Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563223 times)

Robert763, DC1MC and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #29975 on: April 23, 2019, 02:10:50 pm »
First one of the 7150 Plus meters is fitted with its new filter and has been test now 75 minutes and it would appear to be in pretty good condition as regard to its DC Volts calibration as this photos shows, it ties nicely with my other meters apart from the HP3468A which is reading a little low and I can calibrate this but haven't bothered as yet as it is certainly near enough for my purposes. So far I call that a win, on to meter number 2 in a little while, off to the hospital with my son now for physio therapy.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, bd139, PrecisionAnalytic, grizewald

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #29976 on: April 23, 2019, 02:47:17 pm »
Hows your elbow this morning, if its anything like my sons knee cap it will be slow to repair itself and painful for a long time so make sure you have plenty of pain killers handy. Personally I find that the Deep Heat cream is quite good if you can put up with the smell of it. 
Better actually. Can't fully extend or contract it but the swelling has gone down a bit. I think this one might be a quicker recovery than your son's knee. Naproxin FTW although it's making me feel sick. I'm still going to try and hit the radio rally in Andover on Sunday and have Avengers Endgame booked on Thursday which I will Uber myself to :D
My attitude is to minimise the use of painkillers during the day, but dose myself at night for a good sleep. The exception to that is if minimising swelling will aid recovery, in which case I'll take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Don't forget you can take a max dose of ibuprofen plus a max dose of paracetamol, since they have different metabolic pathways. Be aware that the max dose of paracetamol has been reduced from 90 to 65mg/kg of body weight, so 4*2 tablets can be a bit dicey if you are small.

What happens if you exceed that? Well, paracetamol is extremely safe up to a limit; beyond that the bodies' metabolic pathway is saturated and so a different metabolioc pathway kicks in. The latter creates formaldehyde, which is bad news for the liver!

Maybe I've been lucky or insensate, but even after an operation I haven't had to use the tramadol they've sent home with me.

As for Andover, what would happen if you get there and your elbow strongly suggests you shouldn't drive back?

Yup. My usual back pain cocktail is OTC 500mg Acetaminophen/800mg ibuprofen; I try not to do that more than twice in a day. Tramadol was nice for my tooth post-extraction though; I could still think as opposed to the Vicodin which just made me fuzzy. I saved that for when I got woke up in the middle of the night by the pain as it just knocked me right out again. :-+

All gone now... just as well. I have family history of "tendency towards dependency".  :-\

mnem
*Back to the salt mines*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29977 on: April 23, 2019, 03:10:20 pm »
Hows your elbow this morning, if its anything like my sons knee cap it will be slow to repair itself and painful for a long time so make sure you have plenty of pain killers handy. Personally I find that the Deep Heat cream is quite good if you can put up with the smell of it. 

Better actually. Can't fully extend or contract it but the swelling has gone down a bit. I think this one might be a quicker recovery than your son's knee. Naproxin FTW although it's making me feel sick. I'm still going to try and hit the radio rally in Andover on Sunday and have Avengers Endgame booked on Thursday which I will Uber myself to :D

My attitude is to minimise the use of painkillers during the day, but dose myself at night for a good sleep. The exception to that is if minimising swelling will aid recovery, in which case I'll take paracetamol/ibuprofen.

Don't forget you can take a max dose of ibuprofen plus a max dose of paracetamol, since they have different metabolic pathways. Be aware that the max dose of paracetamol has been reduced from 90 to 65mg/kg of body weight, so 4*2 tablets can be a bit dicey if you are small.

What happens if you exceed that? Well, paracetamol is extremely safe up to a limit; beyond that the bodies' metabolic pathway is saturated and so a different metabolioc pathway kicks in. The latter creates formaldehyde, which is bad news for the liver!

Maybe I've been lucky or insensate, but even after an operation I haven't had to use the tramadol they've sent home with me.

As for Andover, what would happen if you get there and your elbow strongly suggests you shouldn't drive back?

Yes I do the same. I'm actually dropping the naproxin as of this evening's dose and going down to 400mg normal ibuprofen. Once in morning once at night. Paracetamol doesn't work on me at all.

Got some 30/500 co-codamol in the cupboard for emergencies. Couple of them and you could fight a ninja off with your bloody stumps.

As for the Andover, I will see how I feel on the morning. At the moment it's a no but the objective is to keep mobile until that date. Last time I did something like this I was operating normally apart from aches after 4 days. Fortunately it's not that bad so far and getting better rapidly. Been doing light stretching exercises hourly. Also my cousin lives in Andover and I'm going there anyway so I'll crash on the sofa for the night.

Injury shall not defeat the TE addiction though. 3310A arrived and is unpacked and opened for inspection. All this is done with one hand as it's a nice HP chassis that's easy to get into. My eldest got it out of the box. Whole thing is complete and in excellent condition. No sign of any trouble. No bad capacitors. Works perfectly! SN and date codes point to 1984 which is a bit later than I thought. Probably near the end of the line for this little function generator.

Insides

Comes with full original service manual with pull out schematics! Binding was shattered but that can be replaced.

Sitting on the bench. Calibration is pretty good and stability is excellent.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, kj7e, beanflying, PrecisionAnalytic, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #29978 on: April 23, 2019, 03:21:39 pm »
As for the Andover, I will see how I feel on the morning. At the moment it's a no but the objective is to keep mobile until that date. Last time I did something like this I was operating normally apart from aches after 4 days. Fortunately it's not that bad so far and getting better rapidly. Been doing light stretching exercises hourly. Also my cousin lives in Andover and I'm going there anyway so I'll crash on the sofa for the night.

Have you been told not to drive? (Daughter was after she broke her elbow two days before a house move, doh.) If so you'll need a medic's OK before you drive again, lest you be uninsured :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29979 on: April 23, 2019, 03:24:05 pm »
No they said nothing at all other than fuck off. This is the NHS after all. I won’t drive if it’s not safe to do so. Do not fear. Like I said 80% not likely to go. I’ve set myself a psychological objective more than anything.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:25:37 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29980 on: April 23, 2019, 03:31:54 pm »
First one of the 7150 Plus meters is fitted with its new filter and has been test now 75 minutes and it would appear to be in pretty good condition as regard to its DC Volts calibration as this photos shows, it ties nicely with my other meters apart from the HP3468A which is reading a little low and I can calibrate this but haven't bothered as yet as it is certainly near enough for my purposes. So far I call that a win, on to meter number 2 in a little while, off to the hospital with my son now for physio therapy.

Looking good there. A mighty fine stack of meters too  :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29981 on: April 23, 2019, 03:37:49 pm »
No they said nothing at all other than fuck off. This is the NHS after all. I won’t drive if it’s not safe to do so. Do not fear. Like I said 80% not likely to go. I’ve set myself a psychological objective more than anything.

You live in the wrong part of the country, or a face that "stimulates" people :)

Today I had a very pleasant session fitting new deafaids: it took over an hour and three quarters (how much would that cost in the US?), and started with an apology for being 10 minutes late starting. But given that a colleague had come in and then had to go home through illness, I think that was more than acceptable!

My daughter and mother have had similar good experiences.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29982 on: April 23, 2019, 03:43:36 pm »
Looking good there. A mighty fine stack of meters too  :-+

Meh. Now try doing it with 7 and 8 digit voltmeters :(

But that deserves an explanation... I'm feeling a bit pissed off ATM, since I can't tell which of these has changed: 7 digit 7075, 8 digit 7081, 5.5 digit  3468, 5.5 digit 1061, two voltage sources.

Fortunately there might be an unofficial calfest nearby next month. I'll wait until after that before tweakign my other 7075 :)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29983 on: April 23, 2019, 04:05:35 pm »

You live in the wrong part of the country, or a face that "stimulates" people :)

Today I had a very pleasant session fitting new deafaids: it took over an hour and three quarters (how much would that cost in the US?), and started with an apology for being 10 minutes late starting. But given that a colleague had come in and then had to go home through illness, I think that was more than acceptable!

I think this was down to one particular doctor this experience who appeared to have majored in Thai massage or assassination in a precious life. They’re usually really good here. I was in and xrayed in no time at all. Radiographer and triage nurse were very nice to their patients.

US I’d probably just be deaf or die from thrombosis or something.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29984 on: April 23, 2019, 04:47:27 pm »
The only way I'll miss this hamfest on Sunday is if I'm dead.  :-DD I heard this is a big one and well attended with lots of vendors. We'll see.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29985 on: April 23, 2019, 04:54:18 pm »

I think this was down to one particular doctor this experience who appeared to have majored in Thai massage or assassination in a precious life. They’re usually really good here. I was in and xrayed in no time at all. Radiographer and triage nurse were very nice to their patients.

US I’d probably just be deaf or die from thrombosis or something.

No. The FIRST question they ask you even if you are bleeding out or have a bullet wound is do you have insurance? They wanna be paid and someone with no insurance is an eventual write off. So they start the "write off" process right from the get go and you may kick the bucket before they get back to you.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29986 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:33 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: PrecisionAnalytic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29987 on: April 23, 2019, 06:39:10 pm »
 :-+

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29988 on: April 23, 2019, 06:49:48 pm »

I thought you had previously said you were impressed.

Being aloof, superior and not very communicative used to be SOP for medics, back when they couldn't do much and so relied on patients believing what they said. When I was a kid I watch my mother deal with a competent Sir Lancelot Spratt; it was educational to see him realise he had been rumbled :)

Nowadays enterprise server software consultants have probably taken up that Spratt mantle, especially in the fintech sector ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29989 on: April 23, 2019, 07:00:52 pm »
I was impressed overall. Just that was a low point :)

There are plenty of Spratts out there. Dealing with them is my forte. I'm more a Dell Boy selling dodgy spoons.

This is an accurate portrayal of the average NHS experience, from Monty Python. I'm not moaning - a couple of family members have had near misses which would have cost 6/7 figures in the US and walked away alive...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29990 on: April 23, 2019, 07:15:54 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.

It's not that "we the people" haven't campaigned; and it's not that "we the people" haven't voted for such measures every every chance we get. It's that the votes are counted by the same corrupt motherfuckers who've been bought by and who are selling us all by the pound to the corporations that we still treat like God over here.  :palm:

mnem
It doesn't matter who votes; it matters who counts the votes.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29991 on: April 23, 2019, 07:19:10 pm »
The only way I'll miss this hamfest on Sunday is if I'm dead.  :-DD I heard this is a big one and well attended with lots of vendors. We'll see.

I'd go just to be able to say I took a whizz on Taffy Lane.  :-DD

mnem
*dirty-minded ol' reptile* >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29992 on: April 23, 2019, 07:32:45 pm »

It's not that "we the people" haven't campaigned; and it's not that "we the people" haven't voted for such measures every every chance we get. It's that the votes are counted by the same corrupt motherfuckers who've been bought by and who are selling us all by the pound to the corporations that we still treat like God over here.  :palm:

mnem
It doesn't matter who votes; it matters who counts the votes.
Yes yes we know all that and by the way things are going over here, we'll be joining you in that cess pit before much longer as well I fear. I don't think that we have anything else left to privatise. :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29993 on: April 23, 2019, 07:42:52 pm »
Injury shall not defeat the TE addiction though. 3310A arrived and is unpacked and opened for inspection. All this is done with one hand as it's a nice HP chassis that's easy to get into. My eldest got it out of the box. Whole thing is complete and in excellent condition. No sign of any trouble. No bad capacitors. Works perfectly! SN and date codes point to 1984 which is a bit later than I thought. Probably near the end of the line for this little function generator.

Comes with full original service manual with pull out schematics! Binding was shattered but that can be replaced.

Sitting on the bench. Calibration is pretty good and stability is excellent.

Nice score getting it with an original manual. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29994 on: April 23, 2019, 07:55:35 pm »

I thought you had previously said you were impressed.

Being aloof, superior and not very communicative used to be SOP for medics, back when they couldn't do much and so relied on patients believing what they said. When I was a kid I watch my mother deal with a competent Sir Lancelot Spratt; it was educational to see him realise he had been rumbled :)

Nowadays enterprise server software consultants have probably taken up that Spratt mantle, especially in the fintech sector ;)
Arh, yes, the Doctor series of films, I remember them well, for the benefit of others who have no idea what we are talking about here's a short clip.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #29995 on: April 23, 2019, 08:45:57 pm »
I was a Boy Scout for only about a year and never made it past the rank of tenderfoot but I do remember their motto. “Be Prepared”. I am prepared. I always put this in the window at the end of April when it's still cool. There is nothing worse than jackassing these heavy units into the window when it's hot and you got sweaty, sticky and smelly family jewels. So it's installed and tested and ready to go. And it just so happens that it reached 27 C today so the hot weather isn't far off. I am prepared.  :-+

TEA news. The 465B parts mule shipped. According to FedEx it will arrive tomorrow. I doubt that. It's coming from Baltimore. But we'll see. Maybe I'll get a surprise. :-//

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29996 on: April 23, 2019, 08:52:59 pm »
First one of the 7150 Plus meters is fitted with its new filter and has been test now 75 minutes and it would appear to be in pretty good condition as regard to its DC Volts calibration as this photos shows, ...

The curse of precision. This trio are nearly in agreement, but it varies from range to range. Of course, my voltage source isn't calibrated either.

Getting even one of them properly calibrated and adjusted would probably cost more than I paid for the entire contents of my messy bench.

What's a man to do?  :-//

Lord of Sealand

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29997 on: April 23, 2019, 08:54:23 pm »
Ding!

Views: 1281227 (or thereabouts)
Page: 601
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 08:56:25 pm by tggzzz »

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #29998 on: April 23, 2019, 08:57:46 pm »
30K!?! :scared: **thud**
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29999 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:57 pm »
Arh, yes, the Doctor series of films, I remember them well, for the benefit of others who have no idea what we are talking about here's a short clip.

I just trawled that clip a little while ago upon Guugling the name to get a clue. I got about 90 seconds into the scene before I was ready to smash the bastard in the junk with a curling stone.  :-DD

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf