Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14806550 times)

Carl_Smith, Jambalaya and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26075 on: February 25, 2019, 12:19:26 am »
Keeping up the HP theme. 419A Amplifier Board and trimmers. Love card mounted construction for easy access :) Fair bit of rework on the right hand side and a bit in the middle  :-//
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:22:48 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26076 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:52 am »
"It's not fair to tempt... and tempting fate is just stupid." ~ grandmother
Well, its two red marked terminals for plus and minus is common HP style. I'm used to it. Forces me to always check twice.   >:D

[ :rant: ]

Don't care that HP repeatedly did something extremely stupid. It's your instrument; you don't have to live with that stupidity. You wouldn't replace a duff tant with another of the same type; you'd upgrade. You wouldn't live with any of a dozen substandard AC power connections that were commonly used on old test equipment; you'd upgrade to a proper IEC socket. This is no different. Standards for safe marking of inputs and outputs have evolved.

Of course as it's your instrument, you are also allowed to propagate said stupidity if you wish... but that is at your own risk, and when you do plug it in backwards and let the magic smoke out of something, at least you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your HP is "All original", including the original dumb ideas.  ;)

[/ :rant: ]

Also, @URI:  :P PPPPPPPTTTTTTTTPPPPPBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTPPPPPPPBBBBBB!!!!

mnem
Of course, I've had my own share of dumb ideas; let's start with having my first kid at age 40 and work our way back...  :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:11:52 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #26077 on: February 25, 2019, 02:16:23 am »
Off topic again but for those interested here are some test shots on my new Canon 7D and Sigma 15-250 zoom lens.

Excellent, spec! Now I feel like having a photo day at the airport(s). There is an international and a municipal airfield not too far away from me. Big planes or little planes? Big planes or little planes? Decisions, decisions. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #26078 on: February 25, 2019, 02:23:20 am »
Nice!  :-+
-And I see that yours has two terminals with red markings for plus and minus, too. Classic.   :popcorn:

Yeah, they seem to be a bit schizo in that regard - my older ones seem to be red-black-black, and the newer ones are red-red-black.  I guess they changed the color coding because the negative isn't always tied to ground.  It bothered me at first, but now I just make sure to look at the markings.

(And it seems I've been on a bit of a 'power trip' over the last year and a half or so...)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26079 on: February 25, 2019, 02:27:31 am »
Wow, so much going on here... managed to catch up though.   :horse:

Impressive. (spoken with Darth Vader's voice)

Wow, so much going    Ok, while I was just reading and reading and reading I received a neat little power supply I got cheaply because it was equipped with a US power plug and wired for 115V. No problem with that as the service manual shows how to configure it for 230V.   :)   The voltage fine adjustment knob has a missing piece but that's not a big deal. I rewired the little guy for 230V, swapped the US power cord with a CEE 7/4 ("Schuko") -plug cord. After that I performed a quick test and checked the electrolytic caps. -They were all better than their spec. As a result the little supply worked fine. But the meter needed adjustment.  :-/O

Nice find. Every time I see those in that green color, I feel like putting a US Army logo on it. ;D

Can you post a closeup comparison between the look-alike and original binding posts? They do look very similar in that photo.

That screwcap on the (-) terminal though... you should for sure attack the red ring on it with a black Sharpie. Leaving it with two red rings like that is just taunting Murphy.  :-+

HP did use that color scheme for quite a long time, I guess to differentiate between powered terminals (red) and ground (black). I'd also prefer red (power), black (common), black (ground) unless you have a green one handy to use for ground.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:29:33 am by bitseeker »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26080 on: February 25, 2019, 02:29:38 am »
Off topic again but for those interested here are some test shots on my new Canon 7D and Sigma 15-250 zoom lens.
Excellent, spec! Now I feel like having a photo day at the airport(s). There is an international and a municipal airfield not too far away from me. Big planes or little planes? Big planes or little planes? Decisions, decisions. :-DD

Little. Very, very little.   >:D

mnem
*Changing the subject*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26081 on: February 25, 2019, 02:31:06 am »
Tallking of which if anyone has any knob caps for HP stuff lying around they don't want, I'm interested. The lack of them is grating on me to the point I nearly spent £40 on something to sacrifice just for the knob caps :-DD

They must be in cahoots with feet. Trouble makers, all of them. :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26082 on: February 25, 2019, 02:34:13 am »
Tallking of which if anyone has any knob caps for HP stuff lying around they don't want, I'm interested. The lack of them is grating on me to the point I nearly spent £40 on something to sacrifice just for the knob caps :-DD

I didn't know they were worth that much, but these are just begging for make a silly offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hp-Agilent-Knob-joblot-HP-Rotary-Switch-Knob-Joblot/113617071108

Hehe, how about $5 + shipping for a single knob...and it's still missing the cap! https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-0370-2986-Knob/123610568443

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26083 on: February 25, 2019, 02:53:34 am »
Nice!  :-+
-And I see that yours has two terminals with red markings for plus and minus, too. Classic.   :popcorn:

Yeah, they seem to be a bit schizo in that regard - my older ones seem to be red-black-black, and the newer ones are red-red-black.  I guess they changed the color coding because the negative isn't always tied to ground.  It bothered me at first, but now I just make sure to look at the markings.

(And it seems I've been on a bit of a 'power trip' over the last year and a half or so...)

-Pat

I get that, and I understand that there are a LOT of HP instruments out there with that confusing color labeling scheme... I have the same on my 3478A, and I think it's stupid there too. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to resolve it, though I'm leaning towards gluing Scope Probe markers or colored silicone o-rings around the jacks. I'd still prefer something more straightforward, like color coded decals for the 4-wire source terminals and the "(-)"/"LO" input terminal. No idea how I'd make those though; I don't believe my 3DPrinter will do work that fine.

Other manufacturers resolved it by using a third color to indicate the connection that was below GND, and/or by using green for GND. no idea what HP were thinking there, though. I realize these power supplies were made this way to feed TTL logic and op-amps that needed (+) & (-) power rails on top of 5-12V for the analog circuitry; so it was new territory then. But it's like they picked the worst, most confusing solution possible. :palm:

mnem
The devil on my shoulder says: "One Word: Turnover.  >:D "
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:58:39 am by mnementh »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26084 on: February 25, 2019, 03:09:37 am »
It also doesn't help that they weren't consistent in their choice, either.

I don't have any Flukes with both common and ground terminals, but all the commons are black. The 8100A has HI (red), LO (black), and GUARD (blue).

Offline JXL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26085 on: February 25, 2019, 03:20:02 am »
Use heatshrink tubing to color code:

The following users thanked this post: URI

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26086 on: February 25, 2019, 04:15:48 am »
Oh, I haven't seen that before.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26087 on: February 25, 2019, 04:50:37 am »
Off topic again but for those interested here are some test shots on my new Canon 7D and Sigma 15-250 zoom lens. I went to North Weald as planned but it was quiet so I went to Stansted instead and got real close to end of the runway (almost directly under the flightpath) and took a few photos to test the speed of focus and clarity of the new lens as well. I'm really impressed with the results so far, what do you guys think?

With the amount of birds flying around there, it's a surprise that there have not been many if any actual bird strikes reported, as you see in the 2nd and 3rd photos, this plane appears to have a near miss today.

I did try some 1080p video but they were just to close for comfort and I have to practise a bit more before I can post a short clip, it really needs to be mounted on a tripod as its a heavy camera and not meant to be handheld at arms length as both the zoom and focus are manually controlled.  :palm:

Nice pics!

The 7D look like a fine camera. Seeing all the new features in there make me wonder if I should upgrade mine. I still use my old Canon 5D.

If you are looking for a tripod I recommand Manfrotto. A bit more expansive but super solid and working really well. I forgot mine on the roof of my car once. Fell out of the car on a big boulevard at high speed. It's still in one piece with some marks  :)

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26088 on: February 25, 2019, 05:00:14 am »

Sigma makes some amazing glass.  I bought the 50-100 f/1.8 zoom for my 7d mk II and it's unbelievable.  Lightning fast focus and razor sharp - two things that many lenses claim but it really is.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #26089 on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:46 am »
Off topic again but for those interested here are some test shots on my new Canon 7D and Sigma 15-250 zoom lens. I went to North Weald as planned but it was quiet so I went to Stansted instead and got real close to end of the runway (almost directly under the flightpath) and took a few photos to test the speed of focus and clarity of the new lens as well. I'm really impressed with the results so far, what do you guys think?

With the amount of birds flying around there, it's a surprise that there have not been many if any actual bird strikes reported, as you see in the 2nd and 3rd photos, this plane appears to have a near miss today.

I did try some 1080p video but they were just to close for comfort and I have to practise a bit more before I can post a short clip, it really needs to be mounted on a tripod as its a heavy camera and not meant to be handheld at arms length as both the zoom and focus are manually controlled.  :palm:

Nice pics!

The 7D look like a fine camera. Seeing all the new features in there make me wonder if I should upgrade mine. I still use my old Canon 5D.

If you are looking for a tripod I recommand Manfrotto. A bit more expansive but super solid and working really well. I forgot mine on the roof of my car once. Fell out of the car on a big boulevard at high speed. It's still in one piece with some marks  :)

Second this. I haven't had time for photography in a while, but I use a Manfrotto tripod an it's well worth it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26090 on: February 25, 2019, 07:45:39 am »
It's still stupid. To paraphrase Dickens: "If HP presumes otherwise, then HP is a ass."

[EDIT]
If I had that supply, I would immediately move the cap with the black ring to COM, then paint the ring on the removed cap green for the GND terminal. What do you guys over there use for EARTH GND... GREEN w/YELLOW Stripe, right? That would be harder... but still doable with a steady hand, or maybe a bit of pinstriping tape. If I lived there, it would be a regular part of my toolkit for sure.
[/EDIT]

I agree it's stupid. If you have a look at the TTi power supply above it, it's got red/black/plain for +/-/GND respectively which is more sensible.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26091 on: February 25, 2019, 07:47:27 am »

I didn't know they were worth that much, but these are just begging for make a silly offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hp-Agilent-Knob-joblot-HP-Rotary-Switch-Knob-Joblot/113617071108?hash=item1a741aec04:g:dQ4AAOSwoZJcCSdt:rk:8:pf:0

David

Yeah I saw that one a while back. I did consider making an offer on just three knobs. The seller is quite flexible. I have bought individual parts from his lots before.

However there's something horrid about putting money into a "test gear freddy krueger" outfit.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #26092 on: February 25, 2019, 08:39:38 am »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hp-Agilent-Knob-joblot-HP-Rotary-Switch-Knob-Joblot/113617071108

Hehe, how about $5 + shipping for a single knob...and it's still missing the cap! https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-0370-2986-Knob/123610568443
If you want a laugh - post on that item is $50 to AUS!
I have had a little success in making a little plug with a drill press (as lathe) out of grey plastic - while not a great colour match, you don't see it unless you look for it.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26093 on: February 25, 2019, 08:42:39 am »
This is a confirmed "go" for next Monday. I will be meeting my Brother in New Jersey to pick up these bad boys. They are surplus from the IBM Raleigh, North Carolina facility. He managed the snag them for me before they went to the scrapper. Him and his wife are visiting friends in New Jersey so I'll make the road trip and pick them up.

Apparently from the label the 2430 has issues. And I'll bet that's not it's only issue. That guy is sort of a "hybrid" early analog/DSO and it may be a real challenge to get it running. The condition of the 475A is also unknown but you can bet bastard tants will be part of the program.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #26094 on: February 25, 2019, 08:44:30 am »
Re grey knob, picture below - I think I might take one of the original to a hobby store and get a better colour match.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26095 on: February 25, 2019, 08:49:48 am »

If you want a laugh - post on that item is $50 to AUS!
I have had a little success in making a little plug with a drill press (as lathe) out of grey plastic - while not a great colour match, you don't see it unless you look for it.

There is this option to clone your vintage knob too. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2150377/?topicseen#msg2150377

Should  have a thread on knob and feet replacements? 3D, CNC, Resin or other options?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26096 on: February 25, 2019, 09:07:54 am »
This is a confirmed "go" for next Monday. I will be meeting my Brother in New Jersey to pick up these bad boys. They are surplus from the IBM Raleigh, North Carolina facility. He managed the snag them for me before they went to the scrapper. Him and his wife are visiting friends in New Jersey so I'll make the road trip and pick them up.

Apparently from the label the 2430 has issues. And I'll bet that's not it's only issue. That guy is sort of a "hybrid" early analog/DSO and it may be a real challenge to get it running. The condition of the 475A is also unknown but you can bet bastard tants will be part of the program.  ::)

Nice haul.

I think the 2430 has the same hybrids in it as the 2445 so worst case it can be a donormobile if you come across one of them in the future.

And the 475A, what can I say but probably the highest performing 4xx scope they made. Still need to fix mine. Haven't had the motivation recently.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26097 on: February 25, 2019, 10:22:59 am »
And the 475A, what can I say but probably the highest performing 4xx scope they made.

<Cough>485</cough>. Including a real 50ohm input and attenuator, plus a pretty blue screen (usually) :)  None of that 50ohms stuffed across 20pF crap.

Still need to fix mine. Haven't had the motivation recently.

I have a 465B like that :( No sweep, hopefully just the trigger needs adjusting.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26098 on: February 25, 2019, 10:34:57 am »

Nice haul.

I think the 2430 has the same hybrids in it as the 2445 so worst case it can be a donormobile if you come across one of them in the future.

And the 475A, what can I say but probably the highest performing 4xx scope they made. Still need to fix mine. Haven't had the motivation recently.

Been watching some you tube videos on the 2430 and the higher B/W 2440 and one of the bigger issues is the cal data is stored in NVRAM with a backup lithium battery. Of course after 30 years the battery has gone south and the scope loses all it's cookies. And a million dollars worth of test equipment is required to recal and it looks like it won't fully boot until that's complete. If that's true it will wind up for sale.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26099 on: February 25, 2019, 10:41:14 am »
Oh Great another set of paws for next years 2,3,5 am Clomp Fest  |O Within easy broom reach but I am a softy  :palm:

Sort of Cute.....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf