Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552579 times)

ch_scr, TizianoHV, Vince and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29825 on: April 20, 2019, 06:30:37 pm »
I’m going to be broke after that  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29826 on: April 20, 2019, 06:32:51 pm »
Yes, a real drag. I was hoping that would be the last of the problems with that switch deck. I put a lot of work into it but looking positive I know how those delicate assemblies work...err...don't work.  :-DD

Thanks for keeping watch for a 465B.

I dunno who I pissed off at USPS. They told me you would have that package by last Tuesday. Obviously that didn't happen.  :palm: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29827 on: April 20, 2019, 06:35:50 pm »
          TEAlert           TEAlert             TEAlert

Fraser is making some space. Check out the overview to his upcoming TEAStravaganza sale: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/frasers-equipment-disposal-begins/

Too bad he's in the UK. Shipping is gonna be a killer.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29828 on: April 20, 2019, 06:39:52 pm »
Main oscillators are a bunch of varactor controlled oscillators on a sub-board which hinges out. These are switched in by the front panel switch via some bog standard 1n5711's.

Loos like they had some fun with the coupling of the coils there:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29829 on: April 20, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
          TEAlert           TEAlert             TEAlert

Fraser is making some space. Check out the overview to his upcoming TEAStravaganza sale: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/frasers-equipment-disposal-begins/

Too bad he's in the UK. Shipping is gonna be a killer.

Yep, but it looks to be a good opportunity for folks there who often say they don't have as many opportunities for good deals on gear as we do.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29830 on: April 20, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »
Yep  >:D

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29831 on: April 20, 2019, 07:58:17 pm »
Yes, a real drag. I was hoping that would be the last of the problems with that switch deck. I put a lot of work into it but looking positive I know how those delicate assemblies work...err...don't work.  :-DD

Thanks for keeping watch for a 465B.

I dunno who I pissed off at USPS. They told me you would have that package by last Tuesday. Obviously that didn't happen.  :palm:

A long time ago, I got a temp gig, delivering mail. Based on my brief experience, it is easy for me to imagine a package getting lodged underneath the seat of a delivery van, only to be found when the seat jams while being adjusted.   ::)
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29832 on: April 20, 2019, 07:59:56 pm »
I’m going to be broke after that  :-DD

I looked at the category list and then some of Fraser's posts. That is a pretty amazing collection of gear.

But I admit I am stumped... I have no idea how to determine the value of stuff that actually has all of its parts and works.  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29833 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:47 pm »
Usually you put down what you want to pay for it and cross your fingers, toes and large intestine that they accept it :)

Edit: well just checked out the TF2015 against my power meter and on a scope. The attenuator does indeed appear to be bust. But not badly. I've taken expected vs actual measurements for all positions and am going to sit with the SMM and work out what the failure is likely to be. Then it's plumbing time!  :--
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 09:53:19 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29834 on: April 20, 2019, 09:57:28 pm »
Usually you put down what you want to pay for it and cross your fingers, toes and large intestine that they accept it :)

Edit: well just checked out the TF2015 against my power meter and on a scope. The attenuator does indeed appear to be bust. But not badly. I've taken expected vs actual measurements for all positions and am going to sit with the SMM and work out what the failure is likely to be. Then it's plumbing time!  :--

We apparently are all victims of Gorillas who enjoy destroying attenuators.  :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29835 on: April 20, 2019, 10:03:01 pm »
I was thinking more this dude  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: neo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29836 on: April 20, 2019, 10:35:39 pm »
Well that came out easier than it looked! This thing is *really* nicely engineered.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29837 on: April 20, 2019, 10:36:42 pm »
Well that came out easier than it looked! This thing is *really* nicely engineered.

With things like those it doesn't even matter what it is, what it is supposed to do and whether it still does it. Something made like that is just a pleasure.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29838 on: April 20, 2019, 10:46:57 pm »
Open HV Probe - empty shell for 3D printing with room for commercially available 990 MOhm 40+kV resistor stack. (Ohmite $22 USD for 500, 400, 90) or whatever other guts people might want to fit.

Rough model over a Beer. 350mm total length so it is sort of a clone of other commercial products out there. Will be made in screw together sections with an M5 tip holder.

Thoughts welcome, time for a second Beer  :popcorn:

Looks good. Just like the real thing, especially if you print it in those colors.

Sample on the printer. Few more parts than might seem needed but it makes the printing much more simple without needing supports.

When you're happy with it, I'll link the post to the final version in the POI. :-+

Giggity! Probulator-ity!  :-DD

I was thinking more this dude  :-DD

Why’d ya haveta bring politics into this discussion?  :P

mnem
I fought the lawn and the lawn won...

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29839 on: April 20, 2019, 10:53:27 pm »
With things like those it doesn't even matter what it is, what it is supposed to do and whether it still does it. Something made like that is just a pleasure.

Very true indeed.

Well I found the problem. As expected. Reverse power overload with attenuators switched in. Quick trick with a 50 ohm attenuator strip. If you switch out all the attenuators so it's 0dBm attenuation, then measure the resistance at the junction point at each node on the pi attenuator network it should be around 50 ohms. If it isn't, smoke has come out somewhere. Smoke most likely came from somewhere closest to the output.

Soooo, this is a 96.3 ohm parallel pair and 71.2 ohm series. Time to go shopping for some suitable thin film resistors that have to be good up to 520MHz...

Quick shot of the whole assembly opened. Note the yellow things - they are transmission line stubs / gimmicks by the looks.

Edit: can I get a 96.3 ohm resistor? Can I hell! :(

Edit 2: went through a massive box of resistors I have and found a used 97.6 ohm 1/4W MF one! Close enough. Have checked all the others and bunged that in and reassembled it and it works down to -60dBm. I can't measure any lower than that at the moment and I'm not sure if I care about miniscule powers like that for now. My power meter is reporting flat response to 405MHz as well which I was happy with. There's a 0.4dB error on the 10dB attenuator (4%) but I can live with that. And on that note, as it's 01:25 in the morning here, bed!

Edit 3: before I disappear, the enclosures for the attenuators are aluminium and one leg of the resistor is soldered to it. Rather than try and get a good joint on fresh alu which is a dick, I soldered it to the existing solder, adding some 62/36/2 silver bearing. This did the trick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 12:28:33 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29840 on: April 21, 2019, 12:55:54 am »
Apart from the random minor layer shift late in the print :palm: the two black bits are done and feel comfortable even in my large paws and the oval shape seems to work. Time to load up the safety Red for the rest.

Thinking a separate thread in Projects is in order BTW rather then hiding it here as I wouldn't mind trying to get a 2-3kV Scope higher frequency version up and going too and some trial and error and some input from others will be needed.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29841 on: April 21, 2019, 02:19:55 am »
Oooooh! Push-Pop! I haven't had one of those since I was like 10!!!  :-DD

mnem
And you ate it ALL...  :(
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #29842 on: April 21, 2019, 02:37:19 am »
I keep seeing something else but then maybe my mind just a little more warped than others  :-DD

Handle Mark II added circuit board slots for a 20x80x1.6 PCB for alternate versions.

THREAD CREATED https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/open-hv-probe/msg2357637/#msg2357637
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:15:34 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29843 on: April 21, 2019, 03:20:23 am »
So this weekend I started thinking about repairing the Keithley 610CR (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2257572/#msg2257572) and I was wondering if I would have to change the crude line filter.

I decided to do a little benchmark of different EMI line filters I have laying around, just to compare.

The setup was pretty simple, analysing differential mode (line to line), sweeping from 1Khz to 1Mhz. The idea was to observe the effectiveness of the low pass filter.

1- Canny Well CW1D-10A (cheap emi filter from china)

2- Delta 06GEEG3E

3- Schaffner FN372-2-31

4- Keithley 610CR line filter

I was surprised. Was expecting to change the Keithley filter but it seem to be working pretty well. I guess they knew what they were doing back then. I'm probably not going to touch it, will just make things worst  :)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 03:24:56 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29844 on: April 21, 2019, 06:38:03 am »
I'm glad my 'scopes don't glow (other than the phosphor)  :o

https://vintagetek.org/radioactive-scopes/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29845 on: April 21, 2019, 07:51:59 am »

Very true indeed.

Well I found the problem. As expected. Reverse power overload with attenuators switched in. Quick trick with a 50 ohm attenuator strip. If you switch out all the attenuators so it's 0dBm attenuation, then measure the resistance at the junction point at each node on the pi attenuator network it should be around 50 ohms. If it isn't, smoke has come out somewhere. Smoke most likely came from somewhere closest to the output.

Soooo, this is a 96.3 ohm parallel pair and 71.2 ohm series. Time to go shopping for some suitable thin film resistors that have to be good up to 520MHz...

Quick shot of the whole assembly opened. Note the yellow things - they are transmission line stubs / gimmicks by the looks.

Edit: can I get a 96.3 ohm resistor? Can I hell! :(

Edit 2: went through a massive box of resistors I have and found a used 97.6 ohm 1/4W MF one! Close enough. Have checked all the others and bunged that in and reassembled it and it works down to -60dBm. I can't measure any lower than that at the moment and I'm not sure if I care about miniscule powers like that for now. My power meter is reporting flat response to 405MHz as well which I was happy with. There's a 0.4dB error on the 10dB attenuator (4%) but I can live with that. And on that note, as it's 01:25 in the morning here, bed!

Edit 3: before I disappear, the enclosures for the attenuators are aluminium and one leg of the resistor is soldered to it. Rather than try and get a good joint on fresh alu which is a dick, I soldered it to the existing solder, adding some 62/36/2 silver bearing. This did the trick.
Good work, I'm not surprised about the 96.3 ohm value, as I mentioned they are built to a very demanding spec. Where they used, they have to perform well, each and every time and between the various sections, Marconi, Marconi Radar, Marconi Marine and English Electric Valve, they had sufficient clout to force manufacturers to limited production runs. These runs would be of values like your 96.3 ohms with a tight tolerance band. Their motto was perfection, not 2nd best.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29846 on: April 21, 2019, 01:04:46 pm »
@bd139: It is a bit curious that you cannot get this resistor. The value seems to have been used frequently, as I found in my stock 963 Ohms and 9.63kOhms, both with 0.1%. Sadly, not the 96.3 Ohms.
Correction: the first are 953 Ohms.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:10:24 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29847 on: April 21, 2019, 01:08:58 pm »
So this weekend I started thinking about repairing the Keithley 610CR (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2257572/#msg2257572) and I was wondering if I would have to change the crude line filter.

I decided to do a little benchmark of different EMI line filters I have laying around, just to compare.

The setup was pretty simple, analysing differential mode (line to line), sweeping from 1Khz to 1Mhz. The idea was to observe the effectiveness of the low pass filter.

I was surprised. Was expecting to change the Keithley filter but it seem to be working pretty well. I guess they knew what they were doing back then. I'm probably not going to touch it, will just make things worst  :)

am curious about what you used to make those phase/gain plots. 

have an aim 4170 but it is only a one port unit good for S11 (and it maybe it is recommended only for use above 100Khz?)

have been thinking about picking up a digilent analog discovery for  S21 but have never had one in hand to see how it performs.

your sweeps look great!
free range primate

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29848 on: April 21, 2019, 01:12:07 pm »
@bd139: It is a bit curious that you cannot get this resistor. The value seems to have been used frequently, as I found in my stock 963 Ohms and 9.63kOhms, both with 0.1%. Sadly, not the 96.3 Ohms.

Yes I thought that was a bit weird but it turns out it's not a standard E-series value apparently. Basically the reason it exists is if you design a 10dB attenuator for a 50 ohm system the ideal value is 96.25 ohms for this resistor, rounded to 96.3 on 1DP. This gives a stupidly good return loss for the attenuator (-120dB in theory). Looks like you can get RN60C in that size but they are out of stock everywhere with weeks lead times and stupid min orders. Boo hiss  :--

On amateur radio stuff, it's not *that* important to get it exactly right usually so the pi network is rounded to 100 ohms parallel and 68 ohms series for 10dB which is close enough. RL is not as good at around -50dB and the attenuator isn't that accurate but it'll do.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29849 on: April 21, 2019, 01:49:26 pm »

Yes I thought that was a bit weird but it turns out it's not a standard E-series value apparently. Basically the reason it exists is if you design a 10dB attenuator for a 50 ohm system the ideal value is 96.25 ohms for this resistor, rounded to 96.3 on 1DP. This gives a stupidly good return loss for the attenuator (-120dB in theory). Looks like you can get RN60C in that size but they are out of stock everywhere with weeks lead times and stupid min orders. Boo hiss  :--

On amateur radio stuff, it's not *that* important to get it exactly right usually so the pi network is rounded to 100 ohms parallel and 68 ohms series for 10dB which is close enough. RL is not as good at around -50dB and the attenuator isn't that accurate but it'll do.
The nearest standard 1% values are 95.3 or 97.6 but suspect that these are almost equally hard to locate[emoji848]

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf