Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786933 times)

BrianInTexas, Robert763, wkb and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23900 on: January 30, 2019, 02:40:54 am »
Confirmed, reformed and resigned to being outclassed by several orders of magnitude, knowing that I live on the same earth as Michael Bay.  :-DD

mnem

LOL I'm stealing that pic!  >:D

NOT-A-FLAMETHROWER Only $2000

mnem
Actually, it isn't a flamethrower. It's nothing more than a rosebud with a very small tank.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #23901 on: January 30, 2019, 02:43:05 am »
Yeah... move to Toronto. So I can move in next to you and mooch.  >:D I'll bring maple sausage and fried eggs if you grind & brew.   ;D

mnem
There's too much blood in my caffeine circulatory system right now...  :o

I have been in Chicago when the Northerlies came in from Canada sorry but NFW. But the house next door to me is up for grabs at present and it is just slightly warm at 33C might mean 2pm is Beer O'Clock after I have been to the PO to pick up Dotty the Counter  8)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23902 on: January 30, 2019, 03:33:29 am »
How do I know? I nuked literally hundreds of CRTs in the dump with everything from RC battery packs on the heater to BB guns to firecrackers on the end of the neck (VERY satisfying) and gasoline poured on and lit from a distance.

I've cracked the neck of a couple of old CRTs in my day - but I did make one effort for something dramatic...

It was in the early days of the "Waste transfer station" and long before eWaste was a thing.  I took along a 21" monochrome CRT and stood at the side of the dumping zone looking down at the steel floor of the compacting mechanism, as the crusher had just retreated.  I checked for other people in the vicinity and then launched the tube into the air face down, with some spin to keep the orientation.  I watched it descend in the arc I had hoped and land flat on its face some 5m or so below - but it only made the sort of sound you would get from a brick landing heavily.  No kaboom, no noticeable pop.  Most disappointing.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23903 on: January 30, 2019, 03:51:25 am »
So Dotty is a boring old thing. Flicked her 230V switch and turned her on and she is just sitting there purring if only it was always that easy   ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23904 on: January 30, 2019, 04:23:48 am »
Für Martin.M.

Sir, wenn Sie dieses Gerät testen, reparieren oder einfach nur nutzen möchten, wenn es genau so funktioniert wie es sollte; schreiben Sie mir bitte. Ich würde es ihnen dann zukommen lassen. Ich kann mir keine bessere Person vorstellen welche mit diesem Gerät tüfteln könnte. Dies ist kein Angebot zum Kauf, ich möchte es ihnen schenken, wenn Sie es nutzen können.

Viele Grüsse, Chris
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:35:45 am by Inverted18650 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23905 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:35 am »
I love Tektronix gear, I really do, but some of their UI design on stuff other than oscilloscopes is just plain bad.

In other news, I'm reading through the 8568B user and programming manual and discovering that this is one hell of an instrument, even more than I knew.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23906 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:58 am »
I was thinking that 8568 was a bad mofo...keep the pics coming mate...I dig it, even if I seem lost in the other lot, I am always watching for your updates

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23907 on: January 30, 2019, 04:41:02 am »
No Glove No Love  :scared:

Did some tool less Liposuction on her and seems there is a bit of disease including some corroded wire inside. Time to see what I can clean this lot of crusty crystals all over the metalwork up with before a LiPo Retrofit.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23908 on: January 30, 2019, 04:47:22 am »
I was thinking that 8568 was a bad mofo...keep the pics coming mate...I dig it, even if I seem lost in the other lot, I am always watching for your updates

Thanks! Right now I need to get my mitts on a donor RF unit I can rob parts from. Will definitely share more pics once that happens!

So far I've learned all kinds of trickery with markers. You can directly measure AM mod %, track a signal, automatically zoom to a signal from full span (more than one way to do this actually), do all kinds of delta measurements, frequency counter, noise measurements, and more.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #23909 on: January 30, 2019, 05:52:43 am »
No Glove No Love  :scared:

Did some tool less Liposuction on her and seems there is a bit of disease including some corroded wire inside. Time to see what I can clean this lot of crusty crystals all over the metalwork up with before a LiPo Retrofit.

A waschloth sprayed heavily with Windex (real Windex, with enough ammonia you can smell it) will neutralize the green crusties; where applicable, a toothbrush and Q-Tips well-soaked in the stuff also work magic. Use your best judgement as to where runoff will be a problem and adjust your soakliness as required.

In Other News...

For good or evil, I've cut the HDD Bay into the front of the V200 case. Now to get it bolted down. Maybe some 3DP bracketry is in order...  :scared:

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23910 on: January 30, 2019, 06:10:55 am »
Vinegar seems to be the choice as it is a Hydroxide residue. Anyhow tomorrow job the top came off beer number 2  ;D and Slim Dotty is sitting locked and tracking the last digit over a range of values.

Got NFI what to do with her long term and to good to break down maybe bodge a switchable clock option onto the display using the BCD the bus runs between the upper and lower halves :-//

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23911 on: January 30, 2019, 07:43:19 am »
He's wrong. It did not explode. You see any glass shrapnel on the ground? Nope. It imploded and the built in mesh prevented it from exploding. Now if that had been a CRT from the 1950's there would have been glass everywhere.

No, it did not. it was not an intact tube. If it was, there would have been a flash as the heater opened, nothing more. If it were merely de-nippled and full of air, nothing but a little puff of smoke from the center of the connector would happen. There had to have been some form of accelerant... WD-40 shot down through the nipple, I'd wager, now that I have a chance to think of it... for it to do that.

How do I know? I nuked literally hundreds of CRTs in the dump with everything from RC battery packs on the heater to BB guns to firecrackers on the end of the neck (VERY satisfying) and gasoline poured on and lit from a distance. I deliberately tried burning the heater on several after de-nippling, hoping some of the magic fairy dust would catch fire if I added oxygen. NOTHING.

mnem
Been dere, dunnat, burnt da shirt. While I was wearing it.
Yep, there is zero inside to burn anyway and if you turn the sound up at the beginning of that video you can hear him say some of things he has poured into the tube, including sugar.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23912 on: January 30, 2019, 07:44:35 am »
Potassium nitrate and sugar then. Done that myself a few times. Actually smoked my back garden out with it a few years back resulting in rolling eyes from the neighbours  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23913 on: January 30, 2019, 08:27:56 am »
Very Tidy for the Poms  ;D eBay auction: #312154859630

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23914 on: January 30, 2019, 08:33:18 am »
For Martin.M.,

Sir if you'd like to test and repair or just enjoy this unit if it works exactly as it should, please let me know so I can send it your way. I cannot think of a better person to analyze and play with this guy than you. This is not an offer to buy it, I want you to have it, if you can put it to use.

from Google translate: Sir, wenn Sie dieses Gerät testen und reparieren oder einfach nur genießen möchten, wenn es genau so funktioniert, wie es sollte, lassen Sie es mich bitte wissen, damit ich es Ihnen schicken kann. Ich kann mir keinen besseren Menschen vorstellen, um diesen Kerl zu analysieren und mit ihm zu spielen als Sie. Dies ist kein Angebot zum Kauf, ich möchte, dass Sie es haben, wenn Sie es nutzen können.

if any of our German friends can do better, please do. He told me his English is nichte so gute.
Prost,

Chris

That's some nice pictures buddy!

I love seeing pictures of all the older stuff, it always seems so nicely put together and thought out. I wish I understood what all the specific parts were for and their particular job in all the circuits.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23915 on: January 30, 2019, 10:03:13 am »
:popcorn:

Oh shit man, I know I sent an offer for one of these. Didnt know it was you from the forum. Ill fix it and resend my offer.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23916 on: January 30, 2019, 11:54:56 am »
Well my OCXO finally arrived and with an interesting packaging. Nope they didn't desolder it, just cut round the damn thing with a band saw  :palm:

Fingers crossed it works.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #23917 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:46 pm »
Well my OCXO finally arrived and with an interesting packaging. Nope they didn't desolder it, just cut round the damn thing with a band saw  :palm:

Fingers crossed it works.

Geez ... how much did you pay for it ?

That was cut from a TruePosition GPSDO board, as I recognized it from the LT1963A , fyi working one is relatively cheap, and one of the forum member is/was selling it too.

Attached mine bought from him while ago.

Also I suspect it had been desoldered and soldered, who knows, as the OCXO soldered pins are not rounded as the one originally soldered by the GPSDO manufacturer, watch closely and compare with mine, not sure though.  :-//
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:21:06 pm by BravoV »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23918 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:43 pm »
Not a great deal. Think it was £11 (under 15 USD). Interesting to know where it came from!

Anyway, it works. I did a quick "lunchtime bodge" to get it running at the very least. Not ideal pot for best resolution (was what was lying on the table already) or decoupling but it'll do for a quick test.

Looking good so far. A testament to the TCXO in the TF930 as much as anything but it's not budging at all once warmed up:

I have a racal 9915 with OCXO arriving Sat / early next week so that should be interesting to compare. Only 8 digit resolution however.

I think I'm becoming a time nut  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #23919 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »

By the time you start thinking this ... it's too late.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23920 on: January 30, 2019, 01:36:24 pm »
Not a great deal. Think it was £11 (under 15 USD). Interesting to know where it came from!

Anyway, it works. I did a quick "lunchtime bodge" to get it running at the very least. Not ideal pot for best resolution (was what was lying on the table already) or decoupling but it'll do for a quick test.

Looking good so far. A testament to the TCXO in the TF930 as much as anything but it's not budging at all once warmed up:

I have a racal 9915 with OCXO arriving Sat / early next week so that should be interesting to compare. Only 8 digit resolution however.

Haha hello you time nut, well now that you have mastered time, what are you going to with it all  :-DD

We always did think that the TTi TF930 was a really good bit of kit and now you have finally proved it to be a truly worthy addition to any bench :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23921 on: January 30, 2019, 01:43:09 pm »
 ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23922 on: January 30, 2019, 01:44:57 pm »
That's bd looking into the hole that he's just about to fall into, I love it well done med :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23923 on: January 30, 2019, 01:46:29 pm »
 :-DD

I'm already well into that one. It happened when I refused to buy a radio because it didn't have a TCXO in it.

Next step is to integrate it into the remains of this project:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23924 on: January 30, 2019, 01:51:50 pm »

What's the pot for?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf