Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549838 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26025 on: February 23, 2019, 08:49:20 am »
300+km/hr Pylon Racer. PITA to video or even get stills of. The event is 10x400m laps in 1.20-1.30.

Model gliders have exceeded 500Mph without engines

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #26026 on: February 23, 2019, 08:55:38 am »
I have done a bit of DS'ing not far from here. The local spot tops out toward 200MPH (normally a chunk less) in the right conditions. Plenty of good spots on the South Island on NZ too when I get a chance for another visit. The big boys of DS are pushing into Mach number issues.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26027 on: February 23, 2019, 12:46:47 pm »
Like how we're on gliding today  :-DD

Been off most of yesterday from TEA goodies working on a project. Managed to get the uC up and talking to programmer / toochain and event loop done. ..zzzZZZ

Currently deciding if I can be bothered to haul my butt half way round the M25 tomorrow to Rainham for another hamfest / radio rally. 140 mile round trip. Positives: need some 450 ohm ladder line, connectors and feedline plus it gets me away from SWMNLBO for a bit. Negatives: not sure I can be arsed, M25 sucks balls, really need to ebay some stuff, rally might be crap.

Edit: and now for something totally random. My eldest just came back from Austria and got me this mutant surprise. Her German is a bit crap thus my youngest got the toy but I like a kinder egg despite my age  :-DD ... may be something to do with filling the toy casings with flash powder though  >:D

(laptop for scale)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 12:59:34 pm by bd139 »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26028 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:16 pm »
Haven't done a lot of Gliding or any R/C over the last few months - Life :-[

Got to retask some R/C stuff into Erg TEA bags however so still using some of it I guess. Got the bits out for making the V ref board so I should have the 419A up to Nude stroking of beard with correct tongue angle tomorrow  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26029 on: February 23, 2019, 02:08:02 pm »
Like how we're on gliding today  :-DD

Been off most of yesterday from TEA goodies working on a project. Managed to get the uC up and talking to programmer / toochain and event loop done. ..zzzZZZ

Currently deciding if I can be bothered to haul my butt half way round the M25 tomorrow to Rainham for another hamfest / radio rally. 140 mile round trip. Positives: need some 450 ohm ladder line, connectors and feedline plus it gets me away from SWMNLBO for a bit. Negatives: not sure I can be arsed, M25 sucks balls, really need to ebay some stuff, rally might be crap.

Edit: and now for something totally random. My eldest just came back from Austria and got me this mutant surprise. Her German is a bit crap thus my youngest got the toy but I like a kinder egg despite my age  :-DD ... may be something to do with filling the toy casings with flash powder though  >:D

(laptop for scale)
Rainham? the only one I can find is in Chatham?  :-// SWMNLBO what the heck is the L for?

Edit, The Chatham one is the Rainham Radio Rally I have discovered.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:19:43 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26030 on: February 23, 2019, 02:08:50 pm »
bought something I always wanted , and never had a use for(and still don't...) was always going for too much.
a Keithley 260 nanovolt source , in a rather ugly shape. It passes the fluke 87-1 metrology test :)

Nice! What happen to the knobs exactly ?

I was also contemplating those Keithley voltage and current sources on eBay. Most of the time they are overpriced though.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26031 on: February 23, 2019, 02:11:41 pm »
Rainham? the only one I can find is in Chatham?  :-// SWMNLBO what the heck is the L for?

Sorry yes Chatham. Being an idiot :D

She Who Must No Longer Be Obeyed  :-DD

Edit: I am selling my TTi Tf930. The Racal 9915 is far more stable on UHF plus the batteries are never flat (because it doesn’t have any!). With the Bliley OCXO in it the thing is mega stable. Also a hell of a lot more sensitive than the TF930 on small signals. I am very impressed with it for the age.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:14:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26032 on: February 23, 2019, 02:22:45 pm »

Sorry yes Chatham. Being an idiot :D

She Who Must No Longer Be Obeyed  :-DD

Edit: I am selling my TTi Tf930. The Racal 9915 is far more stable on UHF plus the batteries are never flat (because it doesn’t have any!). With the Bliley OCXO in it the thing is mega stable. Also a hell of a lot more sensitive than the TF930 on small signals. I am very impressed with it for the age.
You should get a decent profit on the TF930, I did on my 2nd one  :-+

Decided I CBA either to go the Chatham, I'll go to North Weald if the weather is good and test my new camera  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:24:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26033 on: February 23, 2019, 02:46:56 pm »
Yeah fingers crossed  ;D

I don't blame you. North Weald is just up the 414 a bit for you. No fighting the troll bridge either  :-DD (I'm on the same side of the river so easier here)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26034 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:11 pm »
I was looking for some info on the Keighley 610 and ended up finding this video:

I like the intro  ;D

Clearly TEA worthy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:43:25 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26035 on: February 23, 2019, 05:56:03 pm »
Wow... we all thought it, he did it.:-DD   And because he did it with that perfectly dry euro accent, nobody even bats an eye...

mnem
At least he only showed the Vaseline...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:22:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26036 on: February 23, 2019, 07:46:40 pm »

Nice! What happen to the knobs exactly ?

I was also contemplating those Keithley voltage and current sources on eBay. Most of the time they are overpriced though.
That is a good question, very yellow, and hazy. I can't tell if they have a bunch of really fine cracks in it. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a replacement for it , unless I get a new knob(looks different, black solid skirt)
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26037 on: February 23, 2019, 08:22:42 pm »
Just made an absolute killing on ebay. Some chumpty listed some technical books for pocket change that are worth a fortune. Make 6000% profit on one of them!  8)

That's more TEA pennies in the bank that!

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26038 on: February 23, 2019, 08:27:04 pm »
I think I broke my ass.

mnem
*Not-well-dwagon*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26039 on: February 23, 2019, 10:15:53 pm »
Here as promised is a link to my first attempt at using a Panasonic HC-V10 camcorder at RAF Marham filming some Tornados. Filmed handheld (need to get myself a tripod and or gimbal) as you see its rather jerky because the camera is small, my hands are large and I was struggling to keep it steady and zoom etc. Next I shall be going back armed with a Canon 7D DSLR which can take full 1080 video and I give that a try.

I have another video I shot 2 years at North Weald Airfield of a Mig starting up and taxiing to depart to take part in the Herne Bay Airshow and this was taken on a Panasonic Luxmedia 16-Z21S camera which was a bit easier to control but as it is really still camera first and video second, its flawed because if you attempt to use the zoom function during filming it cuts the sound  :palm: hence the recent purchase of the HC-V10 which is going on sale very soon.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 10:33:54 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26040 on: February 24, 2019, 01:38:58 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323310255105

Is there maybe some generic programmable atten (like this one, but probably not THIS one) that uses the same or similar module? Do you at least have specs for the attenuation steps so you might be able to search for a generic substitute?

[EDIT] NM... I just realized it's a 2 stage atten. Not likely gonna find a generic one of THAT.  :palm: [/EDIT]

mnem
moo.

Yeah ... If only it was that simple.

HP used something unique.  It is a hybrid approach, using (I imagine) a voltage controlled amplifier to give 0.1dB increments over a 10dB range which is then fed into the step attenutator stages.

The first stage has two inputs - a low band (0.1 - 123.5 MHz) and a high band (123.5 - 990 MHz) - with two 30dB pads ... and a couple of extras.
The second stage has 10dB, 20dB and 30dB pads ... and a couple of extras.

The pads are controlled by the application of either 0V or 15V to the relevant terminal.  When 15V is applied, you can hear a click - so we have some relays inside.  With 15V voltage applied to both control pins on the first stage, measurement between the low band input and the output show effectively no resistance.  The logic appears to be 0V - pad in, 15V pad out.

I mapped out the voltages on the pad control terminals against the attenuation display and by simply using the pad values noted on the schematic and the above logic, this table fell out very naturally.

With this, one would expect a zero loss path through the second stage, with the three relevant control inputs supplied with 15V - but nothing was getting through.

Open heart surgery is next on the list.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 01:53:38 am by Brumby »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26041 on: February 24, 2019, 02:58:11 am »
 Glad you are gaining 'experience' from your TEA @brumby  ;)

Heading to Bunnings to use my TEA exchange finally, no doubt additional funds will be required too :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26042 on: February 24, 2019, 03:29:10 am »
Good luck at Bunnings.  I find extra funds are required every time I go ...  ::)

Surgery performed.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't quite like this - a full soldered fillet down both sides....

Will be interested to see how much I can work out from this - and whether the necessary repair can be done from this side.

My money's on Murphy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:50:33 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26043 on: February 24, 2019, 03:46:39 am »
Welp, that is a right proper charlie-foxtrot you got there, Brumby. Maybe you need to go looking for that FRU Kit; perhaps you'll get lucky and find that somebody else has already solved this riddle.

Good hunting!

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*  :=\

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26044 on: February 24, 2019, 04:22:16 am »
 :-BROKE Time for a thread with the RF and Hams @brumby I reckon  :)

Just into three figures over the voucher  :phew: sort of.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:24:34 am by beanflying »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26045 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:59 am »
Looks like something I built. Bet the contacts are smoked on one of the RF relays when it’s supposed to be short. Probably someone connected their radio to the output to do receiver testing and accidentally keyed down. Mr attenuator said “fum” and went to attenuator heaven. I would test each attenuator pad with an ohmmeter carefully.

TBF teks leaf switch arrangement was better than that thing by the looks.

@Specmaster: cool videos. Thanks for posting  :-+

I’m going to haul my ass to the hamfest. Wish me luck.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26046 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:16 am »
Looks like something I built. Bet the contacts are smoked on one of the RF relays when it’s supposed to be short. Probably someone connected their radio to the output to do receiver testing and accidentally keyed down. Mr attenuator said “fum” and went to attenuator heaven. I would test each attenuator pad with an ohmmeter carefully.

OK here's wishing you luck, you can be my ears and eyes on this occasion and see if it's worth visiting on another occasion. Funds are a bit low after getting the camera and a new 15 to 250 telephoto lens to add to my 70 to 300 one. So then I'll have 2 cameras with me, a 50D and the 7D.[emoji106]
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:25:19 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26047 on: February 24, 2019, 08:29:59 am »
Sometimes my TEA comes in the form of Digital and Tongueular devices. BFC and Chips in the shack after a successful repair to a small fryer for a freebie non customer. Was going to be S&P Calamari but none available fresh.

500g of Skinless Chicken Thighs marinated in Nandos secret sauce with a few extras for more heat.
S&P spiked Gluten Free Flour (because it works better) and coat well.
Drop into 190C for 5-6 minutes then apply Test Equipment.  :-+

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, salvagedcircuitry

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26048 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:21 am »

OK here's wishing you luck, you can be my ears and eyes on this occasion and see if it's worth visiting on another occasion. Funds are a bit low after getting the camera and a new 15 to 250 telephoto lens to add to my 70 to 300 one. So then I'll have 2 cameras with me, a 50D and the 7D.[emoji106]

Looking reasonable so far. Queuing nice and early. It’s bloody freezing though  :--

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26049 on: February 24, 2019, 09:37:59 am »
Bet the contacts are smoked on one of the RF relays when it’s supposed to be short.
That's one of the things I was concerned about.  Access could only be gained (practically) by decapitation.

Probably someone connected their radio to the output to do receiver testing and accidentally keyed down. Mr attenuator said “fum” and went to attenuator heaven.
There is reverse power protection.  At the right you can see a coil wrapped in yellow which surrounds a reed relay, so that will (should) open to protect upstream.

:-BROKE Time for a thread with the RF and Hams @brumby I reckon  :)
I had thought about that since I don't want to clutter this thread too much - but I thought it only fair to share my initiation experience...

Just into three figures over the voucher  :phew: sort of.
Relax.  That's normal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf