Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550133 times)

factory, Vince and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24075 on: January 31, 2019, 06:19:00 pm »
about the picture from the killed Fet Probe,
I have that in the collection, complete is like this.

That brings up a great question...so I have two of these probes. One of them is just the probe, accessories missing. The other one is the complete set, brand new. However, the included ground lead is comically long for high frequencies. Do you know where I could find a shorter one that screws into the probe handle properly?

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #24076 on: January 31, 2019, 06:25:51 pm »
you are right, that is not useful for 500MHz and up.
I have some other probes where is a double pin Head, center Pin is hot and side Pin is ground.
May be that works with the long cable bec. p6201 is high impedance input. The dual pin probes are 10X (=500 ohm) and 100x (=5k)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 06:28:32 pm by Martin.M »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24077 on: January 31, 2019, 06:26:31 pm »
      Thanks for the comments, I have just got into 3D printing (Flashforge) , I have found it a bit easier than I thought it would be.
Very helpful for TEA repair of 'old classics' minus some critical part - what do people do with battery doors FFS! Or there is a discontinuity in space-time full of equipment battery compartment lids.
Yes, well... FlashForge is like Ultimaker... it's the "easy button" for 3DP. We poor Philistines will continue to be excited over the results from our inferior "homebrew" setups, and there's not a damn thing anybody can do to stop us!   >:D

But yeah... battery doors and custom equipment feet were some of of the first things that came to mind when I first started walking the edge of this slippery slope... I still have my deathgrip on that jutting root, and I am fighting with all my might to claw my way back to reality.

Of course, I have no doubt that my current computer case modding project will ensure my safe passage back into the good graces of the occupationally-normative hegemony.  :-DD

mnem
 *coughYMMVcough*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24078 on: January 31, 2019, 07:02:11 pm »

That brings up a great question...so I have two of these probes. One of them is just the probe, accessories missing. The other one is the complete set, brand new. However, the included ground lead is comically long for high frequencies. Do you know where I could find a shorter one that screws into the probe handle properly?

I know I'm showing my ignorance here, as I've never actually had occasion to use one of these probes...

If you pop off that probe prophylactic, is there a shield barrel that these can fit on? I found a vendor on AliEx that carries clones of the original Tek clips for both 3.5mm and 4.5mm barrel.

mnem
*Probulator-ey*
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:05:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24079 on: January 31, 2019, 07:27:35 pm »
Oh cool. Going to order some of them as my recent new set of tek probes missed those. Everything else was present. . Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24080 on: January 31, 2019, 07:38:01 pm »
I know I'm showing my ignorance here, as I've never actually had occasion to use one of these probes...

If you pop off that probe prophylactic, is there a shield barrel that these can fit on? I found a vendor on AliEx that carries clones of the original Tek clips for both 3.5mm and 4.5mm barrel.

mnem
*Probulator-ey*
Dave had them in a video on bypass capacitors not too long ago. It's actually longer ago than I remembered. :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24081 on: January 31, 2019, 07:43:13 pm »
Indeed. Also time to repost Linear AN47: https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an47fa.pdf

RIP Mr Williams

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24082 on: January 31, 2019, 08:04:11 pm »
Well, no... I'm not ignorant of such fundamental principles as test-induced signal degradation due to capacitive coupling, ringing and common-mode noise; I understand why we use these clips.  :palm:

I've just never used one of this older Tek family of FET probes in person so I didn't know if they had the shield barrel on them; I figured it was possible Tek took a different approach with these particular probes.   :o

[EDIT]

I also figured it was possible they used the less-common 4.5mm barrel, and wanted to pass on that I'd found an aftermarket source for those clips that wasn't this kind of crazy expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Test-Electronics-CT3672-Oscilloscope/dp/B009QBSSKS

30 bucks a set adds up QUICK!!!    :scared:

[/EDIT]

mnem
D'oh!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:10:15 pm by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #24083 on: January 31, 2019, 08:22:36 pm »
My graph insists on being linear, while it really should be a curve. I'm so fed up with this I'm inclined to do some paperwork instead. :palm:

Okay, despite all my efforts to ensure it wasn't a scaling issue it was a scaling issue. Why is it always the simple things?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:26:14 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline grbk

• Contributor
« Reply #24084 on: January 31, 2019, 08:26:43 pm »
I also figured it was possible they used the less-common 4.5mm barrel, and wanted to pass on that I'd found an aftermarket source for those clips that wasn't this kind of crazy expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Cal-Test-Electronics-CT3672-Oscilloscope/dp/B009QBSSKS

30 bucks a set adds up QUICK!!!    :scared:

For what it's worth, MSRP on these is $14 and you can get them for that price from Digikey. Not sure why Amazon thinks list price is $70.

Cal Test has a whole range of Tek 3.5mm probe accesories that are more-or-less reasonably priced: http://www.caltestelectronics.com/ctitem/#!/35-35mm-probe-accessories/

They're designed for their P6139A equivalent but I've tried a lot of them on my set of P6137 probes and they work well.

edit: fix broken url parsing
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:29:05 pm by grbk »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24085 on: January 31, 2019, 08:45:12 pm »
@mnen, thanks for posting the details about those probe connectors, I'll be ordering some of those myself shortly,  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24086 on: January 31, 2019, 09:11:56 pm »

mnem
*Probulator-ey*

Hmmm, so THAT's what that thing is for...it came with one. Of course, it's predicated on there being a close ground available.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24087 on: January 31, 2019, 09:28:09 pm »

If you have a few days for me to look for, I might have a spare. Could you verify the thread?
I have some Tek ground leads with threaded end, but I am not sure if there was only one type.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24088 on: January 31, 2019, 09:42:32 pm »

mnem
*Probulator-ey*

Hmmm, so THAT's what that thing is for...it came with one. Of course, it's predicated on there being a close ground available.

If you haven't got a nearby ground, you have bigger problems than not having such a probe tip!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24089 on: January 31, 2019, 09:44:20 pm »
@inverted18650:
If he doesn't want it, I would!

@the others:
wait until I get a better digicam and I will toolp0rn you!

Want what my friend?
The self-build TM500 plugin with the multiple oscillators.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24090 on: January 31, 2019, 10:22:36 pm »

If you have a few days for me to look for, I might have a spare. Could you verify the thread?
I have some Tek ground leads with threaded end, but I am not sure if there was only one type.

I'll have to dig the box out, but I'll let you know by tomorrow.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24091 on: January 31, 2019, 10:24:22 pm »

Martin.M accepted and I am sending it his way.

"white noise" on the Tek5111
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:31:47 pm by Inverted18650 »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24092 on: January 31, 2019, 10:35:07 pm »

mnem
*Probulator-ey*

For those who haven't you need to  :-+

https://youtu.be/2vzvWUqUtb8
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24093 on: January 31, 2019, 10:55:45 pm »

Martin.M accepted and I am sending it his way.

"white noise" on the Tek5111
That noise is green
and I did not want to see it now.
 :'(

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, capt bullshot, Inverted18650

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #24094 on: January 31, 2019, 11:09:40 pm »
... from an old RF guy: ONLY A DEAD PROBE IS A GOOD PROBE.
If you want to measure some Gigahertzy stuff accurrately, provide a defined impedance path and not some antenna/inductor/capacitor mess hack.
If you still do (I confess having made FET probes myself) dont just believe what you see. Scepticism is king !

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24095 on: January 31, 2019, 11:39:12 pm »
If you still do (I confess having made FET probes myself) dont just believe what you see. Scepticism is king !

That applies to far more than FET probes!
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24096 on: February 01, 2019, 12:11:06 am »
So far I have contracted with someone else to print or have things printed in PLA, brass, nylon and SLA. I don't know what I will use next; paper?

Hence there's no point in my getting a printer.

There; fixed that for ya.  ;)   A really big difference; I'm sorry.
Just like leasing a car is not the same as building one from the hubs up, which I've also done.  :-DD

Quote from: mnementh

I found a vendor on AliEx that carries clones of the original Tek clips for both 3.5mm and 4.5mm barrel.

mnem
*Probulator-ey*
Oh cool. Going to order some of them as my recent new set of tek probes missed those. Everything else was present. . Thanks for the heads up.
@mnem, thanks for posting the details about those probe connectors, I'll be ordering some of those myself shortly,  :-+

You're both very welcome!  :-+ Glad I could help out!

In Other News...

Various packages from Amazon were delivered today by no less than 3 different couriers... things are about to get very crunk, or very real.  :scared:

mnem
Trust no electron!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:17:26 am by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24097 on: February 01, 2019, 12:17:06 am »
So far I have contracted with someone else to print or have things printed in PLA, brass, nylon and SLA. I don't know what I will use next; paper?

Just like leasing a car is not the same as building one from the hubs up, which I've also done.  :-DD

Leasing isn't the right analogy. Owning a car vs taking a taxi is more apt.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24098 on: February 01, 2019, 12:20:25 am »
@mnem, what is that PCI card for?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24099 on: February 01, 2019, 12:26:19 am »

Leasing isn't the right analogy. Owning a car vs taking a taxi is more apt.

The more important first part of the analogy is correct; I'll concede you the latter part.  ;)

I have literally built more than one road-legal vehicle from scratch, just as I've built two different 3D printers. True, the Tornado is more of a kit, but there's still a helluva difference between building a car vs owning vs taking a taxi, just as there's a helluva difference between building and using your own printer and borrowing one.

mnem
But, since I've also built a checker Marathon from parts from the ground up... now I can say I built, drove AND took a taxi all in the same vehicle!  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf