Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786903 times)

BrianInTexas, Robert763, wkb and 242 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22600 on: January 13, 2019, 04:30:33 am »
Providing they continue to allow exporting is a few different formats like IGES or the others and local saving risks are minimal. Very worst case might be you have to stump up for a months paid subscription to get your files but the backlash from that sort of change would be epic.

For those of us learning Fusion watching some content from Lars is well worth it. Doing battle with the new interface at present (I think I like it) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo29kn3d9ziFUZGZ50VKvWA
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22601 on: January 13, 2019, 05:43:35 am »
FDM was actually developed and commercially marketed quite a long time ago. The patent expired, after which it became fair game for tinkerers and hobbyists. The same is now happening with SLA, although that one turns out to be a bit harder to crack and there doesn't seem to be a coordinated effort to improve the technology like there was with FDM in the form of Reprap.

FDM is never going to have a finish as good as some of the alternatives, but it's relative simplicity and useful printing materials will probably make it a popular choice for a while to come. It's really amazing what you can do with it, although some people fall into the trap of applying it to every problem whether it's a suitable solution or not. I'm glad the days of people printing endless amounts of useless trinkets seem to be passed and people are more and more using their printers for more useful prints.

What was developed commercially was so far from what we call FDM now as to be a completely different product. Numerous products, all suffering from the "SONY trying to own it" disease, each entirely devised as closed ecosystem. All different idiotic mechanisms to try and make 3DPrinting work like conventional printing where you had to buy your supplies from the printer manufacturer, only this time lock out the cartridge cloners for good.

Shocking that nobody could make it commercially viable with the same "consumable supplies that cost more by weight than gold" business model as inkjet printing.  :-DD  FDM as we know it using off-the-shelf actuators, global-standardized filament sizes and formulas and platform-independent generic controllers was entirely devised by the hobbyist market.

What we really need now is a tertiary product that can directly print molds for metal-casting. I've already done lost PLA at my local Hackspace; while it is theoretically "amateur-able", there really needs to be something more straightforward and single-step to a usable mold, and so things like proper sprue and vent sizing/location can be part of the prep software and safe defaults preprogrammed.

Would be a total game-changer, even if you could only get down to like .4mm layer height, with something the size of a Tornado you could do real, usable machinable castings in a usable framework of time & assache. Many applications could STILL be usable roughcast.  We have small, cheap inductive kilns that can do a couple pints of non-ferrous metals on a benchtop already.

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22602 on: January 13, 2019, 05:50:16 am »

mnem
* Calibration long out of date *

see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/ptb-at-the-maker-faire-in-hannover/msg1267015/#msg1267015

Henrik will do that  :)
We are also this year side by side in the makerfaire Hannover, my Wellenkino Team with Oldies, and the PTB with calibration for DMM

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22603 on: January 13, 2019, 05:56:14 am »
Do they really have the proper fixtures to calibrate a tinkerdwagon? Would be worth the airfare if they did, for sure...  :-DD

mnem
 \$\Omega\$
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22604 on: January 13, 2019, 06:05:36 am »
What was developed commercially was so far from what we call FDM now as to be a completely different product. Numerous products, all suffering from the "SONY trying to own it" disease, each entirely devised as closed ecosystem. All different idiotic mechanisms to try and make 3DPrinting work like conventional printing where you had to buy your supplies from the printer manufacturer, only this time lock out the cartridge cloners for good.

Shocking that nobody could make it commercially viable with the same "consumable supplies that cost more by weight than gold" business model as inkjet printing.  :-DD  FDM as we know it using off-the-shelf actuators, global-standardized filament sizes and formulas and platform-independent generic controllers was entirely devised by the hobbyist market.

What we really need now is a tertiary product that can directly print molds for metal-casting. I've already done lost PLA at my local Hackspace; while it is theoretically "amateur-able", there really needs to be something more straightforward and single-step to a usable mold, and so things like proper sprue and vent sizing/location can be part of the prep software and safe defaults preprogrammed.

Would be a total game-changer, even if you could only get down to like .4mm layer height, with something the size of a Tornado you could do real, usable machinable castings in a usable framework of time & assache. Many applications could STILL be usable roughcast.  We have small, cheap inductive kilns that can do a couple pints of non-ferrous metals on a benchtop already.

mnem
ZZZzzzZZZzzz...
Stratasys owned and exploited the patent. They still sell FDM printers today, so it seems to have earned them enough money to keep the technology on board. How about something like the link below for casting? I think that more than one manufacturer is doing something similar.

https://www.machinablewax.com/product.php?product=52

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22605 on: January 13, 2019, 06:10:21 am »
https://maker-faire.de/hannover/

17-18 AUG 2019...I will book my tickets now.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22606 on: January 13, 2019, 06:17:46 am »
Some of the Resin based metal castings I have seen done are amazing but I still don't want the suffering of a Resin Printer ;) Investment or Jewelry grade results.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #22607 on: January 13, 2019, 06:43:40 am »
Providing they continue to allow exporting is a few different formats like IGES or the others and local saving risks are minimal. Very worst case might be you have to stump up for a months paid subscription to get your files but the backlash from that sort of change would be epic.

For those of us learning Fusion watching some content from Lars is well worth it. Doing battle with the new interface at present (I think I like it) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo29kn3d9ziFUZGZ50VKvWA
Thanks for the YouTube links, Robert
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22608 on: January 13, 2019, 07:01:57 am »
Anyone want to buy my HP/Yokagawa 4440B Decade Capacitor you can have mine posted worldwide for $749 USD ::) eBay auction: #223077196689

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22609 on: January 13, 2019, 07:09:26 am »

Leave to the technology savvy Germans to have such an interesting gathering and "Faire". Wish we would have something like that on this side of the pond. Instead we have stupid stuff like "comic-con" and "Ren Faire"  :palm: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22610 on: January 13, 2019, 08:08:22 am »
but you have read that:
*) if our neighbours from Wellenkino don't trigger the fuse  ::)

.. there are sometimes little problems,
 when I start a 1kW classic Tek the calibration of multimeters will be dark to drink a  coffee 8)
2018 we give the strong order to put there a high power plug for us, for glowing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:12:59 am by Martin.M »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22611 on: January 13, 2019, 09:14:42 am »
For no apparent reason other than having a spare mo, I clicked on Martin.M's website link and he has a forum !  :clap:
Lots of pics and links too......that's the only bits I can understand as the rest is all in German.  :(
Google Translate time.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22612 on: January 13, 2019, 09:19:08 am »

I use the cheap commercial additive printing companies for that kind of thing.

I've even got a finished, shiny, brass piece back from them (I couldn't afford gold, silver or platinum :) ).  That lost wax printing technology is used in the jewellery industry.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22613 on: January 13, 2019, 09:28:22 am »
People being so willingly locked into cloud type environments is a worrying development.

History rhymes: there was a precursor to the cloud...

Those of us with a long memory remember (remote) timesharing environments, single vendor machines and programming by the priesthood.

A major reason for the rapid rise of the IBM PC ecosystem is that users were able to prise their data out of the hands of the vendors and control it themselves.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22614 on: January 13, 2019, 09:41:18 am »
For no apparent reason other than having a spare mo, I clicked on Martin.M's website link and he has a forum !  :clap:
Lots of pics and links too......that's the only bits I can understand as the rest is all in German.  :(

Where's the link?  :-//

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22615 on: January 13, 2019, 09:46:52 am »

The blue globe in some members profiles......their websites.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22616 on: January 13, 2019, 09:51:22 am »

The blue globe in some members profiles......their websites.

Got it. Yep, time for Google translate.  ;D

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22617 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:02 am »

Those of us with a long memory remember (remote) timesharing environments, single vendor machines and programming by the priesthood.

A major reason for the rapid rise of the IBM PC ecosystem is that users were able to prise their data out of the hands of the vendors and control it themselves.
IT is recycling cold poop in 5 year or even shorter cycles, often with new buzzwords attached nobody really knows or dares asking the meaning of. There's no way people are going to remember lessons from the computer equivalent of the Rhyacian Period.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22618 on: January 13, 2019, 09:58:48 am »
6 1/2 ?  :o
I have to look for the next Fluke

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22619 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:42 am »

IT is recycling cold poop in 5 year or even shorter cycles, often with new buzzwords attached nobody really knows or dares asking the meaning of. There's no way people are going to remember lessons from the computer equivalent of the Rhyacian Period.

There's too much truth in that.

Over here there's decent radio programme, "The Long View", which takes a contemporary issue and compares and contrasts it with a historical analogue. Examples:
  • railway safety in 1830 vs driverless cars
  • Saudi price vs the Pope
  • Facebook revelations vs the Reformation
  • Uber vs London's watermen
  • targeted fake news
  • Brexit vs Elizabethan free trade (Lizzie the first, that is)
Podcasts available at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006s7d6/episodes/guide

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22620 on: January 13, 2019, 12:57:24 pm »
Just as a note on the cloud. The competent elite in the IT sector refuse to use it and keep all their files in platform neutral formats. That’s always a sign of things that will come in the future.

I will use the cloud myself but IaaS and open source only because that’s where the cost benefit is. If you lock yourself into an API it’s game over.

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22621 on: January 13, 2019, 01:36:34 pm »

Leave to the technology savvy Germans to have such an interesting gathering and "Faire". Wish we would have something like that on this side of the pond. Instead we have stupid stuff like "comic-con" and "Ren Faire"  :palm:

Burning man  ?   :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22622 on: January 13, 2019, 01:46:09 pm »

Burning man  ?   :)

Yep, that too.  :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22623 on: January 13, 2019, 02:03:03 pm »
Hey at least you lot don’t roll cheese down hills and try and chase it...

https://youtu.be/6fora0TmtnU

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22624 on: January 13, 2019, 02:11:00 pm »
 :wtf:  :-DD   Doesn't anyone get seriously hurt doing that? I don't see any ambulances standing by.  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf