Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15352634 times)

Kosmic and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25150 on: February 13, 2019, 02:58:30 am »
RIP Icom IC-7000. Doesn't even turn on now that I reassembled it.  |O Pretty sure I was sold a half dead transceiver for way too much money at hamfest anyway, so no huge loss taking it apart. But since this is also my only transceiver, so much for plans to get on the air soon.  :palm:

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:00:18 am by 0culus »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25151 on: February 13, 2019, 03:08:38 am »
RIP Icom IC-7000. Doesn't even turn on now that I reassembled it.  |O Pretty sure I was sold a half dead transceiver for way too much money at hamfest anyway, so no huge loss taking it apart. But since this is also my only transceiver, so much for plans to get on the air soon.  :palm:

FUCK THAT, I was one here, you will MAKE IT WORK DAMMIT. Well its the ICOM R7000
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:18:14 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25152 on: February 13, 2019, 03:12:21 am »

FUCK THAT, I was one here, you will MAKE IT WORK DAMMIT.

I wish, but I really don't want to tear into it again. It's a massive pain in the arse to put back together with all the thermal compound and tiny headers and tiny ribbon cables.  :horse:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25153 on: February 13, 2019, 03:18:42 am »
No, this: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7000/default.aspx

The R7000 is a receiver only. The 7000 is an HF/VHF/UHF transceiver.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #25154 on: February 13, 2019, 03:23:20 am »
The IC-R7000 (which I used to own a long time ago) covers 25 to 999 and 1025 to 2000 MHz. Nowadays it's mostly digital stuff up there which this receiver is useless for. Even ham radio is going digital though still some analog.

Sell it.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25155 on: February 13, 2019, 03:28:32 am »
Now I'm trying to figure out what I should get to replace the IC7000. I wish I had the $600 I spent on it back now.  :palm:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25156 on: February 13, 2019, 03:32:12 am »
Now I'm trying to figure out what I should get to replace the IC7000. I wish I had the $600 I spent on it back now.  :palm:

Perhaps this -

FT-991A
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25157 on: February 13, 2019, 03:37:12 am »

Perhaps this -

FT-991A

Wow that does look fancy! And a price tag to match!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25158 on: February 13, 2019, 03:48:31 am »
Shortened my repair list by one frequency counter today  :-+ Added it to the list of another TEA sufferer   :-DD

He laughs.

I'm not sure if it's because he has freed himself from the pressure of having it around - or because he enticed me into taking it off his hands.

It arrived today - I liked the sender name  ;) 

SWMBO saw it and gave me a casual version of "the look".  I turned that into a little more interest when I mentioned it was the same person who sent me that (pointing to the Hantek) and she remembered me commenting about Bean's coffee storage.  She is one of these people that tells you to go away until she has had at least her second cup in the morning.  (Maybe there are some bribery opportunities if we have any further business!)

Anyway, powered it up and no display.  Checked power up to the 5V rail which measured 5.016 - so all good there.  Will need to pull out the schematics (thank you Bean) and a scope to go further - maybe later today, if I can.

Nice that it has a hard power switch on the front panel - but I did look twice at the mains neutral running to and from it along a pair of traces, with the low voltage circuitry just 3mm away at a couple of points.  Love the die cast case and the gold traces are just beautiful.  This is a very tidy unit - thank you Bean.  It felt appropriate to show some respect, so I gave it a dust and a light clean with IPA - not that it really needed it.

Also, in the shelving I made for my test gear, I have a DIY cardboard box which contains my soldering gear when not in use - stands, irons, solder, flux, spare tips, etc - and the 5381 fits PERFECTLY into that space.  Will find somewhere else for the soldering stuff!

This bit of kit also marks a milestone - and a confession: it's the first bit of HP test gear I have ever owned.  I've had HP calculators, but they don't count.  As a result, I really want to get this up and running properly - and I don't want to rush it.

My TEA has entered a new era .... or is it a new rabbit hole?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:50:15 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, salvagedcircuitry

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25159 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:24 am »

Ya got ta pay to play baby, pay to play!  :)

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25160 on: February 13, 2019, 04:17:07 am »
So this guy works. Listening to music now. I can also hear the local truckers rolling by and some other craziness. Pretty cool. Like a bomb-shelter radio.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, 0culus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25161 on: February 13, 2019, 04:19:56 am »

It arrived today - I liked the sender name  ;) 

SWMBO saw it and gave me a casual version of "the look".  I turned that into a little more interest when I mentioned it was the same person who sent me that (pointing to the Hantek) and she remembered me commenting about Bean's coffee storage.  She is one of these people that tells you to go away until she has had at least her second cup in the morning.  (Maybe there are some bribery opportunities if we have any further business!)

This bit of kit also marks a milestone - and a confession: it's the first bit of HP test gear I have ever owned.  I've had HP calculators, but they don't count.  As a result, I really want to get this up and running properly - and I don't want to rush it.

You should have mentioned SHMBO was Coffee addicted I could have included a baggy of SHMBO sweetner inside the parcel  >:D

I would be looking at the driver IC on the front display board as the most likely culprit. You should be able to look at the data lines from the main board below that with the Hantek. At least that is how I remember it  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25162 on: February 13, 2019, 04:24:56 am »

Ya got ta pay to play baby, pay to play!  :)

Yeah...I do like the list of features on that radio. I won't be able to buy one till later this year, but definitely many thanks for the suggestion.  :-+ I think in the meantime I may explore the handheld market. I have good proximity to repeaters, so it might be doable.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25163 on: February 13, 2019, 04:33:44 am »
The only "Transceivers" I have are the two Kenwood TS-440S and I am playing with them now. 1st one seems good-to-go. I haven't got my HAM license but I will try to chat with the truck drivers up on the highway and see if they can hear me, even with my tiny antenna setup.

Oculus, check the specs and see if on e these will get you going mate. https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts440s.html

I received a "I hear ya driver" from up on Highway 24....lol
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:56:43 am by Inverted18650 »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25164 on: February 13, 2019, 04:59:01 am »
This is my listening post. Now that I'm retired it's always on. It's been very busy today due to the snow storm.

The unit directly underneath it is a battery backup I built for it. It automatically takes over if the mains power fails and keeps the scanner going. Once power is restored it switches back.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25165 on: February 13, 2019, 05:02:42 am »

Welcome!  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25166 on: February 13, 2019, 05:24:49 am »
The only "Transceivers" I have are the two Kenwood TS-440S and I am playing with them now. 1st one seems good-to-go. I haven't got my HAM license but I will try to chat with the truck drivers up on the highway and see if they can hear me, even with my tiny antenna setup.

Oculus, check the specs and see if on e these will get you going mate. https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/ts440s.html

I received a "I hear ya driver" from up on Highway 24....lol

Looked at the specs and this could definitely make it easier to narrow my search to a VHF/UHF unit rather than a jack of all trades master of none box like the IC7000. Also has the repair advantage of being thru hole PCBs apparently.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25167 on: February 13, 2019, 05:25:31 am »
This is my listening post. Now that I'm retired it's always on. It's been very busy today due to the snow storm.

The unit directly underneath it is a battery backup I built for it. It automatically takes over if the mains power fails and keeps the scanner going. Once power is restored it switches back.

Especially considering what you lady does, I imagine your ears are also open.

I never really got into the amateur radio thing but I like the idea of having an "end of the world" listening device around. Both these Kenwood units seem to do what they should. The send and receive at least at the "trucker" Freq's with my tiny antenna. So it cold be fun to have one around. Id rather have a Fluke 5440B or 5700 so if they can be sold, so be it.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25168 on: February 13, 2019, 05:26:43 am »

*snipped image*

Nice! Once I move I'm definitely going to set up a permanent base station, and a battery backup would be great.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25169 on: February 13, 2019, 05:32:49 am »

Especially considering what you lady does, I imagine your ears are also open.

She's NYPD and I'm at minimum 75 miles north of NYC so unfortunately too far away to pick up. And I'm just running the whip antenna anyway. But it's good enough to pick up all of my county. Especially since one of the repeaters is only 2 miles away.  ;D

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25170 on: February 13, 2019, 05:34:57 am »
@inverted I emailed you about the kenwoods.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #25171 on: February 13, 2019, 05:49:22 am »

Oh, it has entered a new, very spacious rabbit hole, filled with almost endless options and possibilities...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650, salvagedcircuitry

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #25172 on: February 13, 2019, 05:54:15 am »

Oh, it has entered a new, very spacious rabbit hole, filled with almost endless options and possibilities...

-Pat

:P

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25173 on: February 13, 2019, 06:08:17 am »
The words: "Be afraid.  Be very afraid." seem to be occupying my thoughts.....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #25174 on: February 13, 2019, 06:10:28 am »
The words: "Be afraid.  Be very afraid." seem to be occupying my thoughts.....

Definitely!!!   >:D >:D >:D >:D  Those catalogs are evil, I tell ya!!!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf