Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820277 times)

Vince, EggertEnjoyer123 and 146 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23525 on: January 25, 2019, 08:57:27 am »
The GPSDO I got in March last year some details here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bg7tbl-gpsdo-master-reference/msg1440787/#msg1440787

The new boring spot on DUD is the 5300B based Counter ;D

Not sure if this was the seller I got mine from but it is a curent evilbay link https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPSDO-10MHz-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-3-sine-and-3-square-wave-2-1PPS-Send-GPS-ante/253375324294?hash=item3afe58a086:g:J~YAAOSwp7taabo4:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:08:18 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23526 on: January 25, 2019, 09:06:06 am »
Out of service could be anything from no longer in Cal to brain failure  :-// Not to worried it seems to be alive in this case :)

I hope it needs more doing to it than this DUD I purchased to play with YAWN BORING cant even improve it by the correct tongue angle and a swizzle stick :-DD

Interesting... What do the Sine & Square wave outputs look like?

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23527 on: January 25, 2019, 09:07:26 am »
The GPSDO I got in March last year some details here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bg7tbl-gpsdo-master-reference/msg1440787/#msg1440787

The new boring spot on DUD is the 5300B based Counter ;D

Thanks! I have been thinking about GPSDO + distribution amp for my lab...I have two bits of HP gear that have OCXOs which can drive another timebase input, but this is a much cleaner solution.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23528 on: January 25, 2019, 09:10:09 am »
I am planning to bolt it to the top of the 5300B shell when the battery one arrives as a UPS GPSDO  ;D

Some shots of the waveforms in the forum link above.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23529 on: January 25, 2019, 09:12:25 am »
I am planning to bolt it to the top of the 5300B shell when the battery one arrives as a UPS GPSDO  ;D

Some shots of the waveforms in the forum link above.

Yeah, looks pretty clean! The ones on ebay look a little different https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-10MHZ-SINE-WAVE-Sinewave-GPS-DISCiPLINED-CLOCK-GPSDO-with-LCD-Display/112700839490?hash=item1a3d7e5642:g:TqQAAOSwPPpaOhYT

Same innards?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23530 on: January 25, 2019, 09:16:16 am »
Added a link to a post earlier to the one I have :) It was the all in one form factor that suited me and who really gives a rats arse seeing your GPSDO reads 10Meg using it's own data fed into a $1 micro and $2 display as it is meaningless.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GPSDO-10MHz-GPS-Disciplined-Clock-3-sine-and-3-square-wave-2-1PPS-Send-GPS-ante/253375324294?hash=item3afe58a086:g:J~YAAOSwp7taabo4:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

EDIT: Just checked this link is to the same seller and the same price as per March 2018.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 09:20:27 am by beanflying »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23531 on: January 25, 2019, 09:19:27 am »
Thanks! Also 280 Oz bucks vs 199 US bucks...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23532 on: January 25, 2019, 09:21:19 am »
You know, we all have our hobbies and obsessions. I have TEA but at least I have a life beyond that. My next door neighbor? Not so much. He's a hard core gamer. I can hear him hootin and yelling ALL night as him and his friends “destroy” something. And he's the perfect stereotype gamer.

Is 30+ years old.
Lives with his mother (Who BTW is fat, ugly, loud and just plain nasty) :rant:
Doesn't work other than once in a while drives a local taxi.
Is pushing about 400 pounds. Has to wear baggy stretch shorts even in Winter because he can't find pants that fit.  :--
Probably collects some sort of disability which my taxes pay for.  |O
When I walk past their door it smells like a locker room. Yuck.  :o

I am so tempted to go outside one night and disconnect his cable which will take down his internet and listen for the hilarity which I'm certain will happen.  :popcorn: Probably go ape like this kid. And I'll laugh my ass off.  :-DD But the sad thing is there's so many out there like this. I fear for the future.  :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23533 on: January 25, 2019, 09:23:58 am »
Oi I am 50 and living with my Mother (most likely for very 'different' reasons) ;)

Just you leave my Aussie Slowband connection alone too  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23534 on: January 25, 2019, 09:25:32 am »
Install one of these on his connection instead of cutting it: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-lag-switch-817481  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23535 on: January 25, 2019, 09:30:03 am »
Install one of these on his connection instead of cutting it: https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-lag-switch-817481  >:D

Can't. The cable coming into the complex then into splitters for each apartment is RG-6 coax.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23536 on: January 25, 2019, 09:31:33 am »
On another topic altogether...one of my resolutions now that I've almost finished my degree (computer science focusing on cybersecurity, MS) is to get serious about being an EE autodidact (which is partially the reason for TEA, but I also just like old boat anchors). I ended up getting AoE 3rd ed and the lab companion as a starting point. I mean it kind of was born from a "volts for dolts" course at Harvard but it's way more fun than taking formal classes and I can eventually get specific texts that do more in depth treatments of areas I'm interested in.

My undergrad is in CS and math, but damn if chapter 1.7 isn't kicking my butt. Complex analysis and differential equations was too long ago.  |O

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23537 on: January 25, 2019, 09:32:27 am »

Can't. The cable coming into the complex then into splitters for each apartment is RG-6 coax.

Awww, that's a shame. Because constant horrible lag is far more maddening than a cut. :P

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23538 on: January 25, 2019, 10:25:38 am »
On another topic altogether...one of my resolutions now that I've almost finished my degree (computer science focusing on cybersecurity, MS) is to get serious about being an EE autodidact (which is partially the reason for TEA, but I also just like old boat anchors). I ended up getting AoE 3rd ed and the lab companion as a starting point. I mean it kind of was born from a "volts for dolts" course at Harvard but it's way more fun than taking formal classes and I can eventually get specific texts that do more in depth treatments of areas I'm interested in.

My undergrad is in CS and math, but damn if chapter 1.7 isn't kicking my butt. Complex analysis and differential equations was too long ago.  |O

Good for you. Keep at it.  :-+ A goal which will certainly benefit you. Unlike my lazy ass next door neighbor.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23539 on: January 25, 2019, 10:54:21 am »
Hoping to move to a bigger house in a few months so I can have more space to spread out, then fill with test equipment. :-DD

Yeah was also thinking of moving. But the more I organize the space In the workshop, the less I want to leave  :)

As you all know I just did a major bench expansion last month and already I feel like I'm running out of space. It seems like stuff just appears out of thin air.  ;D And I've got no room for any additional expansion unless I move but that ain't happening.  :scared:
I think its a given, once you have TEA, no matter how much space you have, you'll always find something to fill it and more  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #23540 on: January 25, 2019, 11:09:34 am »
Hoping to move to a bigger house in a few months so I can have more space to spread out, then fill with test equipment. :-DD

Yeah was also thinking of moving. But the more I organize the space In the workshop, the less I want to leave  :)

As you all know I just did a major bench expansion last month and already I feel like I'm running out of space. It seems like stuff just appears out of thin air.  ;D And I've got no room for any additional expansion unless I move but that ain't happening.  :scared:
I think its a given, once you have TEA, no matter how much space you have, you'll always find something to fill it and more  >:D

This of course being a bigger issue (pun intended) if your addiction leans to the more boat-anchor-y end of the scale (pun again intended) of the breed.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23541 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:03 am »

Check appendix A in the book - handy refresher. There was a 20 year gap between learning it and using it here so I know how you feel. On a positive note it's less painful when you revisit it than when you first learn it.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23542 on: January 25, 2019, 12:22:13 pm »
You know, we all have our hobbies and obsessions. I have TEA but at least I have a life beyond that. My next door neighbor? Not so much. He's a hard core gamer. I can hear him hootin and yelling ALL night as him and his friends “destroy” something. And he's the perfect stereotype gamer.

Is 30+ years old.
Is pushing about 400 pounds. Has to wear baggy stretch shorts even in Winter because he can't find pants that fit.  :--

I am so tempted to go outside one night and disconnect his cable which will take down his internet and listen for the hilarity which I'm certain will happen.  :popcorn: Probably go ape like this kid. And I'll laugh my ass off.  :-DD But the sad thing is there's so many out there like this. I fear for the future.  :palm:

Well, maybe it's going to help you out knowing that because of the fine gentlemen you are describing and his distinguished friends, I can afford a comfortable live surrounded by TEA (I make games for a living)  :)

It's the circle of life. All money end up to TEA  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23543 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:49 pm »

Is 30+ years old.

Well, maybe it's going to help you out knowing that because of the fine gentlemen you are describing and his distinguished friends, I can afford a comfortable live surrounded by TEA (I make games for a living)  :)

It's the circle of life. All money end up to TEA  :-DD

That does help a little. Now if only he would take a fucking bath so the hallway wouldn't stink.  :rant:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23544 on: January 25, 2019, 01:03:58 pm »

Is 30+ years old.

Well I hope for your sake that he isn't a lurker on this forum as well because if he is he'll know you by your photos of yourself and the view from your window and then you might end up needing the help of your good ladies services in a professional role. You never know, the stink in the hallway might be something with the last person who complained  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:06:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23545 on: January 25, 2019, 02:18:41 pm »
Ha, chances of that happening are none to none.  ;D And the stink in the hallway ain't "dead" stink...it's dirty funk stink.  :phew:

And I can take care of myself. I have protection. We'll leave it at that!  >:D

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #23546 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:12 pm »
My Shack has a commercial fridge in it so I don't have a problem with fan noise  ::)

Nice, just a bar fridge here but it serves my purpose.  I can have anywhere from 2 to 4 computers running at the same time.  Can't hear them over the ceiling fan, however, the loudest fan in the room is the fan on the Netgear gigabit switch. :-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23547 on: January 25, 2019, 02:54:15 pm »
Ha, chances of that happening are none to none.  ;D And the stink in the hallway ain't "dead" stink...it's dirty funk stink.  :phew:

You can only assume this guy also has "protection".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23548 on: January 25, 2019, 03:51:48 pm »

You can only assume this guy also has "protection".
And it isn't antiperspirant either[emoji16]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23549 on: January 25, 2019, 05:04:52 pm »

There was a guy at my school several years ago (fortunately I never lived in the dorms when I was on campus) who refused to bathe and claimed it was because he was allergic to soap. Well, some guys got fed up with him (he was literally THE reason that particular dorm smelled like sweaty b@11s4ck) and they pinned him to his bed and sprayed him with febreze.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf