Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555419 times)

djadeski, Vince, duckduck and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20575 on: December 04, 2018, 12:25:57 am »
Sadly, there is a lot of that shady shipping from xx on eBay, I say shady because it was probably shipped from calif as stated, but only once he received the item from Hong Kong or China. The way they list it leads one to believe that the item is actually in say calif and so you think, quite rightly so, that it will be a just a few days before you receive it which is technically misleading you and ought not to be allowed.

Yeah, that's why I've made it a habit to look for listings offering "Fast N Free" shipping. As long as it isn't more than a few dollars more, I'll go with the Fast N Free vendor. Usually, the folks who offer that also have top-notch feedback as well. Of course, I know I'm spoiled living in the middle of the US, and once I move to Toronto, that convenient shipping will vaporize... :o

mnem
Why is my car?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20576 on: December 04, 2018, 12:28:36 am »
Sadly, there is a lot of that shady shipping from xx on eBay, I say shady because it was probably shipped from calif as stated, but only once he received the item from Hong Kong or China. The way they list it leads one to believe that the item is actually in say calif and so you think, quite rightly so, that it will be a just a few days before you receive it which is technically misleading you and ought not to be allowed.

Yeah, that's why I've made it a habit to look for listings offering "Fast N Free" shipping. As long as it isn't more than a few dollars more, I'll go with the Fast N Free vendor. Usually, the folks who offer that also have top-notch feedback as well. Of course, I know I'm spoiled living in the middle of the US, and once I move to Toronto, that convenient shipping will vaporize... :o

mnem
Why is my car?
Are you trying to run away from chump  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20577 on: December 04, 2018, 01:25:53 am »
Funnily enough if there's ever a voltage incident on anything I've ever seen it always takes out the one and only ASIC made of unobtanium in the device and never the generic parts. You got lucky!

Have been Chrismassed here now. Fucking smelly candles. Whoever invented them should be shot. They smell like a horse abattoir.

Like happen with nixiefreqq sometimes the HV gods have mercy on your dumb ass. Several years ago in my cock-eyed attempt to generate a 500VDC reference I zapped the input of the Tek 2465 DMM board. It took out dual FET Q5070A/B and I thought op-amp U4970. After considerable searching I found Q5070A/B but turns out U4970 was unobtanium. So I replaced just Q5070A/B and crossed my fingers. I got lucky, it fixed it.

"Abattoir" ?? Never heard that word before. Had to look it up. Slaughterhouse.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20578 on: December 04, 2018, 01:35:09 am »
Christmassed already!! not here I don't put the tree and decs up until a few days before Christmas and they come down on the 11th or 12th day after Christmas seeing as my youngest is 32, the magic has gone out of Christmas these days and they see it for what it really is, a huge commercial mugging. So now you know that I'm probably a bigger grumpier version of bd139, just never admitted it before.   :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20579 on: December 04, 2018, 01:39:23 am »
Christmassed already!! not here I don't put the tree and decs up until a few days before Christmas and they come down on the 11th or 12th day after Christmas seeing as my youngest is 32, the magic has gone out of Christmas these days and they see it for what it really is, a huge commercial mugging. So now you know that I'm probably a bigger grumpier version of bd139, just never admitted it before.   :-DD :-DD

HUMBUG!  :-DD :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #20580 on: December 04, 2018, 03:52:24 am »
A nice bit of TEA showed up today! HP 3325B synthesizer/function generator. Same seller I got the counters from a few weeks back. Not the fanciest function generator but it does what I need one to do, and it's in fantastic condition + calibrated.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20581 on: December 04, 2018, 03:54:31 am »
Oh yea - that's a big'un!  :box:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20582 on: December 04, 2018, 04:11:18 am »
And looks like new. Score! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20583 on: December 04, 2018, 04:12:13 am »
Yes, in fact, I put the second one on top of there this morning. Nice and stable.

You mean the readings or the meter.  :)

Both! :D

Good luck on the repairs.  :-+

Thanks, xrunner. :-/O
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #20584 on: December 04, 2018, 04:50:23 am »

Yeah! I'm happy. It has the OCXO option (option 001) too.  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20585 on: December 04, 2018, 07:30:16 am »

Yeah! I'm happy. It has the OCXO option (option 001) too.  :-+
Makes me wish I had more space, nice score you have there.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20586 on: December 04, 2018, 07:43:04 am »
Wish I had more space too. I had to decline an offer of a full height rack enclosure with free delivery yesterday :(

One thing I’ve been doing is looking for houses with a spare room with a concrete floor :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20587 on: December 04, 2018, 08:06:39 am »
Wish I had more space too. I had to decline an offer of a full height rack enclosure with free delivery yesterday :(

One thing I’ve been doing is looking for houses with a spare room with a concrete floor :-DD

How is the housing market in the UK? Seller's market or buyer's market? (High prices, shortage or low prices, flooded market)

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20588 on: December 04, 2018, 08:08:53 am »
Also, I seem to have luck regarding TM500 gear. A DC503, which is supposedly tested and refurbished and which sports a OCXO (Option 001) jumped into my lap for a laughable 40.-! This was quite unexpected, as the one going before did not have an OCXO, was not fully functional and yielded about as much! Yay!

Good luck with that DC503. 40 bucks with OCXO is really nice. Hopefully you'll never have to repair it - if it is like my DC505A. I vividly remember my repair, which was an absolute nightmare!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20589 on: December 04, 2018, 08:16:26 am »
Space: The Final Frontier. To Boldly create what no man has created and kept clear before  :-DD

No one wants to see what I did elsewhere to create visible floor and shoehorn a 1.4x1m CNC table into my shack over the last few days  :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20590 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:05 am »
A very interesting space....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20591 on: December 04, 2018, 08:21:11 am »

How is the housing market in the UK? Seller's market or buyer's market? (High prices, shortage or low prices, flooded market)

Awful. High prices, shortage, low mobility, very low interest rates with risk of them rising, and house prices stagnant verging on falling. However low approval rating for mortgages so there are very few buyers and the sellers want the moon on a stick. At mortgage is paid off, as much as I hate saying this, it’s the best time to take advantage of desperate downsizers.

Plan is to move out of the city, pocket half the house value in cash, invest it in a diverse portfolio of stock and futures, double the house size and live on that cash’s earnings (or the cash itself) until my mother drops dead then live on the proceeds from her house until I drop dead surrounded by a metric ton of Tektronix kit. Crappy retirement plan but it might work.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #20592 on: December 04, 2018, 08:44:03 am »
So now you know that I'm probably a bigger grumpier version of bd139, just never admitted it before.

The only possible response I can give is "I do not believe it". Yes, there is a cultural reference there, one that resonates with most people as they get older.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #20593 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:37 am »
No one wants to see what I did elsewhere to create visible floor and shoehorn a 1.4x1m CNC table into my shack over the last few days  :palm:

I suspect it will get more organised, if only to make it easier to clean up the dust the CNC will (probably) generate.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20594 on: December 04, 2018, 08:54:43 am »
I suspect it will get more organised, if only to make it easier to clean up the dust the CNC will (probably) generate.

To mix my corrupted TV show quotes 'I have a cunning plan tggzzz'

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20595 on: December 04, 2018, 09:17:39 am »
So now you know that I'm probably a bigger grumpier version of bd139, just never admitted it before.

The only possible response I can give is "I do not believe it". Yes, there is a cultural reference there, one that resonates with most people as they get older.

There’s no one grumpier than me. I just told someone to shove their baguette up their arse and it’s not even 09:30 here.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #20596 on: December 04, 2018, 09:18:21 am »

Awful. High prices, shortage, low mobility, very low interest rates with risk of them rising, and house prices stagnant verging on falling. However low approval rating for mortgages so there are very few buyers and the sellers want the moon on a stick. At mortgage is paid off, as much as I hate saying this, it’s the best time to take advantage of desperate downsizers.

Plan is to move out of the city, pocket half the house value in cash, invest it in a diverse portfolio of stock and futures, double the house size and live on that cash’s earnings (or the cash itself) until my mother drops dead then live on the proceeds from her house until I drop dead surrounded by a metric ton of Tektronix kit. Crappy retirement plan but it might work.

Problem is a "metric ton of Tektronix kit" is only 4 pieces ! HiHi
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20597 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:55 am »
Indeed  :-DD . Plan is 4 really good pieces: big 7104, big curve tracer, small pile of TM500 units and big spare 7603 to fix the 7104 with periodically.

(plus a few smaller bits "just in case" )

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20598 on: December 04, 2018, 09:40:26 am »

Morning grumpy, surely a imperial ton is far more than a metric ton  :box:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20599 on: December 04, 2018, 09:41:20 am »
A metric ton is less retarded though :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf