Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550781 times)

marcumr, Vince, TSCOLAN and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22825 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:01 am »
Yeah, eBay's explanation under these circumstances and what you should do about it are about as clear as mud (snorkel and mask, optional).

I've tried both waiting for it to resolve itself, which takes a few days, and initiating a refund request via the Resolution Center (as described in the muddy verbiage), which resulted in eBay issuing the refund the same day (despite the resolution page saying eBay will wait for the seller to respond to the refund request).

It makes you wonder if anyone at eBay actually uses eBay. Drives me crazy.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #22826 on: January 16, 2019, 07:09:23 am »
I guess the more important question is whether the meter was worth $8.40 to you. If so, then keep it and keep the honest neutral feedback. And your pride.  ;)

Personally, it tends to stick in my craw when people do two things on fleaBay:

1) Post non-positive feedback without at least attempting to contact the other party and resolve.
2) Ignore requests for remedy until after you are forced to post neutral/negative feedback.
C) Attempt to hold the refund they should've sent as an apology for wasting your time with their bunk goods hostage against reversed feedback.

mnem
Also, Garden Gnomes. Fuck every last one of them on eBay. And the demon-larvae who put them there.

Not sure if you have this problem in the US but it is getting ridiculous here with accounts claiming to be onshore sellers but being ex Asia and in particular Hong Kong (non mainland China basically) making it just possible to ship and deliver in 8-10 days. When I ordered the item I got sent within an hour an Australia Post tracking number then surprise surprise it didn't move for 6 days. We have for example a bunch based in 'Darwin' to use as an excuse for slow shipping. So it is clearly misrepresentation of location.

This is also done in part to bypass eBay taking and passing on the 10%GST on imports so clearly tax fraud too. Doesn't matte on this one low value item perhaps but added up over time it is a chunk of change.

The only way to weed them out is leaving neutral or negative feedback as on both fronts evilbay ignores complaints as it still gets its %. Keeping my pride btw  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22827 on: January 16, 2019, 07:33:04 am »
 :palm:

wheres the crying in your hand emoji? :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22828 on: January 16, 2019, 07:54:34 am »
Raise a claim in PayPal. PayPal usually side against eBay here which is hilarious. What happens is you get the cash back and the item turns up!

In the claim explain that there is no tracking or dispatch notification.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22829 on: January 16, 2019, 07:56:23 am »
:palm:

wheres the crying in your hand emoji? :(
Fuck. Did I break your brain dude? I'll just shut up now...

mnem
*Running away to bed and hiding under the covers before I do more damage*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22830 on: January 16, 2019, 08:01:40 am »
Raise a claim in PayPal. PayPal usually side against eBay here which is hilarious. What happens is you get the cash back and the item turns up!

In the claim explain that there is no tracking or dispatch notification.

Naaahhh... over here they'll just connect you with eBay support, so you don't even get the satisfaction of playing one against the other.  :-\

Tomorrow I'll call them myself, they'll immediately refund the payment, and no fun will be had whatsoever.

I can't even contact him through PayPal to see if he would even try to complete the transaction, if I wanted to do such a damn-fool thing.

mnem
*Damn-fool from way back*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22831 on: January 16, 2019, 08:38:49 am »
Short follow up to the HP 50132A counter I received yesterday:
- No failures occurring at self test.
- Performance checks possible with my equipment are all positive.
- 12.4GHz input can't be tested because the highest frequency any of my gear generates is 80MHz.

Fixed that by ordering an ADF4355 based signal generator*.    :palm:    :-DD

Photos are on the way.. hold on.

*- I ordered after I received a manual on request. Best chinglish but readable with some effort...
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22832 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:16 am »
In other News...

Well, fuuuuu... so how exactly is the transaction supposed to "process as normal"?  How am I going to even get shipping confirmation, much less tracking info when you've booted the seller off the platform?

Fuckwits.

*Sigh* So much for my $44 RX570. Guess I knew it was too good to be true...  :palm:

mnem
*Now afraid to look at my Amazon dashboard*

Yep, when you get that message from eBay, it sure sucks OK, been there 3 times in the last 2 weeks with bent sellers, at least your money is safe,
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22833 on: January 16, 2019, 09:29:56 am »
  Fixed that by ordering an ADF4355 based signal generator*.    :palm:    :-DD

Photos are on the way.. hold on.

*- I ordered after I received a manual on request. Best chinglish but readable with some effort...

Interested to see what processor and or software it might come with too? Or maybe if this software might recognize it? https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/adf4350-adf4351-based-oled-rf-source-generators/msg2123467/#msg2123467
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #22834 on: January 16, 2019, 10:49:30 am »
A bit late but an old (of course working) HP SpecAn, surrounded by a Tek 545, HP 5245L and other HP and nixie goodness!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:54:00 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver, mnementh, Inverted18650, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22835 on: January 16, 2019, 10:53:55 am »
I can smell the watts from here  :-DD

Seriously though; that's proper kit  :-+

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #22836 on: January 16, 2019, 10:57:33 am »
Two comments
1. I can only switch on about 3 or 4 at any one time!
2. They are stored on palet racking that can take 200kg per shelf, the middle shelf is getting close to the limit.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22837 on: January 16, 2019, 11:04:43 am »
More NIXIE beauty. edit:* HP 3408B with 3482A DC Range Unit...(All made by HP :-+)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 08:06:35 pm by Inverted18650 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22838 on: January 16, 2019, 11:26:29 am »
6 1/2 ?  :o
I have to look for the next Fluke

You can range it up or down. You can get 7.5 on the 1V range. I am sure you know this but maybe your meter is giving you a hard time. I have a bunch of cards for these units, whatever you need to get it going.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22839 on: January 16, 2019, 11:46:47 am »
Not sure if this is well known The Boat Anchor Manual Archive

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #22840 on: January 16, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »
How did you manage to suck it from the site and make PDF's? All I get from the site is a small cover as a .JPG. I have Winrar as well but cannot see just how you get at the document in order convert it to a pdf. I cannot even see a document.

How big is the file you have? If it's a few K, you just saved a thumbnail image that served as a hotlink.
If it's a few MB, it's the full doc. With a small jpg prefixed to the archive. The beauty of Winrar (and 7zip) is that if you run them and tell them to open any specified file as if it is an archive, they actually try to search through the file for an archive.
So a 'RARbook' is a small jpg, prefixed on a rar archive, in one file, with a .jpg filename suffix.
Result: the OS displays the small image (which serves as a 'book cover'), while Winrar can extract the archived file contents.
You could change the suffix to .rar, but then the file won't display as the cover image.

It's far from ideal, but it's BETTER than PDF, in which the contained file subcomponents can only be extracted with great and tedious effort. PDF is designed to be an impenetrable container.

See also http://everist.org/archives/scans/RAR-books/_about_rar_books/

You can fiddle-fart around with your .pngs scattered loose in a folder like old Polaroids in the bottom of a drawer. I'll keep using dynamic formats like .pdf and .rtf, thank you.

I wonder if you noticed that there is a .html file in that folder. Did you try opening it? It seems not.
Viola! The whole document as a single entity. Using a browser to scroll and zoom, which works very well indeed.
The folder of images is just another form of wrapper, exactly as PDF is, EXCEPT that you have the option of easily looking at the individual pages and images if you want.
Using html for structure also gives vast advantages over PDF, in flexibility, structural visibility and how the content is presented, indexed and formatted. I just usually only bother to make a simple linear document.

And all of this, is because I expect there to be a decent, sensible and functional container format someday, and it will be a lot easier to convert simple, totally visible-structure html+images docs over, than from the dog's vomit of a format that is PDF.

To quote someone else's recent comment: "PDF is where information goes to die."

Incidentally another reason I prefer to keep the image files visible, is that while creating them I control the process of choosing encoding type, to best suit the images and optimize compression within limits _I_ choose. Rather than some braindead auto-PDF construction algorithm.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:28:47 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22841 on: January 16, 2019, 04:40:43 pm »
While I appreciate better quality scans, there are two problems:
  • the last thing the world needs is a file with a jpg extension that is far more than a jpg image. That trickery is used by far too many malware threats
  • it is a pain that the extracted files splatter themselves across a directory. Yes, I realise you can create a directory just for them
... and what is this "WinRAR" of which you speak?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22842 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:30 pm »
This all kind of misses the point of PDFs though:

1. Vector graphics container
2. Print format
3. Searchable
4. Easily citable references
5. Simple one file per text container that doesn't need processing.
6. Portable across different devices.
7. Table of contents and document structure metadata.

PDF is mostly misunderstood. MacOS uses it for Quartz, their 2D UI stuff. One reason it doesn't look like boiled testicles on a high DPI display.

When you bundle scans into a PDF file it's a hack but it works. You can OCR and full text the content at the same time and make the scans searchable.

Also PDF is an open standard: https://www.iso.org/standard/63534.html ... RAR is not and the license is somewhat dubiously lacking.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22843 on: January 16, 2019, 05:00:21 pm »
Not sure if this is well known The Boat Anchor Manual Archive
Yes, I think it is, I often get manuals from this site.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22844 on: January 16, 2019, 05:06:04 pm »
This all kind of misses the point of PDFs though:

1. Vector graphics container
2. Print format
3. Searchable
4. Easily citable references
5. Simple one file per text container that doesn't need processing.
6. Portable across different devices.
7. Table of contents and document structure metadata.

PDF is mostly misunderstood. MacOS uses it for Quartz, their 2D UI stuff. One reason it doesn't look like boiled testicles on a high DPI display.

When you bundle scans into a PDF file it's a hack but it works. You can OCR and full text the content at the same time and make the scans searchable.

Also PDF is an open standard: https://www.iso.org/standard/63534.html ... RAR is not and the license is somewhat dubiously lacking.
Well stated, I was just about to list most of the points you raised here. The whole point of PDF is that it's totally portable across many platforms and operating systems.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22845 on: January 16, 2019, 05:08:28 pm »
Also:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22846 on: January 16, 2019, 05:15:58 pm »
 Anyway back on topic. I haven't posted this for a long time and we have some new members.

HP wallpaper archive: http://hparchive.com/wallpaper <-- TEA pr0n

Edit: there are a huge amount of new wallpapers since I last posted

Sample image

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 05:18:28 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, 0culus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22847 on: January 16, 2019, 05:18:27 pm »
Indeed, these days when you buy something new, the manual is more than likely to be on a CD and was actually compiled normally and than either saved or printed as a PDF and burnt to the CD, thats how you get good PDF's shitty ones come from someone trying to convert a paper based document into a computer file and doing it badly. In many cases the quality that can be achieved is extremely close to the nice example in bd's post if care is taken to select the right settings for the scanner.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22848 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:52 pm »
Anyway back on topic. I haven't posted this for a long time and we have some new members.

HP wallpaper archive: http://hparchive.com/wallpaper <-- TEA pr0n

Edit: there are a huge amount of new wallpapers since I last posted

Sample image

Thats a nice collection and there are some manuals as well on that site, thanks for posting.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22849 on: January 16, 2019, 05:35:04 pm »

A bit late but an old (of course working) HP SpecAn, surrounded by a Tek 545, HP 5245L and other HP and nixie goodness!

*Tightens up the band* *thwap-thwap-thwap* "Oh, hell yeah... that's the shit, baby... give it to me right there... Ooooooooh...."

More NIXIE beauty. Fluke 3408B

UMMMAGAWD!!! It's SO-O-O-O BIG! And so-o-o-o warm...   I don't know If I can take it ALLLL... *Faints*

In other News...

Well, fuuuuu... so how exactly is the transaction supposed to "process as normal"?  How am I going to even get shipping confirmation, much less tracking info when you've booted the seller off the platform?

Fuckwits. *Sigh* So much for my $44 RX570. Guess I knew it was too good to be true...  :palm:

mnem
*Now afraid to look at my Amazon dashboard*
Yep, when you get that message from eBay, it sure sucks OK, been there 3 times in the last 2 weeks with bent sellers, at least your money is safe,

Yup. Had the case decided in my favor in less than 5 minutes. Told me to expect the refund in the next 24-48 hours. Ho-hum.  ;) Gonna shop for another card for my FPV sims now... the old GT640 just won't carry Steam @ 1080P with any decent framerate.

Though in all honesty; my prehistoric Phenom 1055T CPU will probably be the bottleneck, it won't hurt to get a a semi-decent card in there; especially at the prices RX570/580s are going for now. Then I'll have the video I need for the inevitable rebuild. ;) I know 9 years is a long time to hang onto a chipset... but hey: DRAGON Platform. Of course I'm not gonna wanna give it up, especially since it still chugs away quite nicely for EVERYTHING ELSE. I'm DEFINITELY getting my money's worth out of that CPU & 16GB RAM.  :-DD

mnem
Aardvarks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf