Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555880 times)

Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20600 on: December 04, 2018, 09:42:34 am »
Ouch, I guess I got a baguette up my arse then  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #20601 on: December 04, 2018, 09:42:48 am »
I suspect it will get more organised, if only to make it easier to clean up the dust the CNC will (probably) generate.

To mix my corrupted TV show quotes 'I have a cunning plan tggzzz'

:)

A neighbour of the local Hackspace has got (second) CNC machine. In order to avoid complaints about the noise from people on the other side of concrete floors, he has built a heavy enclosure to deaden the sound. It has the secondary advantage of protecting his ears.

Before building an enclosure, it might be worth assessing whether your machine will be too noisy, for any relevant definition of "too".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #20602 on: December 04, 2018, 09:47:52 am »
Morning grumpy, surely a imperial ton is far more than a metric ton  :box:

And it is also more than the "short ton"  used in the USA. Which is conclusive proof that we are more generous, or that we expect more :)

Both imperial and short tons are 20cwt. For reasons that I have never understood, our hundredweight contains 112lbs.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20603 on: December 04, 2018, 09:51:46 am »
Going for 17mm Formply and 6mm Acrylic. At this stage it is a plaything for occasional use but yep if it gets to be serious then other steps will be needed. for noise including time for commercial space again (trying to avoid).

I do have some plans to mill some CNC blanks in tooling plastics for R/C glider wings so multi hour cuts for them. Sorry Neighbour in advance >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20604 on: December 04, 2018, 10:18:29 am »
Indeed  :-DD . Plan is 4 really good pieces: big 7104, big curve tracer, small pile of TM500 units and big spare 7603 to fix the 7104 with periodically.

(plus a few smaller bits "just in case" )

Only a 7104? Why not go top banana with a 7904? My dream is to find a reasonably priced and fair condition 535A, 545A, or 547. I can then die and go to heaven.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20605 on: December 04, 2018, 10:24:37 am »
Morning grumpy, surely a imperial ton is far more than a metric ton  :box:

And it is also more than the "short ton"  used in the USA. Which is conclusive proof that we are more generous, or that we expect more :)

Both imperial and short tons are 20cwt. For reasons that I have never understood, our hundredweight contains 112lbs.

Never heard of a "ton" (2000 pounds = 1 ton) referred to as a "short ton". Other than a metric ton (1000 kg) never distinguished it from any other unit of weight.   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20606 on: December 04, 2018, 10:32:21 am »
Indeed  :-DD . Plan is 4 really good pieces: big 7104, big curve tracer, small pile of TM500 units and big spare 7603 to fix the 7104 with periodically.

(plus a few smaller bits "just in case" )

Only a 7104? Why not go top banana with a 7904? My dream is to find a reasonably priced and fair condition 535A, 545A, or 547. I can then die and go to heaven.  :-DD

Oops...my bad. The 7104 is 1Ghz, the 7904 is "only" 500Mhz. Agreed...stick with that.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20607 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:53 am »
I'd be happy with either to be honest.

I like the 7504 guts the best. Some pr0n: http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/tek/7504/detailedpictures.htm

7504 vertical amp is a good study on board design. That has to be one of the cleanest bits of design ever. Careful avoidance of stray capacitance everywhere hence the minimal ground plane. But not a problem because they designed the layout so that it wasn't an issue.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:53:32 am by bd139 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20608 on: December 04, 2018, 10:54:43 am »

Never heard of a "ton" (2000 pounds = 1 ton) referred to as a "short ton". Other than a metric ton (1000 kg) never distinguished it from any other unit of weight.

Oh you crazy Americans and your 'freedom units'  :-DD

I used to work with Farmers way back when some still talked in chains, rods and inch acres of water |O

Viva La Metric System I reckon.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20609 on: December 04, 2018, 11:03:24 am »

Oh you crazy Americans and your 'freedom units'  :-DD

I used to work with Farmers way back when some still talked in chains, rods and inch acres of water |O

Viva La Metric System I reckon.

Oh boo! I'll stick with my inches, feet, yards, miles, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc thank you very much!  :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20610 on: December 04, 2018, 11:04:05 am »
They still use chains and rods on the railways here  :palm:

New solution:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20611 on: December 04, 2018, 11:07:28 am »
Speaking of grouchy. Any you guys suffer from "road rage"? I do, big time.  :rant:  So much that the women says she doesn't know me when I'm behind the wheel. Like Jekyll and Hyde.   :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20612 on: December 04, 2018, 11:08:19 am »
They still use chains and rods on the railways here  :palm:

New solution:

There you go....the whole banana.  :-+ :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20613 on: December 04, 2018, 11:09:55 am »

I like the 7504 guts the best. Some pr0n: http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/tek/7504/detailedpictures.htm

7504 vertical amp is a good study on board design. That has to be one of the cleanest bits of design ever. Careful avoidance of stray capacitance everywhere hence the minimal ground plane. But not a problem because they designed the layout so that it wasn't an issue.

That is absolutely stunning. Never saw that before.  :-+

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20614 on: December 04, 2018, 11:49:38 am »

Truly amazing, especially for Tektronix. Until now my experience with their stuff has been that of terrible accessibility. This, however, seems to allow measurements while it is operating. ;)

Do I now also need a 7504? Naa. Space is a very finite commodity.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20615 on: December 04, 2018, 12:20:41 pm »
The 7504 was the first version of the Tektronix 7000 series. They lasted from about 1969 to 1973. Then the redesigned units took over.

I think there was a peak of electronic design around 1964 - 1974 period where people considered the mechanical engineering as well as electrical engineering. Before that it was all tubes. After that it was all shit until about 1994 at which point everything went to "FRU replacement" which was 1960s tech but not at component level any more.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #20616 on: December 04, 2018, 01:09:17 pm »
Yeah, that's why I've made it a habit to look for listings offering "Fast N Free" shipping. As long as it isn't more than a few dollars more, I'll go with the Fast N Free vendor. Usually, the folks who offer that also have top-notch feedback as well. Of course, I know I'm spoiled living in the middle of the US, and once I move to Toronto, that convenient shipping will vaporize... :o

mnem
Why is my car?
Are you trying to run away from chump  :-DD
*Solemn sigh*

No, more like trying to put as much distance as I can between myself and the disease that made Resident Chump possible. I really should've done it back when it was the Puppet-Shrub with Cheney's hand up his ass; I could see exactly where our raging corporatism was heading way back then. But I was stubborn and decided to fight the decay a little longer in hopes of saving the America I loved; I really believed it was still possible.

I think 40 years of "fighting the good fight" is enough; I'm looking for a small pocket of semi-sanity to raise my kids in, even if I have to freeze my keister off to get it. I'd much prefer Sweden or Finland, but no way in 'ell I could possibly make it happen. At least in Canada I wouldn't be ashamed if I were seen in public having dinner with the leader of the nation. :palm:

mnem
"In times of universal deceit, speaking the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20617 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:43 pm »
Don’t come to UK. We’re flushing ourselves down the same toilet. Iceland looks nice :). Well placed Orwell quote. One my my favourites.

Just got dispatch notification for my HV resistors. Fingers crossed this fixes the bastard!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20618 on: December 04, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »
Come to Australia we keep a revolving door of Prime Ministers dumped by their own parties in and out of charge. I think we have had 5 sitting Prime Ministers dumped while in charge (one of them twice) in about 10 years.  :palm:

Time to move to a country with stable government like Russia - Putin for life........

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20619 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:28 pm »
Ouch, I guess I got a baguette up my arse then  :-DD

Here, have some cream cheese and coffee widdat.  :-DD

mnem
The Breakfast of Champions
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20620 on: December 04, 2018, 01:51:36 pm »
:)

A neighbour of the local Hackspace has got (second) CNC machine. In order to avoid complaints about the noise from people on the other side of concrete floors, he has built a heavy enclosure to deaden the sound. It has the secondary advantage of protecting his ears.

Before building an enclosure, it might be worth assessing whether your machine will be too noisy, for any relevant definition of "too".

Yeah, especially if you plan on using a vacuum bed; that one extra blower seems to double the noise factor on every CNC router table I've ever run. Makes it ALMOST worth the assache of clamping the work down. ;)

Oh you crazy Americans and your 'freedom units'  :-DD  I used to work with Farmers way back when some still talked in chains, rods and inch acres of water |O   Viva La Metric System I reckon.
Oh boo! I'll stick with my inches, feet, yards, miles, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc thank you very much!  :-DD :-DD
That is something I don't relish about moving to Canada... trying to remember the difference in degrees. Aside from that though... not much of a problem; most of the stuff I actually work with is metric system anyways, due to coming from Asia.

Why is it that Asian-made sockets and wrenches in SAE sizes, which sell only to one benighted nation, ALWAYS come in complete sets... while the metric sets which the WHOLE WORLD (fuck you, Whitworth) USES, even the "good ones", always have several missing?  :wtf: It's not like you don't NEED those missing sizes; there's ALWAYS one of them you have to fight with,  :scared:  and it's getting now so you can't even buy the missing ones as singles, either...  :rant:

mnem
100 kliks ≠ 60 miles, just as 12" ≠ 13mm and 5/8" ≠ 16mm.  >:(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20621 on: December 04, 2018, 01:54:55 pm »
Sounds like you need a dose of Wera tools. They come with all of the metric socket sizes and you can get individual parts easily.

Edit: I've never managed to fuck up a Wera tool either (so far) unlike all other brands.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20622 on: December 04, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »
Don’t come to UK. We’re flushing ourselves down the same toilet. Iceland looks nice :). Well placed Orwell quote. One my my favourites.

Just got dispatch notification for my HV resistors. Fingers crossed this fixes the bastard!
Orwell was only wrong about the time-frame. He wrote 1984 as a cautionary tale; American business is using it as a plan for world domination.  :palm:

Good luck on the HV rebuild! I hope you don't need the flyback too like I did.  :-+
Come to Australia we keep a revolving door of Prime Ministers dumped by their own parties in and out of charge. I think we have had 5 sitting Prime Ministers dumped while in charge (one of them twice) in about 10 years.  :palm:

Time to move to a country with stable government like Russia - Putin for life........
Meh... Chump is just a pale copy; a "Putin Lite" wannabe. Problem is he's an imbecile in every aspect, while Putin is nothing if not shrewd and calculating. But Chump is every bit the sociopath Putin is, no doubt. I imagine that if I take long enough getting out, there will be little difference between the White House and The Kremlin anyways; Chump is a confirmed KGB asset after all.  :palm:

mnem
It's in the water.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20623 on: December 04, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »
Sounds like you need a dose of Wera tools. They come with all of the metric socket sizes and you can get individual parts easily.   Edit: I've never managed to fuck up a Wera tool either (so far) unlike all other brands.

WERA  skips sizes too, at least in the automotive-sized sets. I've started filling my work box with Tekton, as they have a whole "no skipped sizes" product line. No idea how long that will hold out though. You shouldn't have to spend several hundred dollars on a "Master Set" to get that; the whole "Master Set" concept is just marketing wank. Which would be semi-tolerable, I suppose... except you can't just go back and buy "the one you need right now", even at ridiculously inflated prices because they can't be arsed to stock individuals for warranty.

A SET THAT'S MISSING SIZES IS NOT A SET. PERIOD. If you don't know this, you need to get the fuck out of the tool business. FUCK OFF AND DIE.

Since Craftsman is now Horror Fraught tools sold at bLowes, I can't even get warranty on more than half of my existing tools, because they only sell these effed-up "sets". :palm: But Craftsman has been playing the "skipped sizes" game for decades too, which is why I STOPPED buying their big sets. Only the individual sets are complete anymore; and those only if you buy AT SEARS. While they still exist. For the next few months. At select locations. Until the holding company sells off the last few shreds.

mnem

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #20624 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:52 pm »
Yeah, that's why I've made it a habit to look for listings offering "Fast N Free" shipping. As long as it isn't more than a few dollars more, I'll go with the Fast N Free vendor. Usually, the folks who offer that also have top-notch feedback as well. Of course, I know I'm spoiled living in the middle of the US, and once I move to Toronto, that convenient shipping will vaporize... :o

mnem
Why is my car?
Are you trying to run away from chump  :-DD
*Solemn sigh*

No, more like trying to put as much distance as I can between myself and the disease that made Resident Chump possible. I really should've done it back when it was the Puppet-Shrub with Cheney's hand up his ass; I could see exactly where our raging corporatism was heading way back then. But I was stubborn and decided to fight the decay a little longer in hopes of saving the America I loved; I really believed it was still possible.

I think 40 years of "fighting the good fight" is enough; I'm looking for a small pocket of semi-sanity to raise my kids in, even if I have to freeze my keister off to get it. I'd much prefer Sweden or Finland, but no way in 'ell I could possibly make it happen. At least in Canada I wouldn't be ashamed if I were seen in public having dinner with the leader of the nation. :palm:

mnem
"In times of universal deceit, speaking the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

While I agree with you 100% (Chump is an egotistical ass) I have some Canadian friends who wouldn't be caught dead having dinner with pretty boy Canadian PM Justin Trudeau. 

No one else in here road rages behind the wheel? I'm the only one?  :o :-// I find that hard to believe.  >:D :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf