Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550016 times)

Vince and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29300 on: April 14, 2019, 10:58:53 pm »
Received a replacement ADF4351 signal gen board....and it doesn't work either.  |O Refuses to lock on the internal xtal, and can't connect an external ref at all because it's missing one of the miniscule 0 ohm jumpers that connects the ref in/out SMA to the rest of the board.  :palm:

You get what you pay for with signal generators, that's for sure.

Interesting.

I bought this little signal genarator and it's based on the ADF4351, too:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-35M-4-4G-simple-signal-generator/172210964785

It's having problems locking to the internal xtal, too.
Since it has a working 10MHz reference input (a must have for my gear) it locks reliably to, I haven't bothered much since.

Perhaps we can find out, what's the problem is?    :-/O
Well, I finally got it to lock after much fiddling. It works, better than the old one, but man the PLL chip gets blazing hot. Wouldn't be surprised if that isn't why the first one worked for a while then failed.

I did finally get it to lock after fiddling. These things are a bit touchy for sure. And the PLL itself runs damn hot.

Ooookaay.

My SigGen seems to lock to the internal xtal after some warm-up time but only after I tweak the output frequency from the default 34MHz to e.g 134MHz.   :-//

Seems more like the spec for the ADF4350 (137.5 MHz to 4400 MHz) instead of the 4351  :-// Either that or they havn't set the divide by ratio properly to get to the lower frequencies? https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADF4351.pdf

Hmm. Seems I didn't describe it clear enough:
After power on my ADF4351 based siggen defaults to 34MHz and stays unlocked. When I tweak the output frequency to e.g 134MHz (44MHz won't help) after a while the siggen then jumps to "L" (locked) and after that it stays locked whatever frequency between 34MHz and 4.61GHz I set.

How are you controlling yours? I'm using an Arduino Uno with a Chinesium special LCD and button shield, with this guy's software.

The relevant code snippet for the divider logic:

code snipped

Aheeemm.  :)  I bought a device with user interface and don't tweak with software:

(linked from ebay)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29301 on: April 14, 2019, 11:13:44 pm »
Is anyone having trouble logging into certain websites such as PayPal for instance? I'm using Google Chrome and tonight it wont allow me into PayPal telling me that my browser is out of date and that the latest version of Chrome and to TLS 1.2 not TLS 1.1?

Checked my browser is the latest version and yet it still uses TLS 1.1?

Paypal is fine for me with firefox 52.9.0 - which is a long way from being the latest version!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29302 on: April 14, 2019, 11:30:21 pm »
Received a replacement ADF4351 signal gen board....and it doesn't work either.  |O Refuses to lock on the internal xtal, and can't connect an external ref at all because it's missing one of the miniscule 0 ohm jumpers that connects the ref in/out SMA to the rest of the board.  :palm:

You get what you pay for with signal generators, that's for sure.

Interesting.

I bought this little signal genarator and it's based on the ADF4351, too:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/New-35M-4-4G-simple-signal-generator/172210964785

It's having problems locking to the internal xtal, too.
Since it has a working 10MHz reference input (a must have for my gear) it locks reliably to, I haven't bothered much since.

Perhaps we can find out, what's the problem is?    :-/O
Well, I finally got it to lock after much fiddling. It works, better than the old one, but man the PLL chip gets blazing hot. Wouldn't be surprised if that isn't why the first one worked for a while then failed.

I did finally get it to lock after fiddling. These things are a bit touchy for sure. And the PLL itself runs damn hot.

Ooookaay.

My SigGen seems to lock to the internal xtal after some warm-up time but only after I tweak the output frequency from the default 34MHz to e.g 134MHz.   :-//

Seems more like the spec for the ADF4350 (137.5 MHz to 4400 MHz) instead of the 4351  :-// Either that or they havn't set the divide by ratio properly to get to the lower frequencies? https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADF4351.pdf

Hmm. Seems I didn't describe it clear enough:
After power on my ADF4351 based siggen defaults to 34MHz and stays unlocked. When I tweak the output frequency to e.g 134MHz (44MHz won't help) after a while the siggen then jumps to "L" (locked) and after that it stays locked whatever frequency between 34MHz and 4.61GHz I set.

How are you controlling yours? I'm using an Arduino Uno with a Chinesium special LCD and button shield, with this guy's software.

The relevant code snippet for the divider logic:

code snipped

Aheeemm.  :)  I bought a device with user interface and don't tweak with software:

(linked from ebay)

Ah, I see. :) I don't know...my original purpose for getting this was a low cost way to generate 3621.40 MHz for a tracking generator board I have mentioned before (for working in the 8566A or B low band). Unfortunately juuuust outside the range of my best signal generator (HP 8664A). Band 1 (2-5.8 GHz) requires only a 321.4 MHz external signal, so the choice is easy as to which sig gen to use for that band.

But given the reliability issues I'm thinking I should either 1) pony up for the up-to-date version of the tracking generator (demonstrated in the youtube video below from the maker of the thing) or 2) just bite the bullet and pony up for a microwave signal generator that goes higher. The main pro of the newer revision of the tracking generator is that it now has it's own onboard signal source, so you don't need an external signal generator to use it. Con of course is cost...last I checked it was about $700. Getting a larger bandwidth microwave signal generator is a bit more strategic for my longterm plans of working up to 18 GHz...but will also be spendy if I don't want a project.  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29303 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:48 pm »
...on the other hand, at low frequencies, the ADF3451 provides a very respectable sub nanosecond risetime square wave. The new one I got is just about 750 ps. It works pretty well for a crude TDR with the oscilloscope, for instance.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29304 on: April 15, 2019, 12:32:32 am »
Is anyone having trouble logging into certain websites such as PayPal for instance? I'm using Google Chrome and tonight it wont allow me into PayPal telling me that my browser is out of date and that the latest version of Chrome and to TLS 1.2 not TLS 1.1?

Paypal is fine for me with firefox 52.9.0 - which is a long way from being the latest version!
Thanks, still not working but does work on my tablet. I'm running Windows 10 and when I try to go to PayPal on the desktop I get message about my browser does not support TLS1.2 and how that is a must have from 26th June onwards. It gives instructions on how to check current browser and how to update to the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Done Edge and Chrome but still not working, flushed cache, uninstalled and re-installed Chrome, not having it. I'll have to use their chatline in the morning to resolve the problem.

I also had it while trying to download some technical information from a couple other sites so I think its a genuine message.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29305 on: April 15, 2019, 12:56:32 am »
just wanted to say thanks to you guys who pointed out firefly.

have been binge watching and am up to episode 7.

not sure how I missed this series.  spent a lot of time in Heidelberg the last half of 2002.  maybe afn didn't carry it?
Always a pleasure to find another Brown Coat. :-+ Even better, a Brown Coat TEA lover. :-+ :-+

So whatami, chopped Reaver?!?  :P

LOL! You're not new to Firefly.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29306 on: April 15, 2019, 01:13:09 am »
The 465B is fixed. The verdict? A very tired CRT. Although the pix doesn't do it justice that trace is now sharp and well defined like a good Tek should be. So my hunch was correct. :-+ Once in a while I score one. :-DD

Excellent! So nice to see these in full working order again. I really like the front panel on the 465 and 475 scopes.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29307 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:25 am »
Two thumbs up to everythingrf dot com for not only hosting relevant ads on their own domain (rather than malware...oops ad networking it  :palm:) but also trying to sell me something with I most certainly cannot afford.  :-DD [edit] but would love to have. Also that marketing wank, though.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:26:00 am by 0culus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29308 on: April 15, 2019, 01:17:51 am »
The old CRT has been cleaned up and is now a display piece. I'm considering breaking the exhaust tip to make it "safe" but I put it where it can't get knocked over (easily).  :-DD

Perhaps put it in an acrylic display case with a nice wood base.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29309 on: April 15, 2019, 01:25:17 am »
The old CRT has been cleaned up and is now a display piece. I'm considering breaking the exhaust tip to make it "safe" but I put it where it can't get knocked over (easily).  :-DD

Perhaps put it in an acrylic display case with a nice wood base.

+1

once I have more space I'm going to get some kind of a display case for my vacuum tube collection. Keep the dust off and the cats out...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29310 on: April 15, 2019, 01:27:03 am »
Hello TEA fellows,

I want to take the opportunity to show you an example
of a little side aspect of TEA: hopelessly over-engineered DIY test equipement.

For another little project of mine I was in need of a resistor decade.
There are a lot of them outsinde, most of them nice and dandy but
for some reason I had the idea I must build one of my own.  :palm:

The specifications aren't that hard:

5 Ranges from 0.1Ohm steps to 1000Ohm steps.
Tolerance: 1%
max power: 0.5W

This is an image of the finished box:

Cool project. You are correct. TEA is rather friendly with over-engineered DIY. Gotta love the gold-plated binding posts!

It appears, from all the empty space on the front panel, that you could benefit from much larger knobs and some mega-sized 7-segment displays. Not only would they utilize more of the space, but they'd also give it additional "over-engineered" points. Perhaps for V2. ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29311 on: April 15, 2019, 01:29:19 am »
Anyway, I am now the proud possessor of a Griffin Timer Scaler containing some of the same technology used in the world's oldest operating computer, the WITCH in TNMoC. Yes, it does work, and looks as retro cute as I would hope :) 

Since pictures are required, here's one at 1/250s:

And I still haven't got the blasted handle off!

Interesting. I've never seen such a thing. I like those little counters.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29312 on: April 15, 2019, 01:32:49 am »

Thanks, still not working but does work on my tablet. I'm running Windows 10 and when I try to go to PayPal on the desktop I get message about my browser does not support TLS1.2 and how that is a must have from 26th June onwards. It gives instructions on how to check current browser and how to update to the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Done Edge and Chrome but still not working, flushed cache, uninstalled and re-installed Chrome, not having it. I'll have to use their chatline in the morning to resolve the problem.

I also had it while trying to download some technical information from a couple other sites so I think its a genuine message.
W10 and Chrome Version 73.0.3683.103 here connects to our PayPal NZ sever no issues.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29313 on: April 15, 2019, 01:33:28 am »
Well this is a surprise. Took the 400E to bits completely and checked it over. Literally nothing up with it at all. It's immaculate.

All relevant capacitors reading decently low ESR so I'm leaving them (ESR meter earning its keep already!) and no sign of any damage to any other components in the unit. All rails on spec.

So I figured feck it, so hooked up my DG1022Z to the front with a 50 ohm termination and put 1V RMS into it at 1KHz and what does it read? 1V RMS precisely!

Cranked the frequency up. 500KHz, needle hasn't budged. 2MHz, same again, 6MHz same again, 10MHz same again. All good. This is where the response tails off apparently. Nope - got all the way up to 17.6MHz before it even budged. Well done HP. money well spent. Incidentally this will make a rather good HF power meter with a suitable load as it's good up to 300V RMS and termination is external.

Now on the shopping list:

1. Matching 427A
2. Matching 5221B nixie counter.

Not that I have a fetish (or one I am willing to talk about here) but can I see it's feet?  ;D

My 419A and Oculus's power meters don't have feet and I am not sure if Mondays 427A Multimeter has feet or not? I will be adding something to the feet and knob design when done.

Whatever floats your boat  :-DD

Drop me a PM to remind me and I’ll take some detailed measurements and photos for you later today.

Seems how BD's gear feet are shy here is my 427A's feet and face >:D Cosmetically it is in great shape but it has serious stability/PS issues. Needle wanders all over the place but generally in the correct ballpark for value.

Foot design and clip hardware is similar to the side feet on my 53xx Nixie counters. At least I have an actual good sample to work from for a 3DP version.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29314 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:40 am »

Things that make you go, hmmm...

(Unsure of the scale, but an appropriately sized version of that might work as a cover for a 454 screen.)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29315 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:13 am »
Hello TEA fellows,

There are a lot of them outsinde, most of them nice and dandy but
for some reason I had the idea I must build one of my own.  :palm:

The specifications aren't that hard:

5 Ranges from 0.1Ohm steps to 1000Ohm steps.
Tolerance: 1%
max power: 0.5W

I looked into my parts collection and found a lot of relays (omron G6K 5V)
and some nice 7-segmet red LED displays from HP.
With some BCD coded switches, some Li-Ion batteries and a nice case I thought,
this could be an easy one.
Well, yeah...  |O  ;D

This is an image of the finished box:

Hope you enjoyed my little project.  :popcorn:

Cheers,

BU508A

Edit: wrong link to the picture of the 10Ohm steps corrected.

As someone who has just finished their own over engineered mechanical decade resistor boxes it's a 'special' kind of madness  :scared: I am looking at 1M+ - Gohm's now  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29316 on: April 15, 2019, 01:44:46 am »
1.21 GOhms ^-^

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29317 on: April 15, 2019, 02:00:22 am »
At that point...isn't it just an open circuit for all intents and purposes?  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29318 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:10 am »

(Unsure of the scale, but an appropriately sized version of that might work as a cover for a 454 screen.)

You don't say...  >:D

Hello TEA fellows,

(SNIP)
Cheers,

BU508A
As someone who has just finished their own over engineered mechanical decade resistor boxes it's a 'special' kind of madness  :scared: I am looking at 1M+ - Gohm's now  ;D

Now I have resistor envy...  :-[

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a clock mallet*  :=\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:12:13 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29319 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:18 am »

Since pictures are required, here's one at 1/250s:

And I still haven't got the blasted handle off!
What type of connector is the one labeled 'GM'?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29320 on: April 15, 2019, 02:12:18 am »
At that point...isn't it just an open circuit for all intents and purposes?  :-DD

Depends on how many kV you poke at it ;) Circa 12kV off my neon transformer at 1.21GOhms is 0.01mA = 0.12 W

For Cal purposes I need to get some reasonably accurate points at well above 1M.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29321 on: April 15, 2019, 02:14:59 am »
1.21 GOhms ^-^

Ask a 555 timer that question. ;)

mnem
 :=\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29322 on: April 15, 2019, 02:24:56 am »

You don't say...  >:D

Yeah, well, I just had to, since you left it in that post so teasingly without even so much as an "ahem." :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29323 on: April 15, 2019, 02:32:27 am »
1.21 GOhms ^-^

Considering that old bench voltmeters have an input impedance of > 1 GΩ and even an old Keithley 614 electrometer has a 200 GΩ range, I guess you could say it's all relative.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29324 on: April 15, 2019, 03:06:54 am »

Depends on how many kV you poke at it ;) Circa 12kV off my neon transformer at 1.21GOhms is 0.01mA = 0.12 W

For Cal purposes I need to get some reasonably accurate points at well above 1M.

I'll just not, thankyouverymuch.  :scared:

1.21 GOhms ^-^

Considering that old bench voltmeters have an input impedance of > 1 GΩ and even an old Keithley 614 electrometer has a 200 GΩ range, I guess you could say it's all relative.

True.

1.21 GOhms ^-^

Ask a 555 timer that question. ;)

mnem
 :=\

:-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf