Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550940 times)

Wallace Gasiewicz, materialsguy, jazzmann, cf4044 and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #23950 on: January 30, 2019, 05:15:31 pm »

I finally managed to dig some photos of my daily driver PC that has to live under my desk/bench because it is huge and I need as much working space as I can muster. I did think that the PSU was 750W but it's actually 850W so I have plenty of headroom there and do it runs really cool, I don't think I have ever heard its fan spool up and with the large 5 140mm cooling fans in the case the whole PC runs cool and very quiet.

The biggest problem is the case is that's so bloody heavy but has loads of future expansion space, I have space for 8 3.5" internal HDD, 4 x 2.5" SSD. It has 3 5.25" drive bays, 2 are filled with a Bluray rewriter and a DVD rewriter and the third has a hot swappable frame that will accept both a 3.5" HDD and either a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

I just love the cable management on this there are numerous grommets where power cables from the PSU can be taken through and routed through the back chamber which has a depth of 25mm to accommodate the cabling and the 4 SSD bays and others can be clipped to the back plate if required. Not a cheap case at all and it is the best case that I have ever purchased, I love it, the drive bays are toolless.
   Yup. that's how the V200 case is. Unfortunately, no externally accessible bays, so I find myself needing to rectify that myself. Funny you mention the dual-form-factor hot-swap bay... after I posted last night, I tripped over this on Amazon; it'll be here tomorrow.  :-DD

As well as oodles of braided sleeving so I can make everything match and tiny little dollhouse hinges for the acrylic door.  Be afraid... be very afraid... :scared:

mnem
*Hack-Hack... Mod-Mod... Cut-Bleed... Lick-Grin...*  >:D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:17:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23951 on: January 30, 2019, 05:22:03 pm »
I prefer the 21st Century pocket watch:
*Looks at his wristwatch* Ummm... yeah.

I'm semi-retired. If I need more precision that that, I'll reach for the big pocket watch; which incidentally, is also locked to that same time constant y'all are on about... :-DD

mnem
Time is a puppy begging for scraps at the Cosmic BBQ. Watch out for mommy. ;)

Wait for it... wait for it...   ;)   *Bing!*

mnem
 :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:24:01 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23952 on: January 30, 2019, 05:23:44 pm »
Yes I was backing up your assertion :)

Also I get a rash from wrist watches.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23954 on: January 30, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »
Well that's proper munted  :--

On a positive note, ish, after 2 days of Parcelforce cocking around I have some bulbs for the 475A timebase. Bought ones that were considerably smaller than the old ones because I was half asleep. This isn't a problem though really.  They're going in there either way.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23955 on: January 30, 2019, 05:32:28 pm »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #23956 on: January 30, 2019, 05:37:28 pm »
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Oszilloskop-Tektronix-222-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-defekt/202577240457

... poor little scope  |O

Poor little "used" "unable to test" FET probe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEKTRONIX-FET-PROBE-P6201/323672746913

EDIT: added image, so the vendor's (scotttrade12) wit won't be lost to posterity.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:53:08 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23957 on: January 30, 2019, 05:39:34 pm »

Gotcha.

I pretty much can't be arsed to wear a watch that I can't leave on 24/7 and swim or shower with it on. For decades that was Timex stainless steel Diver's and ironMan chronographs; then when they go bought out by the Chinese factory that manufactured for them and started making huge plastic hockey pucks to strap on your wrist, I moved on to the Fossil Blue Divers' watches. Now that Fossil has caught HockeyPuckinosis, I really like these little Misfit Shine activity trackers; they're small, weigh like 10 grams, and they don't do geolocation. They do hold up pretty well, but the TPU bands lose firmness as they age and if you don't replace them every 6 months or so, you lose the little hockey puck from inside the band. I'm fine with that. They're cheap enough now to be considered disposable tech.

Except... recently I read online that Google is collaborating with Fossil, who now owns MisFit... about a product line that incorporates their fitness tracker watch functionality. If they make it so you can't turn off the geolocation and feeding data back to mommy, I may have to start buying regular stupid watches again.  :palm:

mnem
Purge Google.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23959 on: January 30, 2019, 05:42:06 pm »
I live up the road (3 miles) from National Physics Laboratory aka everything-nut central. I reckon hanging around in the local pubs may be a profitable exercise, at least in the long term  :-DD

http://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetics/electrical-quantum-standards/

I have a university friend that works there.i have suggested NPL should duplicate the PTB's outreach at the Hannover maker fairs, without success.

Get a transfer standard, have a short break in Hannover. Cheaper than getting RS to do something like calibrate it :)

And as Specmaster found out, RS can't actually calibrate anything anyway  :-DD

Indeed. Let me just say that I asked RS a few simple questions, and the responses were sufficient to persuade me to go to Hannover :)
And I reckon the answer will come back that the 87V was still within Cal so you'll have just wasted your, money  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23960 on: January 30, 2019, 05:42:29 pm »
Gotcha.

I pretty much can't be arsed to wear a watch that I can't leave on 24/7 and swim or shower with it on. For decades that was Timex stainless steel Diver's and ironMan chronographs; then when they go bought out by the Chinese factory that manufactured for them and started making huge plastic hockey pucks to strap on your wrist, I moved on to the Fossil Blue Divers' watches. Now that Fossil has caught HockeyPuckinosis, I really like these little Misfit Shine activity trackers; they're small, weigh like 10 grams, and they don't do geolocation. They do hold up pretty well, but the TPU bands lose firmness as they age and if you don't replace them every 6 months or so, you lose the little hockey puck from inside the band. I'm fine with that. They're cheap enough now to be considered disposable tech.

Except... recently I read online that Google is collaborating with Fossil, who now owns MisFit... about a product line that incorporates their fitness tracker watch functionality. If they make it so you can't turn off the geolocation and feeding data back to mommy, I may have to start buying regular stupid watches again.  :palm:

mnem
Purge Google.
Given the track record, I honestly don't trust anything with ties to Google to be properly turned off when instructed to do so. There have been too many accidental and not so accidental instances of devices sending data home after having been instructed otherwise.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #23961 on: January 30, 2019, 05:43:12 pm »
I have buyed that in .fr
looks now much better

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #23962 on: January 30, 2019, 05:45:24 pm »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #23963 on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:13 pm »
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Oszilloskop-Tektronix-222-Digital-Storage-Oscilloscope-defekt/202577240457

... this parrot is dead.

... But but but - it can't be. The fleabay definition of "used" is
Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #23964 on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:31 pm »
this was the original 222 I have buyed last year.  Also horror with the batteries ,,

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23965 on: January 30, 2019, 05:53:57 pm »
Gotcha.

mnem
Purge Google.
Given the track record, I honestly don't trust anything with ties to Google to be properly turned off when instructed to do so. There have been too many accidental and not so accidental instances of devices sending data home after having been instructed otherwise.

Yeah, that's true of any of these little electronic marvels we all use as a "hindbrain", no matter who made the Ifni-damned little spy-daemons. Problem is that the only way to not use one anymore is to not live as a member of modern society, and by doing that, you aren't part of the usergroup that by definition drives and forces the changes in law and civil rights that must eventually happen.

So you can either use them and be activist about your rights to privacy, or you can not use them and lose out in two different ways. Or you can void your warranty on several hundred dollars of hardware and munt the WiFi & GPS chips, which phone will then pester you constantly that they've been munted.  :-DD

mnem
We're still fighting wars over lines on a map and burning shit to make electricity, just because it makes a few dozen families richer than God. THAT is how "Advanced" our civilization is.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23966 on: January 30, 2019, 05:54:18 pm »
I prefer the 21st Century pocket watch:

I prefer the 21st century wrist watch, only needs a glance  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #23967 on: January 30, 2019, 05:55:27 pm »

... this parrot is dead.

Used: An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.

... in this peculiar case the proper wording is *mis*used by some electronics illiterate.  :wtf:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23968 on: January 30, 2019, 05:56:58 pm »

... this parrot is dead.

Somebody cut its little pecker off. If it isn't dead, it might as well be.  :-DD

mnem
Yes, I do occasionally think with something besides my pecker. I have a perfectly functioning arse to think with as well, thank you.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23969 on: January 30, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »

That is actually a nice little scope and is ideal for audio work both on the bench or in the field so to speak.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23970 on: January 30, 2019, 06:02:54 pm »

Gotcha.

mnem
Purge Google.
Exactly why I wear a proper watch.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #23971 on: January 30, 2019, 06:06:06 pm »
I hope I don't embarrass or offend the individual responsible but I feel I need to do this. I had mentioned to them that I was interested in purchasing a Tek 7A18A that they had in their collection. Instead this afternoon these 3 plug-ins show up at my doorstep. 7A16A, 7A26A, and 7A18A. Gratis.  :-+ :-+

Inverted18650.....you are the man! Thank you!  :clap: :-+

Right now the plug ins are getting up to room temp from the freezing cold then I'm going to start testing them. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23972 on: January 30, 2019, 06:07:16 pm »
this was the original 222 I have buyed last year.  Also horror with the batteries ,,

I think you will find a video on Mr Carlson's Lab Youtube channel where he shows you how to build a battery pack for that scope that fits inside just as the original one did.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23973 on: January 30, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »

Gotcha.

mnem
Purge Google.
Exactly why I wear a proper watch.

Except you can't buy a "proper" wristwatch nowadays that isn't like strapping a fucking hockey puck on your wrist. Used to be the goals for a quality watch were accurate, quiet and thin. Now that accurate is pretty much a given even on a $7 POS, they're all the exact opposite: Big, gaudy and noisy.  :palm:

mnem
And now we've gone recursive, so now I'm gonna go eat lunch.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #23974 on: January 30, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »
I hope I don't embarrass or offend the individual responsible but I feel I need to do this. I had mentioned to them that I was interested in purchasing a Tek 7A18A that they had in their collection. Instead this afternoon these 3 plug-ins show up at my doorstep. 7A16A, 7A26A, and 7A18A. Gratis.  :-+ :-+

Inverted18650.....you are the man! Thank you!  :clap: :-+

Right now the plug ins are getting up to room temp from the freezing cold then I'm going to start testing them. 

They look to be in amazing condition too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf