Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14807509 times)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23425 on: January 24, 2019, 06:53:17 am »
Ever check the zener output from a 3330B and then dance and scream like a fool. I did. Amazing feeling

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23426 on: January 24, 2019, 06:56:30 am »
Seems the Temperature has 'peaked' here at 43.6 C at 5pm (Adelaide you are the winners with 46.2 ? :o ) Currently a pleasant 43.3  :phew:

My TEA is cooked and my dinner too.  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23427 on: January 24, 2019, 06:57:24 am »
Ever check the zener output from a 3330B and then dance and scream like a fool. I did. Amazing feeling

Remember you are supposed to be selling not 'saving'  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23428 on: January 24, 2019, 07:08:37 am »

Remember you are supposed to be selling not 'saving'  :-DD

All  really wanted was the 3330B and the 5200...everything else is free game...but much love for the reminder. Doc came through, clutch!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: OT: Stupid Human Tricks!!!
« Reply #23429 on: January 24, 2019, 07:42:47 am »

Welp... If I don't find anything better in the garage, believe it or not the damn thing WILL fit in this old HP MediaCenter PC from way back when before Roku stalked the earth...  :-DD

mnem
Ifni save me... it still has two whole seasons of Cowboy Bebop on the hard drive... :palm:
Maybe after you fix the bulging caps !  :o

Not on your nelly, mate.  ;)

That HP is fucking infested with gremlins... has been for years. I've already nuked it from orbit; now starts the terraforming with my ASUS MB & 1055T.  :-DD

Only thing I found in the garage was an old Rosewill HTPC case that's even worse than the one I'm moving out of.  |O  We'll see how things look tomorrow when I'm done with the case hackery.  ;D

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 07:45:07 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23430 on: January 24, 2019, 07:51:07 am »

Welp... If I don't find anything better in the garage, believe it or not the damn thing WILL fit in this old HP MediaCenter PC from way back when before Roku stalked the earth...  :-DD

mnem
Ifni save me... it still has two whole seasons of Cowboy Bebop on the hard drive... :palm:
Maybe after you fix the bulging caps !  :o

Not on your nelly, mate.  ;)

That HP is fucking infested with gremlins... has been for years. I've already nuked it from orbit; now starts the terraforming with my ASUS MB & 1055T.  :-DD

Only thing I found in the garage was an old Rosewill HTPC case that's even worse than the one I'm moving out of.  |O  We'll see how things look tomorrow when I'm done with the case hackery.  ;D

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
What about the cooling, air or water, personally I like water which is what I have had on my last 3 PCs so much quieter and cooler as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23431 on: January 24, 2019, 07:58:37 am »
What about the cooling, air or water, personally I like water which is what I have had on my last 3 PCs so much quieter and cooler as well.

Works fine until your water tank is in a 40+C environment. My air cooled CPU and PC has no spot above 49C with a 40+ C ambient.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #23432 on: January 24, 2019, 08:20:02 am »
Sexy looking finned CPU heatsink mnem.  :-+

Is it fanless ?
Gunna repurpose it ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23433 on: January 24, 2019, 08:42:55 am »
Sell it to the copper merchants and get a CPU with lower TDP and electricity bill?  :popcorn:  :-DD

Fastest CPU in my house now is an i5-4200U which is pants :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23434 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:27 am »
Water cooling is the way to go, I'm running a AMD FX8350 8 core CPU @ 4GHx with 32GB RAM and a Nvidia Geoforce GTX960 graphics and currently running on average at 21C and peak of 30C on CPU and drawing around average 25W to 45W peak, no screaming fans trying keep CPU cool here even in the summer :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23435 on: January 24, 2019, 09:12:57 am »
Please make sure you use "Summer" in italics. When did the UK last get a few +40C days in a row? :-DD

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #23436 on: January 24, 2019, 09:20:05 am »
Seems the Temperature has 'peaked' here at 43.6 C at 5pm (Adelaide you are the winners with 46.2 ? :o ) Currently a pleasant 43.3  :phew:

My TEA is cooked and my dinner too.  ;D
I think Adelaide got to 46.6C, making the record for the hottest capital city in Australia! What a bad record to hold.
My daughter has just returned from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. She is spending a lot of time lying on the cooler tiles!

Pat - Nice stash!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #23437 on: January 24, 2019, 09:27:07 am »
this is a real multimeter.... (*edit: I refuse to even wipe it down, that dust is older than me.)

0.2% accuracy and "internal standard cell". Sounds like the technique we had to use at school, but we had to create our own using a NiFe cell, resistance wire and a 1m rule.

Does that standard cell still work? I have some 1940s saturated standard cells that are still in spec[1] but they are very fragile and not suitable for use in portable instruments. The robust standard cells have a much shorter lifetime.

Both contain cadmium and mercury, so transporting them is problematic and/or illegal. Mercury does interesting things to the aluminium in aircraft.

[1] there are pictures on this forum, somewhere. Or see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:33:46 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23438 on: January 24, 2019, 09:42:46 am »
...when every vendor has "Call for quote" in the price field, you know it's in "if you have to ask you can't afford it" territory.  :-DD

Back in the 70s, some HiFi vendors put that in their adverts.

Their prices were often lower, since the manufacturers "restricted their supply" if they visible undercut other vendors. Ah, the wonders of RRP (recommended retail price)!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23439 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:49 am »
0.2% accuracy and "internal standard cell". Sounds like the technique we had to use at school, but we had to create our own using a NiFe cell, resistance wire and a 1m rule.

Does that standard cell still work? I have some 1940s saturated standard cells that are still in spec[1] but they are very fragile and not suitable for use in portable instruments. The robust standard cells have a much shorter lifetime.

Both contain cadmium and mercury, so transporting them is problematic and/or illegal. Mercury does interesting things to the aluminium in aircraft.

[1] there are pictures on this forum, somewhere. Or see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/

This thread and my pair 'new in box' cells 8) and a brief history from Dr Frank https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/1000-my-(hi)story-of-the-weston-cell-of-the-volt-and-of-being-a-volt-nuts/msg1442723/#msg1442723 Actually off by 0.1mV as they are saturated cells.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:52:38 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23440 on: January 24, 2019, 09:57:39 am »
Yep UK Summer  :-DD

Highest (England)[2]    38.5    101.3°F    Faversham, Kent    10 August 2003
Highest (Wales)            35.2°C    95.4°F    Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire    2 August 1990
Highest (Scotland)            32.9°C    91.2°F    Greycrook, Scottish Borders    9 August 2003
Highest (Northern Ireland)    30.8°C    87.4°F    Knockarevan, County Fermanagh    30 June 1976
Shaw's Bridge, Belfast, County Antrim    12 July 1983

Scary Heatwaves  :phew:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23441 on: January 24, 2019, 10:13:07 am »

Highest (Wales)            35.2°C    95.4°F    Hawarden Bridge, Flintshire    2 August 1990
Highest (Scotland)            32.9°C    91.2°F    Greycrook, Scottish Borders    9 August 2003
Highest (Northern Ireland)    30.8°C    87.4°F    Knockarevan, County Fermanagh    30 June 1976

It rarely exceeds 38 C (100 F) here in Summer too. Last Summer highest temp I recorded was 36 C (97 F). But those temps are accompanied with uncomfortable levels of high humidity of greater than 60%. I would assume that those 45 to 47 C temps are with relatively low humidity. Not to say it's not uncomfortable. I experienced 115 F (46 C) once. Was driving across the Mojave Desert in California in an air conditioned car. Stopped at a rest stop. Was like stepping into a blast furnace.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23442 on: January 24, 2019, 10:15:38 am »

This thread and my pair 'new in box' cells 8) and a brief history from Dr Frank https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/1000-my-(hi)story-of-the-weston-cell-of-the-volt-and-of-being-a-volt-nuts/msg1442723/#msg1442723 Actually off by 0.1mV as they are saturated cells.

I can use my saturated Weston cells as a thermometer, since they have a 40uV/C tempco. Your unsaturated cells have a mere 5uV/C tempco :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23443 on: January 24, 2019, 10:18:18 am »
This morning was over 90% RH until the temperature got up we are back up to 20+% and its getting sticky at over 35C still.  :-- Adelaide is a bit different and much more dry.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23444 on: January 24, 2019, 10:23:59 am »
This morning was over 90% RH until the temperature got up we are back up to 20+% and its getting sticky at over 35C still.  :-- Adelaide is a bit different and much more dry.

That is uncomfortable. I don't like the heat and I don't do well in the heat which is why my electric bill almost doubles during the Summer running the A/C.  :phew:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23445 on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:06 am »
Walk up random test on 1961 at 35C or about 15C over the other picture. 0.06mV up and a touch of that will be the 34401A based on the data I have for it. 8)

Trap for anyone playing with one for the first time ** Only test with a null meter or GigOhm impedance ones**

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23446 on: January 24, 2019, 11:05:09 am »

Or more to the point, when did Australia have a real winter? [emoji1787]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23447 on: January 24, 2019, 11:13:08 am »
We do get one of those down to an average of 13 to 5 C overnight in July and it only rains every second day unlike the UK  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23448 on: January 24, 2019, 11:26:57 am »

I have pictures of my daughter and relatives skiing near Melbourne :)

That's a more regular occurrance than here :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23449 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:15 am »

I have pictures of my daughter and relatives skiing near Melbourne :)

That's a more regular occurrance than here :)

I was just going say....since when does the UK have a "real" winter?  When was the last time London got a 10 inch snow fall like I did last weekend?  :-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf