Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557876 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29525 on: April 17, 2019, 01:49:10 pm »
KARMA  STRIKES!!!!

(( this is how I got the curve tracer in all of its un-cleaned up glory...the extra trace lines in the pic are an artifact of my camera set to hdr. .. traces look perfect. ))

My EBAY local pickup only item and story .....

I'm not going name names here, as I'm not out to badmouth the parties involved, though in all rights I should.

I picked up this Tektronix 576 curve tracer that originally it was listed along with with a Tektronix 2465B 400 mhz 4 channel scope, both showing no trace, and listed on ebay "for parts" no returns. I figured they would be fun projects, so I gave an offer on eBay that was accepted. 

I drove 2 hours into NJ to an electronics salvage warehouse to pick them up only to find out they "goofed" on the listing and the scope listed in the title and in pictures was a "mistake" ... grrr .. well it seemed they weren't about to let me walk out with both the scope and the curve tracer... at least not for the price I paid. they wanted like +400 for the scope.  I felt that was very sleazy.

They kept offering me to come to the back look at other things to buy while I was there, it felt a lot like a bait and switch thing.

I ended up negotiating and refund on the scope and walked away only paying 170 USD for just the non-functional curve tracer .... at that moment, I felt like I had been dupped...but on the other hand, was not upset at the deal on he curve tracer as a project piece.

However ... Karma is a wonderful thing...

It turns out that the curve tracer works fine, they just had no clue how to use it .....  So that's right a 576 curve tracer for 170 bucks.

looking at date codes on the chips inside seems to be circa 1975 .. it needs a little cleanup but everything seems to work fine.

Hey, name these assholes so us locals know to stay away from them. Even if you just slip me a PM.  :-+

Glad you made out in the end. Good deal! And Karma is a bitch.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29526 on: April 17, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »
Good win that. Karma is hilarious when it plays out nicely. Enjoy the curve tracer!

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29527 on: April 17, 2019, 01:55:58 pm »

They used to be fairly common on British gear of the era.

Yep in my throw out pile pulled from a Pommie made Elliot XRay controller. The 12 YO Glenfiddich is the evenings tipple of choice  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29528 on: April 17, 2019, 01:57:41 pm »
You know what to do with that!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29529 on: April 17, 2019, 01:58:15 pm »
I have never seen caps like that. No wonder the damn things exploded.  ::)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29530 on: April 17, 2019, 02:02:17 pm »
It's only 10V wonder how it would like 240V so I can check it's ESR >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #29531 on: April 17, 2019, 02:03:43 pm »
Hey, name these assholes so us locals know to stay away from them. Even if you just slip me a PM.  :-+

PM Sent
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29532 on: April 17, 2019, 02:04:07 pm »

Those Ruskies are nucking futs.  :-DD :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29533 on: April 17, 2019, 02:07:14 pm »

PM Sent

Got it!  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29534 on: April 17, 2019, 02:15:06 pm »
The design of these Schaffner mains filter units must be a bit suspect surely, the filtering should come into play only when the equipment is actually powered up, serves no purpose at all to have the mains filtered when the equipment is not in use?

The filter below has been removed from a Solartron 7150 Plus bench meter and inside the meter it is as if it rolled of the production line a few minutes ago, it really has not seen much use at all but these filters have.

So all the time that the meter sits with its power cord plugged in, even though the meter is switched off, the filter is ageing and is connected across the supply and so could equally let fly at any point day or night, what a crap design philosophy that is.

Once repaired, I'm leaved the rear mounted power switch in the on position and replacing the plug top for one with a switch built-in and use that to control the meter so at least the filter goes again, I'll be there and know about it.   
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29535 on: April 17, 2019, 02:19:41 pm »
got a bit of a chicken and egg scenario there though. The point of the filter is to make sure there aren't any unfiltered mains wires dangling around inside the chassis. So you can't use a switch first unless the switch is outside of the unit.

And yes they do burn people's houses down and stuff.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29536 on: April 17, 2019, 02:43:38 pm »
Sticker on top "attenuator o.o.s" (attenuator out of service).

Seeing the sticker I translated it as "out of spec", which sounds less of a problem :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29537 on: April 17, 2019, 02:45:26 pm »
That's a good point. Hopefully it is that  :-+

I am expecting a cam to be broken to be honest. Apparently it's common on these from some googling. If it's a burned resistor or something I'm going to be super happy as that'll be a really cheap fix!

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29538 on: April 17, 2019, 03:07:15 pm »
The design of these Schaffner mains filter units must be a bit suspect surely, the filtering should come into play only when the equipment is actually powered up, serves no purpose at all to have the mains filtered when the equipment is not in use?

The filter below has been removed from a Solartron 7150 Plus bench meter and inside the meter it is as if it rolled of the production line a few minutes ago, it really has not seen much use at all but these filters have.

So all the time that the meter sits with its power cord plugged in, even though the meter is switched off, the filter is ageing and is connected across the supply and so could equally let fly at any point day or night, what a crap design philosophy that is.

Once repaired, I'm leaved the rear mounted power switch in the on position and replacing the plug top for one with a switch built-in and use that to control the meter so at least the filter goes again, I'll be there and know about it.

That filter/selector looks similar to the one in my 7081. I replaced it with an identical new selector/filter, so they are still made.

No, I can't locate the part number nor where I obtained it; sorry.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29539 on: April 17, 2019, 03:25:19 pm »

<snip for brevity>

It turns out that the curve tracer works fine, they just had no clue how to use it .....  So that's right a 576 curve tracer for 170 bucks.

Damn, dude - you stole that!!!  Sweet score, even without the scope.  Congratulations!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29540 on: April 17, 2019, 03:27:27 pm »

Those Ruskies are nucking futs.  :-DD :-DD

Good thing they live in a concrete block house because they'd have surely burned it down by now otherwise.   ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29541 on: April 17, 2019, 03:29:11 pm »
Considering a high roll on some Heathkit junk again. Why do I keep doing this. All it does is hurt me.  :-DD

Edit: outbid. Phew!  :-DD

Psst, kid, hey... wanna buy an HW8?  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #29542 on: April 17, 2019, 03:40:28 pm »
Edit: outbid. Phew!  :-DD

:-DD been there!
they say the road to recovery for an addict is realizing you have a problem.
though, will not believe I have a test equipment addiction problem until I find a piece of test equipment that can measure it.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29543 on: April 17, 2019, 05:08:41 pm »
I consider myself a better than average mechanical engineer, occasionally a downright inspired empirical engineer, and a fair-at-best electronics engineer. ;)
You're quite well versed in a lot of things. No doubt about that.

LOLOL! :-DD I can just hear you saying that in the same droll tone I use when I say "He's full of SOMETHIN'..."

After 1 week in customs the 4x attenuator is now in a USPS distribution center in Jersey City, NJ. At freaking last.  :phew: If USPS gets off their arse I should have it tomorrow. But most likely on Friday.

Yeah... since your atten looks like bomb parts, there was a bit of a delay as Hoseland Suckurity got involved.

Pay no attention to the clicking noises when you're talking on your telephone...  :-DD

mnem
;D Happiness... We're full of it! ;D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:48:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29544 on: April 17, 2019, 05:14:38 pm »

That filter/selector looks similar to the one in my 7081. I replaced it with an identical new selector/filter, so they are still made.

No, I can't locate the part number nor where I obtained it; sorry.
Already located the item, there are some at Digi-key and I have 2 on route today to me, Schaffner's part number is FN372-2-21 (with 20mm fuses) or FN372-2-22 with 32mm fuses), either will do as the actual overall dimensions are the same.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29545 on: April 17, 2019, 05:27:47 pm »
   ...Blue can is philips electrolytic. Somewhat notorious for exploding violently. The dents are actually a cheap ass way of clamping the contents inside the can:
I've never seen a cap build like that
interesting.....
if I had seen that id have believed someone got to aggressive clamping it down.
Ditto, that is weird.  :palm:

Naaahhh... the crimps are too regular to be accidental damage. Pretty obvious (once you have one in hand) that it's part of the manufacturing process.

Never was too sanguine about the thought process behind the design though; it was supposed to allow void space for expansion of gases and the electrolyte roll. Seems to me it just makes pressure points to encourage rupture of the roll and resultant excitement as the plates short out.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29546 on: April 17, 2019, 05:40:09 pm »
KARMA  STRIKES!!!!

(( this is how I got the curve tracer in all of its un-cleaned up glory...the extra trace lines in the pic are an artifact of my camera set to hdr. .. traces look perfect. ))

My EBAY local pickup only item and story .....

I'm not going name names here, as I'm not out to badmouth the parties involved, though in all rights I should.

I picked up this Tektronix 576 curve tracer that originally it was listed along with with a Tektronix 2465B 400 mhz 4 channel scope, both showing no trace, and listed on ebay "for parts" no returns. I figured they would be fun projects, so I gave an offer on eBay that was accepted. 

I drove 2 hours into NJ to an electronics salvage warehouse to pick them up only to find out they "goofed" on the listing and the scope listed in the title and in pictures was a "mistake" ... grrr .. well it seemed they weren't about to let me walk out with both the scope and the curve tracer... at least not for the price I paid. they wanted like +400 for the scope.  I felt that was very sleazy.

They kept offering me to come to the back look at other things to buy while I was there, it felt a lot like a bait and switch thing.

I ended up negotiating and refund on the scope and walked away only paying 170 USD for just the non-functional curve tracer .... at that moment, I felt like I had been dupped...but on the other hand, was not upset at the deal on he curve tracer as a project piece.

However ... Karma is a wonderful thing...

looking at date codes on the chips inside seems to be circa 1975 .. it needs a little cleanup but everything seems to work fine.

Wow that is a nice grab!  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29547 on: April 17, 2019, 05:46:08 pm »
KARMA  STRIKES!!!      ...It turns out that the curve tracer works fine, they just had no clue how to use it. So that's right a 576 curve tracer for 170 bucks... it needs a little cleanup but everything seems to work fine.

Well-earned! Wow... two JAMMYs in one week... what NEXT?  >:D

got a bit of a chicken and egg scenario there though. The point of the filter is to make sure there aren't any unfiltered mains wires dangling around inside the chassis. So you can't use a switch first unless the switch is outside of the unit.

And yes they do burn people's houses down and stuff.

No different from an Isobar EMI filter or a Surge Suppressor outlet bar full of MOVs... they're SUPPOSED TO BE designed for continuous duty. It's when you use substandard parts (or the parts you use later prove NOT to last the same as your "accelerated aging" testing says they will) that you have problems.  :-//

The role of failure in design.

mnem
I am living proof of failure in nature's design.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29548 on: April 17, 2019, 05:49:34 pm »
The cloud environment I'm supposed to work with locked up and kicked me out. The hours are still going to be billed, so I guess I'm paid for being on here. I'm not arguing.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29549 on: April 17, 2019, 05:56:28 pm »
The cloud environment I'm supposed to work with locked up and kicked me out. The hours are still going to be billed, so I guess I'm paid for being on here. I'm not arguing.

Celebrate those moments. Had to wait two days for the last outfit to find out who was responsible for the firewall, raise the case with their MSP and get them to fix it. This was to open one ssh port so I could get in to do some work. Went and watched infinity war  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf