Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554166 times)

Mortymore, Wolfgang, BrianInTexas, Vince, SingleBitError and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25950 on: February 22, 2019, 12:31:48 am »
Ok then, this is OTT, more chatter in conversation street by the TEA machine if you will  :-DD

Here are some photos taken today at RAF Marham on the last official day of the Tornadoes tour of bases in the UK before being withdrawn from service in I think 3 weeks time. These were meant to have taken with my latest purchase, a NOS Canon EOS 7D with just 1 shutter operation to its name. It was a display model in a glass display case at a camera dealers and so is absolutely mint condition and I got it for a real bargain price with a warranty, this one to hijack one of BD's sayings, I'm taking this one to the grave with me when I go  :-DD So then these shots were taken on what is now going to be my second (backup) camera, a Canon EOS 50D which is still bloody camera.

I have a few Canon cameras - but the 7D was my first "pro" model.  In order to get the best results out of it:

1) Expose to the right and shoot in RAW mode.  You will be able to maximise S/N and still recover proper exposure in post.  It's a fine sensor, but Canon's firmware tends to underexpose and in JPG mode you get unnecessary hard-to-remove noise and artifacts.

2) If you don't already, learn to use back-button autofocus.  It will make a huge difference in the ability to capture moving targets once you sort out which focus point grouping works best for you.

3) Get the best lens you can afford - an APS-C sensor like the 7D has will benefit from extra resolution in the lens.

You can get some amazing shots with it.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #25951 on: February 22, 2019, 12:42:20 am »
it should Autoset the trigger only to the channel with a signal and I think to the strongest.

So what does it do when you swap the signals on CH1 and CH2?

Same. Triggers on channel 2. I think the firmware is working correctly. When you press "AUTO" the firmware goes to channel 1 first, then to channel 2. Once it figures everything out it just triggers off the last signal processed, which is channel 2.
That's not what you would expect, right ?

I'll have a play with one of our more modern X-E's and see what they do then explore this subject with HQ.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25952 on: February 22, 2019, 12:54:11 am »
So now I own two accurate clocks.....

A statement beginning like this could only be headed in one direction...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25953 on: February 22, 2019, 12:58:04 am »
  When you look at imgur pics then hit next post  :-DD
https://imgur.com/gallery/TUnSdYT

No relation.  :-DD

mnem

No... errr.... comment.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25954 on: February 22, 2019, 01:02:58 am »
So now I own two accurate clocks  |O Both of my children are off to Agilent Discipline school in the next few weeks for a little :horse:

0.006% combined is still within the 1 year spec for both combined but is one right and one really really wrong or are they just polar opposites of the 'real' number.  ::)

Edit added a Hi Z measured 1V from the 735A. Will leave them on for a day or so and see if it changes  :-//

Well I guess I can't complain (too much). My 2 heavy hitters seem to get along much better.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25955 on: February 22, 2019, 01:07:35 am »
it should Autoset the trigger only to the channel with a signal and I think to the strongest.

Same. Triggers on channel 2. I think the firmware is working correctly. When you press "AUTO" the firmware goes to channel 1 first, then to channel 2. Once it figures everything out it just triggers off the last signal processed, which is channel 2.

I'll have a play with one of our more modern X-E's and see what they do then explore this subject with HQ.

OK, thanks. Let know what your results are.  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #25956 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:25 am »
Ok then, this is OTT, more chatter in conversation street by the TEA machine if you will  :-DD

Here are some photos taken today at RAF Marham on the last official day of the Tornadoes tour of bases in the UK before being withdrawn from service in I think 3 weeks time. These were meant to have taken with my latest purchase, a NOS Canon EOS 7D with just 1 shutter operation to its name. It was a display model in a glass display case at a camera dealers and so is absolutely mint condition and I got it for a real bargain price with a warranty, this one to hijack one of BD's sayings, I'm taking this one to the grave with me when I go  :-DD So then these shots were taken on what is now going to be my second (backup) camera, a Canon EOS 50D which is still bloody camera.

I have a few Canon cameras - but the 7D was my first "pro" model.  In order to get the best results out of it:

1) Expose to the right and shoot in RAW mode.  You will be able to maximise S/N and still recover proper exposure in post.  It's a fine sensor, but Canon's firmware tends to underexpose and in JPG mode you get unnecessary hard-to-remove noise and artifacts.

2) If you don't already, learn to use back-button autofocus.  It will make a huge difference in the ability to capture moving targets once you sort out which focus point grouping works best for you.

3) Get the best lens you can afford - an APS-C sensor like the 7D has will benefit from extra resolution in the lens.

Wow!!  A NOS 7D?  That's amazing!  I got mine as a refurb in 2011.  That being said, it's a fine camera, and will serve you well.  I actually find that mine seems to overexposed in auto mode, so if I'm being lazy and using that mode, I generally dial in -1/2 stop of exposure compensation.

I'll second Greg's suggestion to configure it for back button AF - I've done that with all of mine - it's great to be able to decouple AF from metering and taking the shot, especially if you like to recompose after focusing and your subject isn't on an AF point.

And of course, glass, glass, glass.  Good lenses will outlive bodies.

Enjoy the new camera!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25957 on: February 22, 2019, 01:26:08 am »
Nike Bricks Its Shoes With a Faulty Firmware Update

This headline is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the world today.  :palm:

mnem
Words fail me.

Quote from: SlashDot
Posted by msmash on Thursday February 21, 2019 @03:50PM from the internet-of-crap-devices dept.
AmiMoJo writes:
Nike users are experiencing some technical difficulties in the wild world of connected footwear. Nike's $350 "Adapt BB" sneakers are the latest in the company's line of self-lacing shoes, and they come with the "Nike Adapt" app for Android and iOS. The app pairs with the shoes and lets you adjust the tightness of the laces, customize the lights (yeah, there are lights), and see, uh, how much battery life your shoes have left. The only problem: Nike's Android app doesn't work. Android users report that their new kicks aren't paring with the app properly, and some customers report failed firmware updates for the shoes, which render them unable to pair with the app at all. "My left shoe won't even reboot." writes one owner.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Inverted18650

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25958 on: February 22, 2019, 01:59:11 am »

Wow!!  A NOS 7D?  That's amazing!  I got mine as a refurb in 2011.  That being said, it's a fine camera, and will serve you well.  I actually find that mine seems to overexposed in auto mode, so if I'm being lazy and using that mode, I generally dial in -1/2 stop of exposure compensation.

I'll second Greg's suggestion to configure it for back button AF - I've done that with all of mine - it's great to be able to decouple AF from metering and taking the shot, especially if you like to recompose after focusing and your subject isn't on an AF point.

And of course, glass, glass, glass.  Good lenses will outlive bodies.

Enjoy the new camera!

-Pat
Wow, nice sky. Thanks for the Back AF button tip, I'll try using it next time. This is my 4th Canon DSLR, and I current still have all 4, they are 300D, 20D, 50D and now this 7D but to help pay for the 7D, I'm going to be selling the 300D and 20D so the 7D will main camera and backup camera is the 50D which I have had for 4 years now. I have just noticed that the 50D also has the back AF button  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25959 on: February 22, 2019, 02:03:16 am »

mnem

No... errr.... comment.

There was actually a Rabbit on the hole too but it seems only part way down, so maybe there is only death and a mauling from seeking TEA from the DWHBO  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25960 on: February 22, 2019, 02:49:11 am »
My new acquisition  :)

I was looking for a function generator, found this nice AWG2021 pretty cheap instead. Was not too sure about an AWG but then I realised I could generate a digitaly modulated baseband signal and then feed that in my vector network generator to output something up to 2Ghz.

Naked Shots:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:57:33 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, salvagedcircuitry

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25961 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:13 am »
So now I own two accurate clocks  |O Both of my children are off to Agilent Discipline school in the next few weeks for a little :horse:

0.006% combined is still within the 1 year spec for both combined but is one right and one really really wrong or are they just polar opposites of the 'real' number.  ::)

Edit added a Hi Z measured 1V from the 735A. Will leave them on for a day or so and see if it changes  :-//
Today's Questionable Content has a direct bearing on this!
https://www.questionablecontent.net/index.php

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25962 on: February 22, 2019, 02:53:29 am »

mnem

No... errr.... comment.

There was actually a Rabbit on the hole too but it seems only part way down, so maybe there is only death and a mauling from seeking TEA from the DWHBO  >:D

Oh, I'll gladly share my tea with anyone who asks; I am a civilized dwagon after all.  ;)

But my TE... that's just plain a gamble. Some days I'd as soon eat you as look at you if you come asking for that.  >:D

mnem
"Ooooh! SPAM in a can!" sez cousin Beauregard.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25963 on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:07 am »
Softwares from Tektronix are impressive. Super easy to edit and generate almost anything you want.

They even have a soft to easily generate a multi carrier signal. Working pretty well.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25964 on: February 22, 2019, 03:01:07 am »
Yeah, I see that. And... actual documentation. Shocking!!! :scared:

mnem
*Undocumented feature #1177*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25965 on: February 22, 2019, 03:14:45 am »

mnem

And as a bonus it actually works with WIN10!  :scared: :-DD

Kosmic, that is a NICE unit. I thought at first the screen was LCD until I saw the CRT on your naked shoots. That is some crisp pix.  :-+

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25966 on: February 22, 2019, 03:18:33 am »

Today's Questionable Content has a direct bearing on this!
https://www.questionablecontent.net/index.php

Yep  ;D

Getting a pair of relatively modern 'clocks' calibrated to go over and tweak the rest fleet will make me happier however. There is a pair of 34970A's with DMM cards and an Advantest 6871E which will give me five 6 1/2 digit+ meters at a point in time to keep a better idea on certainties. Multifunction, DC and AC Calibrators to be done over and then applied to my home brewed Vref stash to monitor over time and keep in check only to start it all over again with the next Cal cycle  :scared:

Maybe the hole is actually a Doughnut with matching parallel circular gravity with an infinite number of entry points and no exits?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25967 on: February 22, 2019, 03:25:39 am »

Yep I was surprise. ArbExpress is not that old (2016) but I think MCIQ was released in 2002. Still works perfectly with Win10 and can communicate with the instrument over GPIB.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25968 on: February 22, 2019, 03:38:50 am »

mnem

Kosmic, that is a NICE unit. I thought at first the screen was LCD until I saw the CRT on your naked shoots. That is some crisp pix.  :-+

I thought the same thing...  :o

@Kosmic: What's that thing got... like 12 hours on it?   :-DD

mnem
I've seen stranger things. In my breakfast cereal.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25969 on: February 22, 2019, 04:04:35 am »
@Kosmic: What's that thing got... like 12 hours on it?   :-DD

It was in a rackmount adapter so that might explain the good shape. From the stickers it look like it's coming from lockheed martin and was last calibrated in 2017. I guess they take care of their instruments ?  :)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #25970 on: February 22, 2019, 04:15:14 am »

It's mnem's brother from another mother. And he's waiting in the rabbit hole. So, bean might want to quickly get a third clock before he reaches the bottom. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #25971 on: February 22, 2019, 04:17:46 am »

OK, thanks. Let know what your results are.  :-+
This is what I get with a very similar setup, ch3 a sine and a higher amplitude just to try to catch it out.  >:D
SDS1104X-E.

BTW Med, can I have the FW version # you have installed please.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:19:47 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25972 on: February 22, 2019, 05:21:52 am »
So I have a shiny new 6 1/2 Digit Agilent with loads of fancy features and I am playing with removing the Crusty Mercury Cell scum and starting to fix the Black wire diseased loom on a 30-40 year old HP 419A Null Meter.

A1 and A2 are locked at 48 microvolts apart and have a boring flatline trend going on and the 735A hasn't moved more than 1 microvolt in 3 hours ..... YAWN  ;D

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25973 on: February 22, 2019, 05:23:46 am »

Wow, nice sky. Thanks for the Back AF button tip, I'll try using it next time. This is my 4th Canon DSLR, and I current still have all 4, they are 300D, 20D, 50D and now this 7D but to help pay for the 7D, I'm going to be selling the 300D and 20D so the 7D will main camera and backup camera is the 50D which I have had for 4 years now. I have just noticed that the 50D also has the back AF button  :palm:

I started with a 300D and was frustrated by not being able to use back button servo AF (it had only AI Focus, not AI Servo) so when I got the 7D I was determined to make use of it.  It does take a bit of self-training, but shooting moving subjects is far easier.  Stationary objects, much the same.  The 50D is a solid camera but the modern ones are even more polished and comfortable to use. 

This is not a 7D shot, but it's an example of what you can get from AI Servo with a little practice and good lights.  ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25974 on: February 22, 2019, 05:29:45 am »

It's mnem's brother from another mother. And he's waiting in the rabbit hole. So, bean might want to quickly get a third clock before he reaches the bottom. :-DD

Like I said... no relation. ;)

bean:

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf