Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562848 times)

DC1MC, Vince and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23075 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:15 am »
26C here today.  :P

Got your meds Med ?
Good luck buddy, hunker down and keep warm......where's your good lady ?  ;D

Yep, picked up the meds yesterday. The only thing that really concerns me about this potential storm is the ice. If it accumulates to any extent on the trees and the wind kicks up as predicted it's gonna be a mess. And all our power is overhead and you know the result.  :palm: :scared:

The lady is on duty this weekend so she's at home base in NYC. Currently the weather down there is a winter storm watch only. So it will just be me, myself, and I to keep warm.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23076 on: January 19, 2019, 07:46:25 am »
1/2 a world away time for Saturday evening Beer in the shack. Confessing my sin sometimes I drink Coronas when it warms up ;D

must wash the window too

You can use the Corona to wash the window. That's about all it's good for.  :P :P :P :P :-DD

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23077 on: January 19, 2019, 08:36:09 am »
Casually enjoying a late night pulled pork sandwich and beer, until I found this beauty lodged in the roof of my mouth. Maybe my lady is telling me to quit staying up so late.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23078 on: January 19, 2019, 08:41:42 am »
Still working & trying to get solid baselines for these REF Resistors

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23079 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:11 am »
26C here today.  [emoji14]

Got your meds Med ?

Yep, picked up the meds yesterday. The only thing that really concerns me about this potential storm is the ice. If it accumulates to any extent on the trees and the wind kicks up as predicted it's gonna be a mess. And all our power is overhead and you know the result.  :palm: :scared:

The lady is on duty this weekend so she's at home base in NYC. Currently the weather down there is a winter storm watch only. So it will just be me, myself, and I to keep warm.  :-DD
Med, trust you have plenty of blankets and extra warm clothes etc just in case, keep warm buddy, take care.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #23080 on: January 19, 2019, 11:35:29 am »
I would have loved to send you some of the heat wave we had here last week, three days with the daily maximum 40-42C, the minimum never got below 23C.
Our prayers were answered in that the airconditioner didn't break down!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23081 on: January 19, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »
Last of the Freebie Vintage bits from 'the box'.

Vintage Hirschmann Test Clips (4mm with grub screw) and 5 pairs of 'German' but otherwise unbranded 4mm pins for bare wire with spring loaded clamps. Not sure if the plugs were ever used on any meters but might suit a vintage resto for someone.

Still a few bits left from the earlier photos if anyone is keen.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23082 on: January 19, 2019, 01:20:43 pm »
Woohoo actually bought some test gear. MFJ-259B antenna analyser.

Does a whole variety of stuff including acting as an L/C meter

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=MFJ-259C&filename=MFJ-259C%20Manual%20Ver5.pdf&company=mfj

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23083 on: January 19, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »
Nice unit. Lots of bells and whistles.  :-+

The Fluke 8810A that I won on Ebay finally got out of Texas and is at a UPS hub in Rochester, NY. Next stop would be my local office in Kingston then delivered. But I doubt it will move out of Rochester today with the storm prediction. Hopefully I'll have it Monday.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23084 on: January 19, 2019, 01:49:49 pm »
Fingers crossed for you :)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23085 on: January 19, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »
In Other News...

I just got sucked into a job that required the purchase of a 3 ton chainfalls. Pray for me.

mnem
I love my family... I love my family... I love my family...

Remember me when I had the great idea of buying a 40ft highcube container. Completely overestimated my capacity of moving a 4tons box of steel that time  ;D

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #23086 on: January 19, 2019, 03:11:16 pm »
Still working & trying to get solid baselines for these REF Resistors

I have 3456A waiting for a spare Transformer. If you see anytime that please inform me  :)

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23087 on: January 19, 2019, 03:12:20 pm »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23088 on: January 19, 2019, 03:22:44 pm »
Woohoo actually bought some test gear. MFJ-259B antenna analyser.

Does a whole variety of stuff including acting as an L/C meter

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Downloads/index.php?productid=MFJ-259C&filename=MFJ-259C%20Manual%20Ver5.pdf&company=mfj
From MFJ or eBay?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 03:24:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23089 on: January 19, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »
eBay. Been lurking for a reasonably priced one for about six months.

It replaces my current antenna analyser which involves dragging a pile of kit into the garden :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23090 on: January 19, 2019, 04:12:53 pm »

-23 here  :o

Right now it's 0 C here but after the storm blows through it will get almost as cold as you.  :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23091 on: January 19, 2019, 04:57:39 pm »

Got your meds Med ?

I remember when I used to do the "snowbird" thing, full-timing it in a 33-foot Georgie Boy. We'd stay in the Finger Lakes until the weather got cold enough for fairie rings around the full moon; then pull up stakes & leave. Several times we left just in time to see the first ice storm of the season; the valley was always so beautiful... and so quiet you could hear the snowfall. Literally like something off a Hallmark card.

Then it was like "Yup... enough of that" and hit the highway.   :-+

Take care, my friend. Now's a good time to catch up on those football games you missed. And if you have time to get to Best Buy or summat, grab that BluRay set you've been thinking of bingeing, just in case the www goes tits up.

mnem
Today's show brought to you by the word "cozy".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23092 on: January 19, 2019, 05:07:08 pm »
Starting to sound like the local amateur radio lot in here with all this weather talk  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23093 on: January 19, 2019, 05:11:42 pm »
As a mentioned yesterday here is the build up of the 190mV reference. Overall view of the test set up and adjustment.

After .5 hour. I'm quite happy with this result. I thought the 190mV would drift more than the higher voltages but apparently not. And since I made a major change and reduced the trim pot on all 3 voltages from 10K to 500 ohms I had to tweak some fixed resistor values to get everything to fall into place. And I ran out of some 0.1% resistors so I had to sub some 1%  resistors. I'm going to order 0.1% replacements but I don't see it making much of a difference.

Next step is to mount the assembly into a case and put it into service. Once that's done I'll show how I decided to build that up plus I will publish the final schematic with all the updates.

Oh and BTW. For those of you who think my bench is never a mess.   :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23094 on: January 19, 2019, 05:17:04 pm »
Nice unit. Lots of bells and whistles.  :-+

The Fluke 8810A that I won on Ebay finally got out of Texas and is at a UPS hub in Rochester, NY. Next stop would be my local office in Kingston then delivered. But I doubt it will move out of Rochester today with the storm prediction. Hopefully I'll have it Monday.

I just checked again. The 8810A is at the Kingston office. It beat the storm. They won't deliver today so I'll get it Monday.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23095 on: January 19, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »

In Other News...

I just got sucked into a job that required the purchase of a 3 ton chainfalls. Pray for me.

mnem
Pulling a damn SEMI motor?

Oh, just lightweight stuff.  :P
Keep your toes out from underneath and you'll be right mate.  :phew:

Only 3 ton, hell I've busted anything I've had that could just handle that.

Upgraded !
Oh, nothing as mundane as that. Bro-in-law brought me his roommate's Prius; said they got in a accident and asked if I could do anything widdit. (I think HE got in an accident... but whatevs) Pulled the mangled bumper skin off; found the front bumper underneath shoved towards the passenger side about 150-200mm. A new skin isn't too bad; about $70, $200 if you get it prepainted. Though that's unlikely as it already has the cheapest possible bumper skin and hood on it in black gelcoat from a previous accident. Or somebody doing bare minimum to flip the thing.

But the bumper needs to be somewhere close to the right location or I won't be able to get the skin on the vehicle. I think a 3 ton will be enough to make the pull with the bumper still on; if not, I'll have to take the bumper off and pull one bumper cell at a time. We'll see. Doesn't look like the frame stubs accordion-ed too much, and solid bumper cells, no shocks. Just another day in the life, etc. Like I don't have enough on my plate.  :palm:

mnem
" 'Family' is the people who take advantage of you and you don't get mad about it." ~me
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23096 on: January 19, 2019, 05:18:07 pm »
As a mentioned yesterday here is the build up of the 190mV reference. Overall view of the test set up and adjustment.

After .5 hour. I'm quite happy with this result. I thought the 190mV would drift more than the higher voltages but apparently not. And since I made a major change and reduced the trim pot on all 3 voltages from 10K to 500 ohms I had to tweak some fixed resistor values to get everything to fall into place. And I ran out of some 0.1% resistors so I had to sub some 1%  resistors. I'm going to order 0.1% replacements but I don't see it making much of a difference.

Next step is to mount the assembly into a case and put it into service. Once that's done I'll show how I decided to build that up plus I will publish the final schematic with all the updates.

Oh and BTW. For those of you who think my bench is never a mess.   :-DD

"A mess" Now we're absolutely sure you're just pretending. The stuff on the desk even looks staged! ;D

I like those little references. Even though the DMMCheck Plus is more accurate, having a number of voltages available in one box is very useful for some quick checks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23097 on: January 19, 2019, 05:24:58 pm »
  ...Oh and BTW. For those of you who think my bench is never a mess.   :-DD

Fuck... I'm lucky if my bench looks that good when I'm just done cleaning up! :-DD

mnem
No. Alternately, yes. Maybe... I dunno; life is unfair.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23098 on: January 19, 2019, 05:27:40 pm »
Starting to sound like the local amateur radio lot in here with all this weather talk  :-DD

Well, yeah... AR is what UseNet USED TO BE in the analog days.  :-DD

mnem
Suck it and die, YahooGroups.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23099 on: January 19, 2019, 05:28:38 pm »

In Other News...

mnem
Pulling a damn SEMI motor?

Oh, just lightweight stuff.  :P
Keep your toes out from underneath and you'll be right mate.  :phew:

Only 3 ton, hell I've busted anything I've had that could just handle that.

Upgraded !
Oh, nothing as mundane as that. Bro-in-law brought me his roommate's Prius; said they got in a accident and asked if I could do anything widdit. (I think HE got in an accident... but whatevs) Pulled the mangled bumper skin off; found the front bumper underneath shoved towards the passenger side about 150-200mm. A new skin isn't too bad; about $70, $200 if you get it prepainted. Though that's unlikely as it already has the cheapest possible bumper skin and hood on it in black gelcoat from a previous accident. Or somebody doing bare minimum to flip the thing.

But the bumper needs to be somewhere close to the right location or I won't be able to get the skin on the vehicle. I think a 3 ton will be enough to make the pull with the bumper still on; if not, I'll have to take the bumper off and pull one bumper cell at a time. We'll see. Doesn't look like the frame stubs accordion-ed too much, and solid bumper cells, no shocks. Just another day in the life, etc. Like I don't have enough on my plate.  :palm:

mnem
" 'Family' is the people who take advantage of you and you don't get mad about it." ~me

Don't you just love it when you get volunteered for shit like that? I feel your pain, it has happen to me more times than I can count. And it was always the wife's side that screwed up your weekends. And when you did help them it never seemed like they appreciated it. More like expected it. Bunch of losers.  :rant: :wtf:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf