Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14562972 times)

DC1MC, Vince and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23225 on: January 21, 2019, 07:50:21 pm »
I don’t make PCBs any more for the same reasons. China do a good job for a fiver at average if you can wait :)

Yup... and if you don't want to send your work over there to be stolen by every punk kid with a smartphone, or you just want it in days not weeks... OshPark still does good and quick for $10-15. Plus I love the purple PCBs. ;)  I did a quick search just now on OshPark's shared projects page... I couldn't find anything anybody had shared that looks like the probe. Afraid you'll have to use the files from that fellow's blog.

Takes less time for JLC to get here than OSHpark even if you pay for priority :( ... plus the PCBs from OSHpark are crap. The mask is horrid and the registration is poor and those mousebites can just go to hell. As for the stolen stuff, they're welcome to it. I'll buy it back and resell it :)

More seriously I would do prototype boards locally if I was going to make some serious cash out of something.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #23226 on: January 21, 2019, 08:03:39 pm »
this blackbox from analog devices, what is the name from that?
They have sold preamplifiers ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23227 on: January 21, 2019, 08:14:44 pm »
Ooh that's an oldy. Look up AD260K. It's an isolation amplifer

https://www.analog.com/en/products/ad260.html

Edit: still sell 'em. £52 a go!

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #23228 on: January 21, 2019, 08:30:34 pm »
oldie, yes. H&B  Voltmeter.
it have VFD Tubes behind a shielding mesh.  :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:34:42 pm by Martin.M »

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23229 on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:15 pm »

The DCV/ACV/Ohms selector switch is jammed solid. Can only select DCV. Will attempt to fix or again, take it off the 8800A parts unit.

The 8810 by default only came with a DCV capability, IIRC.  To enable ACV, Ω, etc. you have to not only have the appropriate card in the unit, but also remove a blocking tab in the switch assembly so that the other modes can be selected.  See sections 2-14, 607-7, and 608-5 in the 8810A manual...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23230 on: January 21, 2019, 09:42:51 pm »
oldie, yes. H&B  Voltmeter.
it have VFD Tubes behind a shielding mesh.  :)
Interesting, I've never seen single digit VFD tubes. Although I have seen this meter before.
Who made the tubes?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23231 on: January 21, 2019, 09:44:50 pm »
Not the first time I've had a fluke handle get broken in shipment. But super glue doesn't work on the type of plastic Fluke uses. Has to be epoxy.
Well now here's the thing, you might very well be correct, I don't know, but I know that in the case of the HP handles, unlike most plastics which will stick almost instantly with superglue, the HP handles did not. But after leaving them in a clamp for 24 hours or even longer they did bond really well and they have never come undone.

Looking at the plastic prior to glueing, I would have predicted that they super glue was not suitable because the fracture in the plastic has such a high glossy appearance to it. I have also successfully used the same technique on oscilloscope handles, not DSO ones but proper analogue ones, and had no problem in carrying the scopes around with the handle, so there is a chance that the Fluke handle also respond in similar fashion if you were to try it. :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23232 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:44 pm »

The DCV/ACV/Ohms selector switch is jammed solid. Can only select DCV. Will attempt to fix or again, take it off the 8800A parts unit.

The 8810 by default only came with a DCV capability, IIRC.  To enable ACV, Ω, etc. you have to not only have the appropriate card in the unit, but also remove a blocking tab in the switch assembly so that the other modes can be selected.  See sections 2-14, 607-7, and 608-5 in the 8810A manual...

Interesting. I didn't know that. So apparently this doesn't have ACV and Ohms capability. I haven't opened it up yet to take a look.

And here it is a few hours later after getting up to room temp. I haven't done anything other than that and it is absolutely bang on in spec.
Happy camper!  :-+

Once again......seems you can always trust a Fluke.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23233 on: January 21, 2019, 09:56:28 pm »

Interesting. I didn't know that. So apparently this doesn't have ACV and Ohms capability. I haven't opened it up yet to take a look.

And here it is a few hours later after getting up to room temp. I haven't done anything other than that and it is absolutely bang on in spec.

Yep, Flukes are really great in maintaining their specs. I have had over 9 flukes 25's and 27's all ex military with calibrations dates that were many years out of date and yet when I hooked them up to a standard AD584M and other good reference sources, all agreed with each other. I have since sold most of these now and have replaced them with more modern bench meters, the 8840A and 8842A and again both these were years away from a known calibration and yet they also agree with each other against my normal calibrations standards, once they have been given the requisite warm up period  :-+

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:03:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23234 on: January 21, 2019, 10:05:05 pm »

Yep, Flukes are really great in maintaining their specs. I have had over 9 flukes 25's and 27's all ex military with calibrations dates that were many years out of date and yet when I hooked them up to a standard AD584M and other good reference sources, all agreed with each other. I have since sold most of these now and have replaced them with more modern bench meters, the 8840A and 8842A and again both these were years away from a known calibration and yet they also agree with each other against my normal calibrations standards, once they have been given the requisite warm up period  :-+

This 8810A was frigid cold when I unpacked it. It only got up to about -12 C today. And it sat in a (probably unheated) UPS warehouse all weekend. So I knew it would be off when I powered it up. And now that it's warmed up it's typical Fluke.

Now I'm really curious to see if it has ACV and Ohms options. Apparently according to GregDunn if the selector switch is blocked it doesn't. But I'll hold off opening it up until tomorrow. 

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23235 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:04 pm »

the far vertical board is the ac volts option.   the near board is the ohms option.

but yours has a much cleaner face than my old dog.......and mine did not come with a handle.

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23236 on: January 21, 2019, 10:09:22 pm »

This 8810A was frigid cold when I unpacked it. It only got up to about -12 C today. And it sat in a (probably unheated) UPS warehouse all weekend. So I knew it would be off when I powered it up. And now that it's warmed up it's typical Fluke.

Now I'm really curious to see if it has ACV and Ohms options. Apparently according to GregDunn if the selector switch is blocked it doesn't. But I'll hold off opening it up until tomorrow. 
The thing I have found with Flukes is that they usually state on the rear panel where these things are optional extras, what options it left the factory with, have you checked the rear panel for the options list at all?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23237 on: January 21, 2019, 10:15:06 pm »
@nixiefreqq nice to see you also use the magnetic dishes for the fixing screws etc. I have found them to be invaluable over the years, I even have one of the 140 x 240 trays which I find handy for the larger strip downs where there are shield and long extension shafts etc.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23238 on: January 21, 2019, 10:19:35 pm »

The thing I have found with Flukes is that they usually state on the rear panel where these things are optional extras, what options it left the factory with, have you checked the rear panel for the options list at all?

I just looked. It's on the bottom plate. This 8810A does NOT have ACV or Ohms. No big deal. Tomorrow I'll open it up and take pix. I know where the AC and Ohms boards should be because I have an 8800A parts mule.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23239 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:46 pm »
I don’t make PCBs any more for the same reasons. China do a good job for a fiver at average if you can wait :)

Yup... and if you don't want to send your work over there to be stolen by every punk kid with a smartphone, or you just want it in days not weeks... OshPark still does good and quick for $10-15. Plus I love the purple PCBs. ;)  I did a quick search just now on OshPark's shared projects page... I couldn't find anything anybody had shared that looks like the probe. Afraid you'll have to use the files from that fellow's blog.
Takes less time for JLC to get here than OSHpark even if you pay for priority :( ... plus the PCBs from OSHpark are crap. The mask is horrid and the registration is poor and those mousebites can just go to hell. As for the stolen stuff, they're welcome to it. I'll buy it back and resell it :)

More seriously I would do prototype boards locally if I was going to make some serious cash out of something.

My experience has not been bad... ~ 1 week, no special shipping, cheapest Proto pricing schedule. Couple dozen orders over the last few years.

Maybe they just don't like us damned Yankees.  :-// Don't rat me out, now!  

Doyt! Talking to bd, not med. Yeah, I guess it would take a while to get tooya compared to me. :-DD

mnem
*Taking care of a sick widdle grrl*
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 10:31:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23240 on: January 21, 2019, 10:22:06 pm »
Yep, quite right on the 8810A its on the bottom, I did a search for a photo and came up with this.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23241 on: January 21, 2019, 10:24:40 pm »
Speaking of accuracy. If only my brand new Siglent were as accurate as this 30 year old 8810A (and the 8000A before I fatally damaged it), .

That should be 9.9969VDC. Now, in practical terms does it really make a difference? Nope. But does it absolutely bug the shit out of me? You betcha!  |O  :rant:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23242 on: January 21, 2019, 10:28:51 pm »
@nixiefreqq nice to see you also use the magnetic dishes for the fixing screws etc. I have found them to be invaluable over the years, I even have one of the 140 x 240 trays which I find handy for the larger strip downs where there are shield and long extension shafts etc.

would like to take credit for having the brains to get magnetic dishes...….but nope.....my father passed at the end of October (he almost made it to 93).  he had a pair of those little dishes on his bench and now they are on mine.  thought they were just a gimmick......but they seem to collect just about all the little crap that usually gets misplaced otherwise.  (and they are useful in sorting stainless from regular hardware).

guess he still had some stuff to teach me.

free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23243 on: January 21, 2019, 10:29:11 pm »
Haha, I know what you mean, my 2 HP meters disagree with the 8840A and 8842A by about 3 to 4 millivolts, nothing in the grand scheme of things but it is the Flukes that are now my go to bench meter just as my Brymen BM867 is my go to handheld.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23244 on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:01 pm »

My experience has been much the same.  Several handheld DMMs, 3 8600A and 4 8800A... every single one of them in spec on all modes once I got them to power up at all and fixed any PSU issues.  I'm actually quite impressed with the last 8800A because not only did I swap out a number of filter caps, it has a batteryless Ω converter from another forum member's parts unit, and the U11 controller from an 8600A.  It seems to be the most accurate of all of the group, too.  Unfortunately I have no idea when it was last calibrated; unlike some of them it came with no trace of a cal sticker.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23245 on: January 22, 2019, 12:15:42 am »
I took some 'me" time last couple of days in order to better learn and understand exactly what I am playing with here. BIG thanks go out to 'Tony_G' and 'w2aew' and their respective YouTube channels!

Playing with these HP SIG GENs and microwave counter. Nice to see these units are in good shape. I tried make sure you can see the power levels on the dials of the HP8640B as that is where the counter picked up the signal immediately. Same so the HP8672A, I had to crank up the juice at "00db" for get the counter to see it instantly.The 8672A has a range from +10 through -110 so its quite fun to play with. It all started when I received a question on eBay about the Boonton power sensors (from someone who saw them here I believe, but did not identify themselves) so I tried to find a way I can test them without the 4220 power meter. So much fun!

I swear if I am keeping learning, I am just going to keep everything...  T.E.A!  >:D

****edit: I am not selling the freq counter****
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:11:28 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23246 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:19 am »
The counter is not picking up anything over 12GHz ( it will go to all zero's at 12000000100) and I have no proof which instrument is at fault. My moneys on the SIG GEN. I checked the 10MHz output of the SIG GEN and it was bang on, but the 100MHz out was off by 7Hz. Next Ill feed the 10MHz, from the 8672A into the tailend of the counter and see what I can see... :-//  Just having fun playing around and learning.

***My next step, my plan, well, its the same as always, "take over the world" --pinky and the brain
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:14:01 am by Inverted18650 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23247 on: January 22, 2019, 01:30:56 am »
Time and Frequency nuttery is as bad as the volt version for addiction. I was playing with a couple of GPSDO's on the bench yesterday before the power went out and feeding them into some clock multiplier and divider chips I got a while back. Add to this my little ADF4350 generator and it has caused me to buy 'two' more HP frequency counters to play with. No I don't have a problem  >:D

HP5300 based. Interesting modular system top and tail or add a battery module. In my case strap a GPSDO to the top and LiPo battery power the lot instead of using a UPS to keep it alive when the power goes down. Shame they didn't use the dot display on the 8 digit 5300 too.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23248 on: January 22, 2019, 01:42:28 am »
Those dots are very sexy.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23249 on: January 22, 2019, 01:52:47 am »
The counter is not picking up anything over 12GHz ( it will go to all zero's at 12000000100) and I have no proof which instrument is at fault. My moneys on the SIG GEN. I checked the 10MHz output of the SIG GEN and it was bang on, but the 100MHz out was off by 7Hz. Next Ill feed the 10MHz, from the 8672A into the tailend of the counter and see what I can see... :-//  Just having fun playing around and learning.

***My next step, my plan, well, its the same as always, "take over the world" --pinky and the brain

Make sure you are using good quality connectors and cables. BNC can go to 4Ghz max. Sma technically 18 GHz. Type n around the same as sma.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf