Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562158 times)

Wolfgang, Mortymore and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #20775 on: December 06, 2018, 06:57:20 pm »
I'm not seeing a down-side here.  :-+ Your workbench is working; what more could anybody want?

mnem
If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk signify?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:05:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #20776 on: December 06, 2018, 06:58:12 pm »
That thing is so nauseating ugly, there ought to be a burka for it.
precious item got covered, cheap and ugly dont have to...

well actually you have to pay to see it... thats why there's movement enforcing to remove it because... they want it for free...

why am i here? ???
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20777 on: December 06, 2018, 07:02:19 pm »
*Tool-Dwagon Heads-Up*

Kobalt 24V Drill/Driver Combo   Kobalt Saw/Drill/USB/Light Combo

Father's day last year, my wife got me this drill/driver kit for $129; I've been using it regularly and have to say quality is excellent, and reasonably priced batteries ($10-50 for 1.5-4.0AH 6-cell) on top of a 3 Year/5 Year warranty make this an amazing value for brushless power, even at current regular price of $179.

Well, they're at it again, with a slightly different kit for the same price through 1/31/19. I've been wibbling over their Circular Saw vs Sawzall for quite a while, however I have a corded Sawzall in new condition, so couldn't justify. But this saw has excellent reviews, and it is for sure something I can use; and this kit is at the same price as the saw alone. Wifey sez it'll be under the tree this year, so maybe I'll treat myself to the low-profile 1/2" impact since it's on sale as well...

mnem
*Tool-hound-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20778 on: December 06, 2018, 07:08:21 pm »
I'm not seeing a down-side here.  :-+ Your workbench is working; what more could anybody want?

mnem
If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, what does an empty desk signify?
That's precisely what I've been saying for years and right about now I'm beginning to believe it too  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20779 on: December 06, 2018, 07:15:20 pm »
The best cluttered desk ever...

https://youtu.be/-E_zUJ-SKRE

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20780 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:34 pm »
Someone posted Fluke 87V service manual with schematics here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/87v-schematics!/

Edit: whoever wrote the URL parser on this forum software is drunk or stupid.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20781 on: December 06, 2018, 09:32:33 pm »
Someone posted Fluke 87V service manual with schematics here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/87v-schematics!/

It surprises me that took so long.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20782 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:13 pm »

When I retired I purchased the car, which was my company car for 3 years and is now 5 years old and has never put a foot wrong, it is literally the best car I have ever owned and I love it, regardless of what others might think about it.  :-DD

Nooo, thats ok - as long as it doesn't come with that czech geezer in the fond.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20783 on: December 06, 2018, 10:18:13 pm »

It surprises me that took so long.
I have downloaded this and as I have a professional copy of Adobe Reader I have been able to merge them into a single file, if any wants a copy, please PM me with your email address and I'll ping a copy back you.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20784 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:59 pm »

When I retired I purchased the car, which was my company car for 3 years and is now 5 years old and has never put a foot wrong, it is literally the best car I have ever owned and I love it, regardless of what others might think about it.  :-DD

Nooo, thats ok - as long as it doesn't come with that czech geezer in the fond.
Hahaha, no he didn't come with, the geezer standing behind it drinking is my middle Son though  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20785 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:09 pm »
If you chaps think you have bad parking issues, you should try being me. I have only 1 car, my nextdoor neighbour has 2 vans and 2 cars, their neighbour has 2 cars, their neighbour has 2 cars and a van and their neighbour has 4 cars and 2 vans. I have lived in the street the longest and I have always parked my car outside of my  window so I can keep an eye on. I have a drive but it has been vandalised on it because it not overlooked by any windows. Between them, my neighbours think I have no right to park outside of my own house, especially the one with 4 cars and 2 vans, they instantly move one of theirs into my spot the moment I move out of it.

I leave my drive clear so that visiting friends and family can use it thus not cause any further parking problems for neighbours. When we moved in, we were told that every house has provision for upto 3 cars, those with a garage have a drive and the space outside their house, those without a garage, have a double parking bay in the front of their house where the garden would normally be and the 3rd car parks on the street across the 2 bays.

I think if you have more vehicles than you have parking space for, that they should seek alternative parking elsewhere for the extra vehicles, somewhere where they won't cause problems.  :rant:

In the sub division I live in, there is no real on street parking.  People visiting have to park part on the swale and part on the street.  With the stepdaughter/husband/granddaughter that live with us, we have 5 vehicles.  Thankfully, with the pad on the side of the house that the previous owner built, we can albeit uncomfortably, fix 6 vehicles.  We manage the Chinese fire drills just fine with the 5 that are here.

I'm not retired yet, but I purchased my retired company van last year.  Picture a dark blue Dodge Grand Caravan as a cargo van, it doesn't even look like a cargo van.  It was stupidly cheap and even Mrs GreyWoolfe is very happy about buying it.  Comes in very handy for trips to the home improvement store.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20786 on: December 06, 2018, 10:27:40 pm »
That thing is so nauseating ugly, there ought to be a burka for it.
precious item got covered, cheap and ugly dont have to...

I won't object to your position in general, but as long as it is LeCroy, I feel vindicated!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20787 on: December 06, 2018, 10:32:06 pm »
It's that time of the year ...

Before I started with that HV PSU project ....... turns my lab into a romantic Christmas lit tea room: ;D

SCNR
Come on, are you trying to hide the corona discharge by that?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20788 on: December 06, 2018, 10:49:26 pm »
I'm not retired yet, but I purchased my retired company van last year.  Picture a dark blue Dodge Grand Caravan as a cargo van, it doesn't even look like a cargo van.  It was stupidly cheap and even Mrs GreyWoolfe is very happy about buying it.  Comes in very handy for trips to the home improvement store.

One like this 2011 van? (I couldn't find a photo of a blue one  :palm:)

A few years ago I also purchased my companies old Ford Transit van, it had a seized clutch. A few hours of working on it soon freed that up, some sheets of 8x4 plywood I laid a new floor and sidewalls (insulated with fibreglass wadding) and also the roof. Moved the twin passenger seat back and fitted a single seat in its place and it also then became a family runabout for a while, very pleased with that purchase, like you say, handy for trips to the home improvement sheds etc.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 11:34:06 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #20789 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:58 am »
my neighbours think I have no right to park outside of my own house,

They are right, of course. They can even park in your drive: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/motoring/someone-parking-your-drive-not-1651153

My solution:

Installing lockable bollards would be just too pedestrian for my taste.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20790 on: December 07, 2018, 12:50:39 am »
my neighbours think I have no right to park outside of my own house,

They are right, of course. They can even park in your drive: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/motoring/someone-parking-your-drive-not-1651153

My solution:

Installing lockable bollards would be just too pedestrian for my taste.
I know that nobody has the sole right to the parking outside their house on the highway, BUT, there is such a thing as common courtesy and respect for one's neighbours who have lived there longer then they have and have always parked there, so they were well aware that the spot was in use when they moved in..grrr.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 12:55:01 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #20791 on: December 07, 2018, 01:13:41 am »
Wanna know why I'm a grouchy bastard? Here's why. I come home this morning and the kid from downstairs parks his car at an angle partly blocking my garage such that I can't put my car in.  :wtf:  Even with the "No Parking" sign. This is the 2nd time this has happen. There's gonna be a "come to Jesus" meeting this kid. And if he tells his Mother and she don't like it tough shit. There's plenty of parking else where except you may have to walk a few feet further. Too fucking bad.  :rant:   

Once, a friend of mine had an issue with a car that repeatedly parked in the wrong place. One day, he rectified it with a floor jack. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the owner's puzzlement on the relocation of his vehicle. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #20792 on: December 07, 2018, 01:24:14 am »
Once, a friend of mine had an issue with a car that repeatedly parked in the wrong place. One day, he rectified it with a floor jack. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the owner's puzzlement on the relocation of his vehicle. :-DD
I once heard about a student prank where the students moved the priciple's car across the car park. It turned out he wasn't very amused and moving a car over more than a handful of feet legally counts theft, so the students were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I've been trying to dig the story up but I seem to come up empty, so don't quote me on it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20793 on: December 07, 2018, 01:31:18 am »
A few years ago I also purchased my companies old Ford Transit van, it had a seized clutch. A few hours of working on it soon freed that up, some sheets of 8x4 plywood I laid a new floor and sidewalls (insulated with fibreglass wadding) and also the roof. Moved the twin passenger seat back and fitted a single seat in its place and it also then became a family runabout for a while, very pleased with that purchase, like you say, handy for trips to the home improvement sheds etc.
A good buddy bought a new Mk2 Transit in the early '80's and ran the 2L OHC 'industrial' motor till ~150km then transplanted a new 302 Windsor and C3 BW box into it with a custom 9" diff too. Some running boards, lake pipes and mag wheels finished the fit out. At a glance it looked almost stock.  :)
A little 4 brl Holley and LGP conversion and it ran cheaper than original. Moved it on at nearly 500,000km and all it really cost him was the ordinary consumables and a failed steering box just before he flicked it.
Shit it was a good truck and never struggled with anything ever he asked of it.
There's no substitute for cubes !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #20794 on: December 07, 2018, 01:33:06 am »
I once heard about a student prank where the students moved the priciple's car across the car park. It turned out he wasn't very amused and moving a car over more than a handful of feet legally counts theft, so the students were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I've been trying to dig the story up but I seem to come up empty, so don't quote me on it.
You could have all sorts of fun with unattended Mini's.....all that was needed was 4 guys, one on each corner.  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20795 on: December 07, 2018, 01:39:36 am »

Tame. Caulfield Institute of Tech students circa when I went to Uni disassembled a car took it up to the 4th floor in the lift then reassembled it  :-DD

In Australian style no charges were laid as I recall.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20796 on: December 07, 2018, 01:47:11 am »

...A few years ago I also purchased my companies old Ford Transit van, it had a seized clutch. A few hours of working on it soon freed that up, some sheets of 8x4 plywood I laid a new floor and sidewalls (insulated with fibreglass wadding) and also the roof. Moved the twin passenger seat back and fitted a single seat in its place and it also then became a family runabout for a while, very pleased with that purchase, like you say, handy for trips to the home improvement sheds etc.

Oh dang... that reminds me of the '64 Walleye Ford van I had as a teenager; it was pumpkin orange like the one above, only none of the adverts. Now there's a vehicle that was coyote-ugly; I got into the BEST trouble with that van...  :-DD

Yours is actually kinda cute... I'd totally drive that. But I'd have to paint it some actual color... I don't do white or black vehicles.

mnem
"Black cars are for people who have no imagination. White cars are just their reflection." ~ me

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20797 on: December 07, 2018, 01:50:40 am »
A good buddy bought a new Mk2 Transit in the early '80's and ran the 2L OHC 'industrial' motor till ~150km then transplanted a new 302 Windsor and C3 BW box into it with a custom 9" diff too. Some running boards, lake pipes and mag wheels finished the fit out. At a glance it looked almost stock.  :)
A little 4 brl Holley and LGP conversion and it ran cheaper than original. Moved it on at nearly 500,000km and all it really cost him was the ordinary consumables and a failed steering box just before he flicked it.
Shit it was a good truck and never struggled with anything ever he asked of it.
There's no substitute for cubes !
How true, at one time they were the villians choice of getaway car as they were so fast and powerful, my van would happily pull away in 3rd from standstill such was the torqiness of the engine. Had mine for a number of years and only parted with it when I get a company car.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20798 on: December 07, 2018, 02:02:06 am »

...A few years ago I also purchased my companies old Ford Transit van, it had a seized clutch. A few hours of working on it soon freed that up, some sheets of 8x4 plywood I laid a new floor and sidewalls (insulated with fibreglass wadding) and also the roof. Moved the twin passenger seat back and fitted a single seat in its place and it also then became a family runabout for a while, very pleased with that purchase, like you say, handy for trips to the home improvement sheds etc.

Oh dang... that reminds me of the '64 Walleye Ford van I had as a teenager; it was pumpkin orange like the one above, only none of the adverts. Now there's a vehicle that was coyote-ugly; I got into the BEST trouble with that van...  :-DD

Yours is actually kinda cute... I'd totally drive that. But I'd have to paint it some actual color... I don't do white or black vehicles.

mnem
"Black cars are for people who have no imagination. White cars are just their reflection." ~ me
That photo wasn't of my van but one of the type. Mine was supposed to be when I got it, white but I hand painted that sucker in cream as it was well rusty at the time, so after much fibreglass matting had been applied where required, new chassis members welded on where required, new brake pipes and shoes, it was time to repaint it and I chose to use some coach paint ( I was working at our local bus garage at the time and had become quite an expert at hand painting so it looked like a spray job) and by the time I had given the van a couple of coats it shone better than a new van would have. I loved driving that van, like you I too had some good times in it  ;) and because it was nearly always empty, it had excellent performance and in its time I left many unsuspecting boy racer standing at traffic lights, it was a sheer delight to see their faces drop when I left em for dead  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:04:07 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #20799 on: December 07, 2018, 02:05:27 am »
For those who haven't seen a real mans Ford Transit.

https://youtu.be/537FDgzGv2A
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf