Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553834 times)

Vince, SingleBitError and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30100 on: April 25, 2019, 02:41:22 am »
Current:

1) 2465 Works 100%; I've had since it was new. Taken as "Spoils of War" from successful product "campaign".  :-+
1) 2465 (escaped from NASA) bought as a parts machine, but repaired 100%. (Now down with bad PSU)   :--
1) 2465 bought as a parts machine. Still a few usable parts left.   :--
1) 2230 bought DOA, repaired 100% & used for a decade, still works but with errors in POST. :-- / :-+
1) 1054Z bought new; Father's Day gift from "The Enabler", aka my wife. Cracked, working 100%.  :-+
1) Clone SALAE Scope/16CH LA  bought new, fully functional but pirated software requires 32-bit OS so PITA to use.  :-+

Not going to even begin to list meters though.  :palm:

mnem
"He did what with who for how many jellybeans?!?"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:55:56 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #30101 on: April 25, 2019, 02:52:06 am »
It is a Tek device without a part number. A very well made adjustable RC filter, with a corner frequency between 40 and 200 MHz, though the response is pretty awful above 100 MHz.  It was in a box with a bunch of calibration fixtures, so I am guessing it is that sort of device, but what the hell do you use it for?  [head scratching gif goes here]
   My guess would be a scope normaliser (can have several different names). The schematic of one for a scope with a 20pF input is shown below, and I'm sure you can find the manual!

That's a reasonable guess. I have a couple of the "RC normalizer" modules in the pile. Will treat it as such unless I find a better answer. Off to look at photos on the tek wiki to see if I can find a part number.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1118445

For those wondering. Looks like the combination of 1meg resistor vs fixed cap will give you a rough indication of the intended matching input.

The one shown above may also be usable for bitseeker's new baby to get more modern probes to play nice with the 454's 20pF inputs, at least at lower frequencies.  :-+

mnem
mrrp?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:54:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, worsthorse

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #30102 on: April 25, 2019, 03:01:17 am »

Likewise! :palm:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30103 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:40 am »
hmmm... it appears that I have more oscilloscopes than I remembered    ::)

475A - works, needs a complete refurb, hamfest find, first bench scope
   465 - no display, probably PS caps, don't remember where it came from
   466 - no display, probably PS caps, received from a neighbor
   468 - left for dead in a trash bin, parts mule
   531 - saved from being scraped, works, as old as I am, on the shelf
   2215 - works, on the shelf
   2216 - saved from trash bin, missing attenuator, parts mule
   2465 - current bench scope, needs a complete going over
   TDS420A - works, not sure what I am going to with it, on the shelf

And a DS1054, a birthday gift from my wife, also on my bench. 

The first on the list is the 475A but I have to finish rehabbing the stack of TM500 plugins first. Got another one calibrated today then found that the offset pot was fubar.  |O  So find a replacement and run through the calibration again.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:21:50 am by wch »
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #30104 on: April 25, 2019, 03:13:44 am »
It is a Tek device without a part number. A very well made adjustable RC filter, with a corner frequency between 40 and 200 MHz, though the response is pretty awful above 100 MHz.  It was in a box with a bunch of calibration fixtures, so I am guessing it is that sort of device, but what the hell do you use it for?  [head scratching gif goes here]
   My guess would be a scope normaliser (can have several different names). The schematic of one for a scope with a 20pF input is shown below, and I'm sure you can find the manual!

That's a reasonable guess. I have a couple of the "RC normalizer" modules in the pile. Will treat it as such unless I find a better answer. Off to look at photos on the tek wiki to see if I can find a part number.

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1118445

For those wondering. Looks like the combination of 1meg resistor vs fixed cap will give you a rough indication of the intended matching input.

The one shown above may also be usable for bitseeker's new baby to get more modern probes to play nice with the 454's 20pF inputs, at least at lower frequencies.  :-+

mnem
mrrp?

I need to remember that board when I am working on this older gear. There is a lot of good info there. I would guess that the device I posted is a normalizer but the input resistor value is too low. Or I am a goofball and misread it, which is more likely.  |O  I will check in the morning.  Thanks for the assist.
specialization is for insects.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30105 on: April 25, 2019, 03:39:18 am »
https://youtu.be/1wwZ8eI3jvw?t=236

Now I have a good excuse to never clean my bench...  :-DD
Haha, I'm with you on that one.

Sorry, he was a smart individual and will be sorely missed but I just can't work with a messy bench like that.

I gather from reading about him that he purposely left his work lab messy to deter other engineers from "borrowing" his stuff. His home lab, on the other hand, was kept much neater: https://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/11/book-2-chapter-17.html

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30106 on: April 25, 2019, 06:13:50 am »

Likewise! :palm:
Oh, go on list your meters, that’s my weak spot. I have far more meters than I actually need, then hear Dave Jones voice whispering in my, “You can never have too many meters” so I get another and another and so it goes on. I think I need to let some go, no more space.☹️
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline PrecisionAnalytic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30107 on: April 25, 2019, 06:24:39 am »
I'm behind on reading blogs at the moment.

The Tekwiki for the Pacific Measurements 1038 system is moving forward at full blast.   :box:

I figured I'd promote for membership (enjoy yourself... I'm not nit picky) and have a central source for resources, experiences, history or whatever insight they'd like to share regarding Pacific Measurements and Wavetek Systems.  Thanks in advance for your time and support!   :-+

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698747963909529/?hc_location=group

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #30108 on: April 25, 2019, 06:49:44 am »
I'm behind on reading blogs at the moment.

The Tekwiki for the Pacific Measurements 1038 system is moving forward at full blast.   :box:

I figured I'd promote for membership (enjoy yourself... I'm not nit picky) and have a central source for resources, experiences, history or whatever insight they'd like to share regarding Pacific Measurements and Wavetek Systems.  Thanks in advance for your time and support!   :-+

https://www.facebook.com/groups/698747963909529/?hc_location=group

That requires me to log in to farcebook (or less polite names), so sorry, that's of no use to me.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30109 on: April 25, 2019, 07:38:24 am »
Same here. Facebook is not public access.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #30110 on: April 25, 2019, 07:51:22 am »
+1 , I don't like to lie on FB registration details, but I also despise that my true personal credential in the hand of Facebook, hence no.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30111 on: April 25, 2019, 08:05:31 am »
This 465B parts unit came with this dark X-ray bezel similar to what Beanflying has on the 453. Turns out this is “Option 4 EMC Environmental” which includes this mesh filter plus and EMI filter on the mains input. This is a pix of the backside showing all the perimeter contacts to insure good shielding to the chassis. Just for giggles I installed it on one of the working 465B's and surprisingly it doesn't reduce trace intensity all that much. I thought it was going to be much worse.

And yes, it really is that filthy and it won't come clean. Don't know why.    :-//

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30112 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:29 am »
Interesting. Not seen one of them yet.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #30113 on: April 25, 2019, 09:10:29 am »
@ med
Can you get Simple Green, that stuff can work miracles on some mucks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30114 on: April 25, 2019, 09:16:23 am »
Well it appears that the DM44 on my 475A has some serious problems. The timebase readout makes no sense at all and the ohms range doesn’t work. I am thinking of removing it from the 475A as I don’t need it and putting the 465 case on the unit. I can also squeeze it on my shelf then as the DM44 is too high.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30115 on: April 25, 2019, 09:23:58 am »
What is it with DMM's today then, I've just discovered that the Current range on the 8840A has gone OC and its not the fuse, just about to open it up and investigate  :palm:

EDIT:
Loose connection on the back of the fuse holder  |O
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:53:35 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30116 on: April 25, 2019, 09:46:32 am »
@ med

I have/use Simple Green all the time. Great stuff.  :-+ But I didn't try it here. Used an ammonia based window cleaner.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30117 on: April 25, 2019, 09:51:37 am »
@ med

I have/use Simple Green all the time. Great stuff.  :-+ But I didn't try it here. Used an ammonia based window cleaner.
Do you think someone has used a solvent on that screen ? Is it smooooth as babies bum or roughened like partially melted by a solvent ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30118 on: April 25, 2019, 10:01:17 am »
@ med

Do you think someone has used a solvent on that screen ? Is it smooooth as babies bum or roughened like partially melted by a solvent ?

I hit mine with the vacuum and brush then gave it a soft brush scrub with IPA. Given the vintage of mine it is almost certainly wire. Still not using it as the Graticule's  were a PITA to see.

Currently PC tethered to phone as the Internerd is  :rant: again tonight.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30119 on: April 25, 2019, 10:04:11 am »
@ med

I hit mine with the vacuum and brush then gave it a soft brush scrub with IPA. Given the vintage of mine it is almost certainly wire. Still not using it as the Graticule's  were a PITA to see.

Currently PC tethered to phone as the Internerd is  :rant: again tonight.
Was yours as grubby as meds ?
His is downright yuck !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30120 on: April 25, 2019, 10:27:51 am »
Most of the grot on mine would have come from the disintegrated foam inside the front cover where the probes sit behind the door. As the rest of the unit was clean inside it seems to have lived in a good home.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30121 on: April 25, 2019, 11:27:35 am »
@ med

It's surface is rough so that's a good possibility. I'm not going to be using it anyway and I installed it back on the parts mule. I was just curious to see how much it darkened the trace.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30122 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:11 am »
Well it appears that the DM44 on my 475A has some serious problems. The timebase readout makes no sense at all and the ohms range doesn’t work. I am thinking of removing it from the 475A as I don’t need it and putting the 465 case on the unit. I can also squeeze it on my shelf then as the DM44 is too high.

I have a spare DM44 that as far as I know works fine except has a cracked bezel on the right side. But that's easy to swap over with yours. You can have it for the cost of shipping across the pond if you want it. Let me know.  :-+

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30123 on: April 25, 2019, 12:39:30 pm »
Thanks for the offer. Much appreciated. Will see how this goes first  :-+

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30124 on: April 25, 2019, 12:50:12 pm »
Enough? No. You don't have 20 oscilloscopes, yet. :popcorn:

If I include the defunct and no-so-well-working, I'm at 21. Enough for the time being.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf