, saw that the seller had good feedback also for Test gear >$1k and only one marginal bad feedback and jumped right in.

It's a bit of a risk I admit. I'm also curious.   :)
I'll let you know if it's  :-BROKE or  :-+ -be sure.   :popcorn:

*-Shipping was also reasonable low for shipping over the pond.
Yes but if it was sold before they answered, you might just have dodged a bullet there.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19623 on: November 14, 2018, 02:37:02 pm »

Talking of Chinese stuff, look what Mr Postman brought today from Banggood. Much woot:

Damn you, I've been trying to resist the lure of the drone but winter beckons and a project for the dark evenings will be needed.

Any particular frame or is it obvious on BG?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19624 on: November 14, 2018, 02:41:39 pm »
Hahaha sorry :)

https://www.banggood.com/HSKRC-TWE210-210mm-Wheelbase-4mm-Arm-3K-Carbon-Fiber-X-Type-FPV-Racing-Frame-Kit-for-RC-Drone-p-1283150.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=UK

Shipping from UK at moment as well for £15.

Excellent bit of kit actually.

Edit: blame mnementh for this one :-DD

Source material:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf