Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14832782 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20500 on: December 01, 2018, 07:43:24 pm »
Haha. More  [Mr Bean Video] Mr bean actually goes past my house in this clip :)

I need to find three HP knob inserts now though  :palm:

https://youtu.be/8DUf8Ulp66A

You just can't do "Road Trip" without this classic...  :-DD

BTW... as a youngster, I actually sat my very own little dwagon arse in that version of BigFoot. Bob Chandler is one of the nicest guys in motorsports, bar none.

mnem
"Eat my Shortchs!" - Walter Matthau

I loved cannon ball run and smokey and the bandit :D

Haha. More

https://youtu.be/FYuQctvKNLg
Not the one with the Reliant outside
Mr bean actually goes past my house in this clip :)

I need to find three HP knob inserts now though  :palm:
Not the one with the Reliant outside  :-DD

Hahaha :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20501 on: December 01, 2018, 08:50:22 pm »
My long awaited replacement power amp module for the Technics SU-VZ220 amplifier arrived so I fitted it today and also double checked a couple of decoupling capacitors that may have been letting B+ into one of the channels, both tested perfectly OK, so the module was fitted next and sure enough the DC leak has been eliminated and normal hi-fi has been enabled once again. I was impressed with the frequency response of the amplifier as the spec sheet claims 3Hz to 80KHz and according to my TDS210, it actually delivers that as well, though not sure why 80KHz as its outside of the human hearing range? :-//

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline montemcguire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20502 on: December 02, 2018, 12:19:33 am »
I was impressed with the frequency response of the amplifier as the spec sheet claims 3Hz to 80KHz and according to my TDS210, it actually delivers that as well, though not sure why 80KHz as its outside of the human hearing range? :-//

In order to get flat response to 20kHz, you have to have a -3dB point closer to 80-100kHz, unless you jump through great hoops to get rid of "excess" bandwidth - it doesn't just go away if you don't need it. With a simple one or two pole rolloff though, it's easier to let the 3dB point fall at a very high frequency so you can get 20kHz flat.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20503 on: December 02, 2018, 12:42:52 am »
Right - so I was able to add Option 001 fairly easily after watching the DEFPOM's video a few times. Which gives a bonus of me now being able to understand thick New Zealand accents.  :)

Now the unit can do more tricks like modulate channel A with any of the other channels, or add any of the channels together and output the summed signal. Some trivial examples are shown such as 90% AM, adding a level of noise to a sine wave, adding together a square wave + noise + triangle wave, and even manually setting up the first 4 terms of the Fourier series and producing a poor square wave LOL.

It doesn't take much to entertain me.  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20504 on: December 02, 2018, 12:48:55 am »
That’s very cool. Quite a powerful little box that!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20505 on: December 02, 2018, 12:56:42 am »
Complex waveforms keep me entertained too.  :-+ :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20506 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:17 am »
Right - so I was able to add Option 001 fairly easily after watching the DEFPOM's video a few times. Which gives a bonus of me now being able to understand thick New Zealand accents.  :)
Actually Defpom is what we used to refer to as a $2 Kiwi.....an immigrant......from where, well the clue is in his handle/name.
I don't even notice the UK accent even when he or I have called on one another. He's been here a while so I guess he's picked up a little of our Kiwi twang. Haven't met his parents that live quite close to him but for sure their UK accent will be stronger.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20507 on: December 02, 2018, 01:25:14 am »
Well am a 100% pure POM and I have not noticed much of a kiwi accent at all and I can understand him perfectly OK  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20508 on: December 02, 2018, 02:29:48 am »
Well am a 100% pure POM and I have not noticed much of a kiwi accent at all and I can understand him perfectly OK  :-//

OK, explain....."defpom" and "POM"  :-//

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20509 on: December 02, 2018, 03:06:21 am »

Yes somebody please, means nothing to me.  :-//

The thing is he talks really fast with that accent which is part of the problem (for me) while I'm trying to make notes so I don't brick my new toy. And he's pressing those buttons on the 8904 equally as fast - I'm like bro slow down for the rest of us LOL.  :wtf:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20510 on: December 02, 2018, 03:17:00 am »
Pom - several different options. generally preceded be whining or whinging if you are Australian or a Kiwi (already wearing my flameproof suit) can also be followed in the form of 'Pommie Child of Unmarried parents' :-DD

A two pound Pom like Tautech referred to is what it cost a Pom to immigrate to Australia or New Zealand circa 1950 (was actually 10 pounds).

Pom generally refers to someone from England as distinct for Scottish, Welsh or Irish. But sometimes may include the others too. 'Prisoner of Mother England' or 'Prisioner of their Majesty'

'def' based on his youtube music is a musical reference hot or cool etc.....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:25:46 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, med6753

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20511 on: December 02, 2018, 03:38:08 am »
Pom - several different options. generally preceded be whining or whinging if you are Australian or a Kiwi (already wearing my flameproof suit) can also be followed in the form of 'Pommie Child of Unmarried parents' :-DD

A two pound Pom like Tautech referred to is what it cost a Pom to immigrate to Australia or New Zealand circa 1950 (was actually 10 pounds).

Pom generally refers to someone from England as distinct for Scottish, Welsh or Irish. But sometimes may include the others too. 'Prisoner of Mother England' or 'Prisioner of their Majesty'

'def' based on his youtube music is a musical reference hot or cool etc.....
That and that ^^
Was originally POME and originating in Aussie as motherland prisoners in the colony where many were made to do hard labor in developing the country, then shortened to just POM.
Used to be an offensive term here but now more endearing as referring to their UK roots.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20512 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11:14 am »

So has nothing to do with this tincture of moose feet then?  :-DD

mnem
No, thanks; I'm trying to cut back...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20513 on: December 02, 2018, 04:34:41 am »

Oh, hell no.

In Australia, POM is, for the UK, much the same as YANK is for the USA.  There may have been some derogatory elements in their earlier evolution - and many of us realise they are a term that is applied beyond their original demographic - but these days they are both just a simple descriptive term.  Any derogatory component now comes from adjectival qualification.

... so I guess he's picked up a little of our Kiwi twang.

That twang is quite persistent.  I was at a garage sale a few years ago and heard a lady there say something.  I turned to address her stating "You're a kiwi."  She looked at me somewhat startled and told me she left New Zealand 17 years ago.  She obviously thought that would be long enough to lose that accent.

I don't think it ever goes away.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 04:36:51 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20514 on: December 02, 2018, 05:07:06 am »

Correct. Also, not this kind of Pom:  :-DD

Then again, Ozzy + Pom = defpom?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:09:25 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20515 on: December 02, 2018, 07:31:34 am »

That twang is quite persistent.  I was at a garage sale a few years ago and heard a lady there say something.  I turned to address her stating "You're a kiwi."  She looked at me somewhat startled and told me she left New Zealand 17 years ago.  She obviously thought that would be long enough to lose that accent.

Just like a NYC (and upper New Jersey) accent. It NEVER goes away and I can pick it out a mile away.   :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20516 on: December 02, 2018, 07:34:28 am »

Then again, Ozzy + Pom = defpom?

I think that Pom has more active brain cells than it's owner.  :-DD

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20517 on: December 02, 2018, 09:28:39 am »
..for bitseeker:

There's room on the bench reardless how crowded it is, e.g. on my bench there's now an inverted pyramid stack of TE...

...because I wanted to test the counter but wasn't eager for rearranging my bench/tidying it up.   ;)    :-DD
When I get back to the 6114A again I will have to do something.   :palm:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20518 on: December 02, 2018, 01:00:08 pm »

Ok then, as I understand from the https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=def that Def is a slang word for "cool" and also Pom has long been slang for a "Brit"  (British person) so to me it means a cool brit.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20519 on: December 02, 2018, 01:03:44 pm »
Here's the improved version of a 190VDC reference completed and mounted in a case. I changed the 4 turn trim with a 25 turn trim pot to give a finer adjustment. The reference is not perfect but it is significantly better than my old version. The old one would drift around as much as 2 to 4 volts which made it almost useless as a decent reference. With the improved regulation it drifts about +/- 70mV or about 140mV total. One heck of an improvement and I can live with that amount of drift. But I'm sure it can be improved. Perhaps an op-amp with a precision reference as a feedback loop to null out any drift. But I'm not smart enough to figure that out so for now I'll leave it as is. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20520 on: December 02, 2018, 01:10:06 pm »
Try swapping out the resistors for ~1W metal film 1% resistors. Carbon ones drift terribly when they get warm. 250-500 ppm/oC at average. You can get that down to 50ppm/oC and use larger resistors that dont get warm to dodge it.

If you want to play with this idea, solder a 100 ohm cheap CF resistor on the end of a couple of bits of wire and plug it into a handheld DMM and wave it over a flame. Then do the same with an MF one.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:13:03 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20521 on: December 02, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »
Here's the improved version of a 190VDC reference completed and mounted in a case. I changed the 4 turn trim with a 25 turn trim pot to give a finer adjustment. The reference is not perfect but it is significantly better than my old version. The old one would drift around as much as 2 to 4 volts which made it almost useless as a decent reference. With the improved regulation it drifts about +/- 70mV or about 140mV total. One heck of an improvement and I can live with that amount of drift. But I'm sure it can be improved. Perhaps an op-amp with a precision reference as a feedback loop to null out any drift. But I'm not smart enough to figure that out so for now I'll leave it as is. 

At that level of voltage, I would agree that your reference is perfectly acceptable.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20522 on: December 02, 2018, 01:15:24 pm »
Try swapping out the resistors for ~1W metal film 1% resistors. Carbon ones drift terribly when they get warm. 250-500 ppm/oC at average. You can get that down to 50ppm/oC and use larger resistors that dont get warm to dodge it.

If you want to play with this idea, solder a 100 ohm cheap CF resistor on the end of a couple of bits of wire and plug it into a handheld DMM and wave it over a flame. Then do the same with an MF one.

Hmmm...maybe go one better with 0.1% resistors. The next Mouser order will include some.  :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20523 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:04 pm »

Just like a NYC (and upper New Jersey) accent. It NEVER goes away and I can pick it out a mile away.   :palm:

Yup, upper NJ for me.  I've been in Florida for 29 years.  The accent is less but still there.  Of course, I can easily exaggerate it if necessary.  Fuggeddaboudit.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20524 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:46 pm »

Hmmm...maybe go one better with 0.1% resistors. The next Mouser order will include some.  :-+

Don’t really need 0.1% as you can cal the thing out with your trimmer. Main thing is low ppm drift. If you can do better than 50ppm put your money into that.

Also if it doesn’t get any better then the IC is probably causing it. Glue it to a big chunk of metal :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf