Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549679 times)

Gertjan, ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29925 on: April 22, 2019, 10:20:14 pm »
She was a circus monkey.

Yes, but in hindsight it is obvious that "The HP Way" was dead when whatever happened that made her place at HP possible, long before she dared utter the words.

mnem
Any mechanism that makes people disposable is by definition inhumane, and should be an affront to all humanity.
Shareholder growth pressure burns everything.
Having grow up in the depression, one of Bill and Dave's guiding principles was "no long-term borrowing". Bill and Dave were extremely effective at stomping on such "growth" inanity.

There are many stories about how they did it. One of the shortest is that there was a presentation about how HP should act in one market. Packard listened, obviously growing more irritated. At the end he said "If I ever hear of anybody proposing that gaining market share is a business objective, I will personally fire them".

Yes, anybody with a brain realizes that continuous growth is *cringe* unsustainable. But at least half of those engaged in "management"... the people who drive the viral "Corporate Movement" that has infected every aspect of our society... are greedy, self-serving imbeciles who don't know enough to know that they should care about how their very existence is destroying not only our society, but the concept of society itself on a global scale.

All they care about is being able to retire in the Hamptons, even if their grandchildren grow up in a toxic waste dump.

mnem
A meme is the hardest thing there is to kill... and the meme of "Corporation" is killing us all.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #29926 on: April 22, 2019, 10:27:56 pm »
She was a circus monkey.

Yes, but in hindsight it is obvious that "The HP Way" was dead when whatever happened that made her place at HP possible, long before she dared utter the words.

mnem
Any mechanism that makes people disposable is by definition inhumane, and should be an affront to all humanity.

It is actually more insidious than that... CEOs, at least in the United States, are overwhelmingly compensated on the basis of short term stock performance that isn't coupled with a clawback if a short term "win" turns into a long term loss. And again, in the United States, underperforming CEOs are rarely fired, and most change jobs every five years of their own volition.

So, if you assume that a "hired" CEO, being a rational creature, is going to make decisions that maximize their personal return, what's the outcome likely to be?  Acquisition binges, decreased investment in R&D, spreadsheet-driven decision making, and so on, all focused on getting as much money out of the cash register and into one's own pocket as possible over a couple of years.

But the real situation is even worse. If they do manage to get fired, most CEOs walk out the door with millions of dollars in compensation and a NDA that guarantees no one will tell their next employer just how lousy they were at the job.

specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29927 on: April 22, 2019, 10:39:54 pm »
She was a circus monkey.

mnem
Having grow up in the depression, one of Bill and Dave's guiding principles was "no long-term borrowing". Bill and Dave were extremely effective at stomping on such "growth" inanity.

There are many stories about how they did it. One of the shortest is that there was a presentation about how HP should act in one market. Packard listened, obviously growing more irritated. At the end he said "If I ever hear of anybody proposing that gaining market share is a business objective, I will personally fire them".

Yes, anybody with a brain realizes that continuous growth is *cringe* unsustainable. But at least half of those engaged in "management"... the people who drive the viral "Corporate Movement" that has infected every aspect of our society... are greedy, self-serving imbeciles who don't know enough to know that they should care about how their very existence is destroying not only our society, but the concept of society itself on a global scale.

All they care about is being able to retire in the Hamptons, even if their grandchildren grow up in a toxic waste dump.

This transcends corporations and into all aspects of human existence.

Anyway going to bed now. I'm tired and just spent the last 3 hours watching Adventure Time and The Animatrix and refreshing ebay searches :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29928 on: April 22, 2019, 10:55:28 pm »
You're not showing me a downside here...  :-DD

mnem
Are you gonna eat that?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29929 on: April 22, 2019, 11:05:47 pm »
Good grief HP Nixie counters are still fetching big money. HP 5221B closed at $101.50 plus shipping. :o

You can't complain too much, you do have a much better chance of finding those counters than we have over here.  :(

This is the only HP Nixie one on ePay UK at the moment, but unfortunately the price has the decimal point in the wrong place.  :palm:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183533749997

David

**faint** *thud*

holy shitballs!  my basement is a goldmine!  should probably invest in an alarm system.

in other news............….yesterday my brother gave me this counter he found in his girlfriends attic.  80 Mhz and 6 digits.  pretty crappy, however it does work.  BUT it did not come with a power cord.  any suggestions?
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29930 on: April 22, 2019, 11:39:40 pm »
BUT it did not come with a power cord.  any suggestions?

Replace the mains filter (and integral connector) with an IEC connector/filter?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29931 on: April 22, 2019, 11:57:26 pm »
She was a circus monkey.

mnem

That is so right, any company will reach its natural level and size, the limiting factor is really its willingness to broaden its portfolio of products and markets that it operates in. My old company held distorted views of the size of the UK market for its rather limited product range. The products by and large were indeed excellent but if you don't tell anyone about them they wont sell. Advertising was almost zero, relying on their website for getting word out in the market place and I'll bet this forum gets more hits in a single day then their website did in a year :palm:

They also focused on turnover rather than profit and thats not helped by salesmen who cannot overcome objections about something. Instead of probing further to establish the real reason for the objection and then trying it into something positive, they only offer discounts in a race to the bottom. :--
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29932 on: April 23, 2019, 12:05:13 am »
She was a circus monkey.

mnem

It is actually more insidious than that... CEOs, at least in the United States, are overwhelmingly compensated on the basis of short term stock performance that isn't coupled with a clawback if a short term "win" turns into a long term loss. And again, in the United States, underperforming CEOs are rarely fired, and most change jobs every five years of their own volition.

So, if you assume that a "hired" CEO, being a rational creature, is going to make decisions that maximize their personal return, what's the outcome likely to be?  Acquisition binges, decreased investment in R&D, spreadsheet-driven decision making, and so on, all focused on getting as much money out of the cash register and into one's own pocket as possible over a couple of years.

But the real situation is even worse. If they do manage to get fired, most CEOs walk out the door with millions of dollars in compensation and a NDA that guarantees no one will tell their next employer just how lousy they were at the job.

Very true, its all about them screwing everybody to get the top as quickly as they can, lining their pockets en route and when they fail, and they usually do, they already have someone lined as the fall guy until they cannot get away with it any longer, so they leave after negotiating a good severance package and a good reference for the next victim to suckered in by. In the meantime they leave a trail of broken companies and decent good hard working people who have had their world turned upside down and generally far worse off as a result of their sheer greed.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #29933 on: April 23, 2019, 12:10:29 am »
I've heard eyewitness stories about the night and day difference between the culture inside the HP of Bill and Dave and the HP of Carly Fiorina. Bill and Dave, at company dinners, would pick places at the tables with the rank and file engineers and talk to them. The first company dinner after the transition, the CEO and her entourage had a 'special' table to themselves on the dais. She spoke, and then left without talking to anyone outside of the C suite. And to cap it off, they confiscated employee's cameras because no unauthorized photos of the CEO were allowed.  :--

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29934 on: April 23, 2019, 12:27:23 am »

yeah.  that's probably the way to go.   have a couple of hamfests coming up.  will probably spend a little time digging thru boxes of crusty power cords and then will give up and go buy an IEC connector.

(was half afraid that mnem would come up with some genius solution that would send me down the 3d printer rabbit hole.)
free range primate

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29935 on: April 23, 2019, 12:42:36 am »
Anyone with a Tek 2465B parts mule they can spare the case from for Dave's fixer up ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1203-repair-tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #29936 on: April 23, 2019, 01:19:02 am »
@Nixifreqq

Whats the counter on the bottom left?  More details please.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:21:15 am by kj7e »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29937 on: April 23, 2019, 01:57:13 am »
Anyone with a Tek 2465B parts mule they can spare the case from for Dave's fixer up ?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-1203-repair-tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope/

The only spare case I have is for a 465/475 with a DM44 option which won't fit.

I watched the entire video and I'm very surprised the scope booted and works pretty well despite those leaky tants on the logic board. But as others have warned Dave if he doesn't change them they will eventually damage the traces on the board.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29938 on: April 23, 2019, 01:59:31 am »
@Nixifreqq

Whats the counter on the bottom left?  More details please.

hmmmmm.  that there is an ex us navy AN/USM-207.  it is a basic 50 Mhz 8 digit counter, but does have a 500 Mhz heterodyne converter plug in.  my recollection is that it was made in philly by AEL.  it is at the bottom of the stack because in my opinion it is a POS despite the military nomenclature.

the boards are all kinda flimsy.

removing the covers takes forever because of the dozens of freaking screws.

the nixies are biquinary bastards and tough to find.

the front panel is just NOT intuitive and the knobs and switches are small and hard to actuate  (maybe they were ok for young sailors....but not for an old geezer with arthritis)

fortunately it did come with the unobtainium  mil style power cord.

give me a genuine bill and dave approved 5245/48 any day!
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29939 on: April 23, 2019, 02:49:48 am »
yeah.  that's probably the way to go.   have a couple of hamfests coming up.  will probably spend a little time digging thru boxes of crusty power cords and then will give up and go buy an IEC connector.

(was half afraid that mnem would come up with some genius solution that would send me down the 3d printer rabbit hole.)

https://youtu.be/xoxhDk-hwuo

Heh.  :-+

mnem
3DP: It's what's for dinner.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29940 on: April 23, 2019, 03:10:29 am »

I have one 2465 parts mule, but kindof wanted the case to protect it during my move in a couple months. And shipping to Oz will be painful. And I don't know if the shell is the same or not; I do know the back cover is different to accommodate the 8020 axial fan they upgraded to for the 2465B. Can anybody confirm?

That said... if nobody closer steps up in a week or two, I'll send him mine.  :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:14:34 am by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29941 on: April 23, 2019, 03:15:51 am »
That package glitter bomb is amazing  :-DD

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29942 on: April 23, 2019, 03:16:54 am »
Yeah, even when there's no picture, as soon as you hear it spinning up you start laughing. >:D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #29943 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:08 am »

I have one 2465 parts mule, but kindof wanted the case to protect it during my move in a couple months. And shipping to Oz will be painful. And I don't know if the shell is the same or not; I do know the back cover is different to accommodate the 8020 axial fan they upgraded to for the 2465B. Can anybody confirm?

That said... if nobody closer steps up in a week or two, I'll send him mine.  :-+

mnem

Wait for few days until I'm back home, as I own 2465B and 2465, will compare & report back.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29944 on: April 23, 2019, 03:20:56 am »
And then the fart spray...I lost it when it sprayed again 30 seconds later.  :-DD I guess those 4 idiots were in a new car too.  >:D

Yeah, even when there's no picture, as soon as you hear it spinning up you start laughing. >:D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29945 on: April 23, 2019, 03:30:59 am »

mnem
They look very very similar.......I'd take the punt.
See here:
https://youtu.be/Rp-0FqxQkBw?t=271
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29946 on: April 23, 2019, 03:48:38 am »

mnem
Wait for few days until I'm back home, as I own 2465B and 2465, will compare & report back.

Do me a favor if you will; as well as checking to see that the air holes are laid out the same, please also check that the overall shell length is the same. I vaguely remember reading that there were two models where the case appears identical, except one revision is approx 8mm longer. I can't remember if that was this family of scopes or not.

Cheers,

mnem
*Toddling off to ded*

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29947 on: April 23, 2019, 03:57:12 am »
She spoke, and then left without talking to anyone outside of the C suite. And to cap it off, they confiscated employee's cameras because no unauthorized photos of the CEO were allowed.  :--

My guess is the plausible deniability of the trend in leadership that really only care's about war profiteering... whether U.S. interests, overseas interests or the investment cabal interests.   Quality of goods and services for the longest reasonable term and the needs of in general others is a thing of the pre-George Soros Made in the U.S.A. era... now with his post Axis State now global influence and concerns ways and means.

https://youtu.be/SGWizajL7tA?t=146

Throw away everything economics other than the rich or brutes or next Marxist fearless.  Back to chess board card games Titles of Nobility with Titles of Corporations now.

:horse:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:02:30 am by PrecisionAnalytic »

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29948 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:52 am »
Yep. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy collecting HP and Tek stuff (other than their continued utility...a testament to the fine engineering and manufacturing work that went into them). It really is preservation of an era where "Made in the USA" meant something.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29949 on: April 23, 2019, 04:01:17 am »
I'll plaster this here also in case anyone has any info.  I'm hooked on this system at the moment.

I'm trying to open source share and still gather information regarding the Pacific Measurements or Wavetek 1038 system.

I updated the Tekwiki regarding, have more to scan and figured I'd reach out to this group to see if we have any of the missing pieces of the puzzle of details I'm trying to find.

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Pacific_Measurements_1038

Please reply here or on one of the groups.io threads where I posted.

https://groups.io/g/TekScopes2/topic/pacific_measurements_or/31300494

I created a FB page also if anyone is interested and wants to show off their Pacific Measurements and/or Wavetek systems:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/698747963909529/

Thanks in advance for your time, consideration and support!   :horse:    :popcorn:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:03:23 am by PrecisionAnalytic »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf