Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14828730 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #26225 on: February 27, 2019, 08:22:39 am »
Sounds about right unfortunately with three phase Chinese :horse: Even when the company I worked for were importing Lowara pumps directly we had them shipped without motors then fitted up what suited the application as we did mainly industrial work and the Italians skimped on the motors.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26226 on: February 27, 2019, 08:31:08 am »
Not more than 5 minutes ago an event took place that I've been anticipating since 1968. The first Social Security payment just passed into my account. That's MY money that I've been contributing since then and I want it.  :-DD I'm glad something in the .gov is working despite the politicians using SSI as a slush fund for other stuff and is going broke.  :palm:

The first job in 1968: part time in a Stationery dept in a now defunct department store.     

The spending restriction here has been lifted. Just submitted orders to Amazon and Mouser. More to follow.  :-+ 

Lucky you. They introduced opt out private pensions for everyone here on top of our usual NI contributions because they know it’s going down the shitter in the future for us. It’s bad because most of the pension funds you’re backing are high risk. This is basically government selling out to the pension companies. I’m working a few loopholes here so I get a private pension in case the state one gives out.

Thing to note with SS / state pension payments is that you didn’t save any money for them initially. They were a scam when first offered. The objective was to bring spendable tax income and worry about the consequences later. It’s getting towards later now and everyone else is effectively paying your payments now. At some point there is a deficit as general health improves and population growth increases.

Be afraid if you’re under 30. They’re going to be hit the hardest in the future. They’re not smoking, drinking and eating crap like we did and rather enjoy a bit of excercise.

Either way I am well isolated from this mess as I work on the assumption I don’t get anything. If I do get something then it’s disposable income. Win win.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26227 on: February 27, 2019, 09:39:54 am »
Hmm... I hope for both our sakes that you're right, but I recall a while ago that some of the private pension companies had gone to the wall taking the funds with them :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26228 on: February 27, 2019, 09:57:44 am »
Hmm... I hope for both our sakes that you're right, but I recall a while ago that some of the private pension companies had gone to the wall taking the funds with them :palm:

I also get a pension from Itty Bitty Morons but they forced me out at age 55 with nearly 36 years. I was vested so entitled to a pension but since I had to take it 10 years "early" it's a lesser amount than if I left at say 62 or 65.

Other stuff...every time I think about washing/cleaning the Honda CR-V and getting the road salt and grime off it we get another snow event. 2 to 4 inches expected tonight. I am soooooo sick of Winter.  :rant: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26229 on: February 27, 2019, 10:10:23 am »
Yikes! That's a big mo-fo. It has mortgage the farm written all over it.  :scared:
Na, it twasn't too bad, NZD950 plus a 1hr drive each way to collect it.  :phew:

Nearly 50kg though and the backend pulsed at little getting it into place.  :-DD
No dodgy electrics this time, eh[emoji1696]

It was made in China from potentially dubious stainless steel ources and involves mains wiring what could possibly go wrong  :o
Runs a bit too warm Bean and researching as to why this arvo.

Is the motor ex China @Tautech or a local sourced IEC flanged one that meets a local spec?
:-DD
Funny you ask as my sparky mate said most Chinese 3 phase motors are only rated to 380VAC and as a consequence they can run hot on our 3 phase 415VAC.
The name plate looks OK and I don't think it's forged as the motor is drawing the correct labeled current whereas the LEO website only lists 380VAC versions drawing 4.7A.

The fan on it is pretty pitiful though and could be much better IMHO. Bloody thing would fry in OZ.  :scared:

Ok so some quick thoughts based on their own 'claimed' data. The Motor is potentially overloaded if you run it to far out on the curve. The 7000 L/hr you mentioned this morning puts you at 0.2kW/stage and you have 12 so last time I did maths that is 2.4kW Pin and you have on looking at the photo more carefully a motor rated at 2.2kW likely Pout but potentially using Chinese logic not derated by the 'claimed efficiency'.

Quick fix is drop a gate valve on the outlet if you don't have one and choke the flow back to reduce the load lest you see smoke. Curve power/stage is below. Basics are higher pressure with lower flow is less power absorbed. Drop a clamp meter on it to set and check the motor Temp as well as you can.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26230 on: February 27, 2019, 10:14:16 am »

Yeah they have but you can usually see that coming a mile off or it was a poor investment to start with. A lot of them are running on top of pyramid schemes. My father got bitten by that. Always diversify your investments and reduce risk! My personal advice is that you need enough diversity to give you a headache on your tax return!  :-DD

Back on TEA. Need a DDS again for some RF stuff and I don't want to fish out for a proper signal generator. So I was looking at the Rigol DG822 which is not a lot of money TBH. I've expressed my hatred of this design already so I went objectively for specs only with the idea of keeping my prejudices against shitty screens away.

Well it turns out it's crap compared to the much much older DG1022Z. Phase noise is worse. Spurs and harmonic distortion are worse. No LXI. It has a touch screen instead of entry buttons. 16-bit is a lie - the DG800's samples are truncated to 14-bits.

So off to Siglent. SDG1025 looks the job. Hmm no LXI, phase noise worse than DG1022Z, much worse harmonic performance above a few MHz, channel 2 is crippled compared to channel 1 (just no).

Edit: slid the MSO5000 in there. That has terrible terrible harmonic performance. Awful.

What a crapfest. DG1022Z it is. Again.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:23:52 am by bd139 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26231 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:42 am »
Not more than 5 minutes ago an event took place that I've been anticipating since 1968. The first Social Security payment just passed into my account. That's MY money that I've been contributing since then and I want it.  :-DD

I'm sure you realise that your contribution wasn't saved for you, but was spent on your parents generation's pension. You will rely on your childrens generation pension.

Now consider the number of boomers vs number of youngsters... making sure to avoid politics.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26232 on: February 27, 2019, 10:37:01 am »

I have a couple of small pensions accrued with small companies, and they have been put into "special measures", i.e. the governments "pension protection fund". To avoid "moral hazard", it only pays out 90% of the value at 65 with less inflation proofing.

In other news, people are being told that their future defined benefit schemes will be paying out a couple of percent less, not because of brexit, oh no.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26233 on: February 27, 2019, 10:46:58 am »
I think Oz has the balance about correct with a backup Government Pension and Compulsory Employer contributions for most workers. Employees can add to that as well and get a Tax break for it. I can see them over time phasing out the Government one or certainly limiting access to those really in need as the other really kicks in for those younger than me.

Still 10-15 years to go for me in spite of classing myself as semi-retired already ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26234 on: February 27, 2019, 10:50:27 am »

I have a couple of small pensions accrued with small companies, and they have been put into "special measures", i.e. the governments "pension protection fund". To avoid "moral hazard", it only pays out 90% of the value at 65 with less inflation proofing.

In other news, people are being told that their future defined benefit schemes will be paying out a couple of percent less, not because of brexit, oh no.

Good advice. I intend to retire at 52. Thus I'm working on investments to bridge the gap between 52 and 65 and then pension after that. I can't sit still so my retirement will probably be starting another business.

Just watch it with the default FCA backed guarantees. They only pay up to 100% of the pot, assuming they have the capital to back it, which they don't. A lot of people, including IFAs tend to advise in favour of that because they get more commission selling anything outside defined benefit schemes. Cunts.

Edit: just to note I did a bit in "algorithmic compliance" which is now called something else I think because it scared all the poor snowflakes with their Rolexes and £500 lunch bills. Do your own research always and understand it. Don't go near an adviser unless his office is a complete mess and he drives a banger/shed/crate and wears a 10 year old casio watch and has holes in his shoes.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 10:55:29 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #26235 on: February 27, 2019, 11:39:08 am »
Not more than 5 minutes ago an event took place that I've been anticipating since 1968. The first Social Security payment just passed into my account. That's MY money that I've been contributing since then and I want it.  :-DD

I'm sure you realise that your contribution wasn't saved for you, but was spent on your parents generation's pension. You will rely on your childrens generation pension.

Now consider the number of boomers vs number of youngsters... making sure to avoid politics.

Of course I realize that. And I'm going to grab my share while I can.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #26236 on: February 27, 2019, 11:53:27 am »

Yeah they have but you can usually see that coming a mile off or it was a poor investment to start with. A lot of them are running on top of pyramid schemes. My father got bitten by that. Always diversify your investments and reduce risk! My personal advice is that you need enough diversity to give you a headache on your tax return!  :-DD

Back on TEA. Need a DDS again for some RF stuff and I don't want to fish out for a proper signal generator. So I was looking at the Rigol DG822 which is not a lot of money TBH. I've expressed my hatred of this design already so I went objectively for specs only with the idea of keeping my prejudices against shitty screens away.

Well it turns out it's crap compared to the much much older DG1022Z. Phase noise is worse. Spurs and harmonic distortion are worse. No LXI. It has a touch screen instead of entry buttons. 16-bit is a lie - the DG800's samples are truncated to 14-bits.

So off to Siglent. SDG1025 looks the job. Hmm no LXI, phase noise worse than DG1022Z, much worse harmonic performance above a few MHz, channel 2 is crippled compared to channel 1 (just no).

Edit: slid the MSO5000 in there. That has terrible terrible harmonic performance. Awful.

What a crapfest. DG1022Z it is. Again.

Why not :) I came to the same conclusions. RIGOL only likes the DG800 stuff because it is a lot easier to make and has higher profit margins.
I find their new design really bad in a lot of aspects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26237 on: February 27, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »

Hmm, not been told that yet, I have 3 occupational pensions that so far I have not tapped into because my advisor advised me not to, but to use the state scheme and any savings I have first as the pension pot will be accruing more than my personal savings would be so I just hope that I was given good advice. If not I shall have to sell my body later to survive and that would mean I'd be shuffling off the face of the earth sooner than I'd like because my body wouldn't get 5p for it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #26238 on: February 27, 2019, 12:23:58 pm »

Of course I realize that. And I'm going to grab my share while I can.

The original Ponzi scheme - funding early "investors" from new "investor" funds.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26239 on: February 27, 2019, 12:24:18 pm »

Edit: just to note I did a bit in "algorithmic compliance" which is now called something else I think because it scared all the poor snowflakes with their Rolexes and £500 lunch bills. Do your own research always and understand it. Don't go near an adviser unless his office is a complete mess and he drives a banger/shed/crate and wears a 10 year old casio watch and has holes in his shoes.

Yep, he most certainly would appear to fit the bill of needing your commission fee to survive another day...hang a cotton picking moment here, thats a bit like saying only trust a travelling sales rep if he drives a Skoda  :palm: I had a Skoda as a company car  :wtf: :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26240 on: February 27, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »
Skodas used to be bad. They're just Audis in disguise now.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26241 on: February 27, 2019, 12:45:27 pm »
And that my friends is why I chose to buy my old company car.... But it wasn't that many years ago that companies would reward their least successful sales reps with having to drive the company car of shame for a month, a Skoda Octavia until of course they slowly emerged from the old image they used to have. These days they really are cars of impeccable taste and great value for money, my Superb really does live upto its name in every sense. Its 5 years old, lives outside all the time, it's not modi coddled like so many cars that live in garages. It has no signs of rust, still with everything as original apart from tyres, water pump and cam belt, starts first time everytime, automatic and power everything, looks like a new car and I have never polished it, just use the normal drive through car wash, it's perfect.  How many cars could you say that about, not many I bet  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #26242 on: February 27, 2019, 01:01:19 pm »
I think Oz has the balance about correct with a backup Government Pension and Compulsory Employer contributions for most workers. Employees can add to that as well and get a Tax break for it. I can see them over time phasing out the Government one or certainly limiting access to those really in need as the other really kicks in for those younger than me.

You only get the tax break up to a point, too far beyond that, and even the required employer contributions trip an extra tax. I'm at the point where for a few reasons my "bonus payments to the tax office" outgoings are several times larger than my TEA outgoings. Good problem to have, but still annoying.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #26243 on: February 27, 2019, 01:12:13 pm »

If you guys are interested in some RF 'porn' , how about 370W, linear modulation, at 1296MHz,
Below are the splitter and combiner of the PA, needs about 20-30A at 28V.
Output is via the small heliax. Built for some earth-moon-earth but got p****ed off with quite a few transmit-receive sequencing issues - and kept blowing up the pre-amp 36dB gain NF 0.3. I will come back to it at some stage!

Ummm... w00t?  :-DD

I don't know enough wave propagation theory to know if that's bad or good... but it has a definite Doc Brown feel to it, and it makes the hairs on the back of my neck prickle up from all the way over here, so there must be some proper µ-wave voodoo in there!  :-+

mnem
" µ-wave is the fine art of making radio waves dance sideways while acting like a photon. " Old man Kirsch
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 01:57:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26244 on: February 27, 2019, 01:43:20 pm »
I should not have watched this. Our leader telling me I should have a 6.5 digit DMM on my bench. He almost has me convinced.  :scared:

If you don't hear from me I'll be on Evil bay.  :-DD

*Huggles his 189 close*  :scared:

In other news...

Some people will talk themselves out of anything:

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the local outlet grocery store... in their "move it fast" refrigerator case, they had one of the cheap brands of "irregular slices" bacon, 50¢ for a 1lb package because it was a few days away from the "best by" date. There were 3 or 4 people there looking over the stuff; lots of almost-empty boxes littered the space, and there they were trying to convince themselves out loud there was some reason not to buy it. The math here wasn't that hard... real sliced bacon, still fresh and pink in the vacuum-sealed package, for 50¢ a lb should be a no-brainer.  :-//

So, while they were all hemming and hawwing, I walked right up, grabbed the last almost full box, and put it in my cart.
"There is no such thing as 'bad' bacon." was all I said as I rolled away.
  8)

Later, after I unboxed it all so I could fit it in every last nook and cranny of our two freezers (along with a monster pork roast also being sold much too cheaply) I counted up the boxes. I'd just bought 31 pounds of halfway-decent, if funny looking, (but still all full slices) hickory-smoked bacon. The wife declared it good this morning; she ate 1/4 of what I'd made while I was packing them for her breakfast along with some dirty fried eggs and toast.  :-+ :-+ :-+

You can call me "The Baconator".  :-DD

mnem
Unless, of course, it's gone BAD. Well, DUH.   ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26245 on: February 27, 2019, 01:54:16 pm »
Yeah, I grew up on a farm. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about; as my grandfather used to say: "You can't make a living selling to people who're scraping the earth for pocket change."

There's a reason I got away from "the life" as quick as I could when I grew up: You don't get up and go to work; you get up and you're surrounded by it. And poverty. :o

mnem
"You want to make a living, sell what people need. You want to MAKE MONEY, you sell what people WANT." ~ grandmother.
Isn't that what farmers do? We all need food, cannot survive without it. Hmm, come to think of it, us Brits might have to survive with less of it after March 29[emoji44]
FAMILY Farms, yeah, that's still true. There are several good reasons they're on the endangered species list: Con Agra & Bayer-Monsanto top that list.  |O

mnem
"Human beings can adapt to anything; even living constantly on the brink of their own self-destruction." ~ my mom

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26246 on: February 27, 2019, 02:04:35 pm »
Not more than 5 minutes ago an event took place that I've been anticipating since 1968. The first Social Security payment just passed into my account. That's MY money that I've been contributing since then and I want it.  :-DD I'm glad something in the .gov is working despite the politicians using SSI as a slush fund for other stuff and is going broke.  :palm:

The first job in 1968: part time in a Stationery dept in a now defunct department store.     

The spending restriction here has been lifted. Just submitted orders to Amazon and Mouser. More to follow.  :-+

I've spent the last 20 years working in Texas; the only state in the union to have found a way to completely loophole out of Social Security. I have about 15 years before that working in civilized parts of the world, and a year and a half worth of "private pension" from the ISD I worked at a few years ago.

My retiement will be slim unless I win the lottery.  :-\

mnem
TX really is the asshole of the nation. And Houston is the hairy little sphincter.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26247 on: February 27, 2019, 02:14:57 pm »
I also get a pension from Itty Bitty Morons but they forced me out at age 55 with nearly 36 years. I was vested so entitled to a pension but since I had to take it 10 years "early" it's a lesser amount than if I left at say 62 or 65.

Other stuff...every time I think about washing/cleaning the Honda CR-V and getting the road salt and grime off it we get another snow event. 2 to 4 inches expected tonight. I am soooooo sick of Winter.  :rant:
I'm sure you know this, but a gentle reminder from someone who used to fix cars for a living in the salt belt: there is no good excuse for NOT washing your car at least twice a week during salt season, no matter what. If you like your cars at all, wash them every other day with the undercar wash enabled.

Just like your teeth; ignore them and they will go away.  :-+

mnem
*Sponsored by the Tin Termite Eradication League*
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:52:45 pm by mnementh »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26248 on: February 27, 2019, 02:23:26 pm »
If you guys are interested in some RF 'porn' , how about 370W, linear modulation, at 1296MHz,
Below are the splitter and combiner of the PA, needs about 20-30A at 28V.
Output is via the small heliax. Built for some earth-moon-earth but got p****ed off with quite a few transmit-receive sequencing issues - and kept blowing up the pre-amp 36dB gain NF 0.3. I will come back to it at some stage!

my former boss is down the EME rabbit hole.

he is crazy for it on every band up to 10 Ghz.

geeeeze.  I thought I was a freak.  he can spend hours just explaining how the system points the damn dish,  is obsessed with sun noise,  AND about twice a month something blows up and he has to ship exotic units to germany for repair. 

not sure why it is so addictive.  he sets everything up and then can actually leave the room while the computer tracks the moon, answers calls, and logs the contacts.

he can go back into the shack the next morning to see how much fun he had overnight.

some fun hey???

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:28:53 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26249 on: February 27, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »

That is a bald-faced lie propagated by our corrupt Congress as an excuse for pillaging the last solvent financial structure in the US government, plain & simple. As it stands, if we don't let them get their filthy little pecker-beaters on it, SSI will remain solvent well into the '60s. And that's AFTER Unka Ronnie AND George Senior AND President Cheny each stole approx a trillion (or more, depending on whom you ask) to prop up their failed budget policies.

This is not politics: it is effing HISTORY.

mnem
"Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Those who do learn those lessons are doomed to stand by in horror, helpless to prevent the imbeciles around them from repeating those mistakes. This is Cassandra's Conundrum."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:59:20 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf