Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553784 times)

Vince, SingleBitError, HalFoster and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #24250 on: February 02, 2019, 07:04:37 am »

Okay... so who here thought being unconscious would stop me from finishing that bracket?!?

Yeah, me neither...  :-DD

I printed this up at 0.2mmLH, cranked the speed back up to the default 60mm/S, and turned off all the ironing, retrace, etc settings I'd been futzing around with trying to get that text to print. STILL took 8.5 hours due to 40% infill and 3mm thickness on all panels for screw-down-able strength.  :-+

I knew it wasn't gonna be pretty, but it is pretty firm. I can flex it in the middle, but it takes some considerable effort.   :phew:

Pretty is as pretty does.  :clap:

mnem
This time I really AM toddling off to ded.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:10:49 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24251 on: February 02, 2019, 07:07:26 am »
I was [thought I was directly] replying to bd139 about his Racal 9915 vs mine.  Long time reader, first time member.  Maybe someday the threading mechanics of this forum will become apparent, but I won't hold my breath.

A quick answer to what test equipment interest I have can be had at http://web.jlw.com/test.html .

Quick check of your link credentials - APPROVED with gear to spare  :-DD You seem to be deficient in the quantity of Multimeters so keep working on it  >:D

Not a pic to be seen. You can reply to someone by quoting them, as I have done here, or simply putting @jlw (member) ahead of your text. Not that we're all that picky, or snobby assholes who make snide coomets when greeted with a Hello and welcome, it just makes thing flow

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #24252 on: February 02, 2019, 07:09:45 am »
Oh, I didn't list the 260s I'd killed, nor a little Micronta a friend gave me in college.  I didn't mention the GPIB controller, either.

These days I can't be spending on TEA; the NTSC stuff and the flakey 3455A are a month old.  Something to do instead of what I should be doing, though.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24253 on: February 02, 2019, 07:10:56 am »

Okay... so who here thought being unconscious would stop me from finishing that bracket?!?

I printed this up at 0.2mmLH, cranked the speed back up to the default 60mm/S, and turned off all the ironing, retrace, etc settings I'd been futzing around with trying to get that text to print. STILL took 8.5 hours due to 40% infill and 3mm thickness on all panels for screw-down-able strength.  :-+

I knew it wasn't gonna be pretty, but it is pretty firm. I can flex it in the middle, but it takes some considerable effort.   :phew:

mnem

Looks very nice my friend, BUT...just kidding you killed it

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24254 on: February 02, 2019, 07:15:41 am »
Oh, I didn't list the 260s I'd killed, nor a little Micronta a friend gave me in college.  I didn't mention the GPIB controller, either.

These days I can't be spending on TEA; the NTSC stuff and the flakey 3455A are a month old.  Something to do instead of what I should be doing, though.

$ to spend or spent don't matter more about on going commitment to the cause and that you have fun along the way ;)

Take a peek in Metrology section if you are brave enough to look down that rabbit hole there really isn't a choice but to spend some $ and x10 for the next digit and x100 for the next ......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #24255 on: February 02, 2019, 07:21:59 am »

$ to spend or spent don't matter more about on going commitment to the cause and that you have fun along the way ;)

Take a peek in Metrology section if you are brave enough to look down that rabbit hole there really isn't a choice but to spend some $ and x10 for the next digit and x100 for the next ......

6 1/2 digits ought to be enough for anybody!

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24256 on: February 02, 2019, 07:27:46 am »
here's the 335D I scooped up. Its got a few issues that I have highlighted in the pics, but if these are the only problems, I am a happy camper. I already printed and saved th file for the knob_extension, and bought a handful of replacement LEDs for the front panel, from my last 335 repair. Still pretty stoked. If the Null meter section works, its big WIN.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24257 on: February 02, 2019, 07:32:56 am »

It 'should be' but not if you want to calibrate or test your 6.5-7.5 digit gear to then apply to lower speeced gear with real certainty.

The reference I quoted a few posts back will be fine for 4.5 and up to 5.5 but that is about it. The biggest issue for most home users is getting an initial reference voltage if all their gear is out of current Cal. @Med's Siglent is only a new box so it will be close to if not inside spec so it is fine to test his other lower specked gear against currently but more certainty could be had by getting it calibrated. So transferring 'his' known voltage against what his other meters read has reasonable certainty for the time being but in a few years who knows what the Siglent is actually reading.

In my case I have some 6.5+ digit gear (AC & DC standards plus several 6.5 digit meters) so I am way into the rabbit hole so it is either 7.5 or 8.5 meter in current Cal to test against some time this year.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24258 on: February 02, 2019, 07:33:10 am »

I disagree. I think we would all buy the 8.5 digit meters if we could. And hopefully someday we all can!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 07:39:02 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24259 on: February 02, 2019, 07:39:09 am »

It 'should be' but not if you want to calibrate or test your 6.5-7.5 digit gear to then apply to lower speeced gear with real certainty.

The reference I quoted a few posts back will be fine for 4.5 and up to 5.5 but that is about it. The biggest issue for most home users is getting an initial reference voltage if all their gear is out of current Cal. @Med's Siglent is only a new box so it will be close to if not inside spec so it is fine to test his other lower specked gear against currently but more certainty could be had by getting it calibrated. So transferring 'his' known voltage against what his other meters read has reasonable certainty for the time being but in a few years who knows what the Siglent is actually reading.

In my case I have some 6.5+ digit gear (AC & DC standards plus several 6.5 digit meters) so I am way into the rabbit hole so it is either 7.5 or 8.5 meter in current Cal to test against some time this year.  :palm:

I stated very clearly (somewhere  :-DD) that those references were only accurate enough to calibrate 3.5 and 4.5 digit DMM's. Once you get into 5.5 digit territory all bets are off. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24260 on: February 02, 2019, 07:44:18 am »
I stated very clearly (somewhere  :-DD) that those references were only accurate enough to calibrate 3.5 and 4.5 digit DMM's. Once you get into 5.5 digit territory all bets are off. 

Your ears burning when you should be sleeping :-DD

Have a glance at what I wrote re input impedance and check your references against low and high using the Siglent as you are effectively using them as transfer standards you did mention here somewhere you were getting discrepancy and that could be part of it between meters :)

Offline jlw

• Contributor
« Reply #24261 on: February 02, 2019, 08:25:10 am »

I guess my paraphrasing of Bill Gates was a little subtle there...

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #24262 on: February 02, 2019, 08:39:08 am »

Fuck. I knew I should've gone to bed. Changed my mind about placement of the drive; now the part I had to trim off is visible from the front cavity.  |O

Another one is already printing...  :palm:

mnem
*Knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24263 on: February 02, 2019, 08:40:14 am »
I have sufficient issues with his Windoze platform so I try and avoid listening to him as well  :horse:  ;)

Speaking of Ratios and dividers time to pull this hulk out of mothballs and put to a proper series of tests as it has been in the cupboard almost since I got it. It's about 200K across the box so very sensitive to impedance but time for a play tomorrow and see how accurate it really is.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24264 on: February 02, 2019, 08:41:59 am »

Your ears burning when you should be sleeping :-DD

Have a glance at what I wrote re input impedance and check your references against low and high using the Siglent as you are effectively using them as transfer standards you did mention here somewhere you were getting discrepancy and that could be part of it between meters :)

Can't sleep tonight because of incident I mentioned earlier with my lady but I did find out from a co-worker that she was released from the ER and is home. I know her personality and she didn't want to talk  with anyone and just go home and recover from her injuries. I'm sure she'll call me later today. 

Anyway, I did notice a loading effect if you connected more than one DMM at a time to the references. So it's imperative to verify the output first with a known "good" DMM, then move the output to the DMM to be calibrated. Then go back and verify.

I have 2 4.5 digit DMM's that I trust as already accurate because I've never molested them and they match each other consistently. So those two are sort of a "reference". The Siglent obviously plays a role here too because it's new and it backs up my 4.5 digit references.
The arrangement ain't perfect and I don't claim it to be. But for a hobbyist like me is plenty good enough.

I also keep documented calibration records on how each DMM measures against my references. This is how I discovered that a Fluke 8600A was having drift issues and required repair.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Inverted18650, beanflying

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24265 on: February 02, 2019, 08:44:30 am »
As Tautech has gone Fishing interested if the Siglent defaults back to 10M or if it holds Gohms if you set it? The Agilent 34401A needs to be changed to GOhms each time you want it.

Great she is home too  :-+ Hospital is a good place to get sicker in.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #24266 on: February 02, 2019, 08:46:35 am »
As Tautech has gone Fishing interested if the Siglent defaults back to 10M or if it holds Gohms if you set it? The Agilent 34401A needs to be changed to GOhms each time you want it.

Great she is home too  :-+ Hospital is a good place to get sicker in.

As I recall the Siglent is 10M default. I'd have to check the manual.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24267 on: February 02, 2019, 09:08:09 am »
Don't forget the Reed&Prince!

I've been trying for DECADES to forget them... thanks SO much.  :palm:

Just the tips. ;)

Pffft. I keep more than that in my drill bag. We won't talk about the collection of 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive... Or the box full of iToolz.  :-DD

In Other News...

DollHouse hinges arrived for the front door on my computer case.
SO-O-O-O-O tiny...  :o

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.
Yes, like you I have toolboxes and toolboxes full of various tools that I have built up over the years including many sets of 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" sockets, many are duplicated as well ⚠

It all started many years ago when I brought a set of BA spanners because they used to be the common standard for small nuts, bolts and machine screws back then. I had open, ring and box spanners first, socket sets were so expensive at first and I was an apprentice earning just £2.50 a week. Now I'm a sucker for almost any tool that it is both small and modular, they are Sooo useful 😆
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24268 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:57 am »

mnem
Looks good to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #24269 on: February 02, 2019, 11:26:31 am »
Nine hundred and seventy one pages... wow. I hadn't been in this thread for a while; didn't realize it was growing so fast.
Did any other thread in the forum break 1000 pages before? Or will this be the first?

Anyway, i just wanted to post this.
  https://tapas.io/episode/1294038
  https://tapas.io/episode/1310801
A couple of pages of an online comic, that are amusingly relevant to this thread.

Now waiting to find out what's in that junkbox.   Be warned, this comic updates pretty slowly.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24270 on: February 02, 2019, 11:42:11 am »
... that are amusingly relevant to this thread.

Rings a bell....  (All three characters, in fact.)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24271 on: February 02, 2019, 11:46:20 am »
We are a lost cause lost and found support group with no hope and no real wish for redemption  >:D

Not sure if I have shown the inside of the ratio box before. Decided to get a head start on tomorrow over a Beer in the shack. Bobbins are the Trim resistors for the Mica Cards. Most 1-3  \$\Omega\$

The main cards vary in number and wind and it seems that maybe one or two in the series may have an issue of suspect connections or shorts based on testing the resistances tonight so more investigation needed before I get angry with it at 1kV. Unlikely to be quality control type issues with the high resistances but  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Inverted18650, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #24272 on: February 02, 2019, 12:19:12 pm »
A quick answer to what test equipment interest I have can be had at http://web.jlw.com/test.html .

Which raises the questions "when did you get that non-stupid three letter domain name?" and "have you tried auctioning it to see how much money it could free up for you GAS?".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24273 on: February 02, 2019, 03:29:22 pm »
Not sure if I have shown the inside of the ratio box.
Very impressive unit , and very impressive results.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #24274 on: February 02, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
yippeeeh , the cold war comes back, let`s enjoy.  |O

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf