Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822300 times)

Ice-Tea and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #25975 on: February 22, 2019, 05:43:01 am »
More this than Rabbit. I blame the Mercury Inverted sent me in the mail ;)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25976 on: February 22, 2019, 06:04:05 am »
Interesting they have re used the old casting for the Mechanical attenuator switching version but swapped to those new cans types. Lucky you got a 'spare'  ;)

Good news - the junker has the same attenuator setup.

The worrying news...

The bad news...

... and opening any of those cans is going to be somewhere between "fun" and "impossible" .... soldered and spot welded.  These guys were serious.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 06:07:38 am by Brumby »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #25977 on: February 22, 2019, 06:18:51 am »
Want to buy my spare Dremel  ::) Given the other list of Faults and the '?' has to worth a go installing the other one.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25978 on: February 22, 2019, 07:27:39 am »

BTW Med, can I have the FW version # you have installed please.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #25979 on: February 22, 2019, 07:50:25 am »

BTW Med, can I have the FW version # you have installed please.

Ta.
Email sent including your pic and mine so lets see what they make of it....Friday arvo there and all.

Sometimes there is FW in new product we don't get to see until there's more changes that make a public release worthwhile. Lets hope they have something stashed in the archives.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25980 on: February 22, 2019, 08:01:18 am »
Want to buy my spare Dremel  ::) Given the other list of Faults and the '?' has to worth a go installing the other one.

If I need that sort of thing, I've got it covered, but I have a couple of things to check before going that far.  (Well, at least as far as a repair is concerned.)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #25981 on: February 22, 2019, 12:05:23 pm »
Looks like the first stage of the attenuator (marked 33358) could be OK - but the second stage (marked 33042) seems suspect.  The same behaviour is seen in both units from the nearly operational unit and the junker.

It would be nice to know what's inside so as to check whether my testing is valid.  I might see if I can track something down - or if anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Either way, it seems I have some metalwork coming up....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25982 on: February 22, 2019, 01:00:57 pm »
I have a few Canon cameras - but the 7D was my first "pro" model.  In order to get the best results out of it:

1) Expose to the right and shoot in RAW mode.  You will be able to maximise S/N and still recover proper exposure in post.  It's a fine sensor, but Canon's firmware tends to underexpose and in JPG mode you get unnecessary hard-to-remove noise and artifacts.

2) If you don't already, learn to use back-button autofocus.  It will make a huge difference in the ability to capture moving targets once you sort out which focus point grouping works best for you.

3) Get the best lens you can afford - an APS-C sensor like the 7D has will benefit from extra resolution in the lens.

You can get some amazing shots with it.

As I understand it then, to make use of the back auto focus button, I need to via the custom function setup, disable the front autofocus button and just leave it as shutter button only, is that correct? Otherwise when I go to take the shot the front button overwrites the back button and goes through the focusing all over again?

Edit:
The lens I have are as follows,
1/ Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS with SLD glass
2/ Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM

I'd love to get some L series Glass Lens but the cost is prohibitive at the moment and those that might just be approaching affordable are usually shot to buggery as they tend to be heavily used.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 01:12:06 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #25983 on: February 22, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »
   I started with a 300D and was frustrated by not being able to use back button servo AF (it had only AI Focus, not AI Servo) so when I got the 7D I was determined to make use of it.  It does take a bit of self-training, but shooting moving subjects is far easier.  Stationary objects, much the same.  The 50D is a solid camera but the modern ones are even more polished and comfortable to use. 

This is not a 7D shot, but it's an example of what you can get from AI Servo with a little practice and good lights.  ;)

Ooohhh.... baby got back... I like. Please tell me that shirt she's wearing says "Midwest Beavers".  :-DD LIE IF YOU HAVE TO!!!  >:D

mnem
"I was just about to grab my coat and hat,
when she caught my eye and I put it back...
Oh, I fell in love with a Roller Derby Queen..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25984 on: February 22, 2019, 01:53:28 pm »
   More this than Rabbit. I blame the Mercury Inverted sent me in the mail ;)

I was thinking it was perfect for "the fall"; being as he has your third clock, and he's late for a very important date... with the jabberwock at the bottom of the hole.  >:D

mnem
"I can't believe THAT is where your mind goes...
Shut up, you."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:06:19 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25985 on: February 22, 2019, 02:05:17 pm »
Interesting they have re used the old casting for the Mechanical attenuator switching version but swapped to those new cans types. Lucky you got a 'spare'  ;)

Good news - the junker has the same attenuator setup.

The worrying news...      The bad news...      ...and opening any of those cans is going to be somewhere between "fun" and "impossible" ....soldered and spot welded.  These guys were serious.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323310255105

Is there maybe some generic programmable atten (like this one, but probably not THIS one) that uses the same or similar module? Do you at least have specs for the attenuation steps so you might be able to search for a generic substitute?

[EDIT] NM... I just realized it's a 2 stage atten. Not likely gonna find a generic one of THAT.  :palm: [/EDIT]

mnem
moo.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 02:28:48 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #25986 on: February 22, 2019, 03:48:58 pm »
As I understand it then, to make use of the back auto focus button, I need to via the custom function setup, disable the front autofocus button and just leave it as shutter button only, is that correct? Otherwise when I go to take the shot the front button overwrites the back button and goes through the focusing all over again?

Yes.  On my 7D, I have custom function IV, Operation/Others set as follows:
On the first 'page', the shutter release button is set to start metering only, and the AF-ON button set to meter and AF.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25987 on: February 22, 2019, 05:47:12 pm »

Ooohhh.... baby got back... I like. Please tell me that shirt she's wearing says "Midwest Beavers".  :-DD LIE IF YOU HAVE TO!!!  >:D

mnem

She's 16 so I don't know if her parents would encourage edgy shirts like that.   >:D  It actually says "Midwest Monsters" from a pickup tournament some time ago.  Seriously one of our best skaters though, and a World Cup competitor last year at the championships.  The adults fear her on the track; off the track she's a pleasant, soft-spoken kid.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25988 on: February 22, 2019, 06:08:20 pm »

Edit:
The lens I have are as follows,
1/ Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS with SLD glass
2/ Canon EF 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS USM

I'd love to get some L series Glass Lens but the cost is prohibitive at the moment and those that might just be approaching affordable are usually shot to buggery as they tend to be heavily used.

Pat covered the setup nicely, so I won't repeat his comments - but yes, the metering and shutter release stay on the shutter button, and the camera only focuses when you tell it to with the rear button.  It doesn't help much if you're not in AI Servo, though, because the camera will still behave as though it's in single shot focus whether you use the front or back button.  You don't get the 'beep' (even if enabled) when using AI Servo, though, so other than the viewfinder image and lens motion you will not get a notice that it's in focus - AI Servo is focusing constantly and never stops till you release the shutter.  That's good for moving objects, because a fast-moving subject will continue to be tracked by the camera right up until you shoot rather than stopping once it 'thinks' you're in focus.  Apologies if you're already familiar with Servo, but some reading this might not be aware of the difference.

However, due to this continuous process, some people are frustrated by the shutter releasing when slightly out of focus.  Custom function III-2 lets you tune it so that the camera will prioritize speed over focus, or vice versa.  It depends on your shooting style and situations which you'll prefer.  Again, it's a process of learning what works best for you and either adapting your behavior or tweaking settings until you get what you want.

Oh, also - some camera stores and places like LensRentals have certified used lenses for a good discount.  That's where I got my first L glass and it was not only a bargain but reliable.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25989 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:58 pm »
Great... now you done got my parental instinct all on point, beating the shit out of me  :box: for a little innocent appreciation of a nicely curved rump.   |O

Owww!!! STOP THAT!!!  :o

mnem
"Oh yeah?!? Well think about this ya dirty ol' dwagon... in 8 years that'll be YOUR little girl, and you'll be old enough to get the senior discount." 

Owww!!! EVEN MORE!!!  :palm:

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25990 on: February 22, 2019, 06:18:17 pm »
Like beanflying in post #25975, I had to do a lot of cleaning and replace the leaky and dead battery packs in my HP 419A. I replaced the original batteries with packs that were designed as phone replacement batteries and they fit with little difficulty. The new batteries have been in the HP 419A for a couple of years on what was fast charge for the original smaller batteries but is trickle charge on the new larger ones.   

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry, beanflying

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25991 on: February 22, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
Great... now you done got my parental instinct all on point, beating the shit out of me  :box: for a little innocent appreciation of a nicely curved rump.   |O

mnem
"Oh yeah?!? Well think about this ya dirty ol' dwagon... in 8 years that'll be YOUR little girl, and you'll be old enough to get the senior discount." 

A free service, provided by the team photographer.   ;D  Derby gets all sizes and shapes, from some tiny 7-8 year olds up to adult-sized skaters.  We like the fact that it discourages bullying and eschews preferential treatment (as long as the skater can meet minimum requirements for the team).  We just like to gently remind the audience that they are kids, and that we're trying to help them become good adults by encouraging team spirit, sportsmanship and fair play.  We're very proud that people come to our league with that in mind.  Some of them become amazing athletes in the process, which is a wonderful side effect. 

Incidentally, the fellow performing the exquisite jump is not one of our juniors - we regularly scrimmage against adults to build physical strength and endurance, and it's quite impressive to watch them step up to the task without becoming reckless or losing their tempers.  Both sides enjoy the games, and I think this work is one reason we went 2 out of 3 in a tournament last weekend with a very fresh team.   8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25992 on: February 22, 2019, 07:01:47 pm »
Today's acquisition: a very clean (inside) HP 3478A to keep my 3468A company.  It was quite cheap, probably because something like a 141T fell on it and left a big dent in the top / scrunch on the bezel.  Nonetheless, the front/rear panels and chassis are flawless and it seems to work fine in all modes.  It was still cold from its trip when the picture was taken; it has settled in nicely at 10.0000 V after a bit of a warm-up on the bench.  Battery is sitting at 3.02V, though, so I may be performing open heart surgery soon.

I can beat the cover back into shape, I'm pretty sure; still contemplating what to do about the bezel.  Perhaps I can take it out and rig up a form to squeeze it back into approximate shape with a little judicious hot air applied?

Oh, the perils of getting into a conversation with the designer of a particular piece of gear, who then points out some bargain examples online...   :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25993 on: February 22, 2019, 07:03:03 pm »
That’s a winner that. Nice meters

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #25994 on: February 22, 2019, 07:08:22 pm »
Today's acquisition: a very clean (inside) HP 3478A to keep my 3468A company.  It was quite cheap, probably because something like a 141T fell on it and left a big dent in the top / scrunch on the bezel. 

I can beat the cover back into shape, I'm pretty sure; still contemplating what to do about the bezel.  Perhaps I can take it out and rig up a form to squeeze it back into approximate shape with a little judicious hot air applied?

Since that's the version with plastic bezel, hot air might be enough. I've heard that the old Keithley enclosures (like the 2000 DMM) exhibit memory when heated, which can recover a fair bit from deformation.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25995 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:26 pm »

mnem

A free service, provided by the team photographer.   ;D  Derby gets all sizes and shapes, from some tiny 7-8 year olds up to adult-sized skaters.  We like the fact that it discourages bullying and eschews preferential treatment (as long as the skater can meet minimum requirements for the team).  We just like to gently remind the audience that they are kids, and that we're trying to help them become good adults by encouraging team spirit, sportsmanship and fair play.  We're very proud that people come to our league with that in mind.  Some of them become amazing athletes in the process, which is a wonderful side effect. 

Incidentally, the fellow performing the exquisite jump is not one of our juniors - we regularly scrimmage against adults to build physical strength and endurance, and it's quite impressive to watch them step up to the task without becoming reckless or losing their tempers.  Both sides enjoy the games, and I think this work is one reason we went 2 out of 3 in a tournament last weekend with a very fresh team.   8)

In all honesty, I simply didn't realize. Roller Derby (at least when/where I was growing up) was not a place for kids. Nor most sensible adults. I made an assumption, and now I rightly feel like an ass.  :-[

mnem
*Glares at self*
"Shut up. I'm not talking to you."

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25996 on: February 22, 2019, 07:30:01 pm »
I think it's fair to say that I am dead chuffed at getting both meters for a bargain price.  I find that I absolutely love the nice silent buttons and relays, and even the LCD is very readable in the lighting I have.  HP meters have a special charm - that's one reason I fought against the lure for so long.  Now they're challenging the Flukes for dominance!   :-DD

The top of the bezel was deformed by the case pressing on it, and indeed it squared up a little once I eased the case off.  I have a good hot air gun with switchable temp.  I may just heat up the corner of the bezel carefully and see if it wants to relax before resorting to more forceful means.  First I have to figure out how to extract it properly though!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #25997 on: February 22, 2019, 07:38:11 pm »

Certainly NOT like the old banked tracked professional Roller Derby I used to watch on TV when I was a kid. They beat the shit out of one another. And the women were worse than the men.  :o

Mnem....you lecherous old coot....welcome to my club.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #25998 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:24 pm »

In all honesty, I simply didn't realize. Roller Derby (at least when/where I was growing up) was not a place for kids. Nor most sensible adults. I made an assumption, and now I rightly feel like an ass.  :-[

mnem
*Glares at self*
"Shut up. I'm not talking to you."

Not a problem; she went to a tournament down in Nashville a year or so ago to help their local team fill out a roster, and the opposing coach nearly had a fit because we lent "a 6 foot adult skater" to the Nashville team (legally, as it was not sanctioned).  The coach had played against us before, so it was just lack of attention on her part that she failed to recognize the skater.  She is a very imposing presence, and it's easy to see why people misjudge her age.  And our top skaters do tend to be tall and strong, so it's bound to happen.  We laughed about the incident for months, because the coach also referred to her as "the brute squad."  No doubt butthurt - Nashville whipped them fair and square in that game.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25999 on: February 22, 2019, 07:45:00 pm »
Today's acquisition: a very clean (inside) HP 3478A to keep my 3468A company.  It was quite cheap, probably because something like a 141T fell on it and left a big dent in the top / scrunch on the bezel.  Nonetheless, the front/rear panels and chassis are flawless and it seems to work fine in all modes.  It was still cold from its trip when the picture was taken; it has settled in nicely at 10.0000 V after a bit of a warm-up on the bench.  Battery is sitting at 3.02V, though, so I may be performing open heart surgery soon.

Oh, the perils of getting into a conversation with the designer of a particular piece of gear, who then points out some bargain examples online...   :popcorn:

Use the angled face of a PCI slot filler (or if the area you need to work is too broad for that face, make a new 90° bend in the middle) as a form on the inside edge of the corner to apply gentle pressure while applying heat around the outside edge. Avoid touching the outside edge; anything you touch it with will leave impressions in the finish that invariably look worse than before you started (I know from hard-learned experience.... over and over. :palm:) You should probably completely remove the bezel in this case to have full control of the work.

I use a Ungar heat shrink gun for this kind of work; it gives more control. But it is easier to burn/bubble if you're careless, just as a hot air rework station can be if you set it too aggressively.

Good luck!

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:55:52 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, GregDunn

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf