Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786105 times)

marcumr and 102 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23400 on: January 24, 2019, 12:41:25 am »
is this the thread also for those who are addicted to multimeters?
No, goodbye.
Just kidding;
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/

Edit URL fixed
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:49:51 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23401 on: January 24, 2019, 12:42:50 am »
 :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23402 on: January 24, 2019, 12:43:34 am »

Define addiction? My Dozen or so makes me an casual user not an addict like those with a real problem :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23403 on: January 24, 2019, 12:47:49 am »
we DEMAND pictures of the stash!

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23404 on: January 24, 2019, 01:05:19 am »
this is a real multimeter.... (*edit: I refuse to even wipe it down, that dust is older than me.)

another edit, added its ohmic counter-part
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 01:22:48 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #23405 on: January 24, 2019, 01:23:59 am »
Thanks for the replies

I got an analogue multimeter as first meter.... a pocket one and a recent one, offered

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/show-your-multimeter!/?action=dlattach;attach=485816

and yes it is on show the multimeter.... I like to work with multimeters but that is something like from other era.

If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23406 on: January 24, 2019, 02:01:35 am »
Does that 7A18A work and how much you want for it? It would be perfect for my OS-245 (7603N).
Here I go thinking we're friends, and you insult me?  >:( What gives? <---Just kidding, I am not insulted, trying to be funny
Just pick a couple and PM me your address, I'll drop them in the mail for you tomorrow, give ya something to play with til it warms up. I would send you the whole 7704A it came with (i have the 04 *edit fixed typo) if it wasn't so damn expensive to ship. The plugins will fit nicely into a flat rate box for you. ( I am keeping the CAL UNIT and the 7B53A, as I don't have doubles of those).

PM sent.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23407 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:20 am »

It's here. Like brand freaking new in the retail box; all papers and caps and everything. No dust, no lint, no evidence it's ever been disassembled. Even left the all the protective skins for me to peel off!  :-DD Doesn't smell like its ever been overheated; I'm looking for something my PC can run that can actually make the thing break a sweat...

mnem
*Couch-tuber time widda boi*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23408 on: January 24, 2019, 02:11:22 am »
That is a serious piece of hardware. Are you sure the PC supply has enough headroom to power it?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23409 on: January 24, 2019, 02:14:37 am »
Go render some 4K video and see how it goes. I need to spend some fairly serious $ on a new PC and card as this one is horrid to render even HD on. I promise I won't play games on it honest  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #23410 on: January 24, 2019, 02:19:37 am »

Define addiction? My Dozen or so makes me an casual user not an addict like those with a real problem :-DD

Then I must simply be a Luddite at a paltry 9, though 2 may not count since they are Anengs.  But I have 4 HP bench meters, does that mean anything? I almost bought a 5th, but the bill for my outpatient procedure to remove the stone in the bile duct came in. Holy Shitballs, was that expensive.  |O |O |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23411 on: January 24, 2019, 02:23:46 am »

It's here. Like brand freaking new in the retail box; all papers and caps and everything. No dust, no lint, no evidence it's ever been disassembled. Even left the all the protective skins for me to peel off!  :-DD Doesn't smell like its ever been overheated; I'm looking for something my PC can run that can actually make the thing break a sweat...

mnem
*Couch-tuber time widda boi*
Very nice, especially for that money.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23412 on: January 24, 2019, 02:26:35 am »
Go render some 4K video and see how it goes. I need to spend some fairly serious $ on a new PC and card as this one is horrid to render even HD on. I promise I won't play games on it honest  >:D

I don't game and I'm not 4K capable so my media PC gets along just fine with this pip squeak of a video card.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23413 on: January 24, 2019, 03:03:13 am »
To hot on the bench to do anymore TEA for the day. Got the 100V+ multi tapped transformer sorted for my Curve Tracer project. 2pm is a bit early for Beer (not really) but time for a double shot iced Coffee as the temperature continues to climb.  :phew:

Could Extreme Tea at +40 C or below 0 C become a thing  :)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23414 on: January 24, 2019, 03:05:27 am »
Could Extreme Tea at +40 C or below 0 C become a thing  :)

Oh shit! EXTREME T.E.A. Time to get the calibration gear on a chopper.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23415 on: January 24, 2019, 03:36:05 am »
That is a serious piece of hardware. Are you sure the PC supply has enough headroom to power it?

This was my gaming rig til about 7 years ago; when the MB poofied it got rebuilt into a generic mid-tower as my daily driver. OCZ 450-12U was a pretty stout power supply for its time; actually a derated 550W PSU. But 240 watts for the card and 135 watts for my antique 1055T are still gonna push it, IF I actually find some software that will run on my old beast that CAN make the card break a sweat.

My problems are a little more primal now; I'm gonna need a really, really long shoehorn for this one.  :-DD

I'm hoping I can skate a little longer on this build; I wanna make an even decade on that 1055T & 16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3.  I'll spring for a new case if I have to... but if I have to go new MB, I'm gonna just buy something 8700-8800K or better used and beat it like a rented mule.

https://youtu.be/J8ja79SlA-g

In all honesty, I should be able to get by just fine with what I have. I don't need that much; just a lot more than my old GT640 can do. I'm looking to run a flight sim on Steam at 1080P, not some 4K twitch-trigger First Person Shooter boolsheet. Linus did almost the same exact thing I'm doing in the video above, just to show that prehistoric hardware can still perform if upgraded with modern graphics cards. The Q9550 he uses is as old and 2 fewer cores than my 1055T; and I know for a fact I can run it at 3.8GHz all day with that Silent Copper cooler.

I think it's gonna be an interesting experiment!

mnem
*Heads out to the garage for a deep-dive rummage*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:23:14 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #23416 on: January 24, 2019, 03:53:27 am »
Extreme temp TEA here (Adelaide) we just hit 46.2C! 
Thanks for air-conditioning!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23417 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:38 am »
This was my gaming rig til about 7 years ago; when the MB poofied it got rebuilt into as my daily driver. OCZ 450-12Uwas a pretty stout power supply for its time; actually a derated 550W PSU. But 240 watts for the card and 135 watts for my antique 1055T are still gonna push it, IF I actually find some software that will run on my old beast that CAN make the card break a sweat.
Be careful though. 7 years is quite old for a power supply. You wouldn't want it murdering your new card.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23418 on: January 24, 2019, 04:06:20 am »
Extreme temp TEA here (Adelaide) we just hit 46.2C! 
Thanks for air-conditioning!

At 42.5 C and still climbing and what Air Con  :phew:

If extreme Ironing can be a thing Extreme TEA has merit too. First person to stand in the Ocean and use a multi kV power supply wins  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23419 on: January 24, 2019, 04:19:56 am »
This was my gaming rig til about 7 years ago; when the MB poofied it got rebuilt into as my daily driver. OCZ 450-12Uwas a pretty stout power supply for its time; actually a derated 550W PSU. But 240 watts for the card and 135 watts for my antique 1055T are still gonna push it, IF I actually find some software that will run on my old beast that CAN make the card break a sweat.
Be careful though. 7 years is quite old for a power supply. You wouldn't want it murdering your new card.

Naah... PSU is more like 3-4 years old; the Thermaltake 660W it replaced was what killed the last MB. That 1055T & 16GB have been in 4 different MBs, and 3 different cases... and 3 different OSes. I'm wondering if I have the old Chieftec Dragon from when I first built it buried in the garage... I know I brought it from San Antonio out of nostalgia, but don't know if it made the trip TO Houston a few years later.

If I find that case, I'll have plenty of room to sister in one of my 750-900W server PSUs to feed the beast. That OCZ never had it so easy; plus IIRC, it has PFC but not quite 80+ rating.

mnem
If I don't return in the next 2 hours... tell my children I loved them.  :o
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:21:43 am by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23420 on: January 24, 2019, 04:30:44 am »
What the fuck, Ebay? Displaying an item cost and shipping cost in the purchases section and then suddenly having a higher combined price at checkout isn't very cool. That feels an awful lot like ambushing people who don't pay too much attention in the second screen.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
OT: Stupid Human Tricks!!!
« Reply #23421 on: January 24, 2019, 04:51:49 am »

Welp... If I don't find anything better in the garage, believe it or not the damn thing WILL fit in this old HP MediaCenter PC from way back when before Roku stalked the earth...  :-DD

mnem
Ifni save me... it still has two whole seasons of Cowboy Bebop on the hard drive... :palm:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: OT: Stupid Human Tricks!!!
« Reply #23422 on: January 24, 2019, 05:05:34 am »

Welp... If I don't find anything better in the garage, believe it or not the damn thing WILL fit in this old HP MediaCenter PC from way back when before Roku stalked the earth...  :-DD

mnem
Ifni save me... it still has two whole seasons of Cowboy Bebop on the hard drive... :palm:
Maybe after you fix the bulging caps !  :o
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #23423 on: January 24, 2019, 06:01:25 am »

I'm not addicted. I can quit any time.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Inverted18650, salvagedcircuitry

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23424 on: January 24, 2019, 06:42:34 am »
I'm not addicted. I can quit any time.

I think you're lying to yourself mate..which is exactly what we all do, its okay to be in denial.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf