Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14879751 times)

TERRA Operative, Robert763 and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25675 on: February 18, 2019, 10:01:25 pm »
Hi,

Where you able to find a solution to the "Parallel BCD Interface" problem? I have been searching the planet, but so far have found anyone alive who seems to have an idea on how to solve the problem. It seems that Parallel BCD is so old that everyone that knew about it is dead.

Thanks,

Will...
You know what 'parallel BCD' basically is, right? Or the answer would have to be moooore long.
Manual control: get BCD coded thumbwheel switches and figure out the enter/write/latch signal.
Other: use normal binary and put it through some 74185s or equivalent.
Or find someone to program the encoding of each decimal digit into 4-bit binary then shift them into place and OR them up.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25676 on: February 18, 2019, 10:06:48 pm »
I've found that carefully heating labels with a heat gun on low, is enough to soften the glue so they can be peeled off with no damage to the underlying surface.  *)

*) in most cases!  :-)
Too late. ;) This was also one of those stickers designed to come apart in two pieces upon lifting. Not mine but somewhat similar:

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25677 on: February 18, 2019, 10:07:26 pm »
I also find that WD40 (not the switch cleaner) is pretty good and is gentle on other serfaces surfaces, at least it has been for me. Spray it on and leave it for a few minutes and it will normally lift with ease.
Good suggestion. I always forget about that one.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25678 on: February 18, 2019, 10:11:38 pm »
I've found that carefully heating labels with a heat gun on low, is enough to soften the glue so they can be peeled off with no damage to the underlying surface.  *)

*) in most cases!  :-)
Too late. ;) This was also one of those stickers designed to come apart in two pieces upon lifting. Not mine but somewhat similar:

Secutity seal? A cautious, big-boobed member of the pinnipedia hitherto unknown?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25679 on: February 18, 2019, 10:18:27 pm »
Watch out for WD40. It stains some plastics. Clocked up there once before.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25680 on: February 18, 2019, 10:25:12 pm »
The circuit diagram for the TRANSISTOR DEVICES DLP-50-60-1000 confirms what some already suggested:
it is 115/60 only. :(
I guess that means transformer replacement (fortunately there is only one), AFTER making sure that they do not use the ripple for some vile purpose, which would mean a larger effort to ensure it runs on 50Hz.
Well guessed from the pervert connector.

Starting to think about doing something about that TEA.
At least we have a harbour here, so there is a place for boat anchors.

Splash...splash...splash.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25681 on: February 18, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »
WHAT...the act of closing the tailgate on suitcases has caused a dimple on the outer skin of the car and this has gone through the inner panel and then pushed the out layer as well?, so what  :wtf: is this car made from, old cokes cans? I think if someone did that with mine, the tailgate would crush the suitcase before yielding to it, its built a brick dunny.

Yes, it's made from old soup cans. So are aircraft carriers and every office building erected in the last 50 years.  :palm:

No... it was a combination of factors. It would almost close, and I thought I could get it to close by kneeling into it a little; well, there was a suitcase handle jutting out of the pile so all that force played against the plastic inner door panel, which cracked. The sudden jolt from that was just enough force to overcome the strength of the outer skin (Yes, not best impressed by that; but it's common knowledge that today's cars are made of thinner metal) and my knee kinked the outer panel of the door right by the bottom lift-lip edge.

So yes, "Boo!" new cars being thinner-skinned. But "Boo!" dumb fat bastard who tried to force the door shut too.  |O

mnem
grr. arrg.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:43:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25682 on: February 18, 2019, 11:19:35 pm »
If I got hit by a car it'd make it worse as I'd be in hospital on ebay all day  :-DD

More seriously, hope you are ok :)
No worries, it buffed out better than the dents UPS made in that Fluke 5200A. :)

Also use a plastic wedge to lift the warranty labels of neatly!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25683 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:13 pm »
Good Morning TEA it's Coffee and Playtime in the Shack.  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25684 on: February 18, 2019, 11:45:52 pm »
Seems I have dried Mercury ejaculate to clean up before I go anywhere further. Gloves and Mask please Nurse.....

EDIT: Crust and all it still read 1.35xxxxx VDC  :o
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:45:29 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25685 on: February 19, 2019, 12:13:47 am »
Watch out for WD40. It stains some plastics. Clocked up there once before.
"Stains" in what way? It's a black case, so I guess I'm safe there?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25686 on: February 19, 2019, 01:31:26 am »
Some paints are porous; or they become porous with age as they oxidize. Oil will discolor them. Also, of course, paper labels. Yes, even black paint can show darker spots, or shiny spots from oil contamination.

mnem
I am also porous.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:32:59 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25687 on: February 19, 2019, 01:32:19 am »
Some paints are porous; or they become porous with age as they oxidize. Oil will discolor them. Also, of course, paper labels.

mnem
I am also porous.
Again, nothing a tarp won't fix!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25688 on: February 19, 2019, 01:38:57 am »
I've never had any issues with staining but that maybe because I don't tend to leave it there for long, I generally have 2 or more if required goes at getting the labels of. I can understand thought how if it was left on longer then needed to, say 10 minutes or longer might do it  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25689 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:30 am »
WHAT...the act of closing the tailgate on suitcases has caused a dimple on the outer skin of the car and this has gone through the inner panel and then pushed the out layer as well?, so what  :wtf: is this car made from, old cokes cans? I think if someone did that with mine, the tailgate would crush the suitcase before yielding to it, its built a brick dunny.

Yes, it's made from old soup cans. So are aircraft carriers and every office building erected in the last 50 years.  :palm:

No... it was a combination of factors. It would almost close, and I thought I could get it to close by kneeling into it a little; well, there was a suitcase handle jutting out of the pile so all that force played against the plastic inner door panel, which cracked. The sudden jolt from that was just enough force to overcome the strength of the outer skin (Yes, not best impressed by that; but it's common knowledge that today's cars are made of thinner metal) and my knee kinked the outer panel of the door right by the bottom lift-lip edge.

So yes, "Boo!" new cars being thinner-skinned. But "Boo!" dumb fat bastard who tried to force the door shut too.  |O

mnem
grr. arrg.
Yes yes, I give you that but you knew what I meant, you rascally dwagon. A friend once had a Kia Sportage and gave me a lift in it and noticed how the doors felt to be incredibly light. This was borne out a few weeks later when he turned up with the bottom of the driver door ripped open and he said that he found it like in the morning so someone had hit and drove off overnight. I couldn't help noticing the metal was about the same thickness of a coke cola can. I prodded other panels like the front wing and was disgusted with the way that they flexed when pressing on them.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #25690 on: February 19, 2019, 01:59:25 am »
Yes yes, I give you that but you knew what I meant, you rascally dwagon. A friend once had a Kia Sportage and gave me a lift in it and noticed how the doors felt to be incredibly light. This was borne out a few weeks later when he turned up with the bottom of the driver door ripped open and he said that he found it like in the morning so someone had hit and drove off overnight. I couldn't help noticing the metal was about the same thickness of a coke cola can. I prodded other panels like the front wing and was disgusted with the way that they flexed when pressing on them.
There are plenty of older cars with very thick steel metalwork and they're not very safe or reliable, plus it does a number on the car's economy. I don't know any modern car without flexing panels, to be honest.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25691 on: February 19, 2019, 02:10:19 am »
My last home panel beating was done with a 4lb Mash hammer and an off cut of Redgum Fence post. Land Rover and Birmabright meets Brute force and a very low care factor for surface finish  >:D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25692 on: February 19, 2019, 03:14:36 am »
Having arranged for pickup of my recent TEA acquisitions, this morning I received a further message which contained the following:
"Hi mate
When you come today instead of turning left down ***** Ave go past it and around the back of the building there is an alleyway.
"

Sounds good, eh?  Let's meet in a back alley and exchange goods for cash...  :scared:
But, that is exactly what transpired.  I feel my descent into the TEA lined abyss has well and truly begun in earnest.

So - I can report success on the transaction, for the two units specified.  They are resting comfortably on the back seat of my car (under some camouflage) as I didn't have the heart to relegate them to the boot.

The next stage will be critical - getting them into the house ... with safety.  (Not theirs, mine.)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #25693 on: February 19, 2019, 03:22:20 am »
Man if someone suddenly asked me that, I'd definitely be bringing my good friends Smith and Wesson...  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25694 on: February 19, 2019, 03:32:27 am »
I did respond:
"Meeting in a dark alley...? (Could make some jokes about that.. ;-) ) "

To which he replied:
"Ha ha I hear ya. All good the alley is nice and bright and open"

It's all good.  I know the area reasonably - and I didn't have any real concerns.

While I was talking, I did ask if he knew anything of the problems with the gear - and he replied that there would have been something wrong that someone had a bit of a look at and then set it aside ... but that this could have been done before he even started.  They were just cleaning out the old gear to put into a team kitty.  (and that makes my non-successful bidding worth the effort, since I would have increased the revenue to them on the lots I did not win)

So, the mystery remains....

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:34:56 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, 0culus

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25695 on: February 19, 2019, 03:53:03 am »
WooHoo I can afford a can of beans and a loaf of bread for the next few weeks food  :-+

Same Seller for both items and both appear to be in showroom condition and need no panel beating touch wood so far  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #25696 on: February 19, 2019, 04:14:49 am »
I thought I had my thing under control, as evidenced by months without gear acquisition and the exhibiting of a quiet sort of contentment with the stuff I had on the bench. 

Then I went to the Salem Hamfest. I didn't plan on buying anything other than a couple of ARRL handbooks from the 80s as I was mostly focused on selling stuff I can't use.  Got there when the load-in doors opened, set up my table, and figured I'd see if the coffee stand was open.  That's when I saw the pallet with the stack of rack mount gear. And the guy carrying a box of tek plugins.

About two hours later, I discovered that my wallet was 225USD lighter and I had a pile of gear in the corner behind my table: a Fluke 6061A signal generator, a TM503 frame with the function generator, power supply, frequency counter and DVM plug-ins, an HP 5328A counter, and a B+K 501A curve tracer.

*sigh* 

perhaps its time to start working the steps again. on the other hand, i just finished testing the hundred dollar 6061A and its pretty much and in spec, so maybe not. ;)

specialization is for insects.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #25697 on: February 19, 2019, 04:25:39 am »
"under control" Oh, you mean a lull? ;D

Sounds like a great time was had at the hamfest. Congrats on your scores.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25698 on: February 19, 2019, 04:26:48 am »
Oh-Oh....

SWMBO just got a survey ... about "her" browsing habits around a Hewlett Packard 8656B  *Gulp*  I know I bought under my account - but it is just possible I looked at a couple under hers.  She knows I will look at all sorts of stuff like this and we've seen "recommendations" of items based on each other's browsing (seems eBay thinks grouping browsing under the one IP address is good enough) - but this is next level exposure.  As a bonus, she now knows what it looks like - so what might have been an anonymous box hiding in a corner, will now get instantly recognised.

The rest of the day is going to be interesting.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25699 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:49 am »
Should I feel concerned Tom Cruise is going to jump out of the box blinding me with his fake whitened smile  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf