Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15611169 times)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23575 on: January 25, 2019, 11:55:32 pm »
Oh yeah, I considered those things. Just was wondering if anybody knew about a new scam that can outwit even the next-level paranoid ass-covering that I engaged in above after my 3rd non-paying iPwn buyer in a row.  :palm:

mnem
 :o

If you accurately described the item, including the IMEI lock status, you will be fine. Check that the buyer is PayPal confirmed/verified , and you're golden. I haven't heard of any new hustles and I know them ALL for iPhones (as if my eBay name didn't give that info away). Someone may recycle the chips or try to get a warranty claim with a different IMEI if they switch the chips themselves.

***edit: for those who don't know, even that trash 'piece of shit' he sold IS STILL WORTH ~ $300 in chips, you just have to know the people who want them. The frame and LCD are the cheapest parts of these phones***
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:09:15 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23576 on: January 25, 2019, 11:56:49 pm »
If anyone else here is thinking about making one of those Mr Carlson's Super Probes, you might like to hang on a bit. He is redesigning it and will be releasing details of it this year on his Patreon channel only.

I'm suspicious of the utility of anything that comes from that direction. A lot of it is wank.

I take it from that comment then that you never watched that video I linked to? The thing actually works very well and could even be of use to you with the radio waves, seeking out the source of the noise in the circuits and not just you blowing things up  :-DD

I agree with Spec. I've watch many of Paul Carlson's videos and the guy knows his shit. And he explains stuff well so even a novice can understand. And I drool when I look at his bench and all the old iron.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23577 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:39 am »
Second that - the guy is first rate ( edit: more accurately, I "3rd it") :-DD
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:19:08 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23578 on: January 26, 2019, 12:12:01 am »
I'd kill for a lab his, he has just about anything you could wish for and as for boat anchors, well your totally spoilt.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:15:43 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23579 on: January 26, 2019, 12:19:46 am »
Oh yeah, I considered those things. Just was wondering if anybody knew about a new scam that can outwit even the next-level paranoid ass-covering that I engaged in above after my 3rd non-paying iPwn buyer in a row.  :palm:

mnem
 :o
If you accurately described the item, including the IMEI lock status, you will be fine. Check that the buyer is PayPal confirmed/verified , and you're golden. I haven't heard of any new hustles and I know them ALL for iPhones (as if my eBay name didn't give that info away). Someone may recycle the chips or try to get a warranty claim with a different IMEI if they switch the chips themselves.

LOL... it's smashed to FUCK, dead as a doorknob and has the battery removed; it is DOA, non-responsive. This is documented in grisly detail with photos out the wazoo and detailed description as such, and that I assume it is probably CloudLocked.  imei24 still says it's clean.

Money is already in my account. It's on its way to him. Hopefully that is all there is to it.  :-+

mnem
Church.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23580 on: January 26, 2019, 12:27:00 am »
Yes like this one I forgot to bid on the other day  :palm: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183646136802

I only wanted the 3478A as I can shift one for £175 I reckon and then use that cash to buy something better :D
Wow, someone got a good deal there. I actually feel sorry for the seller. How on Earth are there no more bids on that?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23581 on: January 26, 2019, 12:42:54 am »
Yes like this one I forgot to bid on the other day  :palm: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183646136802

I only wanted the 3478A as I can shift one for £175 I reckon and then use that cash to buy something better :D
Wow, someone got a good deal there. I actually feel sorry for the seller. How on Earth are there no more bids on that?
I had it on my watch list, the seller withdrew it from sale, I'm sure that eBay said it had an error in the listing. If that's the case it might be back on sale soon.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23582 on: January 26, 2019, 01:02:19 am »
A new beast has arrived in my lab. 8568B spectrum analyzer. The RF unit shown is actually a unit that was factory converted from an A into a B. It has two serial number plates reflecting that.

In a third package, I also got the original RF unit (second pic) I had bought which failed on the bench when the guy tested it prior to shipping. So I have a complete working set and a troubleshooting project. The seller did some troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a few areas. So I'll be looking for a donor RF unit that works so I can swap parts (probably later). Will share pics of that process once I get to it. It has a bad attenuator and a mysterious source of noise that crops up after running it in max hold for a while.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23583 on: January 26, 2019, 01:20:52 am »

I GOTCHER BOAT ANCHERRZ RIGHT HEAHHH!!!     :-DD

mnem
*furry balls plopped menacingly on the table*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23584 on: January 26, 2019, 01:30:59 am »
Boat anchor is right! This thing weighs a ton.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23585 on: January 26, 2019, 01:47:06 am »
A new beast has arrived in my lab. 8568B spectrum analyzer. The RF unit shown is actually a unit that was factory converted from an A into a B. It has two serial number plates reflecting that.

In a third package, I also got the original RF unit (second pic) I had bought which failed on the bench when the guy tested it prior to shipping. So I have a complete working set and a troubleshooting project. The seller did some troubleshooting and narrowed it down to a few areas. So I'll be looking for a donor RF unit that works so I can swap parts (probably later). Will share pics of that process once I get to it. It has a bad attenuator and a mysterious source of noise that crops up after running it in max hold for a while.
That's an area where that super probe from Mr Carlson would come in very handy in sniffing out that noise, right down to the failing component.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23586 on: January 26, 2019, 01:58:11 am »

That's an area where that super probe from Mr Carlson would come in very handy in sniffing out that noise, right down to the failing component.

Great point, hadn't even thought of that.  :-+

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23587 on: January 26, 2019, 04:20:50 am »
HP TEA time. Some go to the bar, some go to the club, I sip my T.E.A.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23588 on: January 26, 2019, 04:36:12 am »
Sexy.  :-+

Been wanting one of those 8640s. The only weakness is that mechanical front panel.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23589 on: January 26, 2019, 04:48:10 am »
Just wish I knew how to use it. Learning is the fun part though and I think I am going to get some help...

This setup is noisy though, the fans need an upgrade in all three units.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23590 on: January 26, 2019, 04:53:29 am »
Yeah, the 8568B had double the noise since both halves have a powerful fan.

The 8640B is well worth it. IIRC it has a cavity oscillator (part of the reason it weighs so much) and makes *very* clean cw.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23591 on: January 26, 2019, 05:01:48 am »
If I may ask, what "band" do I set the RF side to, so I can get the 7.1mV from the CAL OUT to display correctly?

the CAL out is -30db, 7.1mV, 30MHz on the 8552B IF scetion thats installed now. I just want to see the band like the pics above, from the other HP SPec, on this unit.

*** I told you I have no idea how to use this unit, I wasnt joking.***

If someone knows offhand without having to refer to the manual, and please dont reply, refer to manual..lol.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23592 on: January 26, 2019, 05:14:21 am »
I don't have particular experience with that SA, but on every one I've ever used, the cal out signal is available all the time, just have to connect a cable up to the RF input.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23593 on: January 26, 2019, 05:20:20 am »
Not even sure this unit functions as it should so I am trying to learn it. heres my set-up. The "band-button" is what throws me off trying to get it set correctly to see the CAL_OUT.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23594 on: January 26, 2019, 05:21:53 am »
I need Mr. Martin.M and his wisdom.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23595 on: January 26, 2019, 05:24:51 am »
For those of you having problems with your vintage knobs make and fit a new one  ;)

https://youtu.be/aNBHtlhlHF4
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23596 on: January 26, 2019, 05:29:15 am »
Not even sure this unit functions as it should so I am trying to learn it. heres my set-up. The "band-button" is what throws me off trying to get it set correctly to see the CAL_OUT.

Ah, I think I understand. You can't get it to switch bands? Again, never used that SA before, but my guess is the button is supposed to toggle through each band sequentially? http://mailman.pe1itr.com/pipermail/moon-net/2016-October/029146.html

Apparently you should be hearing relays as you cycle through the bands. If you don't you have a problem.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23597 on: January 26, 2019, 05:40:18 am »
thank you, so of the 14 "band" positions, I get only three relay clicks. there are as follows:

n=10+ (22.6-43) to n=1- (1.5-3.5) ; relay

n=1+ (2.6-4.5) to n=1- (0-2.0); relay

n=4+(10.5-18) to n=6- (10.4-22); relay

So the RF plug in has some issues.

I will install the other 8553B and C what I can C
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:41:51 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23598 on: January 26, 2019, 05:42:53 am »
No problem. Sounds like you've discovered the issue, fingers crossed it won't be too hard to fix. :)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23599 on: January 26, 2019, 06:07:55 am »
No problem. Sounds like you've discovered the issue, fingers crossed it won't be too hard to fix. :)

probably not something that I can get into tonight...which is a shame because I was stoked to play with this unit. Maybe time to evilBay some additional plug-ins

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf