Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14548826 times)

Peter_O, Ice-Tea and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21150 on: December 14, 2018, 04:48:57 pm »
Quote from: med6753
Today is the day.  :-+ Major bench renovation done and I'm very pleased with it. And here it is.....
      (SNIP)
All 8 feet (2.44 meters) of it. It more than doubles the work space and equipment is much more accessible. Plus room for expansion.  :-+ :-+

Sweet! It looks like you built it all together at the same time... like it belongs there. Well done!    :-+ :-+ :-+

Luxo LED Magnifier   All it needs now is one of these. I used to keep two of them on my bench, situated so I could set one over the other for microsoldering.

Before my eyes got so bad even that didn't work...  :palm:

I just find out that under the keyboard of my used Lenovo, they installed just 16BG RAM in just one stick. I was so sure they were 2x8GB 'cause dual channel hello? McFly? I already bought 2xGB sticks to get the 32GB I needed. Oh well I have to return those sticks and buy another 16GB RAM stick.

Ok, I have room for the 64GB in the future but how many times should we correct the junk of the previous moron? That's the life of us, Ebay used gear parasites.  :popcorn:

I could've toldja the same. It came that way from the factory; not some idiot user. Lenovo is made in the same factories as the RAM they put in it. Of course it's cheapest for them to buy one SODIMM vs 2 EVERY TIME.   :-+  EDIT: I've bought like a dozen off-lease Lenovo laptops recently, (3 for myself) and they ALL have a single SODIMM and an empty slot. Things change. Do your research before you buy. ;)

In other words, RTFM.  :-DD

DDR3 & up are all async by default per SPD anyways for DOS boxes (because at this level, they're STILL DOS boxes with MicroSuck's abysmal memory management), even if you populate both slots. Even if you set the RAM to sync mode manually you don't get any real improvement, as the RAM will self-config per the SPD tables so it runs slower to ensure stability.

The only way to get any real benefit from "Dual Channel" mode now in consumer hardware is to do the gamers' OCD memory tweaking schizz; then you have to beat on it for hours...sometimes days... to get the timing and voltage just right. Then, 6 months or a year later, it all blows up and you have to do it again because your timing is so tight and the actual latency or refresh needs drifts as the RAM ages.  :palm:

Ay yeah it was really close - New Jersey so not far from JFK at all. Need to get myself out there one day for a few days - it's on the bucket list :)

Edit: the stupid bit is I actually live close enough to the Heathrow approach that you can see the half frozen people clinging onto the landing gear as the planes fly over my house. But it'll take 5 days for it to get from Heathrow to here and probably go via some warehouse 200 miles away.  :palm:

Edit 2: so I hit Google maps and drop the pin randomly in NJ then hit street view and what do I land on? Someone letting their dog piss up a mail box :palm:

Yes, that's where they put the people who sign up for "stand-by" seating.
They used to call it "Steerage", but since the Titanic and Lusitania, that class ticket has bad mojo.  :o
  :-DD

Dude... I routinely have packages take a day or two to get to CA or NY from Asia... then ~2 weeks to make it to the middle of the country.  |O

I think now that since Chump/McTurtle/Lyin-Ryan have slashed the USPS budget yet again, the ePacket service that WE created to serve US businesses doing R&D with China-made components has now become not only not a priority, but is "officially unofficially" relegated to "Last-Class" or "No-Class" service where if there's NOTHING ELSE to stuff in a hole in the container, even balled-up garbage, THEN it gets to go to the next stop. But not a single second quicker.

Because you know... the Chinese. Never mind that they STILL hold half the debt we carry in our endless war for oil... lets fuck our own people because it LOOKS like we're getting back at them for some imagined affront, when it was OUR coprolite overlords who moved all our jobs over there where slavery is still legal.  ::)

*Slaps own wrist* "Naughty politico-dwagon... naughty..."

Re: the photo/EDIT2... is it my imagination, or did Guurgle blur the woman's thigh/almost a buttcheek, yet completely ignore the doody-bombing mutt-butt?

They have effing algorithms for this shit, but not for someone/something actually taking a shit? SERIOUSLY?

mnem

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:05:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21151 on: December 14, 2018, 05:21:00 pm »
Are you fucking kidding me?  :o  You have NEW JERSEY on your bucket list?  |O  You need to change your bucket list. As you found out you landed on a dog pissing on a mailbox. That about sums up New Jersey.  :-DD

I was referring vaguely to that part of the world within a couple of hundred miles, not specifically NJ :)

Re: the photo/EDIT2... is it my imagination, or did Guurgle blur the woman's thigh/almost a buttcheek, yet completely ignore the doody-bombing mutt-butt?

They have effing algorithms for this shit, but not for someone/something actually taking a shit? SERIOUSLY?

Actually I worked with a computer vision expert a couple of years back and he explained to me how all the stuff works and it's actually completely lame and devoid of any magic at all. His job at the time was detecting nudity being uploaded. The training corpus was hilarious as there were two folders of a couple of hundreds images each. One full of naked people. One full of peaches, kiwi fruits, ships (apparently sexy looking ships set off nudity detectors!), animals and japanese robots. He gave me a run down on Python and OpenCV and I used it to write a Christmas tree light counter. Was great fun  :-+

The funny thing about this is Bumblebee showed up in the "not nudity folder"  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21152 on: December 14, 2018, 05:29:42 pm »
Are you fucking kidding me?  :o  You have NEW JERSEY on your bucket list?  |O  You need to change your bucket list. As you found out you landed on a dog pissing on a mailbox. That about sums up New Jersey.  :-DD

I was referring vaguely to that part of the world within a couple of hundred miles, not specifically NJ :)

That's better. When in NYC, head north. My neck of the woods. Hudson Valley, beautiful scenery.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #21153 on: December 14, 2018, 05:44:38 pm »
The training corpus was hilarious as there were two folders of a couple of hundreds images each. One full of naked people. One full of peaches, kiwi fruits, ships (apparently sexy looking ships set off nudity detectors!), animals and japanese robots.

As the daemon inside the camera in the first Discworld novel exclaimed, "I can't make any more photos; I've run out of pink".

What about sexy looking gliders? Some of those are distinctly feminine/phallic, depending on your proclivities.

And never forget https://www.labsix.org/physical-objects-that-fool-neural-nets/

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21154 on: December 14, 2018, 06:05:54 pm »
Those are classifiers you have to train. Some of the results are hilarious. Google have a public version up here of one you can play with: https://quickdraw.withgoogle.com

The ones we were dealing with were algorithmic and far less exciting :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21155 on: December 14, 2018, 06:09:42 pm »
That tell's me that AI for the near future is still a pipe dream.  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21156 on: December 14, 2018, 06:15:14 pm »
There is no true AI yet. It's all a lie. If it does appear, we are all universally and totally fucked.

However that might just be our legacy. Might reach the stars with without our fragile little meat sacks.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21157 on: December 14, 2018, 06:18:03 pm »
Quote from: med6753
Today is the day.  :-+ Major bench renovation done and I'm very pleased with it. And here it is.....
      (SNIP)
All 8 feet (2.44 meters) of it. It more than doubles the work space and equipment is much more accessible. Plus room for expansion.  :-+ :-+

Sweet! It looks like you built it all together at the same time... like it belongs there. Well done!    :-+ :-+ :-+

Luxo LED Magnifier   All it needs now is one of these. I used to keep two of them on my bench, situated so I could set one over the other for microsoldering.

mnem

It certainly would be convenient but not at $130 USD a pop. No way. I have some hand magnifiers that work well. I do need some additional lighting on the new bench especially in the far corner. I plan on getting similar to what's on the old bench. Very happy with them.

It looks like it was all built at the same time because it's identical materials. #2 pine. Stain is Minwax #230 Early American. And poly is Minwax semi-gloss.   

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21158 on: December 14, 2018, 06:33:48 pm »

WTF!!  You New Yorkers are always dissing us Jerseyites.  Oh wait, you're in the Hudson Valley.  That's not NY, that's a suburb of Canada! :-DD  Fuggeddaboudit!

--Jersey Boy, loud and proud.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #21159 on: December 14, 2018, 06:34:28 pm »
TEA days are good days. I acquired a Tek TLA 715 mainframe with 2 x TLA 7N4 modules and two probe cables. The seller upgraded it to Windows XP Professional and maxed out system RAM.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21160 on: December 14, 2018, 06:37:56 pm »

WTF!!  You New Yorkers are always dissing us Jerseyites.  Oh wait, you're in the Hudson Valley.  That's not NY, that's a suburb of Canada! :-DD  Fuggeddaboudit!

--Jersey Boy, loud and proud.

Eh???  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21161 on: December 14, 2018, 07:00:06 pm »

mnem

It certainly would be convenient but not at $130 USD a pop. No way. I have some hand magnifiers that work well. I do need some additional lighting on the new bench especially in the far corner. I plan on getting similar to what's on the old bench. Very happy with them.

It looks like it was all built at the same time because it's identical materials. #2 pine. Stain is Minwax #230 Early American. And poly is Minwax semi-gloss.

That was meant as a compliment. ;)

As for the swingarm magnifier... I've had several of the cheap ones, but I've NEVER regretted the money spent on Luxo. I have one prehistoric one, freestanding, that came from a doctor's office. It has a 24" cast iron domed disc for a base. EVERYTHING is metal; the light frame is cast aluminum. It dates back to the '60s; is probably older than I am and all the joints still work perfectly. And Luxo spends the money on decent lenses; 3x magnification is worthless if it's all shimmery and you can't see the subject clearly.

Once you own a Luxo, you'll understand. It's like using Hakko and Hakko clones all your life and then owning a MetCal. You realize quickly that you've deprived yourself for no good reason.  :palm:

I've been thinking about the one I linked for several months, since I knocked the lens out of my big freestanding beast the last time I moved (Ham-fisted) and it knocked a corner off. I also have the Circlite model made before that, but the ballast is gone weak and I'm considering modding for LED. On the other hand, that one MADE for LED is really ni-i-i-ice...

When it comes to seeing what you're working on, that's an area I don't skimp on. I have several good old magnifying visors I still use as well; sometimes with the magnifier light.

In Other News...

Currently on the bench...      Next up in the repair que...   

mnem
I'm gonna leave milk and cookies for Santa on it!  >:D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:02:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21162 on: December 14, 2018, 07:16:50 pm »
Ay yeah it was really close - New Jersey so not far from JFK at all. Need to get myself out there one day for a few days - it's on the bucket list :)

Edit: the stupid bit is I actually live close enough to the Heathrow approach that you can see the half frozen people clinging onto the landing gear as the planes fly over my house. But it'll take 5 days for it to get from Heathrow to here and probably go via some warehouse 200 miles away.  :palm:

Edit 2: so I hit Google maps and drop the pin randomly in NJ then hit street view and what do I land on? Someone letting their dog piss up a mail box  :palm:

That dog is shitting not pissing, hey you kids, take your dad to Specsavers and get him some new glasses for Christmas  :-DD :-DD

Edit.
I think that Google have blurred the ladies thighs because of the house name or number that is written on the white post to her right. Why the hell do they do that, the information is out there in the public domain anyway???? :wtf:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:22:21 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21163 on: December 14, 2018, 07:31:08 pm »

I'm gonna leave milk and cookies for Santa on it!  >:D
What, no carrot for the poor reindeers  :palm: How are they going to keep up their stamina to reach the rest of us if nobody leaves them a carrot or two  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21164 on: December 14, 2018, 07:37:55 pm »

Edit 2: so I hit Google maps and drop the pin randomly in NJ then hit street view and what do I land on? Someone letting their dog piss up a mail box  :palm:

That dog is shitting not pissing, hey you kids, take your dad to Specsavers and get him some new glasses for Christmas  :-DD :-DD

Edit.
I think that Google have blurred the ladies thighs because of the house name or number that is written on the white post to her right. Why the hell do they do that, the information is out there in the public domain anyway???? :wtf:

All the more reason to stay out of Jersey, especially North Jersey. Because between the mud flats in the Meadow Lands and the chemical plants that's exactly what it smells like....shit.  :-DD  And GreyWolfe can say all he wants...he knows it's true.  >:D ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:39:34 pm by med6753 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21165 on: December 14, 2018, 07:38:15 pm »

Edit.

Actually went to specsavers on Monday. My vision is the only thing that is 20/20 on me still  :-DD

They blur the street numbers so people don’t scrape them to get valuable address location data.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21166 on: December 14, 2018, 07:44:50 pm »

Edit.

Actually went to specsavers on Monday. My vision is the only thing that is 20/20 on me still  :-DD

They blur the street numbers so people don’t scrape them to get valuable address location data.
Hmm 20/20 you say, well it clearly failed on this occasion  :-DD

I still don't understand why Google blur the street numbers on Google Earth but not on Google maps  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21167 on: December 14, 2018, 07:50:58 pm »
It’s the brain that failed on that one. That’s definitely not 20/20  :-DD

Don’t ever assume google are competent or consistent.

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21168 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:56 pm »
Another cheer for Luxo. Yes, they cost a lot, but hang out around junk sales for long enough and you'll find one at a good price. Medical or hospital suppliers are a good source - I just got one with a floor-stand for under £20 (and then had to drive 70 miles to collect it from an obscure care home in Norfolk). I've also had a brand new one from a guy that sells various surplus things - it was £50 iirc.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21169 on: December 14, 2018, 08:23:50 pm »

Edit.

Quote from: mnementh

mnem

You're a little late to that party... but hey, the more the merrier. This is some GOOD shit...  :-DD

If it was going to blur for numbers, it SHOULD have blurred the post. Looks to me like a fail trifecta... Yes, blur the "not even really a buttcheek", no not the doody-bombing dog, no not the actual street address where this woman is abusing her neighbors...   :palm:

mnem

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21170 on: December 14, 2018, 10:04:45 pm »
I could've toldja the same....

Do managers and money always win against EE good common sense? It's a sad world.

So you are telling my that Lenovo is stuffing a single gskill F4-2400C16S-16GRS in their P51 kick ass workstations? Interesting. Regarding the configuration the Lenovo community tells to populate both channel (10-15% speed increase)  :-// I will test and find out when the 16GB stick comes.

in order to optimize memory performance so that it operates in "dual channel" mode, you need to have matched pairs of memory sticks installed.  If you have just one stick of the required pair your memory will operate in the less-than-optimal "single channel" mode

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Memory-configuration-for-P51/td-p/3773472

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/ThinkPad-P51-RAM-question-regarding-RAM-slots/m-p/3768001

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Do-I-need-to-install-RAM-in-pairs/m-p/3417561#M62410
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:07:19 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21171 on: December 14, 2018, 10:54:26 pm »
Just looked at the P51 spec sheet. How the flip does that thing last more than 2 minutes on a battery?!?

Talking of pooter stuff, this is not bad for a high end consumer machine! I am super happy with this glorious bastard. The SSD is basically persistent L4 cache :D

Edit: I actually have no spinning rust disks in the house now. NAS went yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:00:29 pm by bd139 »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #21172 on: December 14, 2018, 11:23:19 pm »
All the more reason to stay out of Jersey, especially North Jersey. Because between the mud flats in the Meadow Lands and the chemical plants that's exactly what it smells like....shit.  :-DD  And GreyWolfe can say all he wants...he knows it's true.  >:D ;D

And the Hudson Bay and 42nd street in the city smell like a rose garden? >:D >:D  You fail to mention the Pine Barrens and all the beauty on Rt 80 heading toward Pennsylvania.  Our states both have pluses and minuses.  We can go back and forth all day. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #21173 on: December 14, 2018, 11:37:54 pm »
Just looked at the P51 spec sheet. How the flip does that thing last more than 2 minutes on a battery?!?

The battery is there so you can safely unplugged it and run to the next wall socket without turning it off...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #21174 on: December 14, 2018, 11:42:18 pm »
The input line filter came in for the hp 8904A Multifunction Synthesizer. The original Schaffner part is not available now.

The old and new parts are -

Old: Schaffner FN 326B-3/01 (3 Amp)

New: CorCom 6EF2F (6 Amp)

Anyway, pretty straightforward to replace. I chose to pull the power supply board to make the job easier. Everything fit perfectly and no issues encountered.

Will post a square wave comparison to modern day equipment in a little while ... for your enjoyment  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf