Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14548517 times)

Robert763 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29250 on: April 14, 2019, 01:56:56 am »
... but can I see it's feet?  ;D

Aside from some twitchy controls that probably only need a clean, that is the only shortcoming I've found with the 1740A I recently acquired.  All four rear feet have been "truncated".  This isn't a big deal as I plan on setting it up on a shelf (as soon as I acquire the space I mentioned a while ago  >:D ).

Have done some spot cleaning on the front panel and so far every "mark" I've come across has cleaned up perfectly.  I even thought I had a small scratch on the screen protector - but that disappeared after a clean with just a damp cloth.

So far, the only thing that stops this from looking "factory fresh" is the browning of the screen bezel.

This was a brilliant win.  Thanks to Bean for the heads up!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29251 on: April 14, 2019, 02:01:36 am »
... but can I see it's feet?  ;D

Aside from some twitchy controls that probably only need a clean, that is the only shortcoming I've found with the 1740A I recently acquired.  All four rear feet have been "truncated".  This isn't a big deal as I plan on setting it up on a shelf (as soon as I acquire the space I mentioned a while ago  >:D ).

Have done some spot cleaning on the front panel and so far every "mark" I've come across has cleaned up perfectly.  I even thought I had a small scratch on the screen protector - but that disappeared after a clean with just a damp cloth.

So far, the only thing that stops this from looking "factory fresh" is the browning of the screen bezel.

This was a brilliant win.  Thanks to Bean for the heads up!

No worries at all :) What you NEED now is a 3D Printer  :-DD https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/replacement-knobs-feet-and-fittings-for-test-equipment/msg2267919/#msg2267919
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29252 on: April 14, 2019, 02:29:20 am »
Don't laugh.  It's on my list.  (I have been following that thread.)

I am also having visions of putting together a large format motion system to support a laser cutter capable of a 48" x 36" working area ... with the option of fitting a 3D printing hot end, etc.

Lots of challenges with such big spans.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29253 on: April 14, 2019, 03:15:51 am »
just wanted to say thanks to you guys who pointed out firefly.

have been binge watching and am up to episode 7.

not sure how I missed this series.  spent a lot of time in Heidelberg the last half of 2002.  maybe afn didn't carry it?
It was mismanaged and canceled in its first season, so it's understandable that not everyone who would enjoy it knew about it. The follow up movie, Serenity, was made thanks to support/pressure from fans. Amazing.

Always a pleasure to find another Brown Coat. :-+ Even better, a Brown Coat TEA lover. :-+ :-+

So whatami, chopped Reaver?!?  :P

When you're done with Firefly and Serenity, hit Cowboy Bebop. This was one of the inspirational things for Firefly. Weird, hilarious and excellent.

Edit: must go to bed. Kempton tomorrow. TE fishing time!  :-DD

Faye Valentine was my laptop wallpaper all through my 2nd go round at Uni; toon crush number 1739.  :palm: Fortunately, my girlfriend said I could have her if I could catch her, provided I share. :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29254 on: April 14, 2019, 03:39:09 am »
https://youtu.be/QFjUbEAP-5U

She is one butt-ugly space mule... but the fact that she is... is beautiful.

I won't get to be a "Rocket Man"; but I may live to see the day when "... it's just my job, 5 days a week..."

mnem
We did that.  :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #29255 on: April 14, 2019, 04:10:45 am »
So... should I fork out the cash for a power supply and keep all the probes or liberate some cash that I might use for, umm, more practical test equipment?

I don't see much point in having 4GHz scope probes if your best scope is 300 MHz.  Which leaves only two options.  #1: Sell the probes and spend all the money on test other test equipment you can use, or, #2: Get a scope that needs 4GHz probes.   :)   This being TEA, the #2 option is probably indicated.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29256 on: April 14, 2019, 04:44:28 am »

mnem
*perspective*

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, worsthorse, bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29257 on: April 14, 2019, 05:18:57 am »
So... should I fork out the cash for a power supply and keep all the probes or liberate some cash that I might use for, umm, more practical test equipment?

I don't see much point in having 4GHz scope probes if your best scope is 300 MHz.  Which leaves only two options.  #1: Sell the probes and spend all the money on test other test equipment you can use, or, #2: Get a scope that needs 4GHz probes.   :)   This being TEA, the #2 option is probably indicated.

Truth is I spend very little time working above 100Mhz. My homebrew stuff rarely goes faster than 30HMz.  Of course, that hasn't stopped me from accumulating test equipment (2465, 8840B, etc) that does an order of magnitude or more better than that.  :-//   But that's a different story.

I will probably figure out how to test them and see if I can find them an owner who will appreciate than more than me.  Same with the LeCroy differential probes and amp.
specialization is for insects.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29258 on: April 14, 2019, 05:32:38 am »
In that case, I definitely agree with the above. Sell the 4 GHz probes and use the proceeds to finance things that you are more likely to use.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29259 on: April 14, 2019, 06:26:51 am »
Well this is a surprise. Took the 400E to bits completely and checked it over. Literally nothing up with it at all. It's immaculate.

All relevant capacitors reading decently low ESR so I'm leaving them (ESR meter earning its keep already!) and no sign of any damage to any other components in the unit. All rails on spec.

So I figured feck it, so hooked up my DG1022Z to the front with a 50 ohm termination and put 1V RMS into it at 1KHz and what does it read? 1V RMS precisely!

Cranked the frequency up. 500KHz, needle hasn't budged. 2MHz, same again, 6MHz same again, 10MHz same again. All good. This is where the response tails off apparently. Nope - got all the way up to 17.6MHz before it even budged. Well done HP. money well spent. Incidentally this will make a rather good HF power meter with a suitable load as it's good up to 300V RMS and termination is external.

Now on the shopping list:

1. Matching 427A
2. Matching 5221B nixie counter.

Not that I have a fetish (or one I am willing to talk about here) but can I see it's feet?  ;D

My 419A and Oculus's power meters don't have feet and I am not sure if Mondays 427A Multimeter has feet or not? I will be adding something to the feet and knob design when done.

Whatever floats your boat  :-DD

Drop me a PM to remind me and I’ll take some detailed measurements and photos for you later today.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29260 on: April 14, 2019, 06:35:59 am »

mnem
*perspective*

That reminds me of something utterly hilarious. My uncle was dying from skin cancer which had metastasised pretty bad and got into his brains. He was in pretty good spirits and not even slightly bothered about this really as he was 88. He spent the last four weeks of his life trying to come up with some good last words to instil wisdom and perspective in people. Basically ended up writing an Asimov type short story on perspective which concluded that nothing at all mattered (I’ll post it if i can find it). He prepared his last words for speech and was going to be silent after that. This was done. His last words slipped out later however “fucking hell jonno there’s a biro up my arse.”  :-DD He will always be remembered for that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 06:38:10 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29261 on: April 14, 2019, 07:00:52 am »
Received a replacement ADF4351 signal gen board....and it doesn't work either.  |O Refuses to lock on the internal xtal, and can't connect an external ref at all because it's missing one of the miniscule 0 ohm jumpers that connects the ref in/out SMA to the rest of the board.  :palm:

You get what you pay for with signal generators, that's for sure.

Interesting.

I bought this little signal genarator and it's based on the ADF4351, too:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-35M-4-4G-simple-signal-generator/172210964785

It's having problems locking to the internal xtal, too.
Since it has a working 10MHz reference input (a must have for my gear) it locks reliably to, I haven't bothered much since.

Perhaps we can find out, what's the problem is?    :-/O
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29262 on: April 14, 2019, 07:06:38 am »
Interested in finding out why as well as I was going to buy one of them for cheap microwave experiments ie not fishing out for an HP or something :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29263 on: April 14, 2019, 07:31:07 am »

mnem
*perspective*

That reminds me of something utterly hilarious. My uncle was dying from skin cancer which had metastasised pretty bad and got into his brains. He was in pretty good spirits and not even slightly bothered about this really as he was 88. He spent the last four weeks of his life trying to come up with some good last words to instil wisdom and perspective in people. Basically ended up writing an Asimov type short story on perspective which concluded that nothing at all mattered (I’ll post it if i can find it). He prepared his last words for speech and was going to be silent after that. This was done. His last words slipped out later however “fucking hell jonno there’s a biro up my arse.”  :-DD He will always be remembered for that.

It sort of reminds me of how big of an asshole Trump is.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29264 on: April 14, 2019, 07:32:37 am »
Indeed lol

Engineering my way into hamfest early failed so gone for a McDonald’s breakfast  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29265 on: April 14, 2019, 07:34:04 am »
Indeed lol

Engineering my way into hamfest early failed so gone for a McDonald’s breakfast  :-DD

All the good stuff will be gone. Hamfest here in 2 weeks.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29266 on: April 14, 2019, 07:35:19 am »
Received a replacement ADF4351 signal gen board....and it doesn't work either.  |O Refuses to lock on the internal xtal, and can't connect an external ref at all because it's missing one of the miniscule 0 ohm jumpers that connects the ref in/out SMA to the rest of the board.  :palm:

Interesting.

Since it has a working 10MHz reference input (a must have for my gear) it locks reliably to, I haven't bothered much since.

Interested in finding out why as well as I was going to buy one of them for cheap microwave experiments ie not fishing out for an HP or something :D

Well, I finally got it to lock after much fiddling. It works, better than the old one, but man the PLL chip gets blazing hot. Wouldn't be surprised if that isn't why the first one worked for a while then failed.

I did finally get it to lock after fiddling. These things are a bit touchy for sure. And the PLL itself runs damn hot.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29267 on: April 14, 2019, 07:57:09 am »

She is one butt-ugly space mule... but the fact that she is... is beautiful.

I won't get to be a "Rocket Man"; but I may live to see the day when "... it's just my job, 5 days a week..."

mnem
We did that.  :-+

Does it have or likely to have a job to do yet?

It sort of reminds me of how big of an asshole Trump is.  ::)

I prefer the one on the lower portion of the attachment, one of the others is interesting and sucks shit in and the other ....  :palm:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29268 on: April 14, 2019, 08:35:28 am »

Interesting.

Well, I finally got it to lock after much fiddling. It works, better than the old one, but man the PLL chip gets blazing hot. Wouldn't be surprised if that isn't why the first one worked for a while then failed.

I did finally get it to lock after fiddling. These things are a bit touchy for sure. And the PLL itself runs damn hot.

Ooookaay.

My SigGen seems to lock to the internal xtal after some warm-up time but only after I tweak the output frequency from the default 34MHz to e.g 134MHz.   :-//

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29269 on: April 14, 2019, 08:41:12 am »

Interesting.

Ooookaay.

My SigGen seems to lock to the internal xtal after some warm-up time but only after I tweak the output frequency from the default 34MHz to e.g 134MHz.   :-//

Seems more like the spec for the ADF4350 (137.5 MHz to 4400 MHz) instead of the 4351  :-// Either that or they havn't set the divide by ratio properly to get to the lower frequencies? https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADF4351.pdf

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29270 on: April 14, 2019, 09:16:28 am »

Interesting.

Ooookaay.

Seems more like the spec for the ADF4350 (137.5 MHz to 4400 MHz) instead of the 4351  :-// Either that or they havn't set the divide by ratio properly to get to the lower frequencies? https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADF4351.pdf

Hmm. Seems I didn't describe it clear enough:
After power on my ADF4351 based siggen defaults to 34MHz and stays unlocked. When I tweak the output frequency to e.g 134MHz (44MHz won't help) after a while the siggen then jumps to "L" (locked) and after that it stays locked whatever frequency between 34MHz and 4.61GHz I set.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29271 on: April 14, 2019, 10:08:03 am »
Well that was crap. Spend less than £10 on couple of tuning caps and a vernier drive.

No test gear worth buying.

Did consider buying a couple of old home brew radios for parts but only just broke even on those if I did which wasn’t worth it. Plus it feels bad destroying someone’s hard work.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 10:13:08 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29272 on: April 14, 2019, 11:33:35 am »
Well that was crap. Spend less than £10 on couple of tuning caps and a vernier drive.

No test gear worth buying.

Did consider buying a couple of old home brew radios for parts but only just broke even on those if I did which wasn’t worth it. Plus it feels bad destroying someone’s hard work.

Did you happen to see a vehicle with an obvious heavy load in the trunk (boot)?  That was tggzzz. He beat you out again.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29273 on: April 14, 2019, 11:42:53 am »
Hahaha. I was pretty near the front of the queue. Think it was just a crap one :(

Next one on 28th.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29274 on: April 14, 2019, 12:17:25 pm »
Hahaha. I was pretty near the front of the queue. Think it was just a crap one :(

Next one on 28th.
That's not so good news then, just wondering whether a computer fair might be a better bet for our TE addiction. I seem to remember going to  one years ago at Ponders End that was overflowing with TE. At least I'll be getting my new fix soon.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf