Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555150 times)

srb1954, Vince, Aiy, wkb and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24175 on: February 01, 2019, 11:13:43 pm »

snip

More Wera screwdriver pr0n, today I received the set with PZ#1 and PZ#2, which I desperately needed.

I'm sold on these screwdrivers. I used to swear by a set of Stanley "FatMax" branded screwdrivers that I keep in my portable tool bag, but these are better made and imo have better ergonomics.
Mmmokayyyy... but what do you need with PoziDriv screwdrivers, except to ruin perfectly good Philips head screws? Do you work in some benighted subterranean shophole on the slopes of Mordor where they still use those evil things?  |O

snip
HP used pozidriv in a lot of test equipment.

Absolute proof positive of the evil thereof!!!  :-DD

mnem
You decide.  ;)

:-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24176 on: February 01, 2019, 11:16:52 pm »
There used to be either a website or forum called "FuckyouH2" where you took a pix of your finger flipping the bird at an H2 (or H3). And yep, that was the perfect vehicle for guys with a small penis.  :-DD

The H2 was actually built on a Chevy Suburban frame. And yes, the H3 was on a Chevy Blazer frame.
Nope. Avalanche. The Suburban is almost a foot longer than a H2. The AllData for the H2 refers you back to the Avalanche dataset for everything suspension and drivetrain-related.

mnem
*poit!*

Really? Gee....all my sources said Suburban. But in reality drivetrain-wise there isn't a lot of difference.

Completely different. MP transfer case vs New Venture, therefore different transmission and driveshafts as well. I can't remember on the axles; I believe the Avalanche/H2 all used CV drive in the front, but not 100% positive.

;)

mnem
*Motorhead-dwagon*
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:19:04 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24177 on: February 01, 2019, 11:22:20 pm »
Mine a '10 Range HSE Sport. Just pulled the tank and then put it back as I am done for today. Getting old, getting up and down of the concrete 100 times just is not fun anymore. Good news is the local shop has the pump assembly(the top plastic ends cracked to shit), the bad news is, a SIMPLE FUEL PUMP is $550, just becasue it says Land Rover on it. Outside normal maintenance, this is the only issue I have had with my truck so I am stoked. Its taking me all over the States problem free for 130+K miles.

edit: and an H2 is NOT a High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vechile! Its a "Hummer" not a HMMWV.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:32:34 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24178 on: February 01, 2019, 11:24:55 pm »
There used to be either a website or forum called "FuckyouH2" where you took a pix of your finger flipping the bird at an H2 (or H3). And yep, that was the perfect vehicle for guys with a small penis.  :-DD

The H2 was actually built on a Chevy Suburban frame. And yes, the H3 was on a Chevy Blazer frame.
Nope. Avalanche. The Suburban is almost a foot longer than a H2. The AllData for the H2 refers you back to the Avalanche dataset for everything suspension and drivetrain-related.

mnem
*poit!*

Really? Gee....all my sources said Suburban. But in reality drivetrain-wise there isn't a lot of difference.
Oh well whatever, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned the H2 and H3 still actually carry the brand name of Hummer. The original Hummer, the military one is real beast and has a beast like presence on the road. I've seen shit loads of those at RAF Lakenheath over here in Suffolk both on the base and around it.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:41:45 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24179 on: February 01, 2019, 11:29:53 pm »
I can go to the mil auctions and buy the beat up HMMWV's pretty cheap. I wish I could get the contract for all the used Toyota's and Land Rovers WE LEAVE everywhere we go. Its cheaper to leave them there and write them off, than it is to pay to ship them all back. There's a line of 300+ bad ass Land Rovers, right now in Bagram that will just sit there until a contractor buys them and ships them around the world...probably less than $1k each (if you don't mind the occasional bullet hole)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24180 on: February 01, 2019, 11:30:41 pm »
Original hummer is still bloody useless off road.  I towed one out of some sand on an off road course in my series 3  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24181 on: February 01, 2019, 11:31:00 pm »
Blasphemer! Get down on your knees and pray to the gods of TE; say a thousand "Hail High Voltage!"es before I wash your mouth out with soap!!!

mnem
Also, your feet stink and you don't love Jesus. (Allegedly)  :-DD
I also like the Torx and Pozi Drive screws, it's guys who don't have an adequate tool kit that fucks up the Philips heads. Always use the right tool for the job, you of all people should know that seeing as its what you always preach  >:D So for you your penance you can say 2 thousand "Hail High Voltage!"es  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24182 on: February 01, 2019, 11:32:55 pm »
Original hummer is still bloody useless off road.  I towed one out of some sand on an off road course in my series 3  :-DD
That's probably because they are just so fucking heavy that they bog down  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24183 on: February 01, 2019, 11:34:22 pm »
Exactly that! Most of the weight is probably fuel as well for the stupid engine.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24184 on: February 01, 2019, 11:34:47 pm »
I can go to the mil auctions and buy the beat up HMMWV's pretty cheap. I wish I could get the contract for all the used Toyota's and Land Rovers WE LEAVE everywhere we go. Its cheaper to leave them there and write them off, than it is to pay to ship them all back. There's a line of 300+ bad ass Land Rovers, right now in Bagram that will just sit there until a contractor buys them and ships them around the world...probably less than $1k each (if you don't mind the occasional bullet hole)
Bullet holes can be patched up easily enough.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24185 on: February 01, 2019, 11:36:33 pm »

We used them on the beach in Daytona and of course in the Military. during my "drivers training" in the military (as I had already had the 40 hr class on the beach) I got my boss to stand about 20M away and let me launch one about 1M in the air off a giant hill in our training area in Bamberg. If I can find the pics Ill post it....but thick mud, they all suck- tanks are the worst at slow speeds.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:38:11 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24186 on: February 01, 2019, 11:37:15 pm »

Thats what I'm saying, little body filler and good as new. Group buy?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24187 on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:48 pm »
Exactly that! Most of the weight is probably fuel as well for the stupid engine.
When you go on a base tour at Lakenheath, they are so proud of their Hummers as well, even state that they cost around $1,000,000 a copy (what's wrong with saying each? a copy sounds like there was only ever 1 Hummer and the rest are fake copies  :palm:) Give me a Landie anyday.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24188 on: February 01, 2019, 11:38:53 pm »

mnem
Still fuck you; for getting me into Fusion and still, VERY cordially so. ;)

:P You are welcome  :-DD I am serious about adding some webs, those verticals won't have a lot of strength if you are printing it that way up.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Inverted18650

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24189 on: February 01, 2019, 11:40:01 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24190 on: February 01, 2019, 11:42:28 pm »

My SWB in particular roof off with standard width tires still went in and got out of places others with floaty tires and 2-3000kg of V8 didn't  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24191 on: February 01, 2019, 11:44:24 pm »
So I have another Fluke 5200A (parts or repair), a Fluke PM6303, and Keithley 7510 en route for next week. I will be doing a lot of website "refreshing" watching the units get closer. The 5200 is coming from New Mexico, the RCL ,from Massachusetts, & the 7510 from Illinois.

Ive got a stack of boxes taller than, and a 2nd stack about 3ft off the floor, waiting to go out, so next week will be busy. On a good note my lady is pleased that the foyer and lving room are slowly clearing out. Ive been sending her a flower once, twice a week at work so she didnt make me carry it all upstairs ::)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:51:43 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24192 on: February 01, 2019, 11:52:49 pm »
Blasphemer! Get down on your knees and pray to the gods of TE; say a thousand "Hail High Voltage!"es before I wash your mouth out with soap!!!

mnem
Also, your feet stink and you don't love Jesus. (Allegedly)  :-DD
I also like the Torx and Pozi Drive screws, it's guys who don't have an adequate tool kit that fucks up the Philips heads. Always use the right tool for the job, you of all people should know that seeing as its what you always preach  >:D So for you your penance you can say 2 thousand "Hail High Voltage!"es  :-DD

I didn't say I don't HAVE PoziDriv; only that they're the misbegotten offspring of corporate whineassery and  design by committee and I loathe them like the Plague on Machinery that they are.  |O

Philips were designed by some really smart people on purpose to "cam out" to prevent over-tightening by assembly-line sub-primates; but coprolite bean-counters took offense to this (and the cost of making them out of decent-quality hardened steel so they WOULD cam out instead of stripping out) and so the PosiDriv was born... a bastard-child "Philips-oid" screw that you can make out of soft, cheap steel and still drive with an air driver.   :palm:

I like Torx and Robertson (square) drive just fine; but the Robertson/Philips hybrid is worse than PosiDriv.

Damn them, and those who designed them all to HELL!!!  :-DD

Fillister-head? meh.  :o

mnem
"Hail High Voltage one... Hail high Voltage two... Hail high Voltage three..."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:16:30 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24193 on: February 01, 2019, 11:55:18 pm »

It is more difficult to patch up the "...in good condition but parachute failed to open" items.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24194 on: February 01, 2019, 11:57:06 pm »

Philips were designed by some really smart people on purpose to "cam out" to prevent over-tightening by assembly-line sub-primates; but coprolite bean-counters took offense to this (and the cost of making them out of decent-quality hardened steel so they WOULD cam out instead of stripping out) and so the PosiDriv was born... a bastard-child "Philips-oid" screw that you can make out of soft, cheap steel and still drive with an air driver.   :palm:

I like Torx and Robertson (square) drive just fine; but the Robertson/Philips hybrid is worse than PosiDriv.

mnem

Dropping screw/ bolt knowledge. My background is Mechatronics, so I had to learn some of these obscure facts as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:58:53 pm by Inverted18650 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24195 on: February 02, 2019, 12:07:02 am »

mnem
Still fuck you; for getting me into Fusion and still, VERY cordially so. ;)
:P You are welcome  :-DD I am serious about adding some webs, those verticals won't have a lot of strength if you are printing it that way up.

You mean gussets, to triangulate lateral loading?

Not possible; the drive fills the entire central cavity and overhangs both ends, and I need to be able to get in there with a wrench to tighten fasteners on the flanges. There's zero loading laterally anyways; this thing fits into a cutout in the front of the case. This bracket only has to hold the equivalent of a DVDROM drive up against gravity and keep it from being pushed out the back; all of which loads are in its planes of strength.   :-+

mnem
Tomorrow I'll print some flying buttresses.  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24196 on: February 02, 2019, 12:11:52 am »

Patched UP?!? People pay millions of dollars a year for stupid plastic stickers that make their hoopty LOOK like it got in the way of a drive-by shooting... and you wanna PATCH THEM UP?!?    :scared:

Those holes aren't DAMAGE... they're FEATURES!!!   :-DD

mnem
Besides... now you have the perforations you need to run refrigerant lines for air conditioning. ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24197 on: February 02, 2019, 12:14:27 am »

mnem
Dropping screw/ bolt knowledge. My background is Mechatronics, so I had to learn some of these obscure facts as well.

Yeah... the guys at NAPA hated me. Until they discovered I worked at a garage they serviced, and started calling me for answers to their customers' questions.   :palm:

mnem
*Cammed-out*

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24198 on: February 02, 2019, 12:26:55 am »
I lost my mind when I learned the difference between how a 6pt socket fits a normal bolt vs. the "standard 12pts that are commonly sold and used.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24199 on: February 02, 2019, 12:41:07 am »
I got a request for more info on the HP8672 Sig Gen so I have to (am going to anyway) pull it back up onto the bench and play with it again. Anyone have an idea of signals I can generate to show it works well or not? DO I need the Spectrum Analuzer to see the signals or a basic scope will do? I have very little idea on how to use this bit of gear.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf