Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551595 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30050 on: April 24, 2019, 07:04:43 am »
We shall. We shall. It's the first Tek scope I've owned. :-+

And that's how the descent into madness begins. The hardest part of a journey is often the first step.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30051 on: April 24, 2019, 07:42:07 am »

On to purchase list:

1. HP counter
2. HP scope
3. HP signal generator
4. HP analogue voltmeter (427A)

Am I a fanboy?
Any idea yet which model or generation that should be?
And why did you omit the pulse generator? To say nothing of the.....(taking cover now)

8640B most likely

@beanflying: On the 427A front I have actually owned two of these already. They were however just bounced to make some money. Now I decide I want to keep one I don’t have one  :palm:
I can certainly see the appeal, having owned that 1740A but I can't help but think the 427A is a bit boat anchorery for what it does. There is no denying the construction quality of HP gear though.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

It’s a bit boat anchory for sure. It’s the solid state equivalent of a VTVM. It has a few neat advantages though: requires a tiny amount of current, runs off batteries, is totally floating, doesn’t require an ohms range battery, mechanical damping, lots of neat probe options up to 24kv, 100M impedance, and 500MHz and no stupid weird probes required.

Accuracy? 2%. To offend the voltnuts, that’s good enough for 95% of electronics work out there.

The main thing though is these are nice to use on a daily basis. It’s like driving a classic car (one that isn’t made of poo)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30052 on: April 24, 2019, 10:13:31 am »
Ok, maybe I can't see the wood for the fecking trees this morning but SWMBO dropped her hair dryer on my bench before going to work, telling me that it's making funny noises.

So ok, I get my meters out to do a continuity on the thing because it's one of these with the slip rings on the incoming mains supply so it can fully rotated without getting the power cord tangled.

So I connect it to my Brymen BM867 an unbelievable reading of 6.8M, so I try my MX52 and get the same, next I try HP3466A that reads 4.6M, HP3478A read 639K, Fluke 8842A reads 81.7K, Fluke 8840A agrees while the 7150 reads 3.8M and the other 7150 reads 3.8M  :wtf:, so I get out my Avo Mk8 which shows about 6M, interesting.

Grab a 2M resistor and all meters agree on 2M?  :wtf:

In other news, postman dropped this off for me yesterday, must be about a lifetimes supply of .7mm 60/40 leaded solder, 1.1kG worth. I grabbed it quick  while it was on Ebay because apparently while it has been banned from being used commercially where it is likely to used in volume as part of a production process, the EU have introduced a ban on sales to hobbyists as well now and I don't want to use that lead free shit if I can avoid it so better grab some if you can before we're forced to switch.                                                                                                                                                                                     

EDIT: WTF it would seem that meter manufacturers do not all stick to the rules when they make their meters as the hairdryer has some form of rectification in it for the fan motor and so it would seem to be logical to assume would it not that the red terminal on a meter would denote the positive regardless of if you were reading DC volts or taking a resistance measurement? Different manufacturers think otherwise, on the meters that were giving me readings in Mohms, swapping the jacks over on the meter produced more consistent readings. As Dave would say "A trap for the young players"  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:03:29 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30053 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:47 am »
The plot thickens. Dave Jones might have a "fake" 2465B.  :palm:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/fake-2465b-in-eevblog-1203/
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30054 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:17 am »
So the internerd SUX and has done off and on for several weeks. We are finally getting some fiber to the area such as the NBN  :horse: was downgraded to. Meanwhile they are obviously screwing with the exchange.  :rant: Get it done out of peak hours  :horse: :horse: :horse: First World problems waiting for an upgrade from the third world.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30055 on: April 24, 2019, 11:19:16 am »
I don't have fiber here and probably won't get it for many years. Luckily my ISP can offer speeds up to 400Mps via copper.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30056 on: April 24, 2019, 12:14:53 pm »
Mmm seems I am back for now. Had to stop what I had planned tonight  |O Rated at 19Mbps down and 0.94 up so third world is being kind and generally it runs at more like 15 download.

Sipping Port and having Dark Choc in bed so life could be worse  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #30057 on: April 24, 2019, 01:32:43 pm »
I don't have fiber here and probably won't get it for many years. Luckily my ISP can offer speeds up to 400Mps via copper.

Mine too but I am happy with 100 Mbps.  Plus, my company pays all but $5 of it. :D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30058 on: April 24, 2019, 03:20:10 pm »
I just skimmed a bit over the offerings in our beloved auction platform while sipping my start-of-weekend coffee.

Lo and behold! I think I missed something important - a massive devaluation of the British Pound! How else can it be that I see a host of offerings from the island with absolutely outrageous prices?
A 100 MHz DSO, albeit Tek, for 7,500 €!  :palm:

I'm not getting it. I'm just not getting it ...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30059 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:19 pm »
There's some crazy people here. That's all I'm saying.

Just going through my phone (bored!) and forgot to post this the other day. This was what I was doing before I buggered my arm up. I had the 475A in pieces to sort out the timebase problems. The issues turned out to be another bloody shorted 109D tantalum and a lot of crunk in the timebase switch. I stripped the whole timebase out to get at the issue. This was not much fun as it's got a DM44 wart on this scope. I also bent all the shafts back on the pots carefully which were munted (typical!) and replaced all the corroded light bulbs in the section (also typical!). It's working properly now. Next step is checkout and calibration.

The buttons are a different colour as some of them came from my (now parts mule) 465 as the original ones were knackered. I may replace all the other ones too.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:03:35 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, worsthorse

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30060 on: April 24, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »
Ah yes that was the stupid moobag who burned "The HP Way". I remember back in 99 when she ended up top. We'd just bought about a million quid's worth of HP 9000 N-class Unix kit and got very worried. She burned the entire sales and support chain and the kit was gone in two years replaced with COTS Intel stuff running SQL Server

I spent most of the early 90s to the early 2000s implementing multi-million dollar systems based on HP 9000 kit. I cut my UNIX teeth on HP-UX. Even in a little country like Sweden, the HP support people were absolutely first class. They knew their kit and the operating system inside out. True professionals who very obviously enjoyed their jobs and were proud to work for HP. On the first system I worked with, we started experiencing kernel panics at seemingly random times - pretty scary when your system is trying to process bill payments for an entire country! Anyway, the local support guys got in touch with the HP-UX gurus back in the States and sent them our crash dumps. 24 hours later, they came back with a fixed kernel and a detailed description of what had happened. It turned out to be partly our fault and partly HP's. We had a problem in a subsystem which managed shared memory and ended up trying to free an already freed area of memory. HP's problem was that the kernel tried to honour our request instead of sending back an error.

I don't know many companies today which could analyse a crash dump and return a fixed kernel in 24 hours.

Within a year of Fiorina taking over, the great tech support guys were all gone, as was the competence, support and everything else which made the HP servers a no-brainer decision for our application. By 2003, all our systems had moved to Windoze and the company never implemented anything on any UNIX again.

That time also marked the beginning of a long and painful decline in the company I worked for then. They ended up being swallowed up by an Indian company who has no experience or competence in the old company's market. At the time this rot set in, the guy who was CTO had just started sending development work to India. I remember commenting to him at the time that outsourcing work to India when there were much more experienced and professional developers available locally was a mistake, both technically and from a social point of view, but he'd already caught the 'shareholders come first' disease.

Looking back on all this is rather sad. :(

Don't hold shares in a company you wouldn't want to work for. Don't work for a company you wouldn't want to hold shares in...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30061 on: April 24, 2019, 05:28:49 pm »
"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." ~ Groucho Marx    :-DD

mnem
*ridiculous*
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:34:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30062 on: April 24, 2019, 05:30:41 pm »
   ... in the end I realized there was no other way.
   I've sometimes wondered about making something similar principally for shipping, but I'd use plywood and a laser cutter. Something like this, with internal (or external) additions to keep it in place.

Fair enough... though in all honesty, i think the "time out of my life" portion of this project was probably quite similar to what your wooden box project would represent.

It took me about 4 hours of design time (easily half of that making it pretty so it could be a permanent addition to the scope) with my "total noob Fusion skillz" then another hour or two futzing around to get a good print going. This is probably similar to laying out your box and the supports and time setting up the material; my additional print setup time was just "a facts of life" type fluke problem. Your laser cutter could just as easily waste an hour or two of your time with similar "failure to launch" type issues as well.  :-//

After that, it was literally 10 minutes with the heat gun to get it fitted perfectly, where you'd have to glue and clamp pieces and wait for it to dry, which part could easily add up to similar handling time. The difference mostly was I just went & did other things while my printer "slaved away over a hot bed".  :phew:

And in this case at least, the finished product was clearly more fitting to the overall aesthetic of the scope itself; which was actually a consideration. It was sortof a "going away present" for the old girl.  ;)   

mnem
Yes, I am hopeless.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30063 on: April 24, 2019, 06:45:36 pm »
There's this one which looks pretty good. I could probably shave £20 off it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303091513453

Comes with service manual as well.

Edit: problem with the 1740 is it's deep. I've currently got the 2225 up on the shelf above my bench where it fits rather nicely. That means I have N+1 problems again which I'm not too much of a fan of. I can squeeze a rackmount 180 up on top of the drawers where the printer currently perches.

The 180 will be just as deep as the 1740 as they use the same CRT, rack-mount ones are much harder to find too, I've been looking for decent one for quite a while. I already have the 1801A, 1821A scope modules & a 1815B TDR sampler module ready for one.
There is also a larger screen version 182C (bench model only I think).

David
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:49:46 pm by factory »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30064 on: April 24, 2019, 06:52:19 pm »
Not that I have drawn it and the 4.30am Possum has just been told to FO  :horse: this is the sort of workflow for fusion I would have done.

Sketch the outer rectangle, use the offset function to draw the inner cut out allowing a little more clearance than you did  ;D. Import your SVG/logo and place on the sketch. So you don't draw the curved corners!
Extrude to a solid box of correct height.
Extrude Cut to depth the inner.
Apply the internal fillets to the corners if their are any then apply the cosmetic ones to the outer and front face. The order is important if you are doing thin walls.
Extrude Cut the logo to depth.
At this point I would be adding some 2-3mm wide 'printable' hooks to the outside of the upper wall to keep it in place and avoid it being knocked off to easily. So 45 degree bevelled then flush with the top of the print.
Job done.

______
|         |
|         |
|         /
|       /
|      |
|      |

Zzzzzzz time if I can for a bit ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:57:05 pm by beanflying »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30065 on: April 24, 2019, 07:06:19 pm »
So I've identified all but a handful (okay maybe bucketful) of devices from the two garage forays. Here's the first of two I am puzzling over today:

It is a Tek device without a part number. A very well made adjustable RC filter, with a corner frequency between 40 and 200 MHz, though the response is pretty awful above 100 MHz.  It was in a box with a bunch of calibration fixtures, so I am guessing it is that sort of device, but what the hell do you use it for?  [head scratching gif goes here]

I will post to the tekscope list later but figured I'd see what you all think first.
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30066 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:00 pm »
Don't hold shares in a company you wouldn't want to work for. Don't work for a company you wouldn't want to hold shares in...

These are words to live by. If more of us in the technical class took heed of them, a fair number of corporate ne'er-do-wells would meet their well-deserved end.

:horse:
specialization is for insects.

Offline grbk

• Contributor
« Reply #30067 on: April 24, 2019, 07:25:29 pm »
So I've identified all but a handful (okay maybe bucketful) of devices from the two garage forays. Here's the first of two I am puzzling over today:

It is a Tek device without a part number. A very well made adjustable RC filter, with a corner frequency between 40 and 200 MHz, though the response is pretty awful above 100 MHz.  It was in a box with a bunch of calibration fixtures, so I am guessing it is that sort of device, but what the hell do you use it for?  [head scratching gif goes here]

I will post to the tekscope list later but figured I'd see what you all think first.

Could it be an input normalizer?

I have no personal experience with them, but have read a bit about them on tekscopes and elsewhere. The case doesn't look like any of the tek normalizers I've seen (rectangular metal box with a BNC on each end) but it's not too far off, and I'm sure I've only seen a small subset of the various ones tek made over the years.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30068 on: April 24, 2019, 07:43:12 pm »
The 180 will be just as deep as the 1740 as they use the same CRT, rack-mount ones are much harder to find too, I've been looking for decent one for quite a while. I already have the 1801A, 1821A scope modules & a 1815B TDR sampler module ready for one.
There is also a larger screen version 182C (bench model only I think).

Main thing with the rackmount unit is I can stick it on my (new) bench shelf when I put it together. The 1740 is too tall to do that.

These are words to live by. If more of us in the technical class took heed of them, a fair number of corporate ne'er-do-wells would meet their well-deserved end.

Unfortunately humans make great cows to intellectually or physically milk via corporate servitude and society organised around this. Thus we don't always get to work for a company we can ethically accept. Using Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, which is not ideal but a reasonable abstraction, corporations seek to fulfill their existence by threatening to take the basic needs away, not by promoting personal growth and value.

Sure you can make ethical investments but the investment power of an individual is a gnat's fart in the wind. I only use investments for selfish gains so I can stop playing the aforementioned game as soon as possible.

You can do good things in corporate servitude though even if it's an Umbrella Corporation style cesspit of evil. I worked with an engineer about 20 years ago at a defence contractor. He was a fine individual, a total pacifist, a well respected "Six Sigma black belt" according to his colleagues. We had a reasonable friendship develop. On his leaving week he gave me a motivational talk in the canteen explaining that his entire successfully executed master plan was to cause a bureaucratic mess wherever he stepped burning resources, money, time and ultimately delaying the construction of things which make the world a worse place. I salute him. He died 2 years after retirement from cancer. Another lesson on corporate servitude. When the milk runs out, you're on the street.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30069 on: April 24, 2019, 07:45:27 pm »
Not that I have drawn it and the 4.30am Possum has just been told to FO  :horse: this is the sort of workflow for fusion I would have done.

Sketch the outer rectangle, use the offset function to draw the inner cut out allowing a little more clearance than you did  ;D. Import your SVG/logo and place on the sketch. So you don't draw the curved corners!
Extrude to a solid box of correct height.
Extrude Cut to depth the inner.
Apply the internal fillets to the corners if their are any then apply the cosmetic ones to the outer and front face. The order is important if you are doing thin walls.
Extrude Cut the logo to depth.
At this point I would be adding some 2-3mm wide 'printable' hooks to the outside of the upper wall to keep it in place and avoid it being knocked off to easily. So 45 degree bevelled then flush with the top of the print.
Job done.

______
|         |
|         |
|         /
|       /
|      |
|      |

Zzzzzzz time if I can for a bit ::)

I did:

Create Solid form; measured dimensions of 454 bezel + 2X: 6mm for covalent face, +3mm for two latch notches, + 5mm minimum thickness of final collar.

Drew concentric rectangles inside form representing lip & collar. Extruded to desired depth.

Created rectangles for latch slots. Extruded down to lip height.

Did single line radii on 4 outer corners, then on all perimeter lines as a single object as needed. Did compound radii on inner & outer faces last.

Did not create logo - Just used ARIAL BLACK text on surface, extruded -2mm as a group to allow enough depth for supports: made it all look so nice & tidy!

mnem
*off to pick up the kiddles*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30070 on: April 24, 2019, 08:16:21 pm »
Surprise...this showed up today. Yep, another 465B. But this one WILL be a parts mule. It's pretty well beat up. Multiple knobs cracked and bent switches. Was advertised as not powering up and the line cord has been cut off. So I won't even try to bring it up and I have no misgivings about sacrificing it for parts. First to go is the ch 2 attenuator switch deck.

But that's tomorrow's project at which time the organ harvesting will begin.     >:D

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #30071 on: April 24, 2019, 08:33:22 pm »
Here is some cheap enclosure for the brand new DPS 5005 power supply . Eye made
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30072 on: April 24, 2019, 08:44:25 pm »
I just skimmed a bit over the offerings in our beloved auction platform while sipping my start-of-weekend coffee.

Lo and behold! I think I missed something important - a massive devaluation of the British Pound! How else can it be that I see a host of offerings from the island with absolutely outrageous prices?
A 100 MHz DSO, albeit Tek, for 7,500 €!  :palm:

I'm not getting it. I'm just not getting it ...
There is also a supplier from the UK trying to sell Bernstein Tools on Ebay.de, right along the 'big C' and a Bernstein-affiliated webshop. Their prices vary by item - from twice the original price to fourfold. They must see this themselves. I just don't get it.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30073 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:58 pm »

My guess would be a scope normaliser (can have several different names). The schematic of one for a scope with a 20pF input is shown below, and I'm sure you can find the manual!

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30074 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
Well this is impressive. Did a how fast will it go test. This is a Tektronix 475A with the lid off here and they are a bit tetchy like that usually.

I had to twiddle with the trigger controls a bit and push the volts/div up to get it to trigger but this is quite impressive:

Frequency?

Merely 365MHz

At the rated 250MHz bandwidth it looks pretty good and totally readable and the amplitude is bang on as well.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf