Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14891454 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22775 on: January 15, 2019, 09:00:35 am »
I currently have ZERO items inbound from all sources as of this morning :o My only deliveries for the next few weeks will be nasty clear fronted envelopes I suspect |O
I'm not quite as bad, I still have some USB plugs on their way from China in order to modify loads of battery operated Christmas lights to run off phone chargers. Already nabbed a few of those chargers with 6 ports on them, grab a few more soon. Got my eye on a few eBay items at present but nothing directly TEA related  :-- but I'm coiled like a spring waiting for the right thing to come along and then I'll be all over it like a rash  :-DD

As for those nasty clear fronted envelopes, I know that I to have more than my fair share of those on their way to me, always just after bleeding Christmas  :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22776 on: January 15, 2019, 09:28:04 am »
Got tonnes of stuff waiting to turn up here. Two OCXOs, 18650 pack parts, laptop batteries, laptop screen, soldering sponges, shucko adapters, desolder braid, clothes, books, storage boxes, groceries  :-DD

Only thing TEA related is the OCXOs :( ... in time we shall see.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #22777 on: January 15, 2019, 09:37:19 am »
I have hit it fairly hard in the last month so a break won't hurt while I learn to play with the toys I guess. Maybe I will even 'build something'  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22778 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:31 am »
Jameco order arrived yesterday. Mouser order should be today. The Fluke 8810A Ebay win not sure yet. It's coming from Texas and tentative date of next Tuesday but I think it will be sooner than that.

Edit...today visiting a friend who has for me an older Dell tower that I will use for manuals/schematics on the bench. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:42:19 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22779 on: January 15, 2019, 09:45:47 am »
Even so it was still rather expensive considering it was within spec, they only checked the ranges, never had to adjust anything  :o

The alternative could be that you paid to ship it there and back, only to find you couldn't afford their quote :(

Peace of mind is never cheap, just look at any insurance policy.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22780 on: January 15, 2019, 09:46:41 am »
Got tonnes of stuff waiting to turn up here. Two OCXOs, 18650 pack parts, laptop batteries, laptop screen, soldering sponges, shucko adapters, desolder braid, clothes, books, storage boxes, groceries  :-DD

Looks as if throwing the shackles of a SWMBO off has been good for you, plenty to get your teeth sunk into there for a while.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22781 on: January 15, 2019, 09:49:42 am »
Even so it was still rather expensive considering it was within spec, they only checked the ranges, never had to adjust anything  :o

The alternative could be that you paid to ship it there and back, only to find you couldn't afford their quote :(

Not quite the same as an insurance policy though because you can rely on the calibration, watch an insurance company try to find a way of wriggling out of settling a claim  :popcorn: 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22782 on: January 15, 2019, 09:50:57 am »

Looks as if throwing the shackles of a SWMBO off has been good for you, plenty to get your teeth sunk into there for a while.

I've got to "cool it" for a while. First unemployment check isn't until next week. And got a letter from Social Security stating that my first retirement check won't be until February 27. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22783 on: January 15, 2019, 09:56:12 am »

Not quite the same as an insurance policy though because you can rely on the calibration, watch an insurance company try to find a way of wriggling out of settling a claim  :popcorn:

I had one try and fail to do that back in 1985. Perhaps my "typeset" letter courtesy of a Mac helped persuade them I wasn't going to put up with their rubbish.

More recently and worryingly, I had to make a medical claim before treatment on a Jan 1st. The settlement company didn't have the details from the sales company (AA insurance, no less), and couldn't get them because it was a bank holiday. Fortunately my credit card was sufficient.

On principal and to save time, I always look at the full exclusion clauses in the Ts&Cs before I look at what is covered.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22784 on: January 15, 2019, 10:37:10 am »

My Inbound List currently contains one of @RoadRunner's LM399 boards waiting to be shipped (will be part of a transfer standard), and an Agilent E4418B + 8482A power sensor, seemingly on an epic road trip across the USA on Interstate 80. Will it go all the way to New York NY? I'm all agog!
 ;)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #22785 on: January 15, 2019, 10:48:06 am »

My Inbound List currently contains one of @RoadRunner's LM399 boards waiting to be shipped (will be part of a transfer standard), and an Agilent E4418B + 8482A power sensor, seemingly on an epic road trip across the USA on Interstate 80. Will it go all the way to New York NY? I'm all agog!
 ;)

If it is on evilbay Global Shipping your heading for Erlanger for a few days stop over. One of my Tweezers sat for 5 days going no where  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22786 on: January 15, 2019, 10:50:37 am »
 ;)

Oooh. I was considering one of those LM399 boards but decided I need to be a time nut more than a volt nut seeing as I like playing around with radios. I'm getting rather obsessive about drift on WSPR.

She's still around. Just I run the show without room for negotiation now.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22787 on: January 15, 2019, 11:20:36 am »
 ;)

Oooh. I was considering one of those LM399 boards but decided I need to be a time nut more than a volt nut seeing as I like playing around with radios. I'm getting rather obsessive about drift on WSPR.

She's still around. Just I run the show without room for negotiation now.

Sounds like the ideal arrangement you made there, boss  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #22788 on: January 15, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
A moron sold .... and I bought. Netted a ACDC Electronics EL-300N yesterday night.
Quite cheap, because 'no output from this power supply'!

Always so satisfying.

Where does the 'N' on the model number come from? Does it actually say EL-300N on the front, or just EL-300 ?
Because when I search for EL-300N, all the pics that come up seem to be of EL-300 units. Same as the one I have. See pic.

And this is relevant to you (if you don't have a manual) because I scanned the EL-300 and EL-301 manuals I have.
  http://everist.org/archives/scans/acdc_electronics/
In RAR-book form, not PDF. The result is much better, just an extra step to unpack them.

Rather disappointingly, my EL-300s are 120VAC mains, and can't easily be converted to 240VAC.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:53:25 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22789 on: January 15, 2019, 04:20:18 pm »
Interesting stuff. I found your notes on the vector graphics used in Asteroids quite interesting.  :-+

Why don't you like .pdf? Most of the problems people have with it have nothing to do with the format; it's well-developed and there are a number of 3rd-party apps that aren't near as much of a PITA to use. The major problems Adobe has with it revolve around trying to maintain security on a product they wanted to abandon a decade ago.  :palm:

Why so hard to convert to 240V? These should draw very little current; you should be able to power all 4 from a travel-size step-up transformer. Since you have them all in a rack-mount bay already, that solution seems exquisitely simple, at least to me.

mnem
   *Slurrrp*   Ifni bless the coffee devils...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:25:45 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22790 on: January 15, 2019, 06:17:19 pm »

Thanks, trying to sort out what I may need to budget for to get one calibrated if I buy one out of Cal.

Vintage Rescue in Adelaide needed @VK5RC  ;) eBay auction: #113549308699

I have one of these units as well, I will power it up and see if it is functional and calibrated.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22791 on: January 15, 2019, 06:52:28 pm »
We have a analyzer day  ^-^

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, bd139, 0culus

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22792 on: January 15, 2019, 07:53:12 pm »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #22793 on: January 15, 2019, 07:56:19 pm »

Oooo, that is beautiful. What year?

I may be closing in an a nice 8568B example myself.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22794 on: January 15, 2019, 08:07:09 pm »

Ok, I'll play!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22795 on: January 15, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »
Here's neoBracket V8-V9; looking a lot better. I think I'm going to declare success at this point and move on with my life.  :-DD

mnem
*Off to pick up the kiddles*
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:38:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22796 on: January 15, 2019, 08:48:20 pm »
Here's neoBracket V8-V9; looking a lot better. I think I'm going to declare success at this point and move on with my life.  :-DD

mnem
*Off to pick up the kiddles*
The bottom one is looking good. What did the trick?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22797 on: January 15, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »
Seeing as we're having analyser day, departed now (too big) but remembered:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22798 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:26 pm »
Seeing as we're having analyser day, departed now (too big) but remembered:

You sold it? Shame.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22799 on: January 15, 2019, 08:59:33 pm »
Yes but I don't regret selling it to be honest. It was way too big for my current place and the only places I could store it risked damage. Plus the center frequency control (pure uobtainium) was getting slippy and had backlash. And it went for a fuck load more than I paid for it  :-DD

Edit: I enjoyed turning it from a pile of junk into something that worked. The journey counts sometimes more than the destination.

This is me happy  :-+ :

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 09:10:47 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Inverted18650, salvagedcircuitry

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf