Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553256 times)

Kosmic, battlecoder, HalFoster, SingleBitError and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #30225 on: April 27, 2019, 04:22:05 am »
Just an observation as an outsider the the USA there is very little Test Gear on Evilbay as a % coming from the East Coast and in particularly the NE  :-//

Is it a lack of Bulk Sellers, lack of industry or a tightass thing that sees Craigslist being used?  :-DD

I haven't paid much attention to the distribution of test equipment on Ebay but my last 3 Ebay purchases were all in the North East where I'm located.

The 465B and 2430 came from a bulk seller in New Jersey.
The 465B parts mule came from a bulk seller in Baltimore, Maryland.

And purchases in the past have been scattered all over. For example. The 465B/DM44 that I bought last year came from the Great Plains of Iowa.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30226 on: April 27, 2019, 07:12:49 am »
Welcome, Sapper. If you spend too much time here, it's a collection that's bound to grow.
I don't think that will be a problem to zapper, he is already fixing his crosshairs on another scope without our assistance. I think he is just for a new circle of friends who won't question his addiction, zapper we warmly welcome you to the group, you fit the mould perfectly..

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30227 on: April 27, 2019, 07:18:45 am »
Later today I'm going to be making a short (under 2 hr) road trip. If the trip is successful I will be making the best score ever. It will even beat the $65 USD Tek 2465 score from last year in terms of value/goods received. I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet. When the transaction is complete I'll do a full reveal. If the deal goes belly up I'll reveal that too.

Stay tuned.  ;D

The deal was consummated and here it is. Tek 7904. 500MHz of analog goodness. Included in the deal is a 7A26 200MHz vertical, a somewhat uncommon 7A24 400MHz vertical which is genuine 50 ohm input only, and 2- 7B80 timebase. The price for all this goodness? $100 USD! The caveat: it doesn't power up. It has the classic switch mode tick-tick which is usually the caps. Most likely a bastard tant. Should be a straight forward fix.

As you can see it fits on my custom scope cart because I designed originally with a 4 slot 7000 series in mind. So the 3 slot 7603N has been kicked off. I'm also going to have to source some FET probes in order to utilize the 7A24 vertical plug-in.

To say I am tickled pink with this find is an understatement. It's like being reunited with an old friend. The last time I had my paws on a 7904 was sometime around 1977.   

And here's the proof. The Craigslist ad.

Wish I had a Craigslist like you do around here.  Some wanker is selling a used Rigol 1054Z for $500.  Normally, I laugh and move on but I felt required to let him know new ones are $150 cheaper.  I did so kindly but I doubt he will take it that way.  That's why I used a throw away email account.
Yeh, see dickheads like that almost daily, chuck in a few LEDs and knobs and a meter or a screen and instantly they think that it's the jackpot and that they have priced it to go, poor deluded bastards. [emoji23]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30228 on: April 27, 2019, 07:24:33 am »
Later today I'm going to be making a short (under 2 hr) road trip. If the trip is successful I will be making the best score ever. It will even beat the $65 USD Tek 2465 score from last year in terms of value/goods received. I'm not going to reveal what it is just yet. When the transaction is complete I'll do a full reveal. If the deal goes belly up I'll reveal that too.

Stay tuned.  ;D

The deal was consummated and here it is. Tek 7904. 500MHz of analog goodness. Included in the deal is a 7A26 200MHz vertical, a somewhat uncommon 7A24 400MHz vertical which is genuine 50 ohm input only, and 2- 7B80 timebase. The price for all this goodness? $100 USD! The caveat: it doesn't power up. It has the classic switch mode tick-tick which is usually the caps. Most likely a bastard tant. Should be a straight forward fix.

As you can see it fits on my custom scope cart because I designed originally with a 4 slot 7000 series in mind. So the 3 slot 7603N has been kicked off. I'm also going to have to source some FET probes in order to utilize the 7A24 vertical plug-in. To say I am tickled pink with this find is an understatement. It's like being reunited with an old friend. The last time I had my paws on a 7904 was sometime around 1977.   

indeed! Well-earned!  :clap:

mnem
*Toddles off to a warm bed and warmer wife*
I was right about his tease last night would get him the Jammy Git, the Jammy Git, well done Med.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30229 on: April 27, 2019, 07:32:28 am »
We are more likely to find a dodgy car or broken chair on our local version Gumtree. |O  I did find @Brumby an Oscillator a while back not far from him but it's a rarity.

Welcome, Sapper. If you spend too much time here, it's a collection that's bound to grow.

Welcome too 'Abandon hope all ye who enter here'  ;D
Over here we have Gumtree and Shpock and though you can sometimes find test gear on it it generally falls into 2 camps, 1st one is local but overpriced crap that should be in the skip or, 2nd one, reasonable price and condition but its the other end of the country and not worth the trip incase it does turn out to be well presented junk [emoji57]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30230 on: April 27, 2019, 07:38:53 am »
Just an observation as an outsider the the USA there is very little Test Gear on Evilbay as a % coming from the East Coast and in particularly the NE  :-//

Is it a lack of Bulk Sellers, lack of industry or a tightass thing that sees Craigslist being used?  :-DD
Strikes me when I search for test gear on evilbay that the USA has heaps of on there for sale, far more than the UK has.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30231 on: April 27, 2019, 07:54:08 am »
No it disappears when gnif cocks up instead  :-DD

Everything is ephemeral. Enjoy the moment. Just try not to do it on Facebook as it’s a sack of shit.

Back in 1986, in the middle of the home computer boom, the BBC (I think it was) decided to celebrate the 900th anniversary of Doomesday Book by creating a digital record of everyday life. The main difference is that you can still read Doomesday Book - as I did when it was on show at the British Library Anglo-Saxons exhibition a while back.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #30232 on: April 27, 2019, 08:00:15 am »

Stay tuned.  ;D

As you can see it fits on my custom scope cart because I designed originally with a 4 slot 7000 series in mind. So the 3 slot 7603N has been kicked off. I'm also going to have to source some FET probes in order to utilize the 7A24 vertical plug-in.
*image snipped*

To say I am tickled pink with this find is an understatement. It's like being reunited with an old friend. The last time I had my paws on a 7904 was sometime around 1977.   

Nice!!! I've had decent luck with my P6201 on my 7904A. It even has probe power in the rear, but it's just easier to use the external 1101 supply.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:02:06 am by 0culus »

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #30233 on: April 27, 2019, 08:02:21 am »
My local Amateur radio club has had an interesting 24 hrs,
Last night we got a presentation from a local Ham, Steve VK5SFA (who also happens to be a braodcast engineer ) who won the 2019 ARRL Antenna design of the year with his double magnetic loop antenna for 1.8MHz - the design and construction is on his website
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sadler@netspace.net.au/tmla.html
At midday we had our Buy and Sell - not a great lot of sellers this year - but I was not unhappy with my purchase from a fellow Club member of some real and working "HP iron" - the past owner is very careful fellow so you know it has been well looked after. Great price AUD$50  :-+
de Rob
Edit 10-400 MHz Freq Gen
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, factory

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30234 on: April 27, 2019, 08:03:50 am »
No it disappears when gnif cocks up instead  :-DD

Everything is ephemeral. Enjoy the moment. Just try not to do it on Facebook as it’s a sack of shit.

Back in 1986, in the middle of the home computer boom, the BBC (I think it was) decided to celebrate the 900th anniversary of Doomesday Book by creating a digital record of everyday life. The main difference is that you can still read Doomesday Book - as I did when it was on show at the British Library Anglo-Saxons exhibition a while back.

Yeah as the only geek in the school at the time I actually worked on that back in the day. We had to submit articles using viewdata! I did something to do with coastal geography. Booooring lol

I knew someone who had a working laserdisc, master and full set of discs back in the late 1990s that were just tossed in a skip. He sold them for a stack of cash and used it to put a down payment on a lotus Elise he was too fat to get into which we found terribly hilarious. I couldn’t get in it either at the time either so I shouldn’t laugh  :-DD

Edit: lots of schools were issued with Domesday players but during the IT exodus away from Acorn in the 90s they had no idea of the value and they were just tossing in skips. Teachers were totally dumb in this respect. Now there aren’t many working laserdisc players out there. I made a small fortune out of this as well skip diving Acorn kit post disposal and selling on yahoo auctions 1999-2001. No Domesday for me though :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:07:07 am by bd139 »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #30235 on: April 27, 2019, 08:30:40 am »
My local Amateur radio club has had an interesting 24 hrs,
Last night we got a presentation from a local Ham, Steve VK5SFA (who also happens to be a braodcast engineer ) who won the 2019 ARRL Antenna design of the year with his double magnetic loop antenna for 1.8MHz - the design and construction is on his website
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sadler@netspace.net.au/tmla.html
At midday we had our Buy and Sell - not a great lot of sellers this year - but I was not unhappy with my purchase from a fellow Club member of some real and working "HP iron" - the past owner is very careful fellow so you know it has been well looked after. Great price AUD$50  :-+
de Rob
Edit 10-400 MHz Freq Gen

A fine boat anchor!  I used to occasionally use one of those at my old job.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30236 on: April 27, 2019, 08:55:25 am »

Nice score!  :-+

Lucky to have Craigslist as a good source of TEA. Here it's mostly dead.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30237 on: April 27, 2019, 09:12:01 am »
Med, found something for you on craigslist if you want to drive a bit  :)

https://vermont.craigslist.org/for/6864491765.html

Actually I might be closer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 09:13:55 am by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30238 on: April 27, 2019, 09:27:12 am »

Strikes me when I search for test gear on evilbay that the USA has heaps of on there for sale, far more than the UK has.

I think Bean was implying that more gear is available on the West Coast vs the East Coast. He's probably correct and it makes perfect sense. For one Silicon Valley is there. And 2nd HP is in Palo Alto, California and Tek is in Beaverton, Oregon.   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30239 on: April 27, 2019, 09:41:26 am »
Med, found something for you on craigslist if you want to drive a bit  :)

https://vermont.craigslist.org/for/6864491765.html

Actually I might be closer.

That's a good 150 miles or more away from me. Some interesting stuff. Looks like the stash of an SK (silent key) and the family is getting rid of the equipment. Pix 3 on the right.....that 3 inch Heath scope. Would love to have that. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30240 on: April 27, 2019, 09:48:26 am »

Nice score!  :-+

Lucky to have Craigslist as a good source of TEA. Here it's mostly dead.

As far as my immediate area (Hudson Valley Craigslist) it's rare to see any sort of test equipment. But it is a good source to snag some occasional decent audio equipment once you sort through the junk audio and the way overpriced vintage tube gear. But if I expand my search to NYC metro area that's where these TEA gems show up.   

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #30241 on: April 27, 2019, 09:49:31 am »

I think Bean was implying that more gear is available on the West Coast vs the East Coast. He's probably correct and it makes perfect sense. For one Silicon Valley is there. And 2nd HP is in Palo Alto, California and Tek is in Beaverton, Oregon.
Thats sort of where I was heading. The NE seems to be up in price and less of it.

That Bundle Kosmic posted looks worth the drive  ;D Go on do it you are 'retired' and have time >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30242 on: April 27, 2019, 10:00:39 am »
That Bundle Kosmic posted looks worth the drive  ;D Go on do it you are 'retired' and have time >:D

I'm already running out of room and I can't save it all alone.  :-DD

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30243 on: April 27, 2019, 10:03:11 am »
Buy it and Split it up and sell it to us Deprived lot. Yep we are that desperate  :-DD

Edit: Just checked there is a bunch of Fans there you could Butcher some more scopes with  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:07:17 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30244 on: April 27, 2019, 10:16:55 am »
Buy it and Split it up and sell it to us Deprived lot. Yep we are that desperate  :-DD

Edit: Just checked there is a bunch of Fans there you could Butcher some more scopes with  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Here, I got something for you.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30245 on: April 27, 2019, 10:22:01 am »
Now that is attitude for you  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30246 on: April 27, 2019, 10:59:55 am »
If you have form so it will remain at least for a while longer :-DD

https://youtu.be/GecYd0YZGUk

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30247 on: April 27, 2019, 11:01:35 am »
If you have form so it will remain at least for a while longer :-DD

https://youtu.be/GecYd0YZGUk
[emoji57][emoji57][emoji57]

Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #30248 on: April 27, 2019, 11:59:57 am »
I was looking at FET probes on Ebay and holy crap.  :o Are these things made of gold? And it appears that half of them are missing their probe tips.  :-// What's going on here? The probe monster eating them? But I'll bet a lot, if not most, are blown out due to excess voltage.  :palm:

I wonder if it's possible to make one with decent response?  :-/O 

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30249 on: April 27, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »
I reckon our Greek Tek seller has snaffled them all  :horse: The wombat has seperated the tips from all the probes he has.  :--

Can you use non FET probes? This guy I have brought really good stuff from a couple of times. eBay auction: #173807979705 They are free shipping in Oz to me and I could forward them on if the price works.

The following users thanked this post: Monittosan, Neomys Sapiens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf