Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551662 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23000 on: January 18, 2019, 04:41:43 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163491313811

Since it's bought & paid for, I guess I don't have to worry about someone sniping it out from under me. Of course, only after I paid did I see that the seller has "Relisted this item or another one like it".

Dammit... I looked at his other items and selling history before I bid, no prior on this item and only a few other computer parts, MBs & such; like you would expect from someone selling their old gaming rig. Jeebus, I sure hope he isn't just unloading some effed-up mining cards. :palm:

I've messaged the guy asking to make sure it still has the stock firmware. Hopefully it arrives as described.

mnem
I'm all out of "pithy".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23001 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:40 am »
The question is what can owning Capacitance Standards of that quality give you when most Caps we use are at least 1%+ accuracy unlike say a resistor where 0.005% is readilly available? My Yokagawa/HP decade box is 0.25% and way better than I need as a reference.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23002 on: January 18, 2019, 05:52:14 am »
The question is what can owning Capacitance Standards of that quality give you when most Caps we use are at least 1%+ accuracy unlike say a resistor where 0.005% is readilly available? My Yokagawa/HP decade box is 0.25% and way better than I need as a reference.

No idea, Even for RF application (where you need precision) you endup testing the cap with a VNA to find the self-resonance frequency. And the frequency change from one cap to the other depending on their construction.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23003 on: January 18, 2019, 05:53:36 am »
woups .. that's what I meant. Still, try to find something that can give you 5 digits resolution on the nano farad range.

No worries man, I have some others than you may want to try though. PM me and Ill send you my email and we can chat there if you'd like. Thanks again.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23004 on: January 18, 2019, 05:56:35 am »

They are being sent to England where "Dr. (nunabusiness)" will be setting up his calibration lab. I obviously have no use for them, I am just trying to get him some base line paperwork, as I have no (reliable) way to do it on my own. But for a CAL LAB that students will frequent for years to come, they are a treasure.

**the good Dr is a forum member, I just have no right to speak on his behalf; as that sounded kinda pissy, I didnt want you to take it the wrong way.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:00:16 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23005 on: January 18, 2019, 06:25:40 am »
The question I put above was aimed at 'us' the users not a Cal Lab. 98% of us simply can't use them or measure them as you know. Any measurements you make are likely to carry an error at least one order of magnitude more than needed to read it with 'precision' let alone confirm it's value with any level of certainty. So other than a rough check with the best gear you have on hand not worth shipping around IMO even to someone with a 0.1% class LCR meter.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23006 on: January 18, 2019, 06:34:13 am »
What about just having fun and seeing how good your gear is? But I gotta..I sold my 4274A because it was WAY more than I needed (until now right) so I feel ya.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23007 on: January 18, 2019, 06:38:31 am »
If you reserved some gear, please PM your address you I can get quotes and start getting this stuff packed up. As soon as I actually sell something, I will be able to start mailing it out...MUCH LOVE!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23008 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:31 am »
Absolutely that's why I got the HP box in the first place at 0.25% it is as good or better than fairly much most Capacitance meters I am likely to use and better than the variation as per Kosmic alluded to above for tuned circuits of off the shelf Caps.

When I ran the box over the 121GW (2.5%) it is an order of magnitude better than the meter so a good test against a claimed spec.

BUT

Part of looking at the Tweezers I have on the bench will be using it to test them across a range and at different frequencies but in this case the of one set of tweezers are down to 0.2% accuracy depending on range so they become as much about testing the box as being tested. But as they claim to have been tested/calibrated prior to shipping a good chance to see if the HP is still somewhere within spec. I will also be setting up a couple of sanity checks with the Sig Gen and DSO. Maybe I should have brought your Caps  ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23009 on: January 18, 2019, 07:59:38 am »
Any of you have an old meter in need of some new old terminals? Same deal as before free plus postage should nearly be letter thick so not to much postage around the planet but would need to check. They are 50 ohm Pamona dummy loads in the middle.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23010 on: January 18, 2019, 08:04:57 am »
Any of you have an old meter in need of some new old terminals? Same deal as before free plus postage should nearly be letter thick so not to much postage around the planet but would need to check. They are 50 ohm Pamona dummy loads in the middle.
Oh, those long skinny ones are AVO meter lead tips.
I've got a few and a few old AVO's without them.
I'll raise a hand if no one else needs them.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23011 on: January 18, 2019, 12:14:26 pm »
The winter storm "watch" that I mentioned yesterday has now been confirmed as a "warning" for Saturday afternoon through Sunday. No snow amounts given other than stating "heavy snow" and blowing snow. So there will be mass hysteria today at the local grocery stores since most did not heed the potential forecast posted days ago. :palm: I did my grocery shopping yesterday and the store was nearly empty. So I'm fully provisioned. :-+

All I have to do is visit my local pharmacy this morning and pick up a refilled medication. Then hunker down and watch it from the window.  ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23012 on: January 18, 2019, 12:38:52 pm »
Looks like a nice little front heading through the NE. Bit cool here for the next few days only + 21-22C  ;)

@Tautech Avo tips are yours.  :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23013 on: January 18, 2019, 12:49:14 pm »
Looks like a nice little front heading through the NE. Bit cool here for the next few days only + 21-22C  ;)

Thanks Bean but hold off for a week to see if someone needs them more than I.

Providing any weather has blown through by next week I don't care as I'm off fishing later next week trying to get a stripy or two in a comp, wish me luck.  :)
Let's sort the tips when I get back if that's OK.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23014 on: January 18, 2019, 01:08:01 pm »

Swap places with you, its +2C here.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23015 on: January 18, 2019, 01:23:14 pm »

Swap places with you, its +2C here.
In the last month we've seen up to 42C while in Perth and a few high 30's and got home to days of 27C, it felt nice and just worked through it on some jobs outside that had to be done. Nothing like a few weeks in a hot climate to help you through the hotter days at home.  :)
Next week or two is normally our hottest in NZ with the odd place hitting 30C.  :phew:

I'm going fishing and I don't give two hoots.  :P
Gunna do a bit of this too:  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23016 on: January 18, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »
I know about 42ºC.  Had it here today. 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23017 on: January 18, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »
I know about 42ºC.  Had it here today.
Yea for aircon and beer.  :phew:

Experienced a week of 42C for my first Perth visit a few years back and then went to see the wifes buddy a couple hours north and inland where it was 45C !  :wtf: That was tough.  :--
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23018 on: January 18, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »
I'll trade, although 42 C is a little too much.  :-DD Currently -3 C and got a dusting last night. A foreshadowing of things to come.  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23019 on: January 18, 2019, 02:01:18 pm »
   *Sighing wistfully over my morning cuppa Chock Full O' Nuts*

mnem
I miss "weather".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23020 on: January 18, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »

mnem
I miss "weather".
Better brace yourself, you'll get plenty of it when you move north of the border
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23021 on: January 18, 2019, 03:10:49 pm »

mnem
I miss "weather".
Better brace yourself, you'll get plenty of it when you move north of the border

The forecast here is getting more detailed. Now saying 6 to 12 inches of snow with winds up to 30 MPH. Close to blizzard conditions. Must have sustained winds of +35 MPH to be considered a blizzard. The only thing I worry about is losing power. And that's usually caused by some jack hole hitting a power pole, not because of a tree coming down.  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23022 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:30 pm »
Yeah, I know... I used to live a few hundred miles upstate of you, in the Finger Lakes region. We had lake-effect snowfalls (the rest of the state gets 3"; we'd get 10".... for weeks in a row sometimes) deep enough to hide a pickup truck... and when the snowplows come through, sometimes they throw snow 30 feet because they have to move that fast to "keep the curl".

You forget you have a mailbox for days sometimes. ;)

Still better than 2 months of weather where you can almost breathe, and the rest of the year like living in a sauna. And the constant battle to keep roaches and ants OUTSIDE, because there's never a killing frost. The "line of death" around every structure is kindof metaphoric...

mnem
*Off to the dentist for my next dose of misery*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23023 on: January 18, 2019, 03:40:36 pm »

mnem
I miss "weather".

I know the weather in that region intimately. I grew up about 400 miles from Toronto, almost on the same latitude. The move holds no surprises for me, aside from the idea that I'd EVER be happy to go BACK from where it's warm.  :scared:  That WAS a surprise; but it's over now. ;)

Texas is THAT toxic; environmentally, socially, AND spiritually.  :palm:

I think it's the constant, unrelenting heat. It bakes people's brains; boils all the humanity out of their very pores, and all that's left is self-righteousness and selfishness. You see the same regressive attitudes towards almost everything here that you do in the middle east; where they still have family feuds that are twice as old as America.

Cheers,

mnem
I don't want to be that person.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23024 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:36 pm »
Part of looking at the Tweezers I have on the bench will be using it to test them across a range and at different frequencies but in this case the of one set of tweezers are down to 0.2% accuracy depending on range so they become as much about testing the box as being tested. But as they claim to have been tested/calibrated prior to shipping a good chance to see if the HP is still somewhere within spec. I will also be setting up a couple of sanity checks with the Sig Gen and DSO. Maybe I should have brought your Caps  ;D

Just Ordered bunch of 0.5% caps  ;D I should be able to lower uncertainty a little bit on the PM6303.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf