Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550178 times)

Jambalaya, factory, Vince and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29800 on: April 20, 2019, 11:07:58 am »
Sample on the printer. Few more parts than might seem needed but it makes the printing much more simple without needing supports.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29801 on: April 20, 2019, 11:10:12 am »
Also it appears that the thick film resistors can actually come off the substrate as well. Had one like that and no sign of burning or overload. Was just bubbly inside the attenuator module.

Edit: appears that Herpes are delivering my TF2015 signal generator today  :-+
I just saw the driver drop kick it at North Weald [emoji16] it's a glorious day here in the sun[emoji106].

My filters will be delivered before 1400 on Tuesday, can't wait to fire them up again. Think I'll pull the trigger on some very bright LEDs for the back lights and they should be good.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29802 on: April 20, 2019, 11:14:55 am »
Hahaha doesn’t surprise me. Always sign as “not checked”  :-DD

Sample on the printer. Few more parts than might seem needed but it makes the printing much more simple without needing supports.

That’s a mighty fine looking buggery stick  :-DD

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29803 on: April 20, 2019, 11:21:29 am »

Teamed with a MOT other inappropriate HV Transformer and call it Hermes Temporal Lobe Adjuster  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29804 on: April 20, 2019, 11:22:32 am »
I’ll take three please!  :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29805 on: April 20, 2019, 01:04:32 pm »
That's a lot of damn caps... a few were leaking, most check okay, a few a bit week.  This is the Boeschert power supply out of my second 53310a, caps on order.

You can see where the caps were leaking, but the board cleaned up nicely (not in this pic).

did it do the usual tick-tick-tick-tick-tick?
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29806 on: April 20, 2019, 01:18:35 pm »

Teamed with a MOT other inappropriate HV Transformer and call it Hermes Temporal Lobe Adjuster  >:D
My hermes driver is a nice lady and doesn't need rearranging thanks, but bd139 might need one[emoji6]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29807 on: April 20, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »

My hermes driver is a nice lady and doesn't need rearranging thanks, but bd139 might need one[emoji6]

I could redesign you a custom version ;)

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29808 on: April 20, 2019, 01:53:24 pm »
Hermes didn’t destroy the signal generator and it appears to work fine including the attenuator.  Had to jump off it though as I’m cooking a roast dinner and have relatives over. Boo hiss.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29809 on: April 20, 2019, 02:03:05 pm »
Hermes didn’t destroy the signal generator and it appears to work fine including the attenuator.  Had to jump off it though as I’m cooking a roast dinner and have relatives over. Boo hiss.
That's good news, the sig gen, not the relatives [emoji849]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29810 on: April 20, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »
I’m making them as unwelcome as possible so they’ll be gone soon  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29811 on: April 20, 2019, 02:58:20 pm »
So on the face of it, you'd recommend a Marconi Sig Gen would you? IIRC that one covers all the normal broadcast frequencies and does both AM and FM modulation.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29812 on: April 20, 2019, 03:18:39 pm »

You're not a very good host are you?  ::) ;D

Psst...neither am I.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29813 on: April 20, 2019, 03:20:41 pm »
Finally got the 4x attenuator for the 465B with the rebuilt channel 2 switch deck and the results have been disappointing to say the least. It did fix one or two sections but I still have other sections that have inconsistent DC continuity. After more careful examination and resistance checks I have finally tracked down the cause. I have 2 leaf switches that have lost their spring tension. In fact one of them shifts side to side due to it coming loose from it's rivet. These leaf switches are extremely delicate and all the activity from me rebuilding it plus who knows what the prior gorilla did probably contributed to this. Attempts to carefully bend the leafs to make better contact do nothing but make it worse. And even if I am successful at bending them it's probably going to screw up the high frequency characteristics. So this attenuator switch deck is junk. It's done. Toast.  :-- :-- |O

So....here's my plea. Guys in US/Canada. If you spot a 465B junker let me know. If it's on a local Craigslist or similar and they won't ship I'll pay you to get it. Across the pond in UK/EU. Again if you spot a 465B junker I'll pay. You can keep the carcass just send me one, or preferably both, of the attenuator switch decks.

Remember, it HAS to be a 465B. A 465 no suffix is not the same. Thanks everyone.   :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29814 on: April 20, 2019, 03:45:31 pm »

Well now I'm sure that's not quite true, it depends who it is that your hosting to  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29815 on: April 20, 2019, 03:48:59 pm »

Well now I'm sure that's not quite true, it depends who it is that your hosting to  >:D

Guilty as charged. You saw right through that, didn't you?  :P :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #29816 on: April 20, 2019, 04:11:42 pm »
Finally got the 4x attenuator for the 465B ....

About flippin' time.  I was getting grey waiting for it to turn up!!

It's had us poor vicarious types on edge for months...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29817 on: April 20, 2019, 04:30:14 pm »
And happy (b)easter to you all!

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29818 on: April 20, 2019, 04:35:36 pm »
Right, finally got some play time now the infernal bastards have fucked off  :-DD

Well full checkout, FM and AM modulation works fine. All ranges work fine. Attenuator seems ok although I haven't done any scientific tests yet. ALC is however good. The oscillators drift around a bit but this appears to have settled down after about 30 minutes powered up.

Don't turn it on, take it apart. Bum shot. Quite a complicated beast. All caps were good and the mains filter is not a mains filter - it's just an IEC socket. That saved a few quid. The entire device takes ~10W. Lots and lots of top quality parts in here:

RF "cabin" is separate at the top. Proper chunk of cast metal with RF seals around it and all exiting signals via hard line to the attenuator. All low frequency signals on pass-through caps. ALC /modulation board:

Main oscillators are a bunch of varactor controlled oscillators on a sub-board which hinges out. These are switched in by the front panel switch via some bog standard 1n5711's.

Outside:

Quick board detail - nice quality:

To note the dial calibration is total balls. It's useless. So far out it's unreal. I'm not sure if I'll have to re-string it or anything yet but the basic controls and a counter rammed in the counter port on the back are probably better.

Very happy.

@Specmaster asked a question: would I recommend this for broadcast radios. The answer is a resounding NO because it only covers 10-520MHz. I want this to test filters in the 130-180MHz range.  The TF2016 is what you want for that - 10KHz to 120MHz.

This does have a sweep input which 0-18V (from my soon to arrive 3310A) can sweep it across a full range. That will result in filter sweeps on a scope with my W7ZOI power meter  :-+

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29819 on: April 20, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
It looks like you may be able to simplify things a bit without needing additional supports.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29820 on: April 20, 2019, 04:50:42 pm »
@bd139 Thanks, yes you're right it is the TF2016 that I require, TBH I thought this was a 2016, but its the 2015 but I'd expect that they are almost identical inside and I'd only expect Marconi to use top quality parts as they are essentially a Military and Broadcast (TV and Radio) focused company. I used to be the maintenance electrical engineer at a company who used to make and fit all the cabinetry into their TV outside broadcast vehicles and they were rammed solid with gear and cost £millions for the BBC and other companies and also the same for the Military.

So I'll have to add a Marconi TF2016 into my search string now as well  :-+

EDIT:
Just pulled the trigger on 100 of 5mm ultra bright white LEDs for the 7150 LCD displays so I'll have plenty of spares  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 04:53:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29821 on: April 20, 2019, 05:10:37 pm »
Finally got the 4x attenuator for the 465B with the rebuilt channel 2 switch deck and the results have been disappointing to say the least. It did fix one or two sections but I still have other sections that have inconsistent DC continuity. After more careful examination and resistance checks I have finally tracked down the cause. I have 2 leaf switches that have lost their spring tension. In fact one of them shifts side to side due to it coming loose from it's rivet. These leaf switches are extremely delicate and all the activity from me rebuilding it plus who knows what the prior gorilla did probably contributed to this. Attempts to carefully bend the leafs to make better contact do nothing but make it worse. And even if I am successful at bending them it's probably going to screw up the high frequency characteristics. So this attenuator switch deck is junk. It's done. Toast.  :-- :-- |O

So....here's my plea. Guys in US/Canada. If you spot a 465B junker let me know. If it's on a local Craigslist or similar and they won't ship I'll pay you to get it. Across the pond in UK/EU. Again if you spot a 465B junker I'll pay. You can keep the carcass just send me one, or preferably both, of the attenuator switch decks.

Remember, it HAS to be a 465B. A 465 no suffix is not the same. Thanks everyone.   :-+

Oh man, that's a drag.  :--

I will keep an eye out for you. There are two 465s on CL in my neighborhood right now, but no BEEs. 

BTW, the package you sent me is finally on the west coast, though not quite in Portland. It apparently spent nine days in NJ after four in MA. You seem to be postally cursed. Who did you piss off in the USPS?    :-DD

specialization is for insects.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29822 on: April 20, 2019, 05:11:47 pm »
I've been investing so much time sorting, researching, stacking, and inventorying stuff that I haven't been spending any time at my bench actually building or fixing anything and it was making me sort of, well,  crabby.  So I nixed the planned evening's project, went down to the garage and the first thing that came to hand was this:

A very nice specimen. I've contemplated getting one of these, but don't have a use for one (yet). Added to POI.

Well full checkout, FM and AM modulation works fine. All ranges work fine. Attenuator seems ok although I haven't done any scientific tests yet. ALC is however good. The oscillators drift around a bit but this appears to have settled down after about 30 minutes powered up.

Also added! :-+

Pretty soon, I think I'm going to have to break down the TE section of the POI into categories.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29823 on: April 20, 2019, 05:29:36 pm »
Open HV Probe - empty shell for 3D printing with room for commercially available 990 MOhm 40+kV resistor stack. (Ohmite $22 USD for 500, 400, 90) or whatever other guts people might want to fit.

Rough model over a Beer. 350mm total length so it is sort of a clone of other commercial products out there. Will be made in screw together sections with an M5 tip holder.

Thoughts welcome, time for a second Beer  :popcorn:

Looks good. Just like the real thing, especially if you print it in those colors.

When you're happy with it, I'll link the post to the final version in the POI. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29824 on: April 20, 2019, 05:56:59 pm »
          TEAlert           TEAlert             TEAlert

Fraser is making some space. Check out the overview to his upcoming TEAStravaganza sale: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/frasers-equipment-disposal-begins/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf