Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551449 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30025 on: April 23, 2019, 10:57:41 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator
4. HP analogue voltmeter (427A)

Am I a fanboy?
Just saw a a fine looking one on continental Ebay.
And I don't want to dangle the 4261A before your nose, as it is sure that it will become redundant in the near future, but the timeframe is not yet decided.

Thanks for the heads up on the 427A!  I have sent the seller a message asking if he will post to England. My German isnt great so I wonder if he’ll respond  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30026 on: April 23, 2019, 10:58:17 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.
While I understand certainly the argument for change concerning the U.S. (as I do to a certain degree for their distractors), I would rather not suggest that they replace 'rotten' with 'broken'. It will not work properly until a compulsory system of insurance is coupled to any job. And payed by both parties to that contract. After that they can judge if they have enough to provide the remainder for free.
The problem with insurance as you describe it is that you have to have a job in the first place and not everyone has a job or indeed maybe either of employable age or well enough, or even retired, so what happens then? What happens if a natural disaster happens, are going to check everybody for insurance first? Failure to act in some instances could well lead to national epidemic that without prompt action in all known cases cause for worse things, like the Black Death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30027 on: April 23, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
And I don't want to dangle the 4261A before your nose, as it is sure that it will become redundant in the near future, but the timeframe is not yet decided.

Thanks for the heads up on the 427A!  I have sent the seller a message asking if he will post to England. My German isnt great so I wonder if he’ll respond  :-DD
Feel free to contact me for assistance in communication. Also for trans-shipping, if necessary.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30028 on: April 23, 2019, 11:13:08 pm »
After something slightly older if I'm honest. Without hybrids in it. Possibly HP 180 series: https://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1966-08.pdf

Used the 180 in mainframe test of IBM S/370-3158. They worked well but a lot of techs didn't like them because they were used to Tek. The 180's were replaced with 475A/DM44's about 1978 or so.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30029 on: April 23, 2019, 11:29:21 pm »
Nah, you mericans have got it all wrong, life is precious and is worth saving, you should all campaign for better from your governments, after all, you can't work to pay your taxes unless you're fit and well. No work, no pay, no spending, no profits, no taxes and that vicious circle could be stopped if your health system was like our NHS, free at the point of delivery.
While I understand certainly the argument for change concerning the U.S. (as I do to a certain degree for their distractors), I would rather not suggest that they replace 'rotten' with 'broken'. It will not work properly until a compulsory system of insurance is coupled to any job. And payed by both parties to that contract. After that they can judge if they have enough to provide the remainder for free.
The problem with insurance as you describe it is that you have to have a job in the first place and not everyone has a job or indeed maybe either of employable age or well enough, or even retired, so what happens then? What happens if a natural disaster happens, are going to check everybody for insurance first? Failure to act in some instances could well lead to national epidemic that without prompt action in all known cases cause for worse things, like the Black Death. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death
As far as natural disasters and pandemics are concerned, the U.S. are not worse of than either of our countries, because the govenment can take control of all and any resources it needs once such a situation is declared.
But how to build a sustainable system of health insurance is a different topic. They started here in 18umpteen with the workforce, then extending it to their dependents and pensioners. It is mandatory, but it is not the state that pays for it - it rather defined the legal framework, under which the providers must operate. Then, when such a system is in place, the state could pick up the burden to care for those left outside.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30030 on: April 23, 2019, 11:34:47 pm »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
Any idea yet which model or generation that should be?
And why did you omit the pulse generator? To say nothing of the.....(taking cover now)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30031 on: April 23, 2019, 11:37:54 pm »
Wait'll he sees what's waiting for him at his local PO...  >:D

Yup, I got it! The exterior box was pretty banged up, but the inner layer(s) were pristine. Thank you, mnem! Also, the 3DP cover is very cool. :-+

Now, I need to find a cozy spot for it and get some probes that won't suffocate it. Then, I can start re-learning how to use an analog scope. ^-^

So, mnem, what is the ubiquitous intermittent HV fault that you mentioned in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1528642/#msg1528642 (almost a year ago)?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:54:03 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: grbk, 0culus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30032 on: April 23, 2019, 11:44:06 pm »
Ok, those probe power outlets on the FRONT are a definive plus compared to those offered as options on the REAR for the later models. Because the cables on the active probes, when connected that way, become somewhat short overall.

And now I understand MNEMs post and pictures - whoa, huge print. I had thought that to be a plaque/label, maybe a screen cover..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30033 on: April 23, 2019, 11:46:23 pm »
Yeah, I also thought it was a screen cover in the first photos since the 454 is widescreen. Hmm, widescreen CRT. How modern. ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30034 on: April 24, 2019, 01:59:54 am »
As far as natural disasters and pandemics are concerned, the U.S. are not worse of than either of our countries, because the govenment can take control of all and any resources it needs once such a situation is declared.
But how to build a sustainable system of health insurance is a different topic. They started here in 18umpteen with the workforce, then extending it to their dependents and pensioners. It is mandatory, but it is not the state that pays for it - it rather defined the legal framework, under which the providers must operate. Then, when such a system is in place, the state could pick up the burden to care for those left outside.

Not worse, eh? Ask the citizens of Puerto Rico about that. Or my own town (as abhorrent as it may be) of Houston... how it is that a single corrupt man can steal the Disaster Relief monies procured for both and use them to built a private militia on the border for the singular purpose of terrorizing poor brown people so they don't show up at the polls.

You're talking about the difference between Universal Healthcare and Single Payer. Single payer, essentially what you espouse, is just a BS stopgap to KEEP basic medical care for-profit. That by definition makes it literally a death sentence (for sure an early death for many) to be poor and old.

We used to understand on a fundamental level the need for basic "public services". In this age of plenty, the idea that it is somehow okay for the poor, disabled or old to die simply because they no longer make money for the privileged few is abhorrent. It is also a core principal of the corporate mentality; the idea that people are disposable but profit is not.

mnem
Just say "No thank you."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:07:46 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30035 on: April 24, 2019, 02:02:09 am »
Not that I want to encourage anyone to get a 427A but the one I won at auction last week (55USD, shipped) with the original manual and a power cord, arrived today.

It is in pretty good mechanical shape except for the obviously badly replaced meter cover. Inside looks good, too, other than that suspect 0.1mfd 600V capacitor down there. 

Powered it up. AC performance is, well, terrible. The meter bounces all over the place and the only readings that are near right are in the low voltage ranges at 1MHz. DC performance is good. Resistance performance is good. I will probably fix this one before I tackle the 400EL which appears to be in much worse shape.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:14:06 am by wch »
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, bd139, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30036 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:49 am »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?

Feel free to contact me for assistance in communication. Also for trans-shipping, if necessary.

Poor bd139 seems he has no choice to buy one and join the 427A club  :-DD Not sure what the online manuals are like but I have a good quality paper one if anyone wants bits scanned.

Should we start a specific thread?
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30037 on: April 24, 2019, 02:52:11 am »
Randomness from an Evilbay search for used 'Multimeter' and this turned up. Seller has what appears to be 3 HP 427A meter movements not listed as such :o eBay auction: #223064574713 Not cheap but if you need a movement worth an enquiry. Same Glass as my 419A too.

More Randomness Freight is way to much for me but some CHEAP Dana Nixie Multimeter eBay auction: #123359545699

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:56:29 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30038 on: April 24, 2019, 03:34:57 am »
This was on my bench when I got home today...

I dunno, do you think my wife has noticed my infatuation with Tektronix gear?  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, PrecisionAnalytic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30039 on: April 24, 2019, 04:33:20 am »
Yup, I got it! The exterior box was pretty banged up, but the inner layer(s) were pristine. Thank you, mnem! Also, the 3DP cover is very cool. :-+

Now, I need to find a cozy spot for it and get some probes that won't suffocate it. Then, I can start re-learning how to use an analog scope. ^-^

So, mnem, what is the ubiquitous intermittent HV fault that you mentioned in https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1528642/#msg1528642 (almost a year ago)?

IIRC (this was quite some while back; when it was my only working 'scope) I brought it up in the Anatek forums and was told this was a common failure mode; the carbon composite resistors in the HV would shift value and cause excessive loading in the caps, eventually breaking them down. This requires a rebuild of the resistor array and replacing HV caps in the HV doubler, as well as sometimes the resistors and pot in the grid bias circuit. Plus of course the usual seek & destroy of leaking electrolytics throughout. I think this one predated tants but probably had a few suspect jelly-roll caps; not positive though.

Supposedly, the same fault was common in the 453 as well, but as it used hybrid hollow-state/solid-state rectification, it only caused the screen to collapse rather than intermittently blowing fuses like the all solid-state 454.

The problem is... I'm not positive as I never actually fixed the thing. I just kept replacing fuses every once in a while until I got my 2465 back online... then I kept the 454 as a backup until I got my EX-NASA 2465. When I rebuilt my 2230, the 454 pretty much went in the closet never to return to active duty.  :-[

I've been searching and searching and I can't find any of that older stuff... I'm sure there's oodles of discussion on it in alt.sci.repair too, but I long ago fell out the habit and no longer even know of a working portal with access since the Purge of '08.

Manual with schematics is here: http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/454/tek%20454.pdf

I'm glad you got it in one piece; that was why I decided to print up a cover for it. I literally spent half a day trying to think of a way I could reasonably expect it to make it all the way there without one or more delicate knobs getting effed up... in the end I realized there was no other way.

So I spent another afternoon designing it, and then had some issues with my printer not liking the Gcode and randomly trying to print the damned thing at like 60% scale one time and then 100% the next... And THEN it FINALLY printed successfully... and I put it on the floor and STOOD ON IT with all my 300 lbs.  :scared:

And it HELD.  : :-+ So once I touched up the inside corners with a heat gun to get a moderate press-fit on the 454's outer bezel, I declared success and took a few victory pics, and it was time to pack up my old beast...  :-[

After med's tale of a Euckered CRT spooked me; for all you naysayers, I not only DOUBLE-BOXED it... with layers of bubble-wrap and a whole year's worth of accumulated Amazon bubble-mailers... I TRIPLE-BOXED it.  :box: 

MAXIM 37: "There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'... this into yet another box." :-DD

You all have NO IDEA how hard it was for me NOT to plaster the thread with all these pics, as I checked in on it over a day and a half:

1) A good start...
2) Good inner face and walls...
3) Almost...
4) Done! Now... to wait an hour for it to cool completely so I don't rip its face off trying to separate it...  EFF THAT!!! Turn the ceiling fan on high and crank the AC down to 67°F!!! 30 minutes of snap, crackle, pop later... it jumped off by itself right into my hot little hands!  >:D
5) I totally eyeball-measured the location of this slot for the latch-catch... I got it pretty close. But the depth I deliberately got just right so you COULD add spring-steel hooks to snap onto these catches.  :-+
6) However, I did NOT make allowances for the rubber feet that belong here. That didn't even dawn on me until it was halfway through the print.  :palm: I still don't care; I'm dead-chuffed with the results, because:
7) MONEY SHOT!!!  :clap:

mnem
Thank you for giving this beast a good home; may you both live long and prosper!  :-+

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:16:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, worsthorse, beanflying

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30040 on: April 24, 2019, 04:43:40 am »
This was on my bench when I got home today...       I dunno, do you think my wife has noticed my infatuation with Tektronix gear?  :-DD

I think she has crossed over from "Keeper" to "Enabler" status, just like mine.  :-DD

mnem
Purse and nail salon habit...? "Fair dinkum!" says I!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:53:19 am by mnementh »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30041 on: April 24, 2019, 04:55:02 am »
Real nice front cover mnem.  :clap:
You need flick that 3DP file through to Bean's thread.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30042 on: April 24, 2019, 04:57:59 am »

That is a beautiful bit of TEA right there.  :-+ It's interesting how you can sort of follow the evolution of the design from the earlier 5xx scopes, to this 454, to the 465 etc. This one has the basic layout but still has the "Type 454" designation and other older details.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30043 on: April 24, 2019, 05:14:14 am »

Thanks!

Yeah, I know. I need to get him to kibbutz with me on it too; I made a fundamental eff-up on it that I only fixed after the fact, and wanted a second opinion on how to make it right. It's on my agenda for tomorrow.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*  :=\

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30044 on: April 24, 2019, 05:20:28 am »

Thanks!

Yeah, I know. I need to get him to kibbutz with me on it too; I made a fundamental eff-up on it that I only fixed after the fact, and wanted a second opinion on how to make it right. It's on my agenda for tomorrow.  :-+

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*  :=\

The other obvious question is how many hours on the bed 20+ or not  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30045 on: April 24, 2019, 06:18:04 am »

IIRC (this was quite some while back; when it was my only working 'scope) I brought it up in the Anatek forums and was told this was a common failure mode; the carbon composite resistors in the HV would shift value and cause excessive loading in the caps, eventually breaking them down. This requires a rebuild of the resistor array and replacing HV caps in the HV doubler, as well as sometimes the resistors and pot in the grid bias circuit. Plus of course the usual seek & destroy of leaking electrolytics throughout. I think this one predated tants but probably had a few suspect jelly-roll caps; not positive though.

Supposedly, the same fault was common in the 453 as well, but as it used hybrid hollow-state/solid-state rectification, it only caused the screen to collapse rather than intermittently blowing fuses like the all solid-state 454.

The problem is... I'm not positive as I never actually fixed the thing. I just kept replacing fuses every once in a while until I got my 2465 back online... then I kept the 454 as a backup until I got my EX-NASA 2465. When I rebuilt my 2230, the 454 pretty much went in the closet never to return to active duty.  :-[

I've been searching and searching and I can't find any of that older stuff... I'm sure there's oodles of discussion on it in alt.sci.repair too, but I long ago fell out the habit and no longer even know of a working portal with access since the Purge of '08.

Manual with schematics is here: http://bama.edebris.com/download/tek/454/tek%20454.pdf

OK. At least that gives me some idea what I'm looking for (and what's going on when the fuse fails again). Thanks for the links.

I'm glad you got it in one piece; that was why I decided to print up a cover for it. I literally spent half a day trying to think of a way I could reasonably expect it to make it all the way there without one or more delicate knobs getting effed up... in the end I realized there was no other way.

Yep, it worked great! The cover is much beefier than I expected, too. Now, I want a printer. :P

After med's tale of a Euckered CRT spooked me; for all you naysayers, I not only DOUBLE-BOXED it... with layers of bubble-wrap and a whole year's worth of accumulated Amazon bubble-mailers... I TRIPLE-BOXED it.  :box: 

MAXIM37: "There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'... this into yet another box." :-DD

Overkill that prevents equipment death is a good thing.

You all have NO IDEA how hard it was for me NOT to plaster the thread with all these pics, as I checked in on it over a day and a half:

1) A good start...
2) Good inner face and walls...
3) Almost...
4) Done! Now... to wait an hour for it to cool completely so I don't rip its face off trying to separate it...  EFF THAT!!! Turn the ceiling fan on high and crank the AC down to 67°F!!! 30 minutes of snap, crackle, pop later... it jumped off by itself right into my hot little hands!  >:D
5) I totally eyeball-measured the location of this slot for the latch-catch... I got it pretty close. But the depth I deliberately got just right so you COULD add spring-steel hooks to snap onto these catches.  :-+
6) However, I did NOT make allowances for the rubber feet that belong here. That didn't even dawn on me until it was halfway through the print.  :palm: I still don't care; I'm dead-chuffed with the results, because:
7) MONEY SHOT!!!  :clap:

It fits like a glove. Really amazing job. I didn't realize the foot spacing issue, but it's not a showstopper. Bean has a model for the feet, though, which you might be able to use to mod your design.

Thank you for giving this beast a good home; may you both live long and prosper!  :-+

We shall. We shall. It's the first Tek scope I've owned. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30046 on: April 24, 2019, 06:19:31 am »
This was on my bench when I got home today...       I dunno, do you think my wife has noticed my infatuation with Tektronix gear?  :-DD

I think she has crossed over from "Keeper" to "Enabler" status, just like mine.  :-DD

I should say so. A good development, indeed.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30047 on: April 24, 2019, 06:46:09 am »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?
And why did you omit the pulse generator? To say nothing of the.....(taking cover now)

8640B most likely

@beanflying: On the 427A front I have actually owned two of these already. They were however just bounced to make some money. Now I decide I want to keep one I don’t have one  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30048 on: April 24, 2019, 06:58:43 am »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator

Am I a fanboy?

8640B most likely

@beanflying: On the 427A front I have actually owned two of these already. They were however just bounced to make some money. Now I decide I want to keep one I don’t have one  :palm:
I can certainly see the appeal, having owned that 1740A but I can't help but think the 427A is a bit boat anchorery for what it does. There is no denying the construction quality of HP gear though.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30049 on: April 24, 2019, 07:01:18 am »
... in the end I realized there was no other way.

I've sometimes wondered about making something similar principally for shipping, but I'd use plywood and a laser cutter. Something like this, with internal (or external) additions to keep it in place.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf