Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406422 times)

Zoli, Carl_Smith and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 11:29:55 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23776 on: January 28, 2019, 11:46:10 pm »
So shit, I made contact, lets see where this goes...maybe my largest TEA (to keep bill) happens today! Oh hell, my palms are sweaty. (Note to self: don't drink and shop).

**update: well the guy/gal either got real busy or blew me off. No reply on any front... So as anxious as I am to get this done, I think a brand new 7510 may be in my future! Hard to argue with brand new..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:01:52 am by Inverted18650 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23777 on: January 29, 2019, 01:05:27 am »
It's only Money - Just DO IT   :-DD

Today's arrival my First 'working' Analogue Scope  :o 20Meg of awesomeness in need of some tweakage but crisp and clean and a 'proper' XY mode to play with. Very clean on the outside at least.

Wonder if the Video will be flagged for the Big Clive sound track  :scared:
https://youtu.be/nV6FLoMKz60
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23778 on: January 29, 2019, 01:15:35 am »
Mmmm, that CRT goodness.  :-+

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23779 on: January 29, 2019, 01:17:21 am »
You should create a new XY logo..that CRT is crisp

the 7510 is 4270 from mouser... fuck it, cant die with it. >:D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:19:05 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23780 on: January 29, 2019, 01:20:06 am »
Hmmm... I've never seen that Protek logo before... and I've bought a lot of their gear. Maybe a non-US variant?  :-//

mnem
*Currently clearing space on the bench for that V200 case*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23781 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:24 am »
You should create a new XY logo..that CRT is crisp

the 7510 is 4270 from mouser... fuck it, cant die with it. >:D

To put that figure in perspective... I bought the car I've been driving for the last 7 years for $1500 with 68K on the odometer. I've recently been looking at a number of 6-7 year-old Dodge Chargers in the $4K price range.

mnem
moo.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23782 on: January 29, 2019, 01:24:33 am »
It is actually a Parameters brand which is the same guts as the USA Protek made by the now defunct Hung Chang company from Korea  :o Think I got that right.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23783 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:20 am »
It's only Money - Just DO IT   :-DD

Today's arrival my First 'working' Analogue Scope  :o 20Meg of awesomeness in need of some tweakage but crisp and clean and a 'proper' XY mode to play with. Very clean on the outside at least.

Wonder if the Video will be flagged for the Big Clive sound track  :scared:
https://youtu.be/nV6FLoMKz60

Man, the black age a lot better the beige everybody was using!

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23784 on: January 29, 2019, 01:31:32 am »

To put that figure in perspective... I bought the car I've been driving for the last 7 years for $1500 with 68K on the odometer. I've recently been looking at a number of 6-7 year-old Dodge Chargers in the $4K price range.

mnem
moo.

yeah but I have a 'mini CAL LAB' that needs a proper test unit. Gotta have a NIST & current CAL at least 7.5 digits res, hard to find under a few k.

but I grew up much like you (I read your other threads) with no money and hand me downs...not that I am rich now, but if i need something, and not just want something, its worth it to me and I fought long and hard (literally) to be able to do it.

Ill probably sell it all within 6 months and decide I want to play with freq STD's...haha...or decide Id rather go surfing and let it all rot in storage.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23785 on: January 29, 2019, 01:33:41 am »
It is actually a Parameters brand which is the same guts as the USA Protek made by the now defunct Hung Chang company from Korea  :o Think I got that right.

mnem
 :-DD

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23786 on: January 29, 2019, 01:56:03 am »

Man, the black age a lot better the beige everybody was using!

It was part of the attraction Black and I will use Black for the Curve Tracer Enclosure when I get it done. Still trying to chase up a service manual for it specifically but it is a close cousin of the Protek P-3502C or 6502 which I have user manuals for. There is a non regular forum member here who seems to have one I will chase up too.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23787 on: January 29, 2019, 02:10:27 am »
what is the biggest difference between a Keithley 2001 and the 2010? If i were going to drop 1k+ on a meter, anything else I should consider? maybe save a litte and just get the champ in the 3458?
What are you realistically going to do with a 3458A? It may be worth looking at modern comforts like a graphing LCD screen. I'm fairly happy with VFD meters hooked up to a computer, but I can imagine that's not as convenient in every situation. If I were to buy another multimeter, that would probably be the priority over more digits. It being able to do more reading per second might be another thing I'd look at.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23788 on: January 29, 2019, 02:46:15 am »
the 7510 looks like the winner, its in the cart just haven't pulled the trigger. All I really need it for it to calibrate all these DC CALS so I can reliably use them as transfer units. what VFD are you using? I really like the idea of being able to use KickStart (keithley fanboy) and running script for most tests but I havent pulled the trigger hoping someone else, like you, talks me into something under 2k

I have a couple K2000 VFDs and the displays aren't great but I was able to send a bit more current to them both to compensate for age (a thread here) and they work but I still use the NI drivers with LabView to run the script. Well did, I recently sold the K-GPIB connector and havent done anything productive in my shop in nearly a year.

Basically I am coming back out of a bout of depressive haze that kept me sidelined, fell into this lot, and I am going from there. Until this lot I spent most of my time trying to learn C+ for embedded and was playing with a STM micro.

edit(2)*** a bunch of words to say, I am building a small CAL LAB and want to be able to verify 6.5 DMMs and some of the other gear I buy and sell, with a great confidence, when I say "within spec".
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:04:31 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23789 on: January 29, 2019, 02:49:34 am »
Welp, the Thermaltake V200 is here... and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. I know they're a cheap Dongguan manufacturer, born of a cheap Taipei manufacturer... but everything I ever bought from them always felt like... twice as good as the money I spent. This case feels like $39 Rosewill that nobody would buy until it went down to $29. Shipped.  :palm:

It wants to look like a better case... but everything is half-assed and nothing is "finished". All the wiring for buttons and ports in the top edge of the case hangs down into the space where the fans are, and there's nothing there but open framework. You can see around the outsides of the fans directly into the case, and you can see those wires too. It depends on the smoked acrylic front panel to hide that multitude of sins... which fails miserably.

In a word: Jank.

*Sigh*

mnem
This is gonna be at least a 3 flagon move...   |O
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:54:52 am by mnementh »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23790 on: January 29, 2019, 02:58:28 am »
Welp, the Thermaltake V200 is here... and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed. I know they're a cheap Dongguan manufacturer, born of a cheap Taipei manufacturer... but everything I ever bought from them always felt like... twice as good as the money I spent. This case feels like $39 Rosewill that nobody would buy until it went down to $29. Shipped.  :palm:

It wants to look like a better case... but everything is half-assed and nothing is "finished". All the wiring for buttons and ports in the top edge of the case hangs down into the space where the fans are, and there's nothing there but open framework. You can see around the outsides of the fans directly into the case, and you can see those wires too. It depends on the smoked acrylic front panel to hide that multitude of sins... which fails miserably.

In a word: Jank.

*Sigh*

mnem

Damn man, that SUCKS. You were pretty fired up about that build. Fucking get to NewEgg and get a case thats reps the built unit inside of it, send that fucker back man.

edit: here is a sic case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853067&ignorebbr=1
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 03:06:39 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23791 on: January 29, 2019, 04:48:22 am »
Anybody able to read German ?

My Rohde&Schwarz SMPD (Signal generator) is giving me error 6 now. So error 6 is "FM oscillator cannot synchronize". So I took the FM stage out to investigate and got that sticker on the side.  :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23792 on: January 29, 2019, 04:59:48 am »
Welp, the Thermaltake V200 is here... and I have to say, I'm underwhelmed... (SNIP)

mnem
Damn man, that SUCKS. You were pretty fired up about that build. Fucking get to NewEgg and get a case thats reps the built unit inside of it, send that fucker back man.

edit: here is a sic case: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853067&ignorebbr=1

It's not that bad... the thing has started to grow on me. The fans are super slow... near silent. Which I like VERY MUCHLY.  ;D And while I generally loathe "breathing" type lighting effects... with these fans, the PWM stroboscopic effect on the blades is utterly mesmerizing.  :o

Now that I grok in fullness what I've allowed to happen here; it may be even WORSE.  ??? I THINK I've figured out how I can shoehorn my hot-swap drive bay in the FRONT of the unit... but I have to hinge the front acrylic panel.  Which as you can see, it does sortof lend itself to this treatment already... :palm:

You know there's no stopping it now... I've already started mocking up, and the thermometer's in there. ::) |O :scared:  >:D

mnem
Ifni save me from myself.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23793 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:07 am »
Get it done brotha...really doesnt look bad...the plexi could use a touch but youll get it right man. You can always rewire the fans and lights to pulse at whatever signal you send them too

On another note: I said TO HELL WITH IT and I am the proud new owner of the brand new Keithley DMM7510..pics when it arrives!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:03:44 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23794 on: January 29, 2019, 05:04:57 am »
Fine then! I'll send Pikachu over to charge you up when it's done giving me my hummer.
You'd be amazed what those little bastards will do to sell a pre-release build box set.  :-DD

mnem
*Juicy*
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:07:38 am by mnementh »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23795 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:43 am »
lol...I picture you with a case like the mic stand from the band Korn, metal, some sharp edges, but sophisticated and smooth at seams, all at same time.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23796 on: January 29, 2019, 05:18:35 am »
Get it done brotha...really doesnt look bad...the plexi could use a touch but youll get it right man. You can always rewire the fans and lights to pulse at whatever signal you send them too.

Oh, the glass side and acrylic front both still have their films on. And the RGB controller in this case also supports the RGB PWM standard currently used by most major MB manufacturers. I'm just not ready to give up on my old 1055T YET.  But I AM already trying to figure out how to make the thermo dim with the fan lights.  |O Depends; if the display controller is open-sink, I can do it by adjusting the common cathode voltage. If it's constant-current, will require PWM modulation which could make operation pretty flaky.

mnem
*Irreversibly Contaminated*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23797 on: January 29, 2019, 05:19:16 am »

Hey, I resemble that remark. The Media PC is in the $39 Rosewill case.  ;D I didn't find it to be feel cheap or poorly built. Everything fit as designed with minimal hassle. Granted, that was my first and, so far, only scratch built PC so I really don't have anything to compare it to but I'm satisfied with it's overall construction and there's been no issues in almost 4 years.  :-// 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23798 on: January 29, 2019, 05:21:51 am »
I am a fan of Lian Li aluminum cases. They have great fit and finish and are lightweight. Perfect for a tower that may have to get moved any at all.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23799 on: January 29, 2019, 05:28:24 am »
I am a fan of Lian Li aluminum cases. They have great fit and finish and are lightweight. Perfect for a tower that may have to get moved any at all.

Oh hell yeah, this is SEXY.   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFST88T0454&Description=lian%20li&cm_re=lian_li-_-11-112-588-_-Product

great tip, thanks mate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf